Will a Movie ever beat out 'Titanic'?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
I had a strong feeling Revenge of the Sith had a chance , but since it didn't I don't think Titanic will be beaten at the box-office for a while.

DeVi| D0do
I'm hoping King Kong will knock Titanic off its perch...

Nevermind
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

I'm doubtful that will happen, but with the anticipation behind this film who knows? I'd love it if King Kong did it. Titanic has had it for ages.

Ushgarak
Adjusted for inflation, plenty of films have made more than Titanic anyway.

As it is. I think we can expect to wait a few more years for inflation to keep rising ticket prices before we see a film beat Titanic; it broke the demographic pretty hard.

jaden101
hopefully superman returns will...but seeing as superhero films generally put off about half of the worlds population then i dont think it will

Mando
I really don't think the titanic will be beaten. at least not for a long time anyway. King Kong might gross quite a bit. But not enough to bash titanic out of it's position. I'd like to root for QT, but he attracts a certain audience.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why care? Big does not mean better, so the discussion is irrelevant.

fini
hmmm, I doubt anything will break its record. Titanic had appeal straight across the board. People from all ages and tastes loved that movie. I have not seen a movie since that could draw such a vast audience. LOTR, SW, even King Kong wont appeal to older audiences, but Titanic did and its a movie you could watch over and over. And dont deny it, you saw it more than once when it first came out.

Mando
Originally posted by fini
And dont deny it, you saw it more than once when it first came out.

I didn't even see it when it came out. I never was a Leo fan. It's not that I didn't go see it because of that reason, I just flat out didn't have interest.

fini
I didn't go for that reason NEITHER, needed to see the big ship sink. lol

Aravis3
How much money did it make? Chronicles of Narnia made a little over 67 milion.

DeVi| D0do
$1,845,000,000 worldwide, $600,788,188 domestically, $821,413,700 domestically adjusted for inflation (the sixth highest), and only $28,638,131 on its opennng weekend (171st highest).

Nevermind
Originally posted by Mando
I'd like to root for QT, but he attracts a certain audience.

Yeah QT taking that spot will never happen, although that would be cool. It's mainly due to his films high ratings. So that severs a lot of the population that are wanting to see it. I'm hoping that Grindhouse will come out much later in the next year, so I can see it.

Solo
Originally posted by fini
LOTR, SW, even King Kong wont appeal to older audiences

That's a pretty irreverent statement.

DeVi| D0do
Irreverent? How so? Seems like a fair statment to me... Titanic had a far greater appeal to older audiences than the ones mentioned.

The reason I think King Kong might have a chance is because it appeals to both the male and female audiences... it has the action sequences for the guys and romance for the gals.

Solo
Irreverent? How so? Seems like a fair statment to me... Titanic had a far greater appeal to older audiences than the ones mentioned.

The reason I think King Kong might have a chance is because it appeals to both the male and female audiences... it has the action sequences for the guys and romance for the gals.

The statement saying "Titanic had a far greater appeal to older audiences." is a fair statement. But saying "LOTR, SW, and King Kong has no appeal to older audiences." is irreverent. Almost everyone I know saw LOTR, SW, and are going to see King Kong.

And we're not much of lads ourselves.

Therefore the statement saying LOTR, SW, King Kong etc. don't appeal to older audiences is unfair.

DeVi| D0do
Ahh, I see your point. Yes, it's not that they have no appeal, they just probably have less... generally speaking.

alic88
IF there is anything that can get close to titanic for the time being it might be superman returns, but i am saying close

Ushgarak
I very much doubt that.

Like I said, Titanic broke the demographic. Even people that never went to the cinema went to see it, and more than once. No film around right now or being made right now will have anyhting close to that pull. It really was a weird phenomenon.

The films that have made more than it, inflation adjusted, all come from a time when cinema was very different. The most recent one is ET, 15 years earlier. Once the era of the blockbuster began (and remember, Jaws and Star Wars really kicked off that idea, and ET was only a few years later), that kind of attendance settled down, now that such films are commonplace.

Titanic really stood out a league of its own as quite a phenomenon and there is no point trying to compare a film that seems it will be popular to it. It won't be beaten.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Pff...If you're interested, just wait a few years 'till they make a romance that climaxes with a couple stuck in the top of one of the World Trade Center towers as the plane hits...

BackFire
I'm sure it will be beaten someday, probably not anytime soon, but something will come along one day, and I'll be very happy.

Mando
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm sure it will be beaten someday, probably not anytime soon, but something will come along one day, and I'll be very happy.

I just hope it's not a chick flick.

Dagons Blade

I was hoping I would be chosen for the love scene with Kate Winslet, but they needed me for The Three Stooges Meet The Wolfman wink

Back on topic: Not sure if any film would beat Titanic, but by an odd twist, the big budget Lost In Space film knocked Titanic down to 2nd place at one time (though a short time.) Funny considering what a bad movie it was...

FistOfThe North
Well, "Star Wars: A New Hope" held the top grossing spot in th US for 20 yrs. From 1977 till 1997 when "Titanic" blew it out the water, money-wise so go figure.

"Titanic" made all the money it did because every single girl in the world saw it like 20 times each, lol. It was so crazy, that "Titanic" was out in theatres for almost a year. I think like 11 mo?

forumcrew
$1,845,000,000 worldwide, $600,788,188 domestically, $821,413,700 domestically adjusted for inflation (the sixth highest), and only $28,638,131 on its opennng weekend (171st highest).

low opening but it held #1 for I think 13 weeks which is why it made so much

lordofwar
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Pff...If you're interested, just wait a few years 'till they make a romance that climaxes with a couple stuck in the top of one of the World Trade Center towers as the plane hits...

They are already making a movie about the collapse of the World Trade Center with Nicolas Cage. Oliver Stone will be directing.

Mando
Originally posted by lordofwar
They are already making a movie about the collapse of the World Trade Center with Nicolas Cage. Oliver Stone will be directing.

If someone would make a Movie about 9/11, Stone would be one of the first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

Solo
Considering the film is most likely to go for an "R" rating, I doubt very much that it will do as well as "Titanic" in the box office.

Mando
Originally posted by Solo
Considering the film is most likely to go for an "R" rating, I doubt very much that it will do as well as "Titanic" in the box office.

I was actually REALLY hoping that King Kong would be at least a contender. But then I see it is being released in the middle of the week (US time), And not on the weekend. I don't understand, really.

Solo
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Opening King Kong in the middle of the week gives it a better chance of doing well.

Picture this, one guy sees it, it's awesome, he tells all of his friends to see it.

The word will spread faster and to more people. Therefore giving it a higher-grosse for the weekend.

FistOfThe North
lol King Kong will not see big numbers, watch. i think the movie will rock but it's not gona make that much. Maybe 120, 170 mil tops world-wide, give or take a few hundred thou. Mark my words.

I already said that "Titanic" made all the money it did because it was like a true story or something and it was about love. Girls swallowed it all over the world. King Kong has love but we're not talking Leo here. Which is probably one of the main reasons the ladies went to go check it out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, i want titanic out, but if it took Peter Jackson the killer film like "LOTR" with "ROTK" winning best pic like "Titanic" did and earning what, 1.2 billion world wide. What makes you think "King Kong", a movie that dino's in it, will take it? Females won't buy it. I see the typical girl going to go see "King kong" 2wice max. as oppose to "TiTanic's" 10, 20 times, lol

Mando
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Opening King Kong in the middle of the week gives it a better chance of doing well.

Picture this, one guy sees it, it's awesome, he tells all of his friends to see it.

The word will spread faster and to more people. Therefore giving it a higher-grosse for the weekend.

I think It would make more on opening weekend to be honest.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
lol King Kong will not see big numbers, watch. i think the movie will rock but it's not gona make that much. Maybe 120, 170 mil tops world-wide, give or take a few hundred thou. Mark my words.

I already said that "Titanic" made all the money it did because it was like a true story or something and it was about love. Girls swallowed it all over the world. King Kong has love but we're not talking Leo here. Which is probably one of the main reasons the ladies went to go check it out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, i want titanic out, but if it took Peter Jackson the killer film like "LOTR" with "ROTK" winning best pic like "Titanic" did and earning what, 1.2 billion world wide. What makes you think "King Kong", a movie that dino's in it, will take it? Females won't buy it. I see the typical girl going to go see "King kong" 2wice max. as oppose to "TiTanic's" 10, 20 times, lol
I doubt many people went to see Titanic 20 times... even 12 year old girls. But, yeah, the heart-throb factor was major with Titanic, and Kong might well be a better actor than leo, but I doubt he has the same appeal the movie-goers of the femal variety...

But I do think much of Kong's success will be through word-of-mouth. When word gets out how good the film is, I think the numbers will increase a lot. Maybe it wont be as big as Titanic, but I think it will be bigger than people think it will be.

I must say that with todays movie ticket prices I wont be seeing Kong at the theatres more than once. Maybe twice if it's really amazing.

Solo
I think It would make more on opening weekend to be honest.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Mando
Exactly what I was trying to say.

*catches on*

thumb up

Juwanna
I had a strong feeling Revenge of the Sith had a chance , but since it didn't I don't think Titanic will be beaten at the box-office for a while.

i fell asleep 3 of 4 times while watching this movie. I cant believe people actually paid to see it in the theater. it was terrible imo

i thought that Nick Cannon movie love dont cost a thing was better. sick

selest
yeah the pricing is getting ridiculous and makes going to the movies more then once a real nightmare and not worth it, considering you can buy the film on DVD for double the cost of going to the movies these days.

But back to the topic at hand I only watched Titanic once but I think as someone pointed out it was both a love story and about something that happened in history that had been talked about for years before the movie was made, and although LOTR had many different age groups going to see it as the book was so popular, the titanic I think had a wider range of age group wanting to see it past the normal, and I guess add the heart throb which I still don't understand his hype the younger woman would go and watch more then once. Also add LOTR had more movies and it wasn't just one movie means people don't go quite as often thinking they still need to see the other two, I would be surprised though if Titantic sold more DVDs then LOTRs has just to stir up the pot a little. stick out tongue

FistOfThe North
I must say that with todays movie ticket prices I wont be seeing Kong at the theatres more than once. Maybe twice if it's really amazing.

You forgot to factor in the spike in snacks that adds to the unattractiveness of going to the movies now. The prices are ridiculous here in Boston. Bargain matinee $7.75 (adults) nighttime $10.50 / Med Popcorn and soda totals about $8 - $9 not including candy if you're into that. And thats just one person. It cost almost $40 to go watch a movie with a date now, lol. Or just about $20 by yourself (transportation excluded) About 5 yrs ago, it was a quarter that. Imagine 5 yrs from now.

I'm no cheap penny pincher, I'm just more selective now.

lordofwar
Originally posted by Juwanna
i fell asleep 3 of 4 times while watching this movie. I cant believe people actually paid to see it in the theater. it was terrible imo

i thought that Nick Cannon movie love dont cost a thing was better. sick

How could you say ROTS was terrible? It was better than the first two.

Mando
How could you say ROTS was terrible? It was better than the first two.

It's all about opinion, really.

StinkFist462
i seen Titanic twice. once with my mom and the other time with a couple friends to see some boobs.

XxXRoxieXxX
the answer is: no

lol, this comeing from one of the biggest titanic fans ever.

crickey77
If someone would make a Movie about 9/11, Stone would be one of the first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

I just read an article about this one. I think it could be great. How do you think it'll be received overall?

Ushgarak
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Well, "Star Wars: A New Hope" held the top grossing spot in th US for 20 yrs. From 1977 till 1997 when "Titanic" blew it out the water, money-wise so go figure.

Inflation adjusted, Star Wars has still taken more.

Ultimate Hulk43
Kong and Superman Returns have the biggest chances of beating out Titanic.

MC_GG
The only movie that can actually knock Titanic off first place is Spider-Man 3, cuz look at it. Spider-Man 2 has the highest grossing in a week. It made around $180 million in 5 days

StinkFist462
its either between Kong and Spiderman 3.

MC_GG
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
Kong and Superman Returns have the biggest chances of beating out Titanic.
Superman Return laughing you gotta be kidding me. By looking at the Teaser i got p***ed because they copied some scenes from Batman Begins. Like Superman falling and stopping himself. Then meeting Lois Lane at the roof of a building.

Ultimate Hulk43
They didn't copy anything.

Darth_Erebus
Titanic isn't the movie to beat, Gone With The Wind is

MC_GG
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
They didn't copy anything.
If there wasnt a Batman Begins, there wouldnt be a Superman Returns, and btw watch the Batman Begins trailer and Superman Returns teaser and compare the 2. Here's what Superman Returns did

1. In Batman Begins trailer it starts out as Bruce Wayne falling down then bats coming out and he gets scared. In Superman Returns they starts off as Clark Kent falling from god knows where and stopping himself. Quincidence? I don't think so.

2. The last scene of Batman Begins is Batman talking to Gordon on top of a roof in a building where Batman discoveres Gordon made the bat sign so he can call him whenever he wants. In Superman Returns they did the same except Lois Lane calls Superman.

In other words Superman Returns copied Batman Begins because Bryan Singer is trying to make Superman Returns look dark which is not possible. Also if you look at Metropolis it looks funny because Metropolis is not a dark/gothic city. Trust me Superman Returns is gonna be like Fantastic Four or worst.

ToMacco
Of course Titanic will be beaten.

Tickets are constantly on the rise. The weekend box office means nothing anymore. The weekend starts on Tuesday night now. Population is on the rise. More and more theaters show more screens of any given film.

Talking_Owl
I agree, its only a matter of time.

Ultimate Hulk43
If Kong can stay in the top 10 for a couple more weeks in the U.S and in other countries as well,it'll still have a chance at beating Titanic.It's already grossed over 469 million worldwide,by the end of the week it should be around 480 million worldwide,hopefully.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by MC_GG
If there wasnt a Batman Begins, there wouldnt be a Superman Returns, and btw watch the Batman Begins trailer and Superman Returns teaser and compare the 2. Here's what Superman Returns did

1. In Batman Begins trailer it starts out as Bruce Wayne falling down then bats coming out and he gets scared. In Superman Returns they starts off as Clark Kent falling from god knows where and stopping himself. Quincidence? I don't think so.

2. The last scene of Batman Begins is Batman talking to Gordon on top of a roof in a building where Batman discoveres Gordon made the bat sign so he can call him whenever he wants. In Superman Returns they did the same except Lois Lane calls Superman.

In other words Superman Returns copied Batman Begins because Bryan Singer is trying to make Superman Returns look dark which is not possible. Also if you look at Metropolis it looks funny because Metropolis is not a dark/gothic city. Trust me Superman Returns is gonna be like Fantastic Four or worst.

Just shut up,Superman Returns has been in the works for years and in the scene where Lois is talking to Superman is not at the end of the movie dipshit.Superman Returns is not a copy of Batman Begins so just shut up and stop making yourself look more like an idiot.

redcaped
It sunk, let it go.

DeVi| D0do
Kong ain't gonna come close, unfotunately...

lordofwar
How about Shrek 3? The second Shrek movie is at number 3 for all time box-office.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.