Spelling, grammer and punctuation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
What's going on? Why is competent spelling, grammar (yes, the title was intentional) and punctuation such a novelty nowadays?

Laurie
A universal enigma...

BackFire
cuz its a movie messege bored and not a english class,

Smallville
Originally posted by BackFire

Game, set, match.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
What's going on? Why is competent spelling, grammar (yes, the title was intentional) and punctuation such a novelty nowadays? I hate using all that. Why cant the internet be freedom like it used to be, now i gotta type how other people type. Hell no. I dont like to be like otha people!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by JacopeX
I hate using all that. Why cant the internet be freedom like it used to be, now i gotta type how other people type. Hell no. I dont like to be like otha people!

You 'hate using all that'? Hard isn't it? These Commie spellers. Making you communicate effectively.

Backfire: I suppose saying it in jest saves someone saying it for real. Or does it...

KharmaDog

Originally posted by Smallville
Game, set, match.

So this being a movie message board is excuse enough for people to communicate as though they were mildly retarded?

I disagree.

BackFire
No, but people shouldn't expect extraordinary grammar from everyone on a movie website. Like, if someone leaves out a period or misspells a word, or doesn't capitalize something, who cares? They're not being graded on it. Basically, the grammar nazi's who expect absolute perfection out of everyone while arguing about The Matrix need to shut up and go be a teacher if they want to lecture about trival mistakes.

That said, I think the people who actually type the way I did above in my parody really should put a tad more effort to make their statements a little more comprehensible.

Mando
I spell check my Posts every time. Sometimes I type the wrong word in, but that wrong word is spelled correctly. So I think it is best just to look over the post yourself. Plus with that being said, Correct grammar makes a person sound more professional. But Like BackFire said, you're not being graded. And regular members only have 15 minutes to edit their post. So try as hard as you can.

Alpha Centauri
I don't think he's necessarily talking about typos or the odd misspelling of a word.

I think he's talking about butchery.

-AC

BobbyD
I agree, but not so sure I think it's necessary for a site like this.

BobbyD
Oh great, my message followed, AC, when it was meant for the previous response.

Should I put my goalie equipment on, AC?

Alpha Centauri
How can you agree then?

And what's all this BS about not being graded? You should only use correct language when being forced to?

-AC

BobbyD
This is an interesting thread, no doubt....curious to see all the responses that come this way.

Victor Von Doom
No, but people shouldn't expect extraordinary grammar from everyone on a movie website. Like, if someone leaves out a period or misspells a word, or doesn't capitalize something, who cares?

Neither would be grammar. I don't expect Dickens length sentences, but come on.

Such a lame excuse as well.

It's not maths class but the laws of arithmetic still apply; my pressing of these keys is in fact leading to the corresponding character appearing on the monitor, but we aren't in science class.

Seeing as we are actually using language to communicate, I don't really see why 'we're not in English class' is given any credit at all.

Mando
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't think he's necessarily talking about typos or the odd misspelling of a word.

I think he's talking about butchery.

-AC

Now That's a whole different story. If you comletley butcher a sentance, then you just aren't cut out to be a regular on a forum. IMO.

lyke if u talc lyke this and stuff.

If there is something else I hate, It's things like: Y0 1|v| 1337!!!1!!!!11

Alpha Centauri
We were discussing that the other day. The "!!!!111one" thing needs to be put to rest.

-AC

Smallville
To elaborate on the arguements of Backfire made above...

If somebody put "no 1," or "no1," as opposed to "no one," is it really that difficult to difforenciate between the two? I dont think so, and I have a 120 gt score. So rather then wasting the 15 minutes it took you to draw this thread up on the proverbial chalk board, why not do what you came to a "MOVIE" message board to do? Talk about movies, and the various other media related topics this place has available.

If it is really such a bother to you, then... I dont care.

...the grammar nazi's who expect absolute perfection out of everyone while arguing about The Matrix need to shut up and go be a teacher if they want to lecture about trival mistakes.

... wow... hilarious.

Victor Von Doom
To elaborate on the arguements of Backfire made above...

If somebody put "no 1," or "no1," as opposed to "no one," is it really that difficult to difforenciate between the two?

No, it's not. That's not a spelling, grammar or punctuation error though is it?

Smallville
Originally posted by Mando
Now That's a whole different story. If you comletley butcher a sentance, then you just aren't cut out to be a regular on a forum. IMO.

Like misspelling COMPLETELY? Or rather then saying in my opinion?

lyke if u talc lyke this and stuff.

You know, there was a test performed at the university level, and the brain will understand what you read if there are three or more letters that the word is supposed to have in it? (OR something like that)

Smallville
No, it's not. That's not a spelling, grammar or punctuation error though is it?

I dont think words have numbers in them. Would that not constitute as a spelling mistake?

Victor Von Doom
I dont think words have numbers in them. Would that not constitute as a spelling mistake?

No, it's just a lazy alternative. '1' isn't a misspelling of 'one'.

BackFire
Because language can still be used and understood just as well while having a few trivial mistakes within it. If someone types something out but makes a couple of errors, but the point of his statement is still clear and decent then the errors shouldn't really matter.

But like I said above, there's a certain amount of competence that should be expected. The people who post like I did while joking above are way below the expected competence level of normal people and probably should get shit for their ineptitude.

Inspectah Deck
What's going on? Why is competent spelling, grammar (yes, the title was intentional) and punctuation such a novelty nowadays?

Ask Jacope stick out tongue

Smallville
The thing you have to understand is that nobody is perfect. People are in a hurry to type. I know, I used to be an accountant and a receptionist. In my prime I could type a 5 paragraph memo with headers and the whole 9 yards while carrying on a conversation with a co-worker in like 6 minutes flat. Which I think was kind of impressive, considering I had no previous keyboarding education.

I made my fair share of typos... but I dont expect people to jump down my throat about it. And pissing and moaning about it is not going to make the situation any better. You are really going to get anywhere on the quest you are on. Sorry... it not going to happen. People are going to abbreviate and find shortcuts around words. They are going to make typos. There is no need to use 6 syllable words when a 2 syllable word will do. It is not going to make a girls cyber-panties wet if you sound intelligent... this is a MESSAGE BOARD FOR MOVIES.

So.... get over it.

-hh-
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Ask Jacope stick out tongue laughing

GCG
Sometimes (rarely) its struggling to read a post.

Victor Von Doom
Because language can still be used and understood just as well while having a few trivial mistakes within it. If someone types something out but makes a couple of errors, but the point of his statement is still clear and decent then the errors shouldn't really matter.

But like I said above, there's a certain amount of competence that should be expected. The people who post like I did while joking above are way below the expected competence level of normal people and probably should get shit for their ineptitude.

Yes. This is my point.

Smallville
The people who post like I did while joking above are way below the expected competence level of normal people and probably should get shit for their ineptitude.

There are people below the competence level of normal people... we call them MODS! stick out tongue

No, but really. Just because a person is unfamiliar with words that you would hear if you watched "Frasier" makes them inept? If they forget punctuation they deserve to have people like this mocking them? I have to disagree.

Victor Von Doom
The thing you have to understand is that nobody is perfect.

I was actually of the impression that everybody was perfect. Thanks for the tip.

People are going to abbreviate and find shortcuts around words. They are going to make typos. There is no need to use 6 syllable words when a 2 syllable word will do.

I think you're thinking of the thread 'Abbreviations, typos and five dollar words'.

Mando
. It is not going to make a girls cyber-panties wet if you sound intelligent... this is a MESSAGE BOARD FOR MOVIES.

So.... get over it.

If you have the time to visit a Movie Message board frequently, You can take the time to Make your posts look sufficient And not like they were written by an 11 year old.

BackFire
No, they don't need to use big "Frasier" like words. like I said, there's no valid excuse for statements like this - "cuz its a movie messege bored and not a english class,". Now, I said this as a joke, but some people (not very many, really) actually type like this, as if they're making a concious effort to screw up the language. Hell, all they'd need to do is hit the spellcheck button right below their post.

See, this post is an example, I'm sure that there are grammatical errors within it, but the point is still made clear and understandable (I hope). There's just a level that should be expected, and really, it isn't very high, for me.

I don't care if people don't capitalize shit, I don't care if they don't use a period in the right spot and put a comma instead, as long as they spelled shit in a somewhat decent manner and don't look overly stupid then I don't think they should get shit for it. But, the people who type shit like - "u dun no wut they do it 4 so shuup nub." really don't deserve any form of respect.

Mando
But, the people who type shit like - "u dun no wut they do it 4 so shuup nub." really don't deserve any form of respect.

Very True. If there is one thing that I have learned. it's the fact that Respect gets you places.

KharmaDog
No, but really. Just because a person is unfamiliar with words that you would hear if you watched "Frasier" makes them inept? If they forget punctuation they deserve to have people like this mocking them? I have to disagree.

I actually like it when people use the correct words for the appropriate situation. If people choose not to, then they shouldn't be allowed to b*tch when no one knows what they mean when they try to communicate an idea.

I don't think that people are hacking on those who make the odd spelling mistake or typo, I think the bigger concern are those who butcher the english language or type like retarded chimps.

A good rule of thumb is, if you don't want to be perceived as an idiot or simpleton, then don't communicate as such.

Smallville
I was actually of the impression that everybody was perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Wow, so cunning and hurtful. I hope this evolves into a battle of wits. Jackass

I think you're thinking of the thread 'Abbreviations, typos and five dollar words'.

So even when something is dumbed down, you understand? Wow... what a concept. I wonder if this could apply to what is being argued here? If only there was a way....

Smallville
But, the people who type shit like - "u dun no wut they do it 4 so shuup nub." really don't deserve any form of respect.

That is a bit to the extream. But, even so... if a person is going to talk like that... why even concern yourself with them? (Outside of the fact you are a moderator, of course)

That would be cause for IGNORING.

KharmaDog
Wow, so cunning and hurtful. I hope this evolves into a battle of wits.

Be careful with what you wish for.

Smallville
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Be careful with what you wish for.

Please.

Victor Von Doom
Wow, so cunning and hurtful. I hope this evolves into a battle of wits. Jackass

I think you'd win, what with the smaller typing. I can't think up that kind of material.

If people would actually like to read the first post:

I do not mention typos, abbreviations, long words, and cetera.

Secondly, people seem to be assuming the thread is solely directed at typing on 'a movie-message board'. It doesn't actually say that.

Mando
That is a bit to the extream. But, even so... if a person is going to talk like that... why even concern yourself with them? (Outside of the fact you are a moderator, of course)

That would be cause for IGNORING.

Quite a point you have there. But say someone with valuable information types like that. You try your best to read it, but you find yourself trying to translate it for the rest of the night.

Alpha Centauri
That argument is stupid, being in a hurry to type. I type very fast without even looking at my keyboard.

It's not that monumental of an achievement or request and trying to defend those who type like they've hit their keyboard with a hammer just makes you look worse.

-AC

Smallville
Quite a point you have there. But say someone with valuable information types like that. You try your best to read it, but you find yourself trying to translate it for the rest of the night.

You are contradicting yourself. Somebody with "valuable information" would be able to communicate at the 3rd grade level... nd not lyk dis. And what sort of valuable info-nugget would one such as that be able to drop? How many cups of sugar it takes to get to the moon?

Smallville
That argument is stupid, being in a hurry to type. I type very fast without even looking at my keyboard.

If you insist.

overlord
For some odd reason; spelling errors from moderators annoy me..
Mostly when they are trying to make a point.

But the excuses are the worst. Just admit you are lazy, sheesh.. big grin

whobdamandog

Personally Vic I don't use the spellcheck function very often..and don't really check over much of what I write on the forumns. From time to time I'll edit a post. To add something else to it. But that's really it.

Some of what I've posted over the past couple of months..I've taken a look at and been like "whoah"..how the hell did I miss that word!! lol. Still most of my spelling/grammar errors are due to the fact that I'm an extremely fast typist. I type about 75-85 words a minute.

On another note Vic..not to be rude my friend..but your spelling and grammar "ain't" wink(yes I know ain't is improper) the best on the forums. I can typically spot many spelling/grammar errors in your posts.

Fin

whobdamandog
On a related note..those who generally type more in their posts, are generally prone to making more mistakes. Some people only type about a line or so when they respond. It "ain't" to difficult to come up with an error when your only response to a post is.

"I agree." or the typical.

"You have the right to your opinion."

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by whobdamandog

On another note Vic..not to be rude my friend..but your spelling and grammar "ain't" wink(yes I know ain't is improper) the best on the forums. I can typically spot many spelling/grammar errors in your posts.

Fin

I include myself obviously. Feel free to expose me.

debbiejo
What's it with this Fin stuff?

Alpha Centauri
"Ain't" is a lot different than grammar, spelling and punctuation butchery.

At least people punctuate "ain't".

-AC

BackFire
Ah, let's not start the whole Fin thing again, just let him be.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo

I believe it's in case we don't notice that the post is over.

whobdamandog

It means I "ain't" finished with you yet baby..love

Has to do with "lovin"...ya know what I mean..bebbie..wink

Victor Von Doom
I include myself obviously. Feel free to expose me.

No?

Actually, hang on. Debbie- any chance you could keep the random posts to something less than a maximum?

DanieLs_4_Ever
I cant very well explain why it ticks me off but advanced spelling was just something I was born with and get very aggravated by easily. That and pronunciation skills.
And even though I used to, but dont know, I hate how people express their laziness by using "u" instead of "you", and so on.
Edit: Of and I've also noticed that I hate when people start sentences "like this and constantly talk. then don't even bother to use punctuation or anything."

fini
hmmm I got nothing to do with it. Dont look at me

Victor Von Doom

I include myself obviously. Feel free to expose me. Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
No?

*Tumbleweed*

WindDancer
When it comes to grammer....I'm the biggest offender. But do I care? Not really. If you guys understand me is all good. Quite frankly people paying too much attention to spelling, and grammer, and punctuation, and paragraph construction in a message board.....should really just step out of Victorian language and let it loose.

Victor Von Doom
Just to reiterate again, though.

I'm not referring exclusively to messageboards.

whobdamandog
*Tumbleweed*

funnily - adverb..used to describe verbs.
enough - adjective

owned. wink

I'm sure if I search this thread and a few others..I can find a few more.

GCG
Its all a waste of time. Lets find something more constructive to do.

Victor Von Doom
funnily - adverb..used to describe verbs.
enough - adjective

owned. wink

I'm sure if I search this thread and a few others..I can find a few more.

That's just an idiom.

Do feel free to find some real ones, because apparently you typically find many.

Victor Von Doom
Moreover, 'enough' in that instance is an adverb.

50% hit-rate though.

debbiejo
So, I type with lots of ".........'s." It's the way I talk also....I'm giving you the feel for my breath, my pauses in my own unique way in which I speak......It's just like me being there.....How nice for everyone. Otherwise, I try to keep my spelling and grammar up to at least par. wink..

Victor Von Doom
So, I type with lots of ".........'s." It's the way I talk also....I'm giving you the feel for my breath, my pauses in my own unique way in which I speak......It's just like me being there....How nice for everyone. Otherwise, I try to keep my spelling and grammar up to at least par. wink

Very considerate.

whobdamandog
So, I type with lots of ".........'s." It's the way I talk also....I'm giving you the feel for my breath, my pauses in my own unique way in which I speak......It's just like me being there.. wink..How nice for everyone. Otherwise, I try to keep my spelling and grammar up to at least par.

Bebbie you can type as much s's as you want 4 mee..I wub you juz the way u r...

debbiejo
It's Debbie, Debbie, Debbie, Debbiejo......... cool

Besides I'm usually not looking at the keyboard when typing...I type fast and I'm looking out the window, thinking or talking to people around me...

whobdamandog
Moreover, 'enough' in that instance is an adverb.

50% hit-rate though.

Kind of difficult to tell what you're using it for..because you used it wrong in the sentence.

But at least you admitted to the mistake. wink

Alpha Centauri
I think you should be finding those many other posts you claim he has made mistakes in, rather than harping on the one that you tried to find and has been disproven.

-AC

whobdamandog
It's Debbie, Debbie, Debbie, Debbiejo......... cool

Besides I'm usually not looking at the keyboard when typing...I type fast and I'm looking out the window, thinking or talking to people around me...

Or thinking about whobdamandog..laughing stick out tongue Just like all the other women on the forum. Such as Lana..Lil Bitchness, and countless others..

Victor Von Doom
Kind of difficult to tell what you're using it for..because you used it wrong in the sentence.

But at least admitted to the mistake. wink

No, it wasn't a mistake, nor used wrongly.

The only mistake was your identifying of the type of word.

Far be it from me, though, to say owned.

whobdamandog
No, it wasn't a mistake, nor used wrongly.

The only mistake was your identifying of the type of word.

Far be it from me, though, to say owned.

Okay bud..whatever you say. You are not as bad as others however. I've seen those who claim to teach "English" on this forum totally decimate the English language in their posts. Now that's bad.

Alpha Centauri
I'm still at a loss as to how you can cockily proclaim you've owned the man, get disproven, claim it again, disproven again, then shift subject.

I thought there were many examples?

-AC

BackFire
I'm still at a loss as to how you can cockily proclaim you've owned the man, get disproven, claim it again, disproven again, then shift subject.

-AC

There are, but...but.....he just doesn't want to embarass VVD....yeah....that's it!

whobdamandog

-AC

There are plenty more. I just don't feel like going through every thread and finding them. I ain't trying to down the man or anything. Just trying to prove a point. If he believes that his post is a correct..then that's cool. Nothing ventured, gained, lost..etc. Just a simple post..not to be taken to seriously.

Fin

Victor Von Doom
If he believes that his post is a correct..then that's cool.

Cool and true. A good combination.

Victor Von Doom
Okay bud..whatever you say. You are not as bad as others however. I've seen those who claim to teach "English" on this forum totally decimate the English language in their posts. Now that's bad.

That would be bad, although I don't know which posters you are describing.

I'd venture that I'm not as 'bad' as any others.

Alpha Centauri
There are plenty more. I just don't feel like going through every thread and finding them. I ain't trying to down the man or anything. Just trying to prove a point. If he believes that his post is a correct..then that's cool. Nothing ventured, gained, lost..etc. Just a simple post..no to be taken to seriously.

Fin

Just trying to prove a point? Then why not either prove it or concede it? Don't say there are plenty more and then not show them. If you don't "feel like" going through every thread and finding them, don't insinuate that you are prepared to do so casually. You're not, as proven.

You tried to catch him out and made yourself look rather silly for doing so. That plus the fact that VVD isn't really one of the people you should be trying to debate spelling, grammar and punctuation with, probably points to "Stop trying."

-AC

whobdamandog
Just trying to prove a point? Then why not either prove it or concede it? Don't say there are plenty more and then not show them. If you don't "feel like" going through every thread and finding them, don't insinuate that you are prepared to do so casually. You're not, as proven.

You tried to catch him out and made yourself look rather silly for doing so. That plus the fact that VVD isn't really one of the people you should be trying to debate spelling, grammar and punctuation with, probably points to "Stop trying."

-AC

lol..Okay you all are entitled to believe what you would like to believe. Still doesn't equate to being correct..funnily enough..lol

Fin

GCG
What is wrong with 'Funnily enough' ?

Alpha Centauri
You: I've seen you make many mistakes.

VVD: Feel free to expose me.

You: *"Funnily enough" part* Owned wink.

VVD: *Proves that's not a mistake, contrary to what you may believe. Because it isn't*

You: I could find more, just can't be bothered.

Yes, stupid. As I said. You were wrong, he proved you wrong. Unless you can find all these points, you'll remain wrong.

Nothing is wrong with "Funnily enough", GCG. Ironically, as already stated, Whob made the mistake of not knowing how to interpret it.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Now that the tumbleweed has ceased obscuring the topic title-

I refer to the use of language in general, be that formally or on here. Or, in signwriting, leaflets, or basically anything where language is being used as a tool of communication.

GCG

Nothing is wrong with "Funnily enough", GCG. Ironically, as already stated, Whob made the mistake of not knowing how to interpret it.

-AC

Oh ! Its all out of spite. I get it.

Any feudal history between Whob & VVD ?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by GCG

Any feudal history between Whob & VVD ?

Nope, nor is there any now. It's all good fun.

whobdamandog
You: I've seen you make many mistakes.

VVD: Feel free to expose me.

You: *"Funnily enough" part* Owned wink.

VVD: *Proves that's not a mistake, contrary to what you may believe. Because it isn't*

You: I could find more, just can't be bothered.

Yes, stupid. As I said. You were wrong, he proved you wrong. Unless you can find all these points, you'll remain wrong.

-AC

Actually I did not. Funnily is an adverb. The function of an adverb is to describe a type of verb/adverb. Verbs are words that are used to describe "action." Enough is not a verb. It can be used as an adverb or an adjective, or an Interjection..but not a verb. I believe Vic tried to equate the phrase as being an idiom..which is also illogical. But what the hey..y'all can use it whatever way you want.

-Fin

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think it's just a case of KMC being filled with an idiot majority...

Victor Von Doom
Actually I did not. Funnily is an adverb. The function of adverbs is to describe types of verbs.

You're not quite right there, friend.

Adverbs can be used to modify other abverbs.

Verbs are words that are used to describe "action." Enough is not a verb. It can be used as an adverb or an adjective, or an Interjection..but not a verb.

See above for why this is irrelevant.

I believe Vic tried to equate the phrase as being an idiom..which is also illogical.

The usage is idiomatic, as evidenced by your lack of comprehension.

whobdamandog
You're not quite right there, friend.

Adverbs can be used to modify other abverbs.

Corrected before you responded. Still changes little though. You clearly used it improperly in the sentence.

Sounds like you're stretching the term "idiomatic" a bit..but what the hey..feel free to use it however you see fit. wink

Victor Von Doom
Corrected before you responded. Still changes little though. You clearly used it improperly in the sentence.

No, come on. Surely you're not going to admit you were wrong, but continue to claim I used it wrongly.

Sounds like your stretching the term "idiomatic" a bit..but what the hey..feel free to use it however you see fit. wink

Idiom: A style or manner of expression peculiar to a given people.

I could only assume that you hadn't encountered the usage, and you later confirmed that.

Your/you're is a schoolboy error, Whob.

Show the Christmas spirit and fairly concede a point you have lost, for once.

Alpha Centauri
"Owned wink"

-AC

whobdamandog
No, come on. Surely you're not going to admit you were wrong, but continue to claim I used it wrongly.

Idiom: A style or manner of expression peculiar to a given people.

I could only assume that you hadn't encountered the usage, and you later confirmed that.

Your/you're is a schoolboy error, Whob.

Show the Christmas spirit and fairly concede a point you have lost, for once.

lol..I don't need to concede. You clearly weren't using it for the purpose of being "idiomatic." I will admit to you being able to pull that one out of your "a$$" rather quickly which I will definitely give you debate props for. As well as concede to using your/you're improperly...which I quickly corrected.

See..I don't have a problem conceding..except when I'm right about something..wink

Victor Von Doom
lol..I don't need to concede. You clearly weren't using it for the purpose of being "idiomatic."

I wasn't using it for the purpose of being idiomatic. The meaning is clear to me, and most others here. It's your shortcoming that makes it so to you.

What exactly about 'funnily enough' is troubling you?

Alpha Centauri
You're not actually right though, he's factually proven you incorrect to the point that your only way of saving face is to insist what he meant.

-AC

long pig
Man, I graduated from HS, went to college for a few years and I still don't know where and when to put a comma or one of these guys ";".

Some of us just aren't good at spelling.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I wanna be in AC and VVD's gang. They cool.

David Crystal, in his far-reaching conpendium, 'The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language', would readily support that 'funnily enough' is a perfectly suitable phrase - although, I personally doubt whether it is truly an idiom.

Adv. 1. funnily enough - curious (or funny or interesting or odd or strange) though it may seem; "curiously enough, he didn't recognize his old friend"; "interestingly enough, America is now dependent on Africa for a large part of its oil"; "funnily enough, the ones I thought so ugly were the ones that sold out first"; "oddly enough, he hasn't mentioned it"

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Qualifying statement:

Although I dislike it being classfied as an idiom, it certainly fits with the definition of an 'idiom' being an expression of a given language that is peculiar to itself grammatically.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I wanna be in AC and VVD's gang. They cool.

David Crystal, in his far-reaching conpendium, 'The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language', would readily support that 'funnily enough' is a perfectly suitable phrase - although, I personally doubt whether it is truly an idiom.

Adv. 1. funnily enough - curious (or funny or interesting or odd or strange) though it may seem; "curiously enough, he didn't recognize his old friend"; "interestingly enough, America is now dependent on Africa for a large part of its oil"; "funnily enough, the ones I thought so ugly were the ones that sold out first"; "oddly enough, he hasn't mentioned it"

It's also in dictionary.com.

It's certainly not idiomatic to me.

It is peculiar enough for issue to be taken with it as if it's a phrase that just fell off the back of a lorry (another?), it would seem.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Quite.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Laurie
A universal enigma...
Hey, Jackie's back. Now with 85% more sense.

Its because eye use my spelling chequer; eye use it awl the thyme.
When it comes two righting up a sentence, eye just ain't worth a dime.
But with my spellcheque button, eye don't even knead too try,
And sew eye leave ewe with this message: with regards to grammar, FeceMan am cry.

Victor Von Doom
Funnily enough, there was a topic.

Now that the tumbleweed has ceased obscuring the topic title-

I refer to the use of language in general, be that formally or on here. Or, in signwriting, leaflets, or basically anything where language is being used as a tool of communication.

Ya Krunk'd: gang?

FeceMan
Funnily enough, there was a topic.

Ya Krunk'd: gang?
Ask the mods to fix your spelling of the word 'grammar'.

kthx

(YOU take 245 crushing damage from the irony!)

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by FeceMan
Ask the mods to fix your spelling of the word 'grammar'.

kthx

(YOU take 245 crushing damage from the irony!)

I dodged it. Your irony-attack was laughable.

FeceMan
I dodged it. Your irony-attack was laughable.
Twoshay.

I tend to get a tad too excited for my own good when dealing with grammar.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I also find poor grammar, spelling and punctuation lamentable, but perhaps we are engaged in a battle of futility? Modern man has developed so many technological advancements in the area of communication, that perhaps it is inevitable that the nature of our language changes as a result. Indeed, the globalisation of English as the pre-eminent lanuage of choice has also undoubtedly affected the nature of the language.

It is also important to point out that this is not a recent occurance; language - like life - has always evolved...

Take it away, Chaucer...

'Ye knowe eek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden prys, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do;
Eek for to winne love in sondry ages,
In sondry londes, sondry been usages.'

(Excerpt from Book 2 of Troilus and Criseyde)

Ushgarak
Yup, absolutely no grammatical problem in VVD's post there. 'Funnily enough', both words being used as adverbs, is an adverbial phrase; that adverbial phrase is being used to modify the previous clause: "Neither do I".

To quote Crystal directly:

"Adverbials perform diverse roles in sentence construction. Some add information about an event; some link clauses together; and some add a comment about what is being expressed."

Other examples of often used adverbial phrases include 'terribly slowly' and 'very quickly indeed', or even 'quite soon'.

Whob's error was twofold- first in assuming 'enough' was an adjective when it was not, and then again in assuming that those two words in the second clause had to refer to each other, when in fact they were both referring to the previous clause.

Not the first time you have been wrong about English, whob, and yes, I am an English teacher, and yes, you can try and claim that my English is no good until the cows come home, but the fact is that it is always you that is in error and this thread is just proof of that again

As for the thread title- you need to look at what grammar and spelling are actually FOR. They have a purpose. If they are not being well observed in some areas, you should probably look for causes as to why those purposes are being eroded.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I am an English teacher

"Hello, Darkness, my old friend..."

It would appear that we have a common profession.

Your thoughts on the ol' linguistic prescriptivism - descriptivism chesnut...

Ushgarak
Language is the only true democracy (with the exception of French), but never have I seen a democracy more resented. Everyone talks happily about how organic and adaptable the English language is, but then you point them in the direction of where that logic leads- say, text speech- and the average middle-class house owner runs a mile.

You can't ever really make English prescriptive, but people will eventually have to accept the entire logic of that.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
you can try and claim that my English is no good

I'll accept this only because we are indulging in a literal conversation. I'm referring to the 'no good' part. Ironic? Yes, but was it intentional? Bygones? OK, but can we really call it an idiom? 'Semantics'...agreed. Let's stop this nonsense.

Capt_Fantastic
Language is the only true democracy (with the exception of French), but never have I seen a democracy more resented. Everyone talks happily about how organic and adaptable the English language is, but then you point them in the direction of where that logic leads- say, text speech- and the average middle-class house owner runs a mile.

You can't ever really make English prescriptive, but people will eventually have to accept the entire logic of that,

John 3:16

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Are you saying that what he said is gospel, or are you saying that Plato did the right thing by coming up with all that bollox in the first place?

whobdamandog
Yup, absolutely no grammatical problem in VVD's post there. 'Funnily enough', both words being used as adverbs, is an adverbial phrase; that adverbial phrase is being used to modify the previous clause: "Neither do I".

To quote Crystal directly:

"Adverbials perform diverse roles in sentence construction. Some add information about an event; some link clauses together; and some add a comment about what is being expressed."

Other examples of often used adverbial phrases include 'terribly slowly' and 'very quickly indeed', or even 'quite soon'.

Whob's error was twofold- first in assuming 'enough' was an adjective when it was not, and then again in assuming that those two words in the second clause had to refer to each other, when in fact they were both referring to the previous clause.

Not the first time you have been wrong about English, whob, and yes, I am an English teacher, and yes, you can try and claim that my English is no good until the cows come home, but the fact is that it is always you that is in error and this thread is just proof of that again

As for the thread title- you need to look at what grammar and spelling are actually FOR. They have a purpose. If they are not being well observed in some areas, you should probably look for causes as to why those purposes are being eroded.

Is that a valid satirical refutation Ush?

Ya Flunk'd the irony of your posts illude me..

lol

Fin

botankus
I agree with BF's earlier comment that this "is a movie message board, not an English class."

However, the saying "Like it or not, people judge you by the words you use" is very real in today's society.

Jury
How about REDUNDANCIES? Aren't you conscious about those expressions?

e.g
business transaction
free gift
bad omen
month of December
green in color
rectangular in shape
spin around
ascended up
repeat again

...etc.

These expressions are commonly used, can be expected from any speeches, but they are technically wrong.

botankus
Does the following count as a spelling, grammer, or punctuation error? Or are they just plain-ass lazy?

"OMG ur prolly da worse spellr u no ur da worse 1 ic."

Jury
I would charge it as "Chatting Convenience".

KharmaDog
Interesting thread, more interesting is that Whob was schooled by at least three individuals as to why he was mistaken and yet would not concede the point.

When you have been so glaringly proved mistaken, why not just admit to the mistake? That debate should have ended pages ago.

Jury
Any comments about redundancies? Are we to accept redundant expressions just because they are widely accepted and commonly used?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jury
Any comments about redundancies? Are we to accept redundant expressions just because they are widely accepted and commonly used?

Isn't asking for comments about redundancies after only making the post about redundancies 3 or 4 posts ago a little redundant itself?

Jury
Isn't asking for comments about redundancies after only making the post about redundancies 3 or 4 posts ago a little redundant itself? I appreciate the comment. Thank you.

whobdamandog
Interesting thread, more interesting is that Whob was schooled by at least three individuals as to why he was mistaken and yet would not concede the point.

When you have been so glaringly proved mistaken, why not just admit to the mistake? That debate should have ended pages ago.

Very rarely am I wrong about anything. Even Captain Fantastic illuded to this in another thread. Perhaps it has something to do with Creationalism and Creationalists..or perhaps it has something to do with birds evolving from dinosaurs, whatever the case may be, it was truly a valid satirical refutation. wink

Fin

KharmaDog
Very rarely am I wrong about anything. Even Captain Fantastic illuded to this in another thread. Perhaps it has something to do with Creationalism and Creationalists..or perhaps it has something to do with birds evolving from dinosaurs, whatever the case may be, it was truly a valid satirical refutation. wink

Fin

I think that you have confused 'never being wrong' with 'the inability to admit when you are wrong'. But, whatever gets you through the day...

botankus
Isn't asking for comments about redundancies after only making the post about redundancies 3 or 4 posts ago a little redundant itself?
laughing out loud Beat me to it, KD.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by botankus
laughing out loud Beat me to it, KD.

You're a little slow on the draw today botankus. Feeling under the weather?

botankus
Sorry, I was reviewing the BS thread in the other forum and it got past me.

Victor Von Doom

Not the first time you have been wrong about English, whob, and yes, I am an English teacher

Nice. What exactly do you teach?

Indeed- would you like to volunteer anything?

Victor Von Doom
I also find poor grammar, spelling and punctuation lamentable, but perhaps we are engaged in a battle of futility? Modern man has developed so many technological advancements in the area of communication, that perhaps it is inevitable that the nature of our language changes as a result. Indeed, the globalisation of English as the pre-eminent lanuage of choice has also undoubtedly affected the nature of the language.

It is also important to point out that this is not a recent occurance; language - like life - has always evolved...

Take it away, Chaucer...

'Ye knowe eek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden prys, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do;
Eek for to winne love in sondry ages,
In sondry londes, sondry been usages.'

(Excerpt from Book 2 of Troilus and Criseyde)

Sure. Check out the 'Oxen of the Sun' episode of Ulysses as proof.

I'm not quite sure the phenomenon of which I speak is an evolution though. I think there are deep-rooted problems involved.

PVS
wow! whob got squashed again?

maybe he should start declaring himself the winner and flood the thread with 'owned' pics and smilies again. eek!

KharmaDog
Not the first time you have been wrong about English, whob, and yes, I am an English teacher

Nice. What exactly do you teach?

Well VVD, I would hazard to guess that he teaches English. wink

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by PVS

maybe he should start declaring himself the winner and flood the thread with 'owned' pics and smilies again. eek!

I'd hope not.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS

Don't forget the group think reference. Always gotta have the group think reference.

whobdamandog
A man can generally measure his ability and overall influence over others..by the amount of people who gather against him. wink

KharmaDog
A man can generally measure his ability and overall influence over others..by the amount of people who gather against him. wink

That sounds like someone who is trying to look on the bright side of life.

Your ability may be poor and your influence negative. Then again we could just be bored and mildly entertain by some of your more feeble personality traits. But once again, whatever gets you through the night big guy.

FIN

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ya Flunk'd the irony of your posts illude me..

Hot knife. Butter. Through.

Youdaman!

VVD, I know what you mean, and I share the same concerns, but perhaps it is because we ain't hip and cool anymore...

'Oxen of the Sun' - and 'Ulysses' as a whole - is an incredible piece of literature. The pertinence of your reference is exceptional, but if you acknowledge the stylistic diversity of language over time periods; what are you complaining about? Maybe the current phase of Language bestiality is merely the stepping-stone towards something more aesthetic?

Who am I kidding? All those mofo lols, lmaos, urs, etc. make me sick. The users should be placed in a physical manifestation of 'The Divine Comedy's Inferno', Canto VI to be precise.

debbiejo
You what bugs me........It's when people don't use commas. .....It can change the whole meaning of what is said..

PVS
thats really bugs me as well when people dont use commas when typing a really long sentence because however it may seem superficial for short posts it can make wordy lengthy sentences difficult to read.

stick out tongue

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
thats really bugs me as well when people dont use commas when typing a really long sentence because however it may seem superficial for short posts it can make wordy lengthy sentences difficult to read.

stick out tongue Commas bug me worse than not using apostrophes.. stick out tongue ....But that bugs me too....but not really.

That's why I use lots of dots..... cool Those help separate my sentences also...for the handicapped.

commas commas commas, what so difficult in not using commas?

botankus
Commas bug me worse than not using apostrophes.. stick out tongue ....But that bugs me too....

That's why I use lots of dots..... cool Those help separate my sentences also...for the handicapped.

People who connect their thoughts with several dots, I hate them with a passion.

debbiejo
People who connect their thoughts with several dots, I hate them with a passion. You hate me..cry

botankus
If only you connected your thoughts with dollar signs$$$$like this$$$$you would finally be cool$$$$word

Victor Von Doom
Hot knife. Butter. Through.

Youdaman!

VVD, I know what you mean, and I share the same concerns, but perhaps it is because we ain't hip and cool anymore...

'Oxen of the Sun' - and 'Ulysses' as a whole - is an incredible piece of literature. The pertinence of your reference is exceptional, but if you acknowledge the stylistic diversity of language over time periods; what are you complaining about? Maybe the current phase of Language bestiality is merely the stepping-stone towards something more aesthetic?

Who am I kidding? All those mofo lols, lmaos, urs, etc. make me sick. The users should be placed in a physical manifestation of 'The Divine Comedy's Inferno', Canto VI to be precise.

I'm not really referring to 'txtspeak'. Didn't Prince invent that in the 80s anyway?

I don't really think the lack of ability in communicating that is prevalent today can be deemed 'stylistic diversity'- that would be giving credit where it isn't due.

It's disingenuous to pretend otherwise than that a huge amount of people today simply cannot write properly, and in using the term 'properly' I do not mean precise, formal English.

The crux of what I am saying is this. Why- in all walks of life where writing is required- does it feel genuinely novel when someone can write without silly errors?

debbiejo
If only you connected your thoughts with dollar signs$$$$like this$$$$you would finally be cool$$$$word

But I'm already cool

Dots are cool!.........see.....?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Perhaps it is indicative of a global society that places an emphasis on making money, rather than the way in which you make money? Do you see the parallel?

Victor Von Doom
Perhaps it is indicative of a global society that places an emphasis on making money, rather than the way in which you make money? Do you see the parallel?

Are you replying to me, or Ms alternative topic?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The mad woman loves to run around screaming nonsense, but I try not to indulge her. So, yes...YOU.

PVS
well, out of sheer laziness i rarely use apostrophes, never capitalize, and often forget punctuation

deal with it. stick out tongue

Victor Von Doom
The mad woman loves to run around screaming nonsense, but I try not to indulge her. So, yes...YOU.

Quite possibly.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by PVS
well, out of sheer laziness i rarely use apostrophes, never capitalize, and often forget punctuation

deal with it. stick out tongue

That's the problem. I don't think it is usually laziness (I don't mean in your case).

That's just a convenient short-circuiting of more troubling problems.

Fëanor
Originally posted by PVS

deal with it. stick out tongue ha somedays i hardly ever use any punctuations whatsover as im too much in a rush that or i just dont care

botankus
But I'm already cool

Dots are cool!.........see.....?

Die!$$$$$$Death to the Dots$$$$cool$$$$

debbiejo
Die!$$$$$$Death to the Dots$$$$cool$$$$ How come you never mentioned this problem of yours before.........you know, like before....when I used dots.....ya know? laughing out loud

At least I don't say

Fin

or -AC

Or such things.

botankus
How come you never mentioned this problem of yours before.........you know, like before....when I used dots.....ya know? laughing out loud

Actually, I think the dots are great. Just trying to be difficult here. Sometimes I really have to reach for insults.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>