TPM Sidious vs. ROTS Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Creator
If you think about it TPM Sids could win here. For one in TPM he seems to be in much better shape. Two I highly doubt have practiced any sith techniques during the years after TPM. And ROTS Sidious has not touched his lightsaber in years whreas TPM Sids would have been busy traing Maul and would in theory have better saber skills.

darthsith19
I agtrr. But it's be close.

SnakeEyes
I disagree. That's like saying that TPM Obi-Wan could take ROTS Obi-wan, which isn't true. Sidious studied/practiced for years after Episode One.

The Creator
How would he have when he was busy running the whole damn galaxy? As for Obi-Wan after TPM he had 13 years of training which included a war.

kamikz
We have seen him on many occasions wearing his dark robe, he must have time to spare. And Anakin always seems to be able to find him lonley, without people around him.

The Creator
Then please explain this how would Sidious be able to practice his sith teachings or saber skills with no opponent.

Zarathustra
Err, assault droid sparring partners? Besides, Sidious is an entirely fictional character who doesn't need to make sense: he could be exactly the same in both films.

kamikz
He could have sparred aginst Dooku, what could be better than to sparr with the best duellist in the PT. Even if he didn't he could have practised alone and/or grown in the force alot.

It does not make sense that Sidious has not used a lightsaber in 13 years, still he is able to kill 3 jedi masters easily and being able to stand up to the best swordsmen in the Order.

The Creator
There would have been no need to spar with Dooku due to the fact that both of them were already fully trained. Also not using a lightsaber for 13 years and still being and still being able to accomplish those feats should say a lot for Sidious.

kamikz
Just because two martial artists are masters doesent mean they don't need to spar, they can still become better, people can always improve.

When Sidious convinsed Maul to attack him with all his rage he almost got beaten (though he was only defending), in ROTS he could stand up to masters like Yoda and Mace in a swordfight who are leagues above Maul (although he is also very good).

The Creator
So did you not see TPM where Obi-Wan went ballistic on Maul someone who should have owned Obi-Wan any day of the week.

kamikz
Maul was arrogant, he thought he was just a mere padawan, that was until he broke his double bladed lightsaber, then Maul took Obi down. Obi gets kicked in the face, looses in the saber lock and then pushed down that hole. Again Maul is cocky and toys with Obi and that is his doom.
So Maul lost because he's arrogant, not of lesser skills.

exanda kane
I disagree with your notion here Creator.
Dooku is a superb duelist, but he also knows of many Sith techniques that only Sidious could have taught him (arguably he learned from holocrons), and these techniques about using the dark side could not purely have been discovered while duelling with the dark side.

The Creator
Actually exanda, I recall hearing somewhere that Dooku had studied dark side teachings while still in the order, one of the reasons he was kept off the council. So I do not believe that he had learned those techniques from Sidious.

Darth Faunus
He became interested in Sith teachings while in the Order, but he didn't learn techniques and abilities unique to the Sith until he apprenticed himself to Sidious.

You really think he knew how to use Force lightning while he was a Jedi?

Escape81
First and foremost, it is highly logical to deduce that Sidious had precious little time to practice with his lightsaber skills. He is labeled around here as a sub-par duelist, but this may be taken into account that he was he was the face of The Republic for the better part of thirteen years.

Unlike Masters Yoda and Windu - who had the obligation to train with sabers for each and every day, Sidious had no such luxary. It would look highly suspicious for the Chancellor of The Republic to be spotted posturing with a lightsaber. I am not saying he didn't practice with it at all, but compared to Windu, Yoda, and Dooku - he had no time to train.

Sidious did however continue to collect and study Sith teachings, perhaps to secure his prominent mastery of the Force. But as for his mastery with a blade, I doubt it improved. So yes. For not touching a saber for the better part of thirteen years, and still being able to crush three Jedi Masters, as well as go toe-to-toe with Mace and Yoda, Sidious might have possibly have become the best duelist in the movies had he simply kept up his training. But he wasn't in a position to do so.

The Creator
Nice analogy Escape but whats your opinion on this duel?

OBI-Ninja
Originally posted by Escape81
First and foremost, it is highly logical to deduce that Sidious had precious little time to practice with his lightsaber skills. He is labeled around here as a sub-par duelist, but this may be taken into account that he was he was the face of The Republic for the better part of thirteen years.

Unlike Masters Yoda and Windu - who had the obligation to train with sabers for each and every day, Sidious had no such luxary. It would look highly suspicious for the Chancellor of The Republic to be spotted posturing with a lightsaber. I am not saying he didn't practice with it at all, but compared to Windu, Yoda, and Dooku - he had no time to train.

Sidious did however continue to collect and study Sith teachings, perhaps to secure his prominent mastery of the Force. But as for his mastery with a blade, I doubt it improved. So yes. For not touching a saber for the better part of thirteen years, and still being able to crush three Jedi Masters, as well as go toe-to-toe with Mace and Yoda, Sidious might have possibly have become the best duelist in the movies had he simply kept up his training. But he wasn't in a position to do so.

I'm ok with all of it except Sidious 'crushing' three Jedi Masters, I would say that didn't make Sidious look more powerful, but made those three look like bantha fodder. I mean, come on! Agen Kolar wasn't even looking at Sidious when Sidious stabbed him! Saesee Tiin just stared at Sidious when he stabbed Kolar, and Kit Fisto left himself wide open for Sidious to slash him!

I really wished GL put more effort into that scene.

Se7in
Very true. I mean, four Jedi see some guy spinning at them with a lightsaber, obviously with malicious intent, and have a 2-3 full second window of vulnerablity, they deserve to die.

DarthMaul9123
THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE DUMBEST WASTE OF TIME THREAD IN THE WORLD, just kidding i think they all have good points, i say its a very obviouse draw

kamikz
Originally posted by Escape81

I agree that his practise times must have been precious because he couldent do it that often. But also, he greeted Dooku when he came back from Geonosis in AOTC, and to take a Sith Lord with the death star plans there would be highly risky.
I think he had some secret spots to practise at seeing he could keep Maul and Dooku hidden on Courascant and go away to wear his dark robe during conversations.

Escape81
That is possible. Indeed, he had time to get away. But as stated in Labyrinth of Evil, Sidious did not have all the free time in the world, thus why face-to-face meetings with Dooku were rare and didn't last long.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.