Ben vs Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Decay
does anyone think george lucas will, or should add in some new footage of these two fighting on the death star. he can keep all the scenes that are in now and add someone in the vader suit and someone with bens face digitally added like dookus was. i hadnt thought about it at all but my brother said after skrewing around with them this its only a matter of time until he does it again, and after ep 3 it looks so much worse by comparison. especially seeing vader fighting in the next 2. i dont know if he should or not, id kind of like to see it just to see it, but im not sure how it would work. alot of purists would hate it but i think it would fit in more than it does now.

beedubaya
I think the first half of the duel is fine actually. The second half, like the part when luke walks in and sees them fighting, is the part that needs redone, if any. Why is this duel so bad anyway in comparison to all other 5 star wars movies?

overlord
He can't possibly change it.

But I would like to see Vader fight some jedi in the television series though if just to teach those morons who think that PT jedi> OT Vader.

SpyCspider
Originally posted by beedubaya
Why is this duel so bad anyway in comparison to all other 5 star wars movies?

cuz both Vader and Ben were a bunch of old farts still playing with light swords

Ok, seriously, here's my interpretation and it makes me feel better about it. Both of them are so skilled in the ways of the Force that they do not need to go into crazy acrobatics. It's more of a stalemate...with each testing each other out, rather than an all-out brawl. They're both concentrating on probing each other's minds and seeing who would back down....letting the Force guide them as opposed to their muscles. Besides, Vader remembered what happened last time he went flipping about--Ben cut his legs off. It was more of a mental battle between the former apprentice and former master.

Another reason? 1970s fight choreagraphy. I don't think they were supposed to act like martial artists, these Jedi. Hollywood has just seen Bruce Lee do some kickass kungfu, but this was Star Wars..not Enter the Dragon or whatever.

Leave the OT alone.

Darth243
Im all for the OT being revamped, its going to lose its appeal and appear retro in the near future

JKozzy
Originally posted by beedubaya
Why is this duel so bad anyway in comparison to all other 5 star wars movies? Because it's the oldest movie... how does that not make sense?

beedubaya
Originally posted by JKozzy
Because it's the oldest movie... how does that not make sense?

3 years later in Empire Strikes Back, they were able to have an awesome duel, why not in ANH? Thats what I was asking.

Decay
in anh it was michael prowse fighting in the vader suit, after that it was a professional fencer. also if you watch the extras on the original trilogy dvd lucas originally intended sabers to be very hard to weild because of the amount of energy in them. thats why their always held two handed.

i wouldnt want to see any acrobatics or anything like that, just maybe some rotj quality dueling for a few seconds.

Echuu
Originally posted by Decay
does anyone think george lucas will, or should add in some new footage of these two fighting on the death star. he can keep all the scenes that are in now and add someone in the vader suit and someone with bens face digitally added like dookus was. i hadnt thought about it at all but my brother said after skrewing around with them this its only a matter of time until he does it again, and after ep 3 it looks so much worse by comparison. especially seeing vader fighting in the next 2. i dont know if he should or not, id kind of like to see it just to see it, but im not sure how it would work. alot of purists would hate it but i think it would fit in more than it does now.

No I would prefer if he didn't change the fight scene.

truejedi
Originally posted by SpyCspider
cuz both Vader and Ben were a bunch of old farts still playing with light swords

Ok, seriously, here's my interpretation and it makes me feel better about it. Both of them are so skilled in the ways of the Force that they do not need to go into crazy acrobatics. It's more of a stalemate...with each testing each other out, rather than an all-out brawl. They're both concentrating on probing each other's minds and seeing who would back down....letting the Force guide them as opposed to their muscles. Besides, Vader remembered what happened last time he went flipping about--Ben cut his legs off. It was more of a mental battle between the former apprentice and former master.

Leave the OT alone.

I love that explanation. The best i've heard. Elevates ben and vader instead of making them look bad. I think i'll believe that!

jollyjim311
Originally posted by overlord
He can't possibly change it.

But I would like to see Vader fight some jedi in the television series though if just to teach those morons who think that PT jedi> OT Vader.

Really, pisses me off too. At least in Dark Lord he kills a Jedi. You should get it.

Also, the fact that Christopher Lee is flipping around but not Ben who is older makes the movies pretty inconstant...
I like SpyCspiders explenation too, I always belived something along those lines.

Dirk Jade
Originally posted by Decay
in anh it was michael prowse fighting in the vader suit, after that it was a professional fencer. also if you watch the extras on the original trilogy dvd lucas originally intended sabers to be very hard to weild because of the amount of energy in them. thats why their always held two handed.

i wouldnt want to see any acrobatics or anything like that, just maybe some rotj quality dueling for a few seconds.

I thought it was the choreografer that stepped in for the duels in the Darth Vader suite because Micheal Prowse kept breaking the flourescant tubes. Thats what i saw on the History Channel. and it was only for the duels cause Micheal Prowse signed a contract for 3 movies.

overlord
Originally posted by jollyjim311
Really, pisses me off too. At least in Dark Lord he kills a Jedi. You should get it.

Also, the fact that Christopher Lee is flipping around but not Ben who is older makes the movies pretty inconstant...
I like SpyCspiders explenation too, I always belived something along those lines. Yeah, I know. The movies just aren't easily comparible. But to just say they suddenly went extremely bad because of the boring duelling in ANH just defies basic logic.

Ushgarak
I never found it boring. The ANH duel is very technically competent, in fact. A good pair off between old veterans.

overlord
Meh.. I was just speaking to the CGI peoples mind so they can view my other points more unbiasedly perhaps. I actually don't think it's boring because that movie doesn't even focus on sword fights anyway. It was an appropriate fight actually..

redcaped
He says they're both old. Well, how about Palpatine, Yoda, and Dooku? In episode 3 Anakin has his mecha arm and his moves are ultra-fast. What's the difference having both arms and legs. Lucas please do not run away.

beedubaya
Originally posted by overlord
Meh.. I was just speaking to the CGI peoples mind so they can view my other points more unbiasedly perhaps. I actually don't think it's boring because that movie doesn't even focus on sword fights anyway. It was an appropriate fight actually..

True, unlike the other 5 star wars movies, the focus of ANH is on the rebellion and the oppression of the empire. It is the only movie in which the Jedi/Sith and lightsaber fights are not the main focus. This is how it should be, being as ANH takes place in a time when the Jedi have no power in the galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.