Who do you think is the Marvel Batman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Etrigan
Who do you think is the equivalent of the Dark Knight in the MU?
I would say probably either Black Panther or Daredevil. Black Panther mainly because he's got the same kind of costume, fighting skills, etc.

What do you think?

Bushwacker
I thought Nighthawk from Squadron Supreme was Marvel's Batman.

olympian
Moon Knight if we are talking mainstream Marvel universe.

BetaRayBill
Moonknight

Silverstein
i would say Iron Man only because he owns a company as well, and uses his companies gadgets.

Doc Ock
Definitely MoonKnight.

Capt_Fantastic
Daredevil

Scarecrow756
I would have to say Daredevil.

roughrider
There is no one-to-one comparison at Marvel. Aspects of Batman's image & personality are spread over a half-dozen characters at least. Superficially, Moon Knight is the closest, but isn't obsessive and is closer to The Shadow. Black Panther? Don't see that - that costume is cultural in his country, he has no secret identity etc. Nighthawk IS Batman, but in a different reality. Closest is Daredevil and Punisher; Frank Castle is what Batman would be if he was willing to kill criminals, and Punisher uses the most tech, but it's real-world stuff.

Bardock42
Moonknight seems pretty Batman to me. So do Black Panther and Daredevil though.

Zarathustra
I always thought of Daredevil as the poor man's Batman. Or, rather, a poor man who was Batman.
But there are certainly similarities between Batman and a long list of heroes... he is one of the original superheroes, after all. He's bound to be pretty influential, which is why a number of Marvel heroes share his basic origin story.

roughrider
Few if any share the same origin story as Batman. And he himself is a melding of Zorro and The Shadow, plus visual ideas from Leonardo Da Vinci and a movie serial character called "The Bat." But being one of the earliest comic book heroes - along with Superman, Captain America, and Namor - means you set a kind of archetype profile others cannot help but find some aspects of. Just as Superman inspired many a super-powered strongman hero to follow after him.

DrDoom101
Black Panther, Daredevil, or Moonknight

Jose123
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I always thought of Daredevil as the poor man's Batman. Or, rather, a poor man who was Batman.
But there are certainly similarities between Batman and a long list of heroes... he is one of the original superheroes, after all. He's bound to be pretty influential, which is why a number of Marvel heroes share his basic origin story.

YEP Daredevil is the poor mans Batman
Thats if you ignore the fact that they got nothing in common except for being urban superheros
You might as well call Spider-man a poor mans Batman laughing

Lord Magnus
Not so much Panther, probably Moon Knight. Don't mess with Moon Knight.

Mr Parker
yeah got to go with moonknight.

Darth Jello
Daredevil is definitely batman. which is kinda why Bullseye often resembles the joker in personality and arsenal.
The only difference is that Daredevil doesn't uses as many gadgets, is a much better fighter, and is much less psychologically stable. oh, and he's a totaly player.

Etrigan
I can tell you now, Batman is a better fighter than DD.
It's my opinion... but I'm pretty sure most will go with me on that one.

And DD is much less psychologically stable indeed. He's gone mad at least three times that I can remember. Bats hasn't ever gone mad, I don't think...

tpaquin
Marvel versus DC did an interesting thing and fused characters from the two worlds together.

We of course had Captain America and Superman, and batman was fused with Wolverine.

When you look at wolverine's x-men mentality and compare it to batman's JLA outlook, they are similar.

Jade Chihuahua
Originally posted by tpaquin
Marvel versus DC did an interesting thing and fused characters from the two worlds together.

We of course had Captain America and Superman, and batman was fused with Wolverine.

When you look at wolverine's x-men mentality and compare it to batman's JLA outlook, they are similar.
The Amalgam series...I think Wolverine/Batman was called Darkclaw and his sidekick was Jubilee/Robin, a.k.a. Sparrow.
They also had Iron Lantern, (If Tony Stark had a Green Lantern ring)

xkalybr
Moonknight and Daredevil seem the closets match.

Knightfall93
Daredevil cant match Bats really. And I'm no marvel xpert... so who the hell is Moon Knight?

the Darkone
Black Panther and Moonknight

Knightfall93
Who the f**k is Moony?

Etrigan
Moon Knight is a Marvel hero who knows a lot of martial arts, has a lot of cooln weponry and gadgets, and gains super powers whenever there is a full moon.

He's pretty cool.

Knightfall93
Doesnt sound v. Batman- ish with the moon thing

wuTa
Originally posted by roughrider
There is no one-to-one comparison at Marvel. Aspects of Batman's image & personality are spread over a half-dozen characters at least. Superficially, Moon Knight is the closest, but isn't obsessive and is closer to The Shadow. Black Panther? Don't see that - that costume is cultural in his country, he has no secret identity etc. Nighthawk IS Batman, but in a different reality. Closest is Daredevil and Punisher; Frank Castle is what Batman would be if he was willing to kill criminals, and Punisher uses the most tech, but it's real-world stuff.

punisher is a ghetto version of batman

Knightfall93
Yeah, Punisher is close to Bats but hes a real mix. I agree with roughrider, he's in loads of heroes from Marvel, which makes him the BEST

ScarletSpider
Found this thread while messing around on Google.

While Moon Knight comes off as a Batman parody, I'd argue that he's quite a bit different, his modus operandi may be somewhat similar, but Doug Moench who created and wrote the initial appearances for Moon Knight, and then the first couple dozen issues of his first series, definately had a different vision for the character.

Anyways, HellMaster93, Moon Knight is one of my favorite characters, he first appeared in Werewolf By Night 32 and 33 as a mercenary clad in all silver--all the better to take out a werewolf, right? Popular demand led him to appear in Marvel Premiere, Spectacular Spider-Man and Marvel Two-In-One. For awhile he had faint super-powers, being a little bit stronger at night, and that strength waxing and waning with the phases of the moon. Eventually, Moench wrote it out.

Once he debuted in his own series, it was written that Marc Spector was a mercenary (a master in all the martial arts, former CIA, former heavyweight boxer, former marine, arms expert, etc.). He'd had a disagreement with his boss and later archenemy Raoul Bushman in Egypt when Bushman killed an archaeologist, Dr. Alruane. Marc and Bushman got in a fight and Bushman got the better of him and killed him at the foot of a statue of the Egyptian deity Khonshu. Dr. Alruane's daughter, Marlene wept for him and miraculously he was revived, in his stupor he thought Khonshu had done it (which depending on the writer, the character takes a more mystic turn, some play him as a straight vigilante and slight schizophrenic).

Once in New York, Marc set up two new identities, Jake Lockely a streetsmart cabbie who could get any dirt he needed and Steven Grant a playboy millionaire. This is where the Batman comparisons begin, matching Lockely to Matches Malone and Grant to Bruce Wayne. However, he also kept his original identity of Marc Spector in rotation if he needed any of Marc's contacts in the CIA and mercenary world.

Moon Knight also drew comparisons to Batman because of his gimmicks. He had "crescent darts" like Batman has "batarangs." His crescent darts were Moon crescent shaped blades that he could throw. He also weilded a truncheon which could launch a grappling hook/cable line and turn into a nunchaku. He also had, similar to the Shadow, a system of operatives and informants, making friends with the verbose and intelligent hobo Crawley, Gena a single-mother who owned and operated her own diner and Gena's two high-school kids, who would go and round up dirt for Lockely. Grant has his butler Samuels and best friend/pilot (of his helicopter and other vehicles) Frenchie. He rescued Marlene Alruane from Bushman in egypt and the two became lovers, she lived with him in Grant's mansion.

There are some parallels, but he became very much his own character. Recently they released a Moon Knight essentials, I picked up a copy and all the old material has held up beautifully, it's still a great read. He also has a new series out too, issue 3 should be out soon and it shouldn't be too hard to find the first couple issues as well.

HellMaster93
Woah... thanks, SS!

Scarlet_Spidey
Yeah ... but it's still moonknight though ! smile

HellMaster93
Bats also makes me think a combination of Iron Man and DD...

ScarletSpider
Perhaps, Scarlet Spidey.

Check out Moon Knight 3, just came out this past Wednesday, lots of story advancement, and a cool mini-action scene. Spector doesn't mess around.

That's another difference. Spector notoriously mishandles his secret identity. The Committee from his first appearance had him on file, so anyone with enough money could figure it out, and if it meant saving a life, he didn't really care who found out.

Issue 4 should feature a sweet fight with Taskmaster.

HellMaster93
Hmm...he recently appeared in Mighty world of Marvel...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.