December/January Debate: Has JK set herslef up for a fall?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RoguePw25
So let's get started!

Now personally, I'm thinking that there will be little payoff. My first problem with Book 6 is that it was slightly predictable. When JK killed off Sirius, I saw what she was thinking in the sense that she had to kill off people who were close to Harry and would ultimately help him defeat Voldey, I suspected that Dumbledore would be next, but I think his death was too forced. He died with too many unanswered questions for me.

Darth Zannah
Perhaps those questions will be answered in the last book, and she left them unanswered so people would come back for the last book.

Princess Lyla
Well I guess that's obvious but for me I wouldn't be disappointed if Snape was good or bad...however I would be very disapointed if Harry was to die with Voldemort...such a Matrix-like ending would be a serious turn off.

JesuseyGoodness
I disagree with the person who made this idea. There is indeed a third option. Snape could be neutral, he could also commit suicide. Here's what I think will happen.

Snape, after killing Dumbledore, will realize his mistake, and will kill Luciuos malfoy, and other Death Eaters. He once again realizes his life is in danger, and knows not what to do anymore, Henceforth, Snape will avada Kedavra himself, and die. The end...of Snape at least.

Saratn
an interesting way to end a git's life.

Makae
I think that Snape is neutral anyway. But I don't think that he'll get all sappy and kill himself. I think that he's just doing what he's always done, doing what's good for him and him only.

The Omega
If Snape is really evil (after all)... Rowling will be disappointing me!
Too easy!
Now, I've re-read Goblet of Fire lately - and Voldemart has an interesting comment in regards to the Death-Eaters - namely that one, Voldemort assumes, is lost forever. Counting what what Death-eater is, and is doing, this can ONLY be Snape. And also... What is it that Dumbledore asks Snape to do when Harry returns to Hogwarts after seeing Voldemort return?

Now - combine this with the OATH that Snape takes at the beginning of Half-blood prince to help Draco. And Dumbledores "please", just before Snape kills him... (because Draco can't)...

Nope - I think the good Rowling has a surprise in store for us.

HPotterPlus
i don't think dumbeldors really dead. because in the book it said that harry could have sworen that it looked like he was just in a deep sleep. and remember dumbeldore has powers like voldemort but is just to brave and noble to use them. well i think dumboledore has horecruxes to. i think at the fenural he apperated out of the coffen into hiding. and i know who R.A.B. is.

HPotterPlus
i think that for the 7th book at least every HP fan that wants to can submeit there story of thr 7th HP to Jk. and she could take like some of what fans whnat to happen to harry and what she whants and combind them together. i mean it is like that last book. are we just going to sit here and .......ect

HPotterPlus
R.A.B is Sirius Brother. remember that he did not whant to be apart of the death eaters any more so he like quit. well his name is regulaus black. don't know the middle nae but who cares.

Makae
JK already knows what she wants to do for the seventh book. She wrote out the whole story line for all seven book when she wrote the first one. And Dumbledore would never, and I repete NEVER make a Horecrux.

JesuseyGoodness
Originally posted by HPotterPlus
R.A.B is Sirius Brother. remember that he did not whant to be apart of the death eaters any more so he like quit. well his name is regulaus black. don't know the middle nae but who cares.
You think as if your the first person to state this. More like the 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001S
t

Imperial_Samura
It's hard to say till the final book arrives. I will admit that the sixth book is not my favorite, and I don't think it was quite as good as the other books, it felt like a bridging peice, intended to bring everyone up to date and say "so this is why this is happening", or at least it did to me.

That said, I think JK should still be able to pull of the last book, which I think will be the most important in the series. It is the conclusion, the aone where it's all got to be wrapped up., and my biggest concern really is how it will do this. It seems like there is so much to be done - resolve romance question, track down and destroy the horcruxs, kill Voldermort, resolve the Snape issue convincingly and all that, and I wonder how she will pull it off, with the way the characters were in the last book. The biggest risk I see is some maher resorting

Imperial_Samura
It's hard to say till the final book arrives. I will admit that the sixth book is not my favorite, and I don't think it was quite as good as the other books, it felt like a bridging piece, intended to bring everyone up to date and say "so this is why this is happening", or at least it did to me.

That said, I think JK should still be able to pull of the last book, which I think will be the most important in the series. It is the conclusion, the one where it's all got to be wrapped up, plot questions answered, story archs resolved all the while delivering a story in line with the mythos that exists in the Potter literary universe. My biggest concern really is how it will do this. It seems like there is so much to be done - resolve romance questions, track down and destroy the horcruxs, kill Voldermort, resolve the Snape issue convincingly and all that, and I wonder how she will pull it off, with the way the characters were in the last book. The biggest risk I see is some her resorting to some manner of deus ex machina, or some plot device (good work Harry, your use of the never before heard of super time turner and secret love spell has destroyed Voldermort before he even existed, so now everyone is happy, lets go have some Pumpkin juice.)

Likewise another concern for me is if the integral social aspect of Harry's interaction between his friends was let slip to the side to make way for non-stop action. Sure, there will be fire works, but I think it would be a mistake for the book to become some pure action adventure at the cost of aspects that made the earlier books successful. It's not all about duels and hair razing escapes is it? More then that there is.

As to Snape, I don't think he is working for Voldermort, which means he killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's orders, or some third option. I always liked the Snape character, and would like it to retain some measure of complexity. Who knows, maybe it would be cool if it turned out Snape actually betrayed everyone, that he was manipulating them all, he uses Harry to kill Voldermort (as only Harry can) and then takes the title of Dark Lord himself, after all, with Dumbledore gone, who could stop him? Still, probably a bit dark for a conclusion to the series.

Makae
I like the idea of Snape betraying everyone. It's very interesting.

exanda kane
I like it too. Too dark, and i cant see how Rowling would ever be able to succesfully do it but it's a thought.

rique28
I still have to read book six, but from what I have read so far there is only two sides. You're for or against Voldermort. So Snapes either has to be on the Order's side or Voldermorts.

As for the last book, I am sure many of the Harry Potter fans will not like it. An Author harly ever takes advice from the fans when writing the story. It is not our story to tell the author how we want it to come out, it is for her to decide and I believe something things are going to make hardcore fans not happy.

Well that's my thoughts, maybe some of them will change after I read the sixth book.

Tim

P.S. I alreadyknew about Snape before posting, I asked a friend to tell me who dies. I am still going to read the book anyways.

dagurlhoolived
i dont think jk will answer all questions and tie up all loose ends. like many great authors, to their readers anguish, she may just leave the books to be analyzed for all eternity

sammii
jk knew the 7th wud be da ;last so mabe shes left all the lose ends untied on purpose 2 make it the best n it all ties 2 geva wiv snape like 2 statements from above ... i think he,ll realise whwt he,s dun kil the death eaters n help harry b4 dyin himself but dnt 4get when he killed dd he made the vow 2 dracos mum so therefore it had 2 be him or dumby dat died he obviously chose dd ...wich means hes not actually dun dat much wrong xcept b selfish.......

Dark_Psylocke
Yeah, I get the same impression too. And I must admit that for me, that'd be quite a disappointment. I mean, what is it going to be about, having everyone come back from the grave? Honestly, imo, if Dumbledore's not dead, not only will it be quite predictable, but it'll ruin the feeling of loss... and of course, of Dumbledore can defeat death, I wouldn't be too surprised if Harry beats Voldemort only with his help- not by himself.

sammii
yeh i agree hes ded just let it be

melinda_warren
she no's what shes doing. you are her loyal fans. how can you doubt her?

sammii
exactly know 1 truly knows what shes got planned shes not stupid im sure she knows exactly what shes doing xx

charleestokie
Personally, I think it would be a terrible shame for J.K to make the last book predictable. But then on the other hand, it would also contribute much to my annoyance if she were to leave the loose ends for us all to guess for 20 years - at which point she'll give in to public demand and write the *gasps* 8th book. We'll all find out the secrets, won't live up to expectation, we'll all be duly gutted.

I'm just not that easy to please, let's hope she pulls it off again then...

Black&&White
Originally posted by exanda kane
I like it too. Too dark, and i cant see how Rowling would ever be able to succesfully do it but it's a thought.

On the contrary, I think Jo would be quite capable. The thought itself, though, is not at all her style and I'd expect Jo would give Snape a method to his madness the same way she did Voldemort; give him a reason to tick. We've only begun to learn of Snape's past, though, it is quite obvious it was a dark, lonely one.

Makae
Yeah. She has to tell us about Snape's past in the next book.

Gojiita
Don't forget what Dumbledore said to Draco about being able to hide him and his parents in ways that they could not imagine maybe a faked death is one of those ways. Perhaps he felt the only way to get harry to truly accept his destiny was to fake his death and maybe in a final duel dumbledore will show up at a crucial moment to aid Harry. If this is the case, and it is probably as far from accurate as possible, then Snape would have been loyal all along.
And personally I thought the 6th book was the best so far but is just my opinion.

Aaaaarrrggh I hate being kept in suspense I need the next book now!

babysooner13
This is what...

sammii
i think jk knows exactly what shes doin !!!

Ushgarak
Originally posted by The Omega
If Snape is really evil (after all)... Rowling will be disappointing me!
Too easy!
Now, I've re-read Goblet of Fire lately - and Voldemart has an interesting comment in regards to the Death-Eaters - namely that one, Voldemort assumes, is lost forever. Counting what what Death-eater is, and is doing, this can ONLY be Snape. And also... What is it that Dumbledore asks Snape to do when Harry returns to Hogwarts after seeing Voldemort return?

Now - combine this with the OATH that Snape takes at the beginning of Half-blood prince to help Draco. And Dumbledores "please", just before Snape kills him... (because Draco can't)...

Nope - I think the good Rowling has a surprise in store for us.

Geez, Omega, that's a little beneath you.

Such possibilities have been aruged and counter-argued to death so much that it is in fact Snape being good that is now 'too easy' and not even vaguely a surrpise. The twist would be if he IS evil, now. That's how far it has gotten.

This was in fact the entire point of my proposal for this argument; simply stating one of the already extremely obvious and not at all surprising possibilities does not alter what I said.

The third option is that Snape is neutral? Please. By killing DD he is either declaring for the bad guys or following the plan of the good.

Snape is either good or evil. Two options. Rowling has cancelled down everything to this central question now, and I still cannot see any possible way that she concludes this plot without it being a disappointment. Either he's good, which is such a painfully obvious development as to be of no value at all, or he's evil, in which case it will just simply upset people, who seem to be desperate to view Snape as a good guy. Either option will also upset the proponents of the other.

There has been no proposed twist or possible resolution that will really effectively tie this issue up, so unless you have unwavering faith in the possible genius of Rowling... then this build up is simply not going to pay off.

I really think it wasn't a good idea- it made a good ending to book 6 but buggers up possible drama for book 7.

It rumbles on from there, Dumbledore's dead? He seemed to get a poor send off. He's actually alive? Could he be any more of a shameless Gandalf copy?

Can anyone think of a way of Harry winning that will not seem a disappointing cliche? Heroic victory, sacrificial victory, it's all been panned out and analysed since book 3. Dare Rowling have him lose? If done in a dramatic way, that would maintain dramatic momentum by wrenching the viewer as she has done in books before. Somehow I doubt she will try.

I think Rowling has already blown all the biggest drama. It leaves book 7 with little left to do other than wrap up several storylines that have no real life left inside them- 6 exposed them all.

I seriously cannot see 7 holding any surprises for me.

-

The singular exception is RAB. But if it ig guessable at all, then who doubts it has already been exposed?

And if it's not guessable, then it's not much of a surprise, it's just a... thing.

Captain REX
RAB = Regulus A. Black? *shrug* stick out tongue

Lana
Originally posted by Captain REX
RAB = Regulus A. Black? *shrug* stick out tongue

That's been the rumor since the book came out. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I read HBP.

And I really must say I think that Snape is truly on Voldemort's side. While it would be like Dumbledore to have had that all planned and such and having Snape be a double-double crosser.....I really don't believe it.

I dunno, though. Either book 7 is going to be really good, or a mass disappointment - I don't see much way for it to fall in between.

Knightfall93
I think she has somethinmg planned that willl surprise us all... but I don't know what... he's already realoised he loves Ginny, Ron/ Hermione, DD's dead...
She has a surprise in store for us but I knew as soon as I finished that book, the day after it was realeased (it took 25 hrs with breaks etc) that RAB was Regulus Black... or is he? Is there a twist that EVERYONE has overlooked? A small detail, somewhere, that will in fact be the entire basis of an ultimate twist?

Knightfall93
There MUST be a twist about the DD/ Voldemort realtionship...

tigress
hmm slash maybe lol (joking)

I hope she does better than the last one I totally felt it was worse than a badly written fic.

Knightfall93
I think that OoTP was worse because there, you could tell she'd written really long bits and started on good ideas but it was just TOO LONG and the editors cut it down so it didnt work well... HBP was great, a really good book and everything, but it was just too much build up and all...

Hollypoo
yeah,there has to be some kind of a twist about the whole DD and VD relationship.Can't wait for the seventh book!!!smile

Knightfall93
Nor can I...

goddess_susu
I was watching the interview of JK that was made when the last movie came out, and she kept saying how it was great working with the director, how they worked together on it, and how he was putting things in the movie right now, that he doesn't know yet, but forshadow or reappear in the last too books.
meaning- JK has left many questions, but she does them on purpose. she plans them out that way.

I really believe in Joe. Off course there are ganna be a lot of people that disagree with the ending, but u cant please everyone. People will just have to deal with it. The world of Harry Potter came completly from her emagination, so noone should know more about the come out of this war then her

Lord_Saratn
Originally posted by Knightfall93
I think that OoTP was worse because there, you could tell she'd written really long bits and started on good ideas but it was just TOO LONG and the editors cut it down so it didnt work well... HBP was great, a really good book and everything, but it was just too much build up and all...

Too long? It wasn't good because it was too long? Wow...never thought i'd hear anything like that before.

Got to have more than saying a book is too long. So i take it your not a fan of reading large books.

Long books doesn't make a book good or bad

depends on how it is written

take Terry Goodkind's books for example. Almost all of them get really close to a 1000 pages. And he has like i think it was 9 or 10 books out. And they are really really good.

And what do you mean too much of a build up? Start explaining what you mean, so it's easier to understand.

I honestly say, the longer the book is the better. Finished HBP in less than 9 hours, and didn't get to bed until 4 o'clock in the morning. read it all at once. big grin

Personally, i agree with Joe, and with goddess.

Rowling wouldn't set herself for a fall. As you can tell she loves these books, and she wants to do things very well and detailed.

Rowling is quite the master at pulling a few unexpected tricks, and leaves plenty of clues for her readers.

She means to do this, so she could make a grand finale in the Harry Potter series

and who knows, all because this series ends, doesn't mean we won't see more from her.

for all we know, she could get an idea for a whole new book (s) and she might captivate a large audience again, like she did with the HP books.

think i've said my share for the night.

Knightfall93
You didnt read that properly, did you? I said they were too long so the editor wouldnt accept, then they cut it down and it didnt really work as well. And I read HBP in 25 hrs with long breaks, I have no problem with long books. read what i say properly before moaning, saratn

omaga
Originally posted by RoguePw25
So let's get started!

Now personally, I'm thinking that there will be little payoff. My first problem with Book 6 is that it was slightly predictable. When JK killed off Sirius, I saw what she was thinking in the sense that she had to kill off people who were close to Harry and would ultimately help him defeat Voldey, I suspected that Dumbledore would be next, but I think his death was too forced. He died with too many unanswered questions for me.

Good point!! Thas why i cannot figure out weather snape is good or bad now dumbledore is dead. whats going on JK

fawkesfire
ok..my idea on this is that dumbledore and snape planned it so i think snape is still good but he needed a reason to have voldemort trust him. killin dumbledore gets snape in again and he can tell the order whats goin on on the inside

omaga
Originally posted by fawkesfire
ok..my idea on this is that dumbledore and snape planned it so i think snape is still good but he needed a reason to have voldemort trust him. killin dumbledore gets snape in again and he can tell the order whats goin on on the inside

me 2 smile

stormlover
What do you think Harry will do in book 7 after he proclaimed that he wasn't coming back to Hogwarts back in book 6? I'm also hoping that we see more action from Neville involving magical plantlife or something (since he is so good at Herbology). Also, do you think that the other magic schools from book 4 will appear or have a role in book 7?

DanFan4000
Never

willRules
Originally posted by Dark_Psylocke
Yeah, I get the same impression too. And I must admit that for me, that'd be quite a disappointment. I mean, what is it going to be about, having everyone come back from the grave? Honestly, imo, if Dumbledore's not dead, not only will it be quite predictable, but it'll ruin the feeling of loss... and of course, of Dumbledore can defeat death, I wouldn't be too surprised if Harry beats Voldemort only with his help- not by himself.

In my opinion Snape is almost certainly a good guy, working for Dumbledore. I'm sorta 50/50 on if Dumbledore is dead or not. there is soooo much potential storyline and would make a great twist to learn he is alive, but It may cheapen his death and his survival may ruin some of the moral themes that can be drawn from the books (Or it may do the opposite and create more smile ).

I would be happy if she kept Dumbledore dead or alive (Even though he was my favourite character in the books.) As for Snape, I hope JK didn't give into the obvious and made him a bad guy, I hope his character still has some depth and is still one of Dumbledore's men smile

HPFAN1992
Originally posted by Makae
I think that Snape is neutral anyway. But I don't think that he'll get all sappy and kill himself. I think that he's just doing what he's always done, doing what's good for him and him only.
I think Snape will TRY to kill himself but Harry will stop him and ask him for help defeating Voldie and Snape will become good... YEY laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.