Gibson SG vs. Gibson Les Paul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sk8stuff09
hey i was just wondering for you guitar players out there, which one you preferred, The Gibson SG or Gibson Les Paul? I'm deciding on which one to buy, but its really hard. Sound and quality wise, which one do you guys prefer? rock

Victor Von Doom
Personally the Les Paul, but they sound and handle very differently, so ideally you should go and try them before you decide.

el_barto
Les Pauls look pretty cool, but their sound is too dark for me. I prefer SG's just because they're a little brighter, and they're a little cooler.

VoodooChile89
I guess this is just a matter of opinion... but i own both!
an SG is only good for certain things... usually in standard tuning... and has little range in sense of what kind of music you play... but the Les Paul can do it all... it's the full package, whether it's standard, drop d, drop c or even DROP A... this guitar performs magnificently, although it will take a bigger chunk out of your pocket.

Df02
Les Paul both for style and sound.. depends what style of music you want to play though, i'm not massively into guitar so ill let everyone else help after you say; i'm more of a bass man

eggmayo
I have the Iommi sig SG, its bleddy awesome. Can't say I'm much of a Les Paul fan, they weigh a ton!

sk8stuff09
i can understand both sides of the opinions

Darth Jello
SG, but i'm biased cause i have small hands and ideally prefer the mutang and Jaguar body types. SG's just have a brghter sound and are a lot more comfortable, lighter and contoured. Plus, unless i'm mistaken, the SG has more tone and switching options.

VoodooChile89
They both have the exact same What the f**k?

On both guitars: (standard models)
4 knobs (2 volume and 2 tone)
and a 3-way toggle switch...

amity75
I was always led to believe that they were effectively the same guitar.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by amity75
I was always led to believe that they were effectively the same guitar.

They're very different.

eggmayo
SG's tend to be more top heavy, but mine definetly has a better metal sound.

Df02
Les Paul's are rarely a 'metal guitar' they don't sound right for it most of the time

amity75
In 1961 Gibson decided to alter the shape of the Les Paul and created a more adventurous body for it though Les Paul hated it and refused to put his name to it. Subsequently it was simply known as the SG.

Darth Jello
just get a Jazzmaster

Darth Revan
Get a Fender. yes

eggmayo
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Get a Fender. yes
Eww.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by eggmayo
Eww.

sad

amity75
If you're keen on a Gibson then why not be a bit different and get an Explorer? Waaay cooler than either the LP or SG.

SnakeEyes
I'd rather have an SG, but that's just me.

Darth Jello
depends on the fender, i'm not a big fan of strats, and i hate telecasters.
get a cyclone or a jaguar or a tornado.

Darth Jello
i gotta tell ya, aside from SG's, i really hate Gibsons, and Ibanez's, and Washburns, and all the other really expensive guitars which make it really hard to change strings with floyd rose bridges.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.