24-hour Drinking Licence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
For you in Britain, as you may or may not know, the new 24-hours drinking laws have taken place, especially here in Brighton.

This means that pubs and clubs can be opened 24/7, and thus can serve alcohol 24/7. This was put in place to avoid binge drinking just before chuck out time.

Many clubs and pubs have applied for the licence and almost every club along the coast as well as around the Brighton has the licence.

The club my friends and I go to frequently has the licence and its opened till 8am.
Most other clubs vary from 4am, 6am, to 8am. There is talk that The Beach will be opened till 10 am, or even all day every day.

Pubs, especially the one I live above, is now open till 1.30am, as opposed to 11pm.
Talk about noise.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Has it affected your area? Do you think its a good idea?
Have you tried the party all night thing?

botankus
That would be nice. Everything closes down here at 1:30 AM and hence, the aforementioned binge drinking ensues.

jaden101
in Scotland liscencing laws are a devolved matter and thus we dont have 24 hour opening times...the opposite is happening with regard to off licenses though...they are having their hours of alcohol trading reduced

i cant see it making a huge difference to my group of friends as our drinking time is largely dictated by weekend working and university during the week

they are trying to promote what they refer to as "continental" drinking culture in Britain...completely forgetting that we dont get continental weather on the same latitude as moscow, canada and parts of norway...in other words we cant sit outside and drink wine for about 10 months of the year cause its too cold

Deano
terrible idea. lets watch the violence skyrocket

Victor Von Doom
Didn't know you were in the UK, Lil.

I don't know how this will affect things. It'll probably stay roughly the same overall, with deviations on either end of the scale.

debbiejo
Still there will probably be lots of check stop tests....Sobriety checks.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo
Still there will probably be lots of check stop tests....Sobriety checks.

Not here.

debbiejo
OH, you must not be in the US then.....I just thought Britain did the same thing....guess not.

Eis
Originally posted by botankus
That would be nice. Everything closes down here at 1:30 AM and hence, the aforementioned binge drinking ensues.
1:30?! Holly shit, even I party 'till at least 2:30 everything here in Shanghai is open until at least 3:30, 4:00 a.m.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo
OH, you must not be in the US then.....I just thought Britain did the same thing....guess not.

Nah. Only while driving.

botankus
Originally posted by Eis
1:30?! Holly shit, even I party 'till at least 2:30 everything here in Shanghai is open until at least 3:30, 4:00 a.m.

Well, in my town we have about 10,000,000 fewer people than in Shanghai...that may explain it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Nah. Only while driving. Okay then........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Well, in my town we have about 10,000,000 fewer people than in Shanghai...that may explain it. Bars in Chicago are open later until 3:00am, I think, but here in MI, they close at 2:00am.

Around the holidays all the state troupers are laying in wait...for sure.

Capt_Fantastic
24 hour liquor liscense? God, that would be great!

There was a club in Atlanta called Backstreet. It was formerly the rotery club, and it had a 24 hour liquor liscense. So, when all the other clubs wold close, everyone would head to backstreet. I can't remember how many times I stumbled out of that place at 7 or 8 in the AM. Literally.

botankus
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
24 hour liquor liscense? God, that would be great!

There was a club in Atlanta called Backstreet. It was formerly the rotery club, and it had a 24 hour liquor liscense. So, when all the other clubs wold close, everyone would head to backstreet. I can't remember how many times I stumbled out of that place at 7 or 8 in the AM. Literally.

Backstreets on Spring Street! Not that I ever went there, but went by it many, many times. I lived right across the Connector for 5 years.

Capt_Fantastic
Backstreets on Spring Street! Not that I ever went there, but went by it many, many times. I lived right across the Connector for 5 years.

I believe it's closed now. Which is too bad. It was a great place. I always referred to it as the Tower of Babel. And you should have gone. After about 3 in the AM, it was a mixed crowd. Everyone made it to Backstreet eventually.

botankus
I believe it's closed now. Which is too bad. It was a great place. I always referred to it as the Tower of Babel. And you should have gone. After about 3 in the AM, it was a mixed crowd. Everyone made it to Backstreet eventually.
What about Loretta's? And what time did your crew hit the Waffle House? 5:00? I hit many an Awful Waffle around 2:00-ish.

Capt_Fantastic
What about Loretta's? And what time did your crew hit the Waffle House? 5:00? I hit many an Awful Waffle around 2:00-ish.

There were nights where we never made it to eat, after. There were nights where it ended late enough to get breakfast at McDonalds. Breakfast is the only thing I eat at fast food resturants. It's been a while, actually, since I ate at a Wafflehouse. Since I moved to San Francisco, I've had Mr. PizzaMan. It's a pizza place that delivers 24 hours a day.

I do remember one night, where we encountered a man throwing up all over the parking lot of a waffle house. There were eggs all over the place. It kind of ruined the experience for me.

KharmaDog
I do remember one night, where we encountered a man throwing up all over the parking lot of a waffle house. There were eggs all over the place. It kind of ruined the experience for me.

That's being a "cup is half empty" person.

A "cup is half full" person would have thought, "OOOOO great! more eggs and waffles for the rest of us!"

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KharmaDog
That's being a "cup is half empty" person.

A "cup is half full" person would have thought, "OOOOO great! more eggs and waffles for the rest of us!"

I guess that would depend on what was in the cup. If it's reprocessed scrambled eggs, then I'm definately a half-empty kinda guy.

grey fox
Stupid idea and will cause more drunken stupidity then their already is.....

Blue Dragon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.