-=- Patriot Act Impeading On Canadians -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
A Canadian company Dealing with Americans, has refused busness with ther Americans beacuse the States want to check up on Every employee the Canadian Comopany Has hired.

The States Reserve the right to Sue the Cndian Company if they refuse to be checked up on.

It is through things like this that Americans can justify intrusion of privacy.

Dagons Blade
We have a right to know who were dealing with when it comes to National Security. If your company employed Americans, would you
do the same to us if WE refused YOUR background checks? Just curious.

C'mon now. Every company has a right to know if anyone in
their employ has a criminal background history..background checks are part of normal everyday jobs as well. I think that's only fair.

Captain REX
I feel that we have no business in Canadian affairs. You don't see us checking up on everyone in England, Germany, France, China, the Moon. It's just because Canada is right next to us, and so far they're trying to resist becoming a puppet.

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
their employ has a criminal background history..background checks are part of normal everyday jobs as well. I think that's only fair.
I don't think that's what he said at all. Inarticulate as the first post (and this subsequent one) was, it seemed to say that an American government was going to run background checks on everyone in the (Canadian) company. So the company having a right to know about people it employs has not thing one to do with it.

I do know that reading comprehension can be difficult in these circumstances, but take more care with it. In any case, though, there does seem to be a contract involved. No agreement was reached because of one of the government's conditions (some manner of source would have been nice, as would actual details, and coherent sentences), but they have no means to force the matter. So, on the whole, no harm no foul... except that both parties lost some business... what the nature of that business might be, I have no idea.

Wanderer259
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
A Canadian company Dealing with Americans, has refused busness with ther Americans beacuse the States want to check up on Every employee the Canadian Comopany Has hired.

The States Reserve the right to Sue the Cndian Company if they refuse to be checked up on.

Was this the American government demanding this or an American corporation?

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I don't think that's what he said at all. Inarticulate as the first post (and this subsequent one) was, it seemed to say that an American government was going to run background checks on everyone in the (Canadian) company. So the company having a right to know about people it employs has not thing one to do with it.

I do know that reading comprehension can be difficult in these circumstances, but take more care with it.

It's only as good as it's worded. That I assume no resp. for.

I think we meant background checks and nothing more, that's standard ops for any company. I don't agree with being sued for it though. That's a bit far if you ask me. That's not needed.

Way I see it, you have nothing in your background to worry about, no prob. It also depends on what kind of business you're running too. Certain businesses require some lofty background checks. That's only natural.

You wouldn't hire a convicted felon for an armored car job now would you?

soleran30
Patriot act sucks anywaysmile And after that little snippet I read it was for a canadian company that was doing business with an american business as said before no blood no foul.

((The_Anomaly))
the US has no right to interfere in any other countries affairs without prior agreement with the country they are dealing with (Canada in this case)

so if they Canada does not want (or think) that this is fair and We don't want the US to look into such things and they wont trade with this one company, then screw the US as far as I'm concerned.

I understand that both the US and Canada rely on the massive trade between out countries, but I'm sick of the US imposing their laws on others. we don't have a "patriot act" in Canada, and the US has no right to force us into abiding by a law we don't have.

lil bitchiness
We have a right to know who were dealing with when it comes to National Security. If your company employed Americans, would you
do the same to us if WE refused YOUR background checks? Just curious.

Companies, all around the world, you might be suprised, do a criminal background check on their employees - not just America.

This kind of thing just undermines the Canadians - its like ''you don't know who you're hiering, so we'll have a little dig around''

Besides, what is up with just freely allowing this kind of doctatorship to take place...

Victor Von Doom
The thread title has bad spelling and grammar. Let no-one say you aren't thorough.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Companies, all around the world, you might be suprised, do a criminal background check on their employees - not just America.

No kidding. And based on this, I'm suprised that Canada is taking such a stance about dictatorships. It seems as if they're trying to exempt themselves from the procedure. I hear all these kneejerk reactions about background checks and dictatorships...can you actually prove that that's the case?

Seems to me Canada would refuse even if it WASN'T the Patriot Act. And they're the only ones doing it so...

This kind of thing just undermines the Canadians - its like ''you don't know who you're hiering, so we'll have a little dig around''.

I don't hear anyone else bitching about this, only Canada.

Besides, what is up with just freely allowing this kind of doctatorship to take place...

Again, prove to me that that's the case. What evidence do you have? (Oh nevermind, Michael Moore and Paul Martin just walked thru the door....)

Dagons Blade
I do know that reading comprehension can be difficult in these circumstances, but take more care with it. In any case, though, there does seem to be a contract involved. No agreement was reached because of one of the government's conditions (some manner of source would have been nice, as would actual details, and coherent sentences), but they have no means to force the matter. So, on the whole, no harm no foul... except that both parties lost some business... what the nature of that business might be, I have no idea.

Yeah they lost business over something as simple as background checks, with the kneejerk reaction of the imposition of dictatorship.
It seems to me that Canada would refuse even if the Patriot Act wasn't involved. And I don't see any other country moaning, only Canada.

Yet I'm sure if we refused to submit to their laws..there would be all hell to pay. If the Patriot Act wan't involved, would there still be refusals?

If the text of the agreement is a reasonable one, then what's the problem? If both sides can work on a deal that circumvents whatever it is that has the Canadians so spooked, then why not work together?
It can be done..and I hate to say this but there's a bit of sefishness here.

Again I say: would you give a convicted felon an armored car job? NO? And how do you find out that he ISN'T a felon? 2 words-background check.

manny321
Canada and the US are going to have a bad relationship for next few years under Bush's rule. Canadian view America as a crazy circus and Americans view Canada as some place up north.

Canada is a very liberal country while the US is not so they are not going to agree with each other. Our PM said the US should start listening to the world on the environment and then the stupid US Ambassador got right into our election saying stop bashing us.

Now tell me isn't that interfering.

Damn Bush is trying to get a Conservative Guy (stephen Harper) elected here so he can make us do everything they wan't. Like go help in Iraq and give us free riegn on your oil.

BackFire
Canada? They're still around?

KharmaDog
Yeah they lost business over something as simple as background checks, with the kneejerk reaction of the imposition of dictatorship.
It seems to me that Canada would refuse even if the Patriot Act wasn't involved. And I don't see any other country moaning, only Canada.

Yet I'm sure if we refused to submit to their laws..there would be all hell to pay. If the Patriot Act wan't involved, would there still be refusals?

If the text of the agreement is a reasonable one, then what's the problem? If both sides can work on a deal that circumvents whatever it is that has the Canadians so spooked, then why not work together?

Again I say: would you give a convicted felon an armored car job? NO? And how do you find out that he ISN'T a felon? 2 words-background check.

You seem to be under the misconception that the majority of Canadian businisesses do not have appropriate hiring procedures or perform background check themselves.

What (to my understanding) is the problem, is the U.S. government thinking that they can do a better job. Or that the U.S. government thinks it has the right to dictate how other countries conduct business, yet feel free to do anything, such as go into Iraq, without the concent or concern for the rest of the world.

It isn't the fact that we are 'spooked', it is the fact that the American government has enough of it's own problems to deal with, they should keep their attention to their own back yard.

soleran30
actually if you could like the story that correlates to this story it might help to put it in better perspective.

KharmaDog

One more point, it would behoove the Canadian government to be cautious of the actions of the American government as they have shown themselves untrustworthy, when concerning themselves with international business relations, in the recent past. I refer directly to the softwood lumber dispute which is the result of Washington maintaining extremely high duties on softwood lumber despite a final trade ruling (made by an international body) in Canada's favour.

FeceMan
Originally posted by BackFire
Canada? They're still around?
Annexation before taxation.

Draco69
People. You're asking the wrong questions. Where is the Canadian company located? A Canadian company doesn't mean it's in Canada. It could mean it's in Wyoming or New Jersey for all we know. THINK. We also have Japanese companies in America. We make sure they're not up to any hocus-pocus too. If you do business in America, than you're subject to our laws. If you don't like it, do business somewhere else.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by KharmaDog
One more point, it would behoove the Canadian government to be cautious of the actions of the American government as they have shown themselves untrustworthy, when concerning themselves with international business relations, in the recent past. I refer directly to the softwood lumber dispute which is the result of Washington maintaining extremely high duties on softwood lumber despite a final trade ruling (made by an international body) in Canada's favour.

I'm aware of that business deal. But to be fair, how many other countries, in the past, have made laws they don't have to listen to? I agree though that international ruling should have been the final word if it was fair for everyone involved. And let's face it, high duties on ANY product sucks sad One bad deal dosen't make the whole portfolio though.

Dagons Blade
You seem to be under the misconception that the majority of Canadian businisesses do not have appropriate hiring procedures or perform background check themselves.

I never said that. But why do Canadians see themselves exempt from American background checks, if under a reverse situation, Americans would have to do the same thing?

What (to my understanding) is the problem, is the U.S. government thinking that they can do a better job. Or that the U.S. government thinks it has the right to dictate how other countries conduct business, yet feel free to do anything, such as go into Iraq, without the concent or concern for the rest of the world.

Iraq has nothing to do with this, it's a non issue. We never said we could do a better job. But there has to be some common ground for background checks and security or else it's no good. We're not shoving anything down anyone's throat here.

It isn't the fact that we are 'spooked', it is the fact that the American government has enough of it's own problems to deal with, they should keep their attention to their own back yard.

Well, if you keep going around thinking that we're trying to establish political beachheads, and keep your guard up all the time, then that's going to be your reality and noone will change your mind.

Oh well, at least ONE Canadian had somehting good to say about America:

http://www.phillytalkradioonline.com/comment/usa.html

If that's your attitude, fine then. Just don't count THIS American as one of the bad ones. s'all I have..

KharmaDog
Oh well, at least ONE Canadian had somehting good to say about America:

Actually many Canadians have good things about america and americans. If you've been around here a while you would be aware of that fact, as are others.

As I am sure there is more than ONE Canadian who has nice things to say about our neighbours to the south, I am sure there is more than ONE American who is unhappy regarding how your foreign relations have been going as of late.

By the way, that speech by Sinclair has been reffered to multiple times in this forum, it is also dated back in 1973, I am sure he would add to it based on recent events.

Dagons Blade
Actually many Canadians have good things about america and americans. If you've been around here a while you would be aware of that fact, as are others.

As I am sure there is more than ONE Canadian who has nice things to say about our neighbours to the south, I am sure there is more than ONE American who is unhappy regarding how your foreign relations have been going as of late.

By the way, that speech by Sinclair has been reffered to multiple times in this forum, it is also dated back in 1973, I am sure he would add to it based on recent events.

I'll buy that. I never said ALL canadinas were that way, and converesely, neither are all Americans. But as someone living in America, I get tired of hearing about how we are war mongering, gun loving hicks who sleep with our cousins and drive pickup trucks with 8 or 9 assault weapons in the back.

Because of shit like this, most foreigners see us as right wing gay
hating white robe KKK boys who hang people in trees regularly. And as someone who has relatives who live, and as one myself who has lived in the South, I take great offense to this.

We have poor people here too, we have unemployment, we have crime. What place on Earth dosen't? There's also a lot of good hard working people here who would help you if you needed it. As ususal, it's all political..the worst elements and most negative things being used to suit the naysayers who love saying " I told you so."

Let people think what they want, they will anyway...seems that's one thing that will never change.

Draco69
I'll buy that. I never said ALL canadinas were that way, and converesely, neither are all Americans. But as someone living in America, I get tired of hearing about how we are war mongering, gun loving hicks who sleep with our cousins and drive pickup trucks with 8 or 9 assault weapons in the back.

Because of shit like this, most foreigners see us as right wing gay
hating white robe KKK boys who hang people in trees regularly. And as someone who has relatives who live, and as one myself who has lived in the South, I take great offense to this.

We have poor people here too, we have unemployment, we have crime. What place on Earth dosen't? There's also a lot of good hard working people here who would help you if you needed it. As ususal, it's all political..the worst elements and most negative things being used to suit the naysayers who love saying " I told you so."

Let people think what they want, they will anyway...seems that's one thing that will never change.

I agree completely. God knows the amount of anti-Americanism we have to endure....

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Draco69
People. You're asking the wrong questions. Where is the Canadian company located? A Canadian company doesn't mean it's in Canada. It could mean it's in Wyoming or New Jersey for all we know..
Why, it's almost like the entire discussion is a waste of time because the first, horribly written post provided neither information nor any source whatsoever.

soleran30
Why, it's almost like the entire discussion is a waste of time because the first, horribly written post provided neither information nor any source whatsoever.

yo yo yo .......WORD.........exactly where is the document?

Dagons Blade
I agree completely. God knows the amount of anti-Americanism we have to endure....

Thank you.

OUR guns are tghe only ones used for crime (yet the Third World countries have murdered millions with AK-47's and other Russian marvels.)

We defend Israeli occupation, while the Syrian occupation of Lebanon goes on for almost 50 years w\o anyone complaining about THAT..

WE are the only warmongers in the world (yet in the face of massive human atrocities, the UN sat back and did nothing in Cambodia, Rwanda, or Kosovo, and allowed an entire Pakistani convoy to be cut to pieces in Somalia during the BlackHawk Down incident as they weren't allowed to reurn fire.) "We truly abhor this"..Annan's broken record..

We want oil (yet the UN bent over backward for Saddam and broke their unconditional inspection rules by allowing palaces to be shut for 24-72 hours at a time while they found a way to exclude Americans from the inspections for fear of bias, in light of the fact inspections were to be UN-conditional.) Oil For Food, anyone?

Bush is all to blame-(yet Clinton laughed in the face of the Israeli Mossad and the UAE as they provided him with pinpoint intel about Bin Ladens whereabouts in Tanzania and Sudan and Kenya. Somehow banning guns and bombing Kosovo were more important. As a result of his inability to act, we lose embassies in those areas and hello to 9\11)

Not to mention the masscares in Rwanda as a result of Clinton's inability (or reluctance) to pressurize the UN Sec. Council tooverride the veto of the use of troops in Rwanda that could have STOPPED it.

OUR men are sexist (when in Islam a man can beat a woman to death for talking out of turn, or for showing a part of her body or for not covering her hair.)

I could go on but the list is infinite. And most of it is bullshit.

FeceMan
Snap.

Dagons Blade

Here it is again, for everyone's information.

Originally posted by Koala MeatPie

I have one question that's burned deeply for a while since I read this:

What's a "Cndian"?

The States Reserve the right to Sue the Cndian Company if they refuse to be checked up on

Sue is capitalized, so the State Reserve has rights to a business named the "Sue The Cndian Company." I guess this means they bought they company?

QUOTE=5560977]Originally posted by Koala MeatPie

Whats a Canadian Comopany? Is that their version of Monopoly?

I'm curious...

lil bitchiness
Again, prove to me that that's the case. What evidence do you have? (Oh nevermind, Michael Moore and Paul Martin just walked thru the door....)

Evidence?

I enjoy more freedom in Europe, then you have ever known in America.

KharmaDog
Thank you.

OUR guns are tghe only ones used for crime (yet the Third World countries have murdered millions with AK-47's and other Russian marvels.)

We defend Israeli occupation, while the Syrian occupation of Lebanon goes on for almost 50 years w\o anyone complaining about THAT..

WE are the only warmongers in the world (yet in the face of massive human atrocities, the UN sat back and did nothing in Cambodia, Rwanda, or Kosovo, and allowed an entire Pakistani convoy to be cut to pieces in Somalia during the BlackHawk Down incident as they weren't allowed to reurn fire.) "We truly abhor this"..Annan's broken record..

We want oil (yet the UN bent over backward for Saddam and broke their unconditional inspection rules by allowing palaces to be shut for 24-72 hours at a time while they found a way to exclude Americans from the inspections for fear of bias, in light of the fact inspections were to be UN-conditional.) Oil For Food, anyone?

Bush is all to blame-(yet Clinton laughed in the face of the Israeli Mossad and the UAE as they provided him with pinpoint intel about Bin Ladens whereabouts in Tanzania and Sudan and Kenya. Somehow banning guns and bombing Kosovo were more important. As a result of his inability to act, we lose embassies in those areas and hello to 9\11)

Not to mention the masscares in Rwanda as a result of Clinton's inability (or reluctance) to pressurize the UN Sec. Council tooverride the veto of the use of troops in Rwanda that could have STOPPED it.

OUR men are sexist (when in Islam a man can beat a woman to death for talking out of turn, or for showing a part of her body or for not covering her hair.)

I could go on but the list is infinite. And most of it is bullshit.

So, are you trying to say, that any complaints that anyone (including americans) may have against the policies of the U.S., even if they are valid, are frivolous and should be ignored based on the fact that other countries are doing similar things too?

It's also funny, that in defending your nation's actions/history you had to point out what you believe to be glaring mistakes by Clinton. So the blame game is fine with you, so long as you point out other countries instead, or Clinton rather than Bush?

soleran30
Evidence?

I enjoy more freedom in Europe, then you have ever known in America.

maybe but thats really subjective.........not something you can be certain of.

manny321
Its really BUSH that has caused the strain. How can you expect a left wing liberal PM of Canada and ultra-right wing Conservative president to get along like best friends??

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by soleran30
maybe but thats really subjective.........not something you can be certain of.

WORD. We're not hearing the real deal, only her perceptions.

Dagons Blade
So, are you trying to say, that any complaints that anyone (including americans) may have against the policies of the U.S., even if they are valid, are frivolous and should be ignored based on the fact that other countries are doing similar things too?

It's also funny, that in defending your nation's actions/history you had to point out what you believe to be glaring mistakes by Clinton. So the blame game is fine with you, so long as you point out other countries instead, or Clinton rather than Bush?

Again, YOUR words, not mine. It seems that pointing out the unilateral
failures of the past before Bush was in office is what really hurts your ears. I'm simply saying the street runs both ways. How you take it is of no consequence to me. I'm not going to bend backward for you every time you twist somehting I say. Learn to accept the fact that this is a situation in which we ALL failed, despite what the current crop of Michael Moore\Green Day fans percieve.

You just don't want to hear that anyone else is at fault, because it's not a popular concept. besides, God forbid if you should have a differing opinion among your school and college buddies..you'll automatically become the bad guy.

KharmaDog
You just don't want to hear that anyone else is at fault, because it's not a popular concept. besides, God forbid if you should have a differing opinion among your school and college buddies..you'll automatically become the bad guy.

You talk of the liberties people take with what you say. I just read what you say and comment on it. But read the above post. You assume that I am in school or university and make character comments on those asssumptions.

Any good points that you make are often overshadowed by your hyperbole.

Dagons Blade
You talk of the liberties people take with what you say. I just read what you say and comment on it. But read the above post. You assume that I am in school or university and make character comments on those asssumptions.

Any good points that you make are often overshadowed by your hyperbole.

Well let's face it mate. Colleges aren't necessarily the popular place for right wing opinions, since most of their aging staff consists of radical hippies pissed that they couldn't get their way back in the day..and they continue to teach their messages thru all the shit they put in the heads of the younger generation. Or "overthrowing the Establishment" as they call it.

Any good points I make? When the **** have you ever listened? Enlighten me on my good points, please.

PVS
and another topic is killed by the 'evil liberal college professors' myth.

thats three topics killed according to my count.

KharmaDog
You said:

Which (and I may be wrong) means that you were under the misconception that I was a school or university student or someone of that age. I commented to you that it was a misconception on your part, and this was your response.

Well let's face it mate. Colleges aren't necessarily the popular place for right wing opinions, since most of their aging staff consists of radical hippies pissed that they couldn't get their way back in the day..and they continue to teach their messages thru all the shit they put in the heads of the younger generation. Or "overthrowing the Establishment" as they call it.

Do you preach just to hear yourself? Because you never address what others say. You just try to bull rush your points.

Any good points I make? When the **** have you ever listened? Enlighten me on my good points, please.

I would not even dignify this post with an example. You seem like the tyype of person who desperatly needs affirmation in what they believe and how they are persieved.

I have listened very well, I have addressed your points, you are the one who goes off on tangents and misrepresents the comments of others.

Wanderer259
Why does everything degenerate into:

"You're just a liberal!"
"You're just a conservative!"
"Dems suck!"
"Republicans suck!"

That's one problem our country has - too much bullshit based on private political agenda and our citizenry has been dragged into it.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Wanderer259
Why does everything degenerate into:

"You're just a liberal!"
"You're just a conservative!"
"Dems suck!"
"Republicans suck!"

That's one problem our country has - too much bullshit based on private political agenda and our citizenry has been dragged into it.

I agree with you there. The funny thing is when Clinton was in power and I'd talk to my friends in the States, more than one would comment that I was a republican in Canadian clothing. Now when I disagree with what goes on I'm tagged as being a democrat.

I'm neither, I'm independent, but it just seems out of the reach of some to conceive that some people make decision based more on something as simple as party affiliation.

Dagons Blade
Which (and I may be wrong) means that you were under the misconception that I was a school or university student or someone of that age. I commented to you that it was a misconception on your part, and this was your response.

That was a just in case and if I'm wrong, good so be it. Then I'm wrong.

Do you preach just to hear yourself? Because you never address what others say. You just try to bull rush your points.

What you percieve as bull rushing, is my counter to the other bullrush, knee jerk reactionists on the Left who believe that ANY credit given to the Right on any issue is somehow a nod to the Evil Empire. ANY time someone from the Right tries to show the Left what THEY'RE wrong on, it automatically becomes a 3 ring circus for allegations of repression of civil rights and being tramped under the heels of some secret Star Chamber society in our govt.

Your defense to detract from your explantions of the things I call you on is a your accusations of bull rushing, makes you look bad while you try to buy time to find other ways to make me look bad because I stand up for the Right.

IOriginally posted by KharmaDog
would not even dignify this post with an example. You seem like the tyype of person who desperatly needs affirmation in what they believe and how they are persieved. .

What, because I reinforce my points several times when I rarely get any proof from either you or PVS that I'm wrong?

I have listened very well, I have addressed your points, you are the one who goes off on tangents and misrepresents the comments of others.

As if I'm the only one whose ever done that? Oh but wait, Righties are always wrong, so I'm screwed to begin with. Such a lovely system you have worked out. I'm glad it works to your advantage.

Laurie
People. You're asking the wrong questions. Where is the Canadian company located? A Canadian company doesn't mean it's in Canada. It could mean it's in Wyoming or New Jersey for all we know. THINK. We also have Japanese companies in America. We make sure they're not up to any hocus-pocus too. If you do business in America, than you're subject to our laws. If you don't like it, do business somewhere else.

Quite! I don't understand what all the fuss is about...

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Wanderer259

WERD!!!

Well that's what you get when you let private "citizens" like Michael Moore, and Hollywood's notion that they're a political party, have too much say, especially since these are rich, bored individuals who try to make America a place where life is a series of apologies with no repsonsibilities for words or actions, and the way that people like Ted Kennedy (Chappaquiddick) and Martha Stewart m(stock dumper\inside trader) and that Jennifer Tilly ***** (shoplifter) get off on laws that WE spend years in jail for, is proof enough.

Private political agenda is the key here. Hollywood, the entertainment industry, and Moore should mind their own ****in business. NO American needs their ****ing permission to do ANYTHING currently allowed by our Constitution. Nor are they above the laws they help the politicians form, ones that mainly get forced down the throat of civilians while politicians and their rich media buddies are exempt from them..

I agree with you there. The funny thing is when Clinton was in power and I'd talk to my friends in the States, more than one would comment that I was a republican in Canadian clothing. Now when I disagree with what goes on I'm tagged as being a democrat.

I'm neither, I'm independent, but it just seems out of the reach of some to conceive that some people make decision based more on something as simple as party affiliation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.