What movie sequels/prequels were better that it's original version.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
If found that the original movies were the best most of the time. I would always catch myself saying "Part 1 was better." on numerous occasion. But I think we'll all agree when I say that a few movie sequel/prequel do slip by as being better than it's original. But which movies?

I say i though X-Men 1 was horrible compared to X-Men 2. X-Men 2 rocked. Alot of people like Empire strikes back better than "A New Hope"

And oh, I thought Terminator 2 was better than pt 1.

Mando
I think there is a thread like this somewhere, but MDF needs new material so here's my opinion.

Terminator 2 was better than The Terminator Because the effects were better, and the Characters were better And overall James cameron had more experience as a director when he Directed T2, Which led to a better overall Sequel. But I prefer The First Terminator over the 3rd. Don't get me wrong, The third one was pretty awesome IMO. But the casting for John connor was pretty bad, to say the least.

Honestley, I liked the First X-men Better than the 2nd. The way they introduce the Characters in the first X-men movie was done extremley well, and I really enjoyed it. But as far as entertainment goes I preffer the 2nd, It was funnier and and had more action, which can really mess up a film when done wrong. But this time it was done right.

I Disliked Star Trek: The motion Picture, because when compared to 'Star Trek 2 The wrath of Khan' it was crap. Star Trek 2 is one of my favorite films to date. Great ending, and great suspense. Live long and prosper.

As Far as Rocky Goes, The origian 'Rocky' movie was superrior amungst other Rocky sequels. I'm still sontemplating on if Rocky 6 will blow, or be half way decent.

I also Disliked all Highlander sequels. But I really enjoy the first. The idea for that film was incredibly original, in a good way. And It's a wonder that Idea wasn't taken before.

The Godfather Part 2 better than the first one IMO. Mostly because of Robert Deniro's performance and story. It was great, and kept me looking at the film a little better than the first. But by all means the first one was excellent too. I just preffered Robert Deniro's little Prequel-like story, and how he came to be the Don.

The indiana Jones sequels were better than the original Indiana Jones film. But that's only my opinion. I think the sequels were done very well, and are the best sequels when compared to the original to date. Again, I'm not saying the first one was bad.

Nightmare on Elmstreet: 3 Was better than the first. It had a better plot outline overall, and I thuroghlly enjoyed every minute of it. High class horror entertainment. IMO.

The bourne Identity is much better than the sequel IMO, it had excellent cinematography for a action movie, and The sequel lagged behind just a tad. I really didn't even feel like watching the second one.

The first Die Hard was excellent, absolutely awesome. But the next 2 were mediocre. and i dont know what the 4th is going to be like. The idea of terrorists threats got dull after a while.

The First Matrix will outbeat the Any of the sequils any fay of the week. I watch the 2nd Matrix for the action, The 3rd matrix for the cool effects. But I watch the 1st because it blends the 2nd and 3rd together and adds originality and story, making it a solid all around fillm.

I could go on for alot longer, but right now I want to mention batman begins. Batman begins is much better than any other Batman film ever made. Chris Nolan And David S. Goyer put their heart and soul into this film, and it prevailed most magninficently.

Solo
I'm going to say SW: ESB was better than ANH.

jaden101
i personally prefered aliens to alien...i'll post more soon

DeVi| D0do
Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Before Sunset, Godfather Part II. I don't count Batman Begins because it's not a sequel...

Mando
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Before Sunset, Godfather Part II. I don't count Batman Begins because it's not a sequel...

The title of the tread says sequels/prequels.

DeVi| D0do
It's not a prequel either... It's a restart of the franchise.

bksdrums
I felt that Back to the Future 2 was better than Back to the Future. There is more story than just Marty having to get back to 1985. So many things go wrong that must be fixed in the second movie. The third was probably the worst.

Another sequel that was better than the first was The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I thought it was far better than Fist Full of Dollars. I have not seen For a Few Dollars More so I'm not sure about that one

Wolfie
Terminator 2, X-Men 2, Child's Play 2, Evil Dead 2, Back to the Future Part 2.

I'm surprised by how many see Spider-Man 2 as better than the original. There were a few scenes in #2 that really degrated the movie.

As for the Star Wars franchise, A New Hope will remain my favorite of both trilogies.

And Indiana Jones, The Last Crusade was close, but not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark, IMO.

Scary Movie 3 beat the previous two Scary Movies. That's really a matter of opinion though 'cause most of the time, you either liked the first two or you liked the third.

Solo
Originally posted by Wolfie
Scary Movie 3 beat the previous two Scary Movies. That's really a matter of opinion though 'cause most of the time, you either liked the first two or you liked the third.
Liked the first and third.

Second was horrible.

Mando
It's not a prequel either... It's a restart of the franchise.

BB itself is a prequel the way I see it. But the next two movies being added to BB would be considered a whole different Franchise all together.

Arahan
Terminator 2
Back to the Future 2
Batman Returns
LOtR 2

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Mando
BB itself is a prequel the way I see it. But the next two movies being added to BB would be considered a whole different Franchise all together.
Meh, I don't see it that way... And neither did the writers. Yeah, it does fit in with the others as a prequel story-wise, but it's so much different. And you know the next movies are going to follow the same path with the same actors, same style, same Gotham it's better to just call this lot a new set of movies. But, regardless, it is a much better film than any of the others... yes

Nevermind
Meh, I don't see it that way... And neither did the writers. Yeah, it does fit in with the others as a prequel story-wise, but it's so much different. And you know the next movies are going to follow the same path with the same actors, same style, same Gotham it's better to just call this lot a new set of movies. But, regardless, it is a much better film than any of the others... yes

I agree.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by bksdrums
I felt that Back to the Future 2 was better than Back to the Future. There is more story than just Marty having to get back to 1985. So many things go wrong that must be fixed in the second movie. The third was probably the worst.

Totally agree. I remember watching "BTTF pt2" as a kid, in the theatres exactly 11 times in '89, I'll never forget it. Although pt. 1 was a classic pt. 2 was unforgettable to me. Especially when Marty was in the Future in 2015. It's still one of my favorite movies. (top Ten)I saw it the other day with the same gleefulness i had watching it as a kid in the theatres. I still think those Nike's he had on in the future still rule, lol.

I loved the welcoming virtual Ronald Regan in the Cafe' 80's when he goes. "Welcome to the Cafe' 80's. Where it's always morning in America. Even in the after-noo-noo-noon." as if he glitched lol, I still find that kinda cool. The Virtual Micheal Jackson did it too. When he said, while talking to a customer about the menu, he goes "I comes with a side a chilantro with your choice of chicken, be-be-beef, or pork." lol. I'm retarded. I just love this movie. I guess it's because I'm a futurist. I wish 2015 would b like that but it wont. It'll be like now. It's only 10yrs 20 days away. What could possibly happen. there's no frikken progress now of anything. I honestly thought we'd see flying car by now.

But I digress.

And pt3 was the worst. That flying train was too crazy for me.

Mando
. But, regardless, it is a much better film than any of the others... yes

thumb up Most defiantly.

Red Superfly
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back

Terminator 2

Aliens

Spider-Man 2

X-Men 2

Harry Potter has been getting better with every installment too. Prisoner Of Askaban was leagues ahead of the first two confusing movies.

I liked Back To The Future more than it's sequels, even though I love all three. I also think Batman Begins doesn't count because, even though I think it is so far the best Batman movie yet, it doesn't count because these new films are a brand new set of movies, as opposed to being part of the "other" Batman continuity.

Xtremechik2
T2
Spider-Man 2
Childs Play 2
Batman Returns

Wolfie
Not to mention that Batman began in the first Michael Keaton movie as well. If Batman Begins was a prequel, he did everything twice pretty much.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Totally agree. I remember watching "BTTF pt2" as a kid, in the theatres exactly 11 times in '89, I'll never forget it. Although pt. 1 was a classic pt. 2 was unforgettable to me. Especially when Marty was in the Future in 2015. It's still one of my favorite movies. (top Ten)I saw it the other day with the same gleefulness i had watching it as a kid in the theatres. I still think those Nike's he had on in the future still rule, lol.

I loved the welcoming virtual Ronald Regan in the Cafe' 80's when he goes. "Welcome to the Cafe' 80's. Where it's always morning in America. Even in the after-noo-noo-noon." as if he glitched lol, I still find that kinda cool. The Virtual Micheal Jackson did it too. When he said, while talking to a customer about the menu, he goes "I comes with a side a chilantro with your choice of chicken, be-be-beef, or pork." lol. I'm retarded. I just love this movie. I guess it's because I'm a futurist. I wish 2015 would b like that but it wont. It'll be like now. It's only 10yrs 20 days away. What could possibly happen. there's no frikken progress now of anything. I honestly thought we'd see flying car by now.

But I digress.

And pt3 was the worst. That flying train was too crazy for me.
Well, I enjoyed Part 3. It certainly isn't as good as the others but it was a cool flick, IMO.

What I love about Part 2 is that even today, 16 years later, the future is still amazing. Hovering cars, hoverboards, self-tying shoes, self-drying and adjusting jacket, TV waiters, etc. And the whole inside out pockets thing is such a good satire of style trends. Seriously, why does anyone find wearing your pants below your ass fasionable? Also, the Jaws 13 part still cracks me up.

Juwanna
this is on the scary movie mentioning earlier

Originally posted by Solo
Liked the first and third.

Second was horrible.

the second. was the best one.

the third was complete crap, it was directed by a the man behind Airplane. Plus, they funniest characters, the wayans brothers, werent even in it

first and second directed by keenan ivory wayans and featured the wayans brothers. they were the funniest.

You just need to see all the movies that the second one makes fun of to actually find it funny. I saw the exorcist, then scary movie 2, then the exorcist again. laughing out loud laughing out loud omg i was laughing to death...then it makes fun of all those pop culture movies from the late 90s and the early 90s...come on its hilarious

scary movie 3 makes fun of 1 scary movie...the ring, which was more creepy than actualy horror..it makes more fun of signs and 8mile]

Wolfie
Why is making fun of 8 Mile briefly such a big deal when no one minds the many Matrix spoofs in the movies? And I guess you didn't get the TCM, Motel Hell, or The Others references, huh?

The Wayans Brothers are not funny. Well, I found Damon Wayans funny in some things he was in. Other than that, the Wayans have never made a good movie.

David Zucker made Airplane!, Top Secret!, and the first two Naked Gun movies, with writing credits to the third. That is an excellent list of spoof movies which made him a better candidate to make another spoof movie rather than the Wayans.

And damn, let's get some spoof actors in this too. My first two picks, Leslie Nielson of the Naked Gun trilogy (among other spoof movies) and Charlie Sheen of the Hot Shots! movies. And they're both in it.

I'm looking forward to Scary Movie 4.

Mando

The Wayans Brothers are not funny. Well, I found Damon Wayans funny in some things he was in. Other than that, the Wayans have never made a good movie.

But who doesn't love "In living Color"? smile

Lana
ESB completely shattered ANH as far as I'm concerned - best movie of the saga, and probably my favorite movie, period.

Also on the Star Wars subject, ROTS was much better than the other two prequels, and also a lot better than ROTJ (in my opinion), I'd put it at my third favorite of the saga, behind ESB and ANH.

I also much prefered Spider-man 2 over the first Spidey movie.

Wolfie
I felt The Phantom Menace was the only one worth much in the PT. The pod race, the final lightsaber duel, I think those two scenes beat any scene in the rest of the PT. Every OT movie beats all three PT movies though.

Mando
I felt The Phantom Menace was the only one worth much in the PT. The pod race, the final lightsaber duel, I think those two scenes beat any scene in the rest of the PT. Every OT movie beats all three PT movies though.

I actually agree with you an that one. People looked over it so badly, probably because it felt out of place changing movie styles. But then again, people really disliked Jar Jar, and Jake Lloyd. Because of that, The Pod racing scene and The Final Fight scene were looked over. So to sum it all up, Jar jar ruined the movie.

As Far as Attack of the Clones go, It defiantly had it's moments. Much like the fight between Obi-wan and Jango. That was pure entertainment. Also the Colosseum Battle was one of the most intense moments in Star wars history. Period, and defiantly made up for the long intervals in EP II.

Revenge of the sith was a good addition. It had action alot of the time, and the opening scene was one of the funniest scenes out of all Star wars moments. I am of course referring to R2 when I say this. General grievous was a great character. one of the most colorful Star Wars characters to date. But I felt as though Ewan's Dialogue in this movie was horrid. Most of his lines sounded as if they came out of a 5 cent comic book somewhere. It really bothered me. But the ending was great, with the fall of the Jedi Temple and the Fight between Obi-wan and Anakin, and at the same time, the fight between Yoda and Sidious. Good stuff

Aravis3
Return of the Jedi was better than the previous two, and parts of Return of the King aren't better than FOTR or TTT.

Lana
The podrace in TPM was, in my opinion, completely pointless.

However, I still find Return of the Jedi to be the worst of the SW movies.

Siddan
TAXI 2 was way better than the first one

alltho it is french it was very funny

bksdrums
As much as I love El Mariachi, Desparado was a lot better.

steverules
Aliens
Star Wars: Empire strikes back
Halloween 2 (They shuld have ended Halloween movies there).

fini
one letter, one number

T2

steverules
Yeah that was good, not so sure about T3 though.

DarkWizard
Terminator 2
Godfather Part 2
Star Wars Episode V
Aliens
Superman 2
Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
LOTR: ROTK

steverules
OOOOOHHHHH, I forgot superman 3 kicked ass, and that Robot lady scared the hell outta me when I was 6. I had freakin nightmares! I saw it again, in 2004 or something like that and I was still scared. I want to get the superman box set cause the movies were quite good.

DeVi| D0do
Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Before Sunset
Godfather Part II

This has been done before... http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=381242&perpage=20&highlight=sequels&pagenumber=1

DarkWizard
^ I wasn't going to say anything about it. I figured some people might like to re-vote.

But, I can see just about everything was covered in that thread. so, merging.

Mišt
Matrix Reloaded - from an action/excitement point of view. Storywise, the first was classic.

Spiderman 2 - Pretty much same as above, but I liked the characters more in this one. And the whole 'Spiderman giving up' plot, that was cool.

Ghostbusters 2 - Wish I could hotwire a NES to the statue of Liberty laughing out loud And Bill Murray.....ahh...so funny....

Austin Powers : Spy Who Shagged Me - Fat Bastard. End of story.

Goldeneye - Not really a sequel, but one of my top favourite Bond movies.

Terminator 2 - Seriously, I dont think anything of today's technology has managed to match the realism of the liquid Terminator's freeze/explode/melt/regenerate scene.....

Dumb and Dumber - I dont know whether this counts as a 'sequel', seeing as Dumb and Dumberer was the prequel....but it was far better....Jim Carrey...man oh man...laughing out loud

Just ones I can remember off the top of my head....no Star Wars ones, I count all SW as equal...

toby19
return of the jedi!!

Pabl0z
If you concider the new Star Wars movies to be it's own trilogy, Episode 3 is alot better than the first 2.

What else:

Mad Max 2,
Back to the future 2 (at least it felt better when i last saw it a as a kid),
Spiderman 2 (tho i don't remember much about Spiderman 1, but i remember it being more crappy)

And if those CKY "movies" by Bam Margera count... CKY2K is better than the first imo.

Lighthammer
Blade II was a little better then Blade

Deathblow
I can understand why people think The Godfather Part 2 is better (even though I stongly disagree), but I have never understood how anyone can prefer Aliens to Alien. The original is one of the most tense, claustrophobic and frightening pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen, the second one just seems like a slightly dumbed down action/sci-fi flick.

Anyway, I can't really think of many superior sequels, off the top of my head, only Blade 2, The Road Warrior and X-2. I would say Kill Bill Vol.2, but that doesn't really count seeing as it's just the second half of one movie.

K.Diddy
Mission impossible 2

Nevermind
I thought Superman II was better than Superman. Same with T2.

Nevermind
Desperado also comes to mind.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Nevermind
Desperado also comes to mind.

That trilogy got better as it went on, IMO.

Nevermind
Originally posted by DarkWizard

I haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Did it really get better than Desperado? Banderas kicked ass so bad in it.

DarkWizard
Once Upon A Time In Mexico Rocked Hard. That's all I can say.

Nevermind
Once Upon A Time In Mexico Rocked Hard. That's all I can say.

Damn. I'll have to rent it out then.

general-pain
Heretical as it may sound, I prefer T3 over T2. T3 just felt more like the original than the second. But the first is better than both.

Predator 2 was a below average film and way behind the first one.

Lord Shadow Z
Aliens- Honestly, I don't remember anything about the first one.

Terminator 2 - Still love the first but the action sequences and the story were better put together in T2

X-Men 2- Hated the first as many people in the X-Men forum know but they advised me to check out the second and I was very impressed with the improvements.

mailedbypostman
Originally posted by Deathblow
I can understand why people think The Godfather Part 2 is better (even though I stongly disagree), but I have never understood how anyone can prefer Aliens to Alien. The original is one of the most tense, claustrophobic and frightening pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen, the second one just seems like a slightly dumbed down action/sci-fi flick.

I second that. Alien was tense, edgy. Alien wasn't a monstor movie, but it felt like I was watching Godzilla-Smaller Alien version.

RHK313
T2, scaryMovie, GodFather2, ...

GODOFALL1
T2
Blade2
HellRaiser2

Solo
El Mariachi was so much better than the rest of the trilogy, IMO.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Solo
El Mariachi was so much better than the rest of the trilogy, IMO.

El Mariachi had a better story to than the Desperado, I think they both had an equally good scripts when it came to dialogue but the action in Desperado killed anything seen in El Mariachi. As for comparing it to Once Upon A Time in Mexico I can't say.

JTM
To say Terminator 2 isn't the best, most intense, most dramatic sequel in cinematic history would be like saying the sun's surface is kind of warm.

Pepito
Once upon a time in Mexico is great but not sure that it is better than Desperado - different i'd say. Most superhero movies improve on the sequel.

I thought Mummy Returns was better than the first.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Pepito

I thought Mummy Returns was better than the first.

I thought the first one was better, the second I felt was relying too much on action set-pieces and the sickly-sweet romance thing betwen Foster and Weisz for me went over the top and the kid was pointless.

Makedde
Originally posted by JTM
To say Terminator 2 isn't the best, most intense, most dramatic sequel in cinematic history would be like saying the sun's surface is kind of warm.

I agree. Terminator 2 was a million times better than the original. Shame Terminator 3 had to ruin the story.

ronmanchester
All right,
Terminator 2
Friday the 13th Part VI-Jason Lives
Harry Potter 4
X-Men 2
RotJ (come on, you gotta love it when the good guys win)
Goldeneye (not sure if this is a sequel)
Snatch (as opposed to Lock, Stock)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Secret of the Ooze
Back to the Future 3
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Mortal Kombat Annihilation (just kidding!)

Penfold2006
My list:

Batman Returns
Evil Dead II
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Superman 2 & 3
Empire Strikes Back

redcaped
Psycho laughing out loud

Quiero Mota
Return of the Jedi

Alien 3

U.S. Marshals

Analyze That

Rush Hour 2

Blade 2

fearman09
Saw2 was way better than Saw. It had more blood and suspense.

steverules
Superman 3
Aliens (Aline 3 seemed like a remake of Alien)
Empire strikes back

MR Potter
Originally posted by fearman09
Saw2 was way better than Saw. It had more blood and suspense.

i don't thing so...i prefered saw 1 because in saw 2 repeat the sames scenes that original movie.

well, Batman Returns is better than Batman, Godfather 2 the best, Empire strikes back
Terminator 2: the day of juice
Back to the future 2
the lord fo the rings: the two towers.

now with respet a Miss Simpatia 2, really socks...is the works movie of Sandra Bullock....

steverules
WTF!?!

K.Diddy
Back to the Future 2
Nightmare on Elm st 4

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Makedde
I agree. Terminator 2 was a million times better than the original. Shame Terminator 3 had to ruin the story.

I liked both Terminater movies.however I liked the first one the best.Cant beat an evil Arnie. big grin I would have liked the second one a lot better if they had made Arnie evil again. mad But I agree Terminater 3 ruined the whole story.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Lana
ESB completely shattered ANH as far as I'm concerned - best movie of the saga, and probably my favorite movie, period.

Also on the Star Wars subject, ROTS was much better than the other two prequels, and also a lot better than ROTJ (in my opinion), I'd put it at my third favorite of the saga, behind ESB and ANH.

I also much prefered Spider-man 2 over the first Spidey movie.

I dont think that it shattered ANH.They are BOTH great movies.They are both my first and second favorite movies as well.But I agree,Empire was more complex and had more character involvement in it so its my favorite as well.I also agree that ROTS was much better than the other two prequels and much better than ROTJ which IMO is still the worst star wars movie.Like Terminater 3.it betrayed and went against everything the other two films accomplished. mad and yeah,both spider-man movies sucked but the second one wasnt anywhere near as horrible as the first one.

rox
final destination2 cuz better plot twist. final destination 3 cuz it was much darker

bouncer599
hey movies are definetly getting worse over time ive heard a rumor thet there will be talking velosoraptors in jarrasic park 4

Myth
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but several Bond films are better than the original Dr No.

BackFire
Dawn of the Dead: Better then Night of the Living Dead

T2: Better then original.

Aliens: Better then original.

Devils Rejects: Better then House of 1000....

X2: Better then X-Men

Many of the Friday the 13th movies are way better then the original.

Two Towers: Better then Fellowship.

Kill Bill 2: Better then Kill Bill

Saw 2>Saw
That is all.

marwash22
MEGA BUMP!!!!!!!!!

That Matrix Reloaded > The Matrix.
T2 > Terminator.
Spider-man 2 > Spider-man

K.Diddy
beer It really does shatter me that so many people think Terminator 2 is better then the 1st one,The 1st terminator to me will always be more superior then the sequel,The first was able to cover action,suspense and was actually very creepy,almost horror like as well,Too me Terminator 2 was more just a big budget ''dumb'' action movie.Still a classic watch but just nowhere near as good as the 1st one in my opinion.
Anyway,Thats my rant,now here's a few I can think off

Superman 2-Much better and a lot more fun then the original.
Evil Dead 2-Just a lot more solid then the original
Devils Rejects-Just felt more like a ''movie'' then the first
Aliens-Possibly the best sequel ever in my opinion
Saw 2-This is the movie that made the Franchise in my opinion,I thought the 1st Saw was actually a little Dull and weak.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
U.S. Marshals

Not many people give that any credit, don't know why it's a solid movie.

My list for now:

Aliens 2+4
Terminator 2
X-Men 2
Batman Forever (please don't start a war with me over this)
Evil Dead 3
Star Wars VI:Return of the Jedi

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z

My list for now:

Aliens 4

Batman Forever
Evil Dead 3

blink Please Explain

Dave_97
Cube 2: HyperCube and Cube Zero are way better than Cube.

K.Diddy
beer I think that New Moon is a lot better then Twilight,I'm yet too see Eclipse

marwash22
Originally posted by K.Diddy
beer It really does shatter me that so many people think Terminator 2 is better then the 1st one,The 1st terminator to me will always be more superior then the sequel,The first was able to cover action,suspense and was actually very creepy,almost horror like as well,Too me Terminator 2 was more just a big budget ''dumb'' action movie.Still a classic watch but just nowhere near as good as the 1st one in my opinion. T2 has tremendous re-watch value, more so than it's predecessor. I'd find it hard to believe if you told me you enjoy watching T1 more than T2. Also, on a side note, can you name a single movie from T2's time period that has graphics which stand up to the graphics of today?

Plain and simple, T2 was ahead of it's time... T1 was not.

Esau Cairn
True...you can't have T2 without T1 first.

As much as T1 was a classic, it was also B-grade.

I think in the end T1 suffered by drowning in all the spin-off movies that it spurned ie: Universal Soldier & Cyborg.

-Pr-
Originally posted by marwash22
T2 has tremendous re-watch value, more so than it's predecessor. I'd find it hard to believe if you told me you enjoy watching T1 more than T2. Also, on a side note, can you name a single movie from T2's time period that has graphics which stand up to the graphics of today?

jurassic park.

for me terminator 1 will always be the better movie. it was more suspenseful, and for me had much more of a "fear factor" than the other one. john connor had flippin arnie looking after him in t2. in t1 it was just some dude from the future. it made it seem like protecting sarah was a much more arduous task.

at least imo.

K.Diddy
T2 has tremendous re-watch value, more so than it's predecessor. I'd find it hard to believe if you told me you enjoy watching T1 more than T2. Also, on a side note, can you name a single movie from T2's time period that has graphics which stand up to the graphics of today?

smile Sure,for it's time Terminator 2 was visually stunning.....but it never caught the suspense that part 1 had,never even came close,Visually Terminator 2 was a lot better......Every other way it wasn't,I enjoy watching Terminator 1 a lot more then 2

Myth

This is the same reason why I prefer T2 as well.

Lord Shadow Z
blink Please Explain

No

Darth Martin
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/halloween-2007-horror-movie-poster.jpg

K.Diddy
No

erm Why not? Myself and others would probably be interested to hear your reasons

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Darth Martin
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/halloween-2007-horror-movie-poster.jpg

no expression No dude......Just No

Lord Shadow Z
erm Why not? Myself and others would probably be interested to hear your reasons

Well considering your reaction to some of my choices it was clear to me you found it unbelievable that any one could prefer them over the originals. So it puts me in a position where nothing I say could convince you or anyone else.

Plus, this is an internet forum and when you say 'I like Batman Forever' for example you get reactions like you yourself gave, plus unwanted sniping from the Pro-Burton, Pro-Nolan or the Anti-Schumacher crowds.

Nephthys
The Dark Knight.

The Nuul
Beverly Hills Cop II

Darth Martin
no expression No dude......Just No I was more threatened by the remake than the original. Know I'm in the minority with this one. But it is what it is.

ADarksideJedi
I think Rocky four was good.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I think Rocky four was good.

thumb up

dunno if it was as good as Rocky 1, but it was a damn fine movie imo.

K.Diddy
I was more threatened by the remake than the original. Know I'm in the minority with this one. But it is what it is.

beer I actually really like the remake,but it still just comes nowhere close to the original in my opinion

K.Diddy
So it puts me in a position where nothing I say could convince you or anyone else.

smokin' That,you are right about,still would of been interesting to hear your explanation though

petrosfan
Terminator 2

dadudemon
Matrix 2 and 3 were better than the original. The Star Wars Prequal Trilogy were better than the original Trilogy.

That's the biggest ones that comes to mind.

I'll think of others.

Nephthys
Originally posted by dadudemon
Matrix 2 and 3 were better than the original. The Star Wars Prequal Trilogy were better than the original Trilogy.

That's the biggest ones that comes to mind.

I'll think of others.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/BlAsPhEmY.gif

Seriously, are you INSANE!!!!!?????

dadudemon
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/BlAsPhEmY.gif

Seriously, are you INSANE!!!!!?????

It's well known that I like the PT better than the OT. I'm not alone. However, it's like saying which do you like more: sex with 50 of the world's hottest ladies or sex with 51 of the world's hottest ladies.

That's a decision that's easy to make, sure...but is there REALLY that much of a difference?

Nephthys
No, its like having sex with 50 of the world hottest ladies or 51 of the worlds hottest pitbull terriers. I'd say theres a bit of a difference. The OT was demonstratably superior to the PT in terms of plot, characters, tone, themes, direction, art design, acting and pretty much everything else. The only thing you might say the PT was better at was special effects, and even then Lucas made it so unbelievably sterile, fake and overused them so much that I'd still put the OT above it.

And the Matrix sequals aren't even close to their predecessors level. They are decent action movies. Nothing more.

dadudemon
No, its like having sex with 50 of the world hottest ladies or 51 of the worlds hottest pitbull terriers. I'd say theres a bit of a difference. The OT was demonstratably superior to the PT in terms of plot, characters, tone, themes, direction, art design, acting and pretty much everything else. The only thing you might say the PT was better at was special effects, and even then Lucas made it so unbelievably sterile, fake and overused them so much that I'd still put the OT above it.

And the Matrix sequals aren't even close to their predecessors level. They are decent action movies. Nothing more.

I consider the PT haters to be blind fanboys about 97% of the time. I have only met one person that came up with legit reasons to hate the PT.

For the PT haters, they think that I'm a complete retard with no taste in movies.

I will definitely never change my opinion and neither will the PT haters. It's a futile argument.

Nephthys
Out of pure morbid curiousity, what exactly do you like about the PT?

dadudemon
Out of pure morbid curiousity, what exactly do you like about the PT?

I've given a run down, before. I made a nice long list of things I liked about the PT over the OT. If you are genuinely interested, KMC search. Me? I'm too lazy to repost that crap...no expression

Mr. Rhythmic

I just... I just have to say no and turn around.

Nephthys
I've given a run down, before. I made a nice long list of things I liked about the PT over the OT. If you are genuinely interested, KMC search. Me? I'm too lazy to repost that crap...no expression

I am interested. What do I search for? Can't you give me a link?

Mr. Rhythmic

I'd love to read it.

marwash22
i dunno why people act as if the OT had zero flaws. To be honest, they don't really hold up all that well. erm

remove JarJar and Hayden's crappy acting in AOTC and the PT > the OT.

dadudemon
I am interested. What do I search for? Can't you give me a link?

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I'd love to read it.

It'd take me like...30 minutes of searching. That's too much. You spend 30 minutes searching if you guys are dying to read it.

Besides, why would I spend 30 minutes searching for a thread just for you guys just to whine at me in giant posts that do nothing to actually contradict anything I've stated? (Cause, no matter what, it's opinion.) That's like asking a slave to go make a super duper awesome whip that takes forever to make...just for you to try and whip me with it as soon as I hand it to you. That's not very motivational.

Edit - It boiled down to this: the PT is better than the OT in just about every single "movie" measure you can think of.

Kazenji
i dunno why people act as if the OT had zero flaws. To be honest, they don't really hold up all that well. erm

remove JarJar and Hayden's crappy acting in AOTC and the PT > the OT.

For you it may not.

RE: Blaxican
The problem with the original trilogy is how much it's wanked.

The storyline is simplistic and uninspired. All of the characters minus Vader are generic and pretty much one sided. The themes are black and white and obvious. etc. etc. There's a bunch of plot points that don't make sense or are sloppy (like the god damn space ship sized ventilator shafts in the Death Stars). etc.

The OT is only good because its special FX were stellar for it's time and it made an entire generation fall in love with it. If the OT were released now, it would probably get shit reviews.

Kazenji
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

at your post.

dadudemon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
The problem with the original trilogy is how much it's wanked.

The storyline is simplistic and uninspired. All of the characters minus Vader are generic and pretty much one sided. The themes are black and white and obvious. etc. etc. There's a bunch of plot points that don't make sense or are sloppy (like the god damn space ship sized ventilator shafts in the Death Stars). etc.

The OT is only good because its special FX were stellar for it's time and it made an entire generation fall in love with it. If the OT were released now, it would probably get shit reviews.

Indeed. Other "fantasy" stories existed around that time. Krull was quite awesome, when it came out (and still a great fantasy story, today), but it wasn't nearly as "fantastic" of a trip as Star Wars.

And, yeah, there's so many plot problems with the OT that's absurd.

Kazenji
Well duh the movies are'nt the greatest movies on the face of the planet

does'nt mean its they're bad.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well duh the movies are'nt the greatest movies on the face of the planet

does'nt mean its they're bad.

Well, we disagree there, as well: I think they ARE the greatest movies on the face of the planet: all six of them. My top ten list consists of the PT, OT, and Matrix trilogy and a 10th spot that is a revolving door, based on my mood (Equilibrium is up there, at times.)

Nephthys
I'm pretty sure I never said the OT wasn't without flaws. It's just that they're superior to the prequels in pretty much every single way. Which isn't hard, because the prequels suck a huge steaming turb of utter ****ing fail.

Bardock42

Edit - It boiled down to this: the PT is better than the OT in just about every single "movie" measure you can think of.

That doesn't sounds like opinion. That sounds like a claim to fact. Therefore it should be possible to refute if wrong.

Bardock42
I blame the "blankie syndrome" on that hate for the PT. What do I mean by "blankie syndrome"? I mean that these people have attachments to their "blankie" and cannot give it up. Some children will not let go of a small blanket that they've had while growing up and it is near impossible to get them to let go of it. The OT is their "blankie". They have gone as far as to try and justify their positions in elaborate manners rather than just giving up their "blankies." Now, this is not to say that everyone in this thread fits that category: some of you have legitimate complaints about the PT, and such. However, I notice a lot of Star Wars blankie syndrome on KMC and it annoys me, but I am happy to say that there are several of you that like the PT better than the OT.

Not matter what GL did, OT fanboys would have hated the PT. There was nothing to avoid that.

Fact is, the PT is better in almost every single facet.

Better acting.
Better effects.
Better story.
Better characters.
Better cinematography.
Better fantasy elements.
Better movie score.
Better sound and sound effects.
Ground breaking effects has to go to the OT, hands down.
Wow factor, however, has to go to the PT, easily.

Any time I hear some fanboy say that the OT acting is better than the PT, I just remind them of Luke Skywalker and/or link them to Luke's whine fest against Vader in ESB: quite shitty acting and it should make any normal person laugh.

Hayden was whiny?

Ha!

Hamil was much whinier in the first two OT films.

There was no ground breaking efforts in the PT? Sure, maybe if we are speaking only about RoTS, but the fact is, Lucas and his team made leaps of CGI progress in TPM. They made even more progress in AoTC. The kept that advances from AoTC and used that in RotS. If some were as big of "Star Wars" fans as they profess, they would know that.

That said, I still think both the OT and PT are some of the best movies of all time. All 6 of them go in my top 20. I love them shits really really badly. sad

Edit - Side note, I've gotta give props to my boy, darthmaul1, for approaching the PT movies with an open mind and judging the films exactly for what they were: excellent films. I wish every Star Wars fanboy approached the PT like that: we might have had much better Star Wars goodness than what we have now but the haters may have prevented us from getting anymore films. GL was thinking about doing episodes 7, 8, and 9, when he was working on TPM...but he changed his mind somwhere between AoTC and RotS. If he had gotten almost universal praise, his distaste for all of that hard work might have been outweighed by the love he got. Just saying that you haters may have prevented the best episodes from being made into GL-level quality of films. For that, I hate you. no expression (not really, I still love you guys.)

LOL

I found the PT acting to be superior than the OT.

Observe:

GwExDG7n7Zg

I found the character development in the PT to be better as well.

There was also a larger number of talented actors in the PT, as well. The writing in the PT was good...but not anything great...I'd say that there were high and low points to the writing in each so I'm not choosing one on this point. Originality has to go to the OT...but even that is questionable...the late 70s and early 80s was quite packed with original sci-fi flicks.

It would seem most of the reasons you give are typical "blankie" examples. Too close-minded to face the reality that he PT was better than the OT.

Oh well. It's opinion anyway.

Well, I am your first example then.

This is how I rank the star wars films in how much I enjoyed the films...you know, the thing they were made to do.

!. Ep 3 I loved this one a lot. one of my favs of all time.
2. Ep 2
3. Ep 6
4. Ep 1
5. Ep 5
6. Ep 4

All of the other movies are fairly close. I rank ROTJ ahead of any of the other movies simply because I liked it more. I could go into details but you would argue with them...it is an opinion.

When people were disappointed when TPM came out...I was rather pissed. I thought it was much better the OT movies except ROTJ! After a while, I figured out why: everyone was treating the OT as a "blankie" that they couldn't let go of despite the reality the the PT could be better if they would let go of their "blankies". It is sentiment.

Also, Harrison Ford's character, Han Solo, really helped the OT trilogy out. I think that if you take him out of the picture, the OT would lose a lot of its popularity. The same can't be said of the other characters. (By that, I mean Harrison Ford and the "scoudrelness" of Han Solo.)

RE: Blaxican
I'm pretty sure I never said the OT wasn't without flaws. It's just that they're superior to the prequels in pretty much every single way. Which isn't hard, because the prequels suck a huge steaming turb of utter ****ing fail. I think the point that you're missing is that the OT isn't any less fail than the PT is, it's just that because it's iconic it's hard to see it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
That doesn't sounds like opinion. That sounds like a claim to fact. Therefore it should be possible to refute if wrong.

No, that's exactly opinion. "Better" would be the source of that subjective assessment. It cannot be refuted, even a little. Nor can I change their opinions on which is better.

Yup, that'd be exactly what I was referring to.

I believe there is one more point missing...but that just about captures it.

-Pr-

wow. entitled to opinion and all that, but still... wow.

i think i just threw up in my mouth a little.

The Nuul
Wait.....is someone hating on the original SW movies?

Someone needs to ban his ass.

srankmissingnin
I have to say that I agree with the acting part. Mark Hamill is just a truly horrible stage actor... or at least he was when he was doing Star Wars. I think we all know that Hamill is an absolutely fantastic voice actor now, but he was just awful in Star Wars. As much as I hate to say it, even Hayden Christensen was better in the prequel trilogy than Mark in the original.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-
wow. entitled to opinion and all that, but still... wow.

i think i just threw up in my mouth a little.

It's similar to what I do when ever I read the OT wanking WITH PT bashing: I facepalm and think "Not another blankie syndrome."

Originally posted by The Nuul
Wait.....is someone hating on the original SW movies?

Someone needs to ban his ass.

And to whom would that be referring to?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I think the point that you're missing is that the OT isn't any less fail than the PT is, it's just that because it's iconic it's hard to see it. .

-Pr-
It's similar to what I do when ever I read the OT wanking WITH PT bashing: I facepalm and think "Not another blankie syndrome."

but you would accept that to some, the same criteria you use to illustrate the prequels' superiority is instead used to back the original trilogy (obviously not with special effects, but in other ways).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.