Patriot Act not being renewed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051216/...atriot_vote_dc

According to the article the US senate chose not to renew the US Patriot Act, apparently because they wanted to protect cival lliberties and yet another perfect example of why I sneered at "OMG Bush=Palpatine" crowd. Once again, the US has adopted and done away with measures of an extreme nature as it see's fit...

smile

Tptmanno1
Thats a misleading title.
The democrats are going to attempt to fillibuster the voting on the patriot act. And some Republicans wanted to stop them from doing that, but the vote fail, so now the democrats can fillibuster.
Now for those of you who don't know(not to sound condecending to people who do...), that is where someone gets up in front of congress and just speaks for as long as they possibly can, (record is 24 hours and 16 min) about anything to stall the bill from being passed. In the past this was used to simply stall for as long as possible, but now it is used to give other senators more time, While one person is fillibustering, others are meeting in the back, or in some other room attemping to come up with a compromise or argeement.

Is it a good thing? yes.
Is it a step in the right direction, yes
but I'm not gonna be happy untill the democrats grow some balls and kill it completly.
but since Bush's popularity has taken a dive, I think more republicans will be willing to move away from Bush and vote against it

EDIT: Oh and by the way, the link is broken. I only know this stuff from reading it on no less thatn two other sites.

Sir Whirlysplat
its a shame the link worked when I posted it sad

Lana
Here's a working link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10485860/

Tptmanno1
Beat me to it. Damn you Lana!

Lana
stick out tongue I'm faster than you!

Plus MSN is my homepage, makes it easy for me.

Anyway, I say....about damn time. Something gives me the feeling that Bush is going to lose this battle, considering that his approval rating is literally in the basement.....

Tptmanno1
wooo!
Yay for Senators removing themselves from the ass of the president!
Die Imperial Presidency Die!

Black Rob
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051216/...atriot_vote_dc

According to the article the US senate chose not to renew the US Patriot Act, apparently because they wanted to protect cival lliberties and yet another perfect example of why I sneered at "OMG Bush=Palpatine" crowd. Once again, the US has adopted and done away with measures of an extreme nature as it see's fit...

smile For someone who's not american you sure do keep up with our politics

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Black Rob
For someone who's not american you sure do keep up with our politics

Thanks mate I try smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.