How many people have died in the name of Religon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
???

spencerspider
I would have to say a good bit.

golem370
I would say over 1million people.

spencerspider
well yea, I mean so many people were persecuted and killed when Rome ruled, and I am sure there are many other times when thousands, and even millions were killed

Echuu
Many millions of people have died because of religion and people still are dieing because of it unfortunately.

debbiejo
Well you say the Crusades, but I think that was also for the land, but besides that probably milliions..wars, wars, wars......It's the you're wrong and we're right, and we must save, or cleanse the land so that we can finially have peace......

War for peace...Hmmm

Koala MeatPie
How Many People Have Died NI The Name Of Religion?

Hummm... I dunno...

How Many Suicide bombers have there been in Pakistan over the last 10 years?

Capt_Fantastic
One very important person died in the name of religion....

And they just happened to catch it on tape:

http://www.lowcarbcomedy.com/html/videos/therest/passionhill.htm

dagurlhoolived
over 40 million died because of their religion or because of someone else's, anyone who doesnt know that...!

AOR
Originally posted by golem370
???

Countless....

GhostDance
If the answer is more than one, then that religion is probably not worth getting killed over. I think the Buddists might have the right idea. Don't see many Buds smiting unbelivers (christians) or suicide buds (muslims).

Dying in the name of a fictious character...worthless...
Dying in the name of something worthwhile (freedom, family)...priceless!!

degrassicoolie
Dieing for religion is kind of couragous but that's when your fighting for it not just putting a bomb on you and pushing a button but I mean like when someone says they'll shoot you if you believe in the Lord like one story heard of this girl now that's couragous to say "jyes I believe in the Lord"

debbiejo
Dieing in the name of religion is such a waste. Because if there was some grand ietitiy, it would be way beyond us in thought. For some denomination to pick up the sword would be a god in human clothing....Just isn't that way, in my view........That would be a lesser man made god for sure....One that kills to add to him self.

Storm
Although religion plays an important role, so do a variety of cultural, political and historical factors, and all of these must be taken into account.

markie
??? I can't give an exact number let's just say too many.

Adam_PoE
"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion - several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven." - Mark Twain

debbiejo
OOOOHHHH that Mark Twain hit it right on the nose!

Shakyamunison
15848996655422547785698512546.5 laughing

debbiejo
You just let your fingers have fun with your keyboard didn't you?...Oh you forgot to the 5th power.....LOL

markie
??? Throughout history I would guess close to a billion give or take a few million.

debbiejo
Doesn't sound like a good idea to be religious then does it.

Kella
Hmm...well, no one has died in the name of religion. Christ died for us, not for our religions. He did not die to promote Christianity.

Terrorists are not dying and killing because of their religions...they are doing it out of hate towards whoever the flavor of the month is.

The Crusades were a battle over a city...just land and power over that land, never for religion. Just because you happen to be one religion and someone that you are killing or that is killing you happens to be another religion doesn't make it a religious death.

People argue over differences in beliefs and religions, but they die because of hate, not religion or difference of religion...just difference of opinion.

No war has ever been fought for religions. It's wars of hate and of freedom or bondage. It's wars of power and control. It's wars of differences. That's just my opinion though.

Echuu
Originally posted by Kella
Hmm...well, no one has died in the name of religion. Christ died for us, not for our religions. He did not die to promote Christianity.

Terrorists are not dying and killing because of their religions...they are doing it out of hate towards whoever the flavor of the month is.

The Crusades were a battle over a city...just land and power over that land, never for religion. Just because you happen to be one religion and someone that you are killing or that is killing you happens to be another religion doesn't make it a religious death.

People argue over differences in beliefs and religions, but they die because of hate, not religion or difference of religion...just difference of opinion.

No war has ever been fought for religions. It's wars of hate and of freedom or bondage. It's wars of power and control. It's wars of differences. That's just my opinion though.

I think some of what you are saying is a little off. If a muslim comes up to me and says 'I am going to kill you because you are a Christian' and then blows my head off that would be considered a religious death.

Kella
It would be considered a hate crime. You wouldn't die because you were defending your beliefs...just that you had them.

debbiejo

There are holy wars though. And the Bible and the Koran tells to convert others. As far as I know about the Muslims, they are so against Christianity it's not even funny in the middle eastern countries. They have killed people for converting to Christianity.

Kella
mmm-hmmm...ok.

sorry...I'm not in the thinking mood tonight. Sure...holy wars...everybody hate christians...it'll bring about the end faster and then I can go home and rest a bit. whoo-hoo!

*smacks self back to sanity and then cries to think about work for day number 28 in a row*

debbiejo
No temple = No return of Jesus..

Temple has to be built first.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
You just let your fingers have fun with your keyboard didn't you?...Oh you forgot to the 5th power.....LOL

The .5 was the joke. big grin

debbiejo
No........The 5th dimension....... blink laughing out loud

Wasn't that a band name.??

Mindship
Hmm...well, no one has died in the name of religion...

I would tend to agree.
No one has died in the name of religion.
But many have died because of religionism.

Religion is truth-serving and ultimately self-transcending.
Religionism is ego-serving and ultimately self-contradicting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.