Angels and Airwaves

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
AS many of you know, Blink 182 split up a while ago and most likely won't be back together. I also realize that there are many of you that don't like Blink. Anyway, that's not what this thread is for. Tom Delonge recently formed a new band called Angels and Airwaves and they plan to have their album out by April of next year. I for one, am looking forward to this very much.

Check them out on these sites:

http://www.angelsandairwaves.com/Default_main.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_and_Airwaves

Here are the band members:

Tom DeLonge- guitar/vocals (member of blink-182, former member of Big Oily Men, Box Car Racer)

David Kennedy - guitar (former member of Box Car Racer, Built To Last, Over My Dead Body and Hazen Street)

Atom Willard - drums (member of The Offspring and The Special Goodness, former member of Rocket From The Crypt, American Hi-Fi, Melissa Auf Der Maur, Moth and Alkaline Trio)

Ryan Sinn - bass (former member of The Distillers)

RedAlertv2
Have to say Im intrigued. Delonge says its the best album in 20 years, so Ill definitely check it out.

On a side note, Im actually enjoying the fact that Blink broke up. The competition is leading to 2 new bands that both seem to have lots of potential

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I know what you mean. Currently, I'm more looking forward to this band than I am Plus 44, but we'll see how things go...

eggmayo
Best album in 20 years?
You mean that Tom Delonge has had anything to do with, or in general?

In general would be slightly bigheaded, methinks.

Kumar
well i watched the trailers and i expect great things. all the members come from a pretty succesful and talented musical background. i was especially suprised at Atom Willards past projects. anyway, i look forward to the release fo their first album.

SnakeEyes
BUMP

RedAlertv2
thought this would get more hype...

SnakeEyes
Yeah me too. Oh well; I'm still excited about it. Can't wait until they release a song.

Mišt
nirvana

I *cough*downloaded*cough* a couple to see what they were like, unfortunately they were only demo type songs, so the quality was poor, it sounded like a bad live show. Im gonna have to wait for some proper songs before I can judge, but given how good Blink, Boxcar Racer and P44 are, Im looking forward to it.

fuct_up_kid
At the moment, I can't imagine they'd be extremely different to Blink. +44 just seem like a whiny version, but you never know...

Df02
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
AS many of you know, Blink 182 split up a while ago and most likely won't be back together. I also realize that there are many of you that don't like Blink. Anyway, that's not what this thread is for. Tom Delonge recently formed a new band called Angels and Airwaves and they plan to have their album out by April of next year. I for one, am looking forward to this very much.

Check them out on these sites:

http://www.angelsandairwaves.com/Default_main.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_and_Airwaves

Here are the band members:

Tom DeLonge- guitar/vocals (member of blink-182, former member of Big Oily Men, Box Car Racer)

David Kennedy - guitar (former member of Box Car Racer, Built To Last, Over My Dead Body and Hazen Street)

Atom Willard - drums (member of The Offspring and The Special Goodness, former member of Rocket From The Crypt, American Hi-Fi, Melissa Auf Der Maur, Moth and Alkaline Trio)

Ryan Sinn - bass (former member of The Distillers)

he was formerly in mellissa auf der maur? lucky bastard, i'd like to be in her.

but the band were just auf der maur wink

SnakeEyes
New article; a must read for anyone who's interested. It details all the songs that are gonna be on the album. Very interesting:

http://angelsandairwaves.com/article.html

Neo_Version 7
This is starting to really get interesting, no joke! stick out tongue

Flying High
i havent heard any of their stuff though,...but looking forward to...

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Flying High
i havent heard any of their stuff though,...but looking forward to...

That's because they haven't released anything yet... wink

Kumar
i read the stuff about the songs and that is pretty cool. you don't usually see articles with the musicians motivations for EVERY song. it was really cool and insightful to see what each song was really about. i am really looking forward to the release of that album.

i was kinda disapointed that there were only like eight though >_>

Mišt
Did they have a release date yet?

SnakeEyes
I believe it's April, could be wrong, though.

RedAlertv2
Theyve released one song so far, called the Adventure Final. Its a great song, I really liked it.

StinkFist462
reminded me a lot of the cure. the guitar work.

Alpha Centauri
I can't see myself liking it.

Tom Delonge seems to think he can massively depart from Blink's sound, when he doesn't realise that the way he sings was a big part of Blink's sound.

-AC

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I know what you mean. Tom's style will most likely carry over onto the AvA record regardless of what he says, but I kind of expected it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion.

I still think it will be a good deal different, though and I'll definitely like it. I heard the one song that's out and I thought it was pretty good.

Mišt
Listening to it now, sounds pretty cool...cant wait for the album.

TXPunk09
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE CD & MOVIE TO COME OUT!
ANGELS AND AIRWAVES LEAK OF "THE ADVENTUER"
WAS AMAZING!SO FAR I LOVE THEM! I THINK THEY WILL BE WONDERFUL!TOM DELONGE WILL NOT LET US DOWN! big grin

xxxpoppunker182
ya man AVA is gonna rock IMPO. thats all i can say

SnakeEyes
I'll reserve most of my judgement until I've heard more of their stuff, but I'm fairly positive it'll be good (in my opinion, of course).

Mišt
Judging from the first song, its gonna be a blast....Im still thrashing the heck out of The Adventure...I cant get sick of it....I dont care if the album is shit, Ill still buy it just for this song. I cant see myself getting into Plus 44 though erm Mark's band just seems to be missing something...doesnt have that 'Wow, this is damn cool' feeling A&A has..

Mišt
Gah, too slow for edit..ah well..

Some of these wallpapers are pretty sweet..

http://angelsandairwaves.com/Images/downloads/wallpapers/1.jpg
http://angelsandairwaves.com/Images/downloads/wallpapers/2.jpg
http://angelsandairwaves.com/Images/downloads/wallpapers/3.jpg
http://angelsandairwaves.com/Images/downloads/wallpapers/4.jpg
http://angelsandairwaves.com/Images/downloads/wallpapers/5.jpg

G a n n o n
Im really looking forward to this. the album We Dont Need to Whisper comes out May 23.

The Adventure is so catchy and cool sounding!

Alpha Centauri
Is it definitely called that? Because Tom Delonge said "Some kids think they know what the album is called, but they don't. They can't, because I don't even know yet."

-AC

SnakeEyes
Yeah that's the official album title now.

It was announced a couple days ago on the official site/myspace and so forth.

G a n n o n
On the myspace and website it says something about a movie?

Whats this about?

SnakeEyes
"In addition to the corresponding release of the album, DeLonge, along with bandmates Atom Willard, Ryan Sinn and David Kennedy, is currently working and prepping for the release of a movie. The WWII based movie is done completely in CGI similar to how Pink Floyd generated 'The Wall'. This "story" is apparently based upon Tom's life and will give insight into the hiatus of blink-182. As of yet, the only known cast member in the movie is Michael Ostman."

G a n n o n
interesting...

Mišt
I liked the preview thing they had on myspace I think it was...good imagery and colours and all.

G a n n o n
Tom just went on a radio show and leaked a couple minutes of some songs!

Check it out

http://www.blink-182online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41962

SnakeEyes
That was pretty cool ^

The album comes out next month!

Who else is planning on getting it?

Meta
i heard the adventure. Its pretty good but Tom still sounds like he is in Blink-182 with the melodies and vocals, but the lyrics seem deeper then anything Blink would have written

Alpha Centauri
I heard The Adventure the other day.

I think Tom DeLonge will always be Tom DeLonge with regards to that vocal style, but it was much less in your face than it was in Blink. It sounded more complimentary to the music and less whiney.

I like the song, pretty nice. However if that's as good as it gets, I doubt I'll like the album. The jury is out on whether I buy it or not. I'll probably wait till they release another single to judge.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Ive heard from some people who downloaded the leaked album that it was a disappointment

Of course, I dont take them too seriously, since a true fan wouldve waited for the album, especially since there's a single out so we know what to expect.

Alpha Centauri
I don't think it's going to be this world changing album that will turn them into this U2-level stadium touring band.

I think at best it'll be a decent enough melodic rock album.

-AC

Mišt
That was pretty cool ^

The album comes out next month!

Who else is planning on getting it?

w00t I will be for sure.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Ive heard from some people who downloaded the leaked album that it was a disappointment

I've only heard The Adventure and Good Day, and they've both been pretty good, I dont know how well the rest of the album is but if the other songs are like those 2, well Ill be happy.

G a n n o n
It Hurts short film

Some other songs of the album

SnakeEyes

jediperson
these guys are awesome

i love "The Adventure"

Mišt
Im a little behind with the times....doesnt the album come out in one or two weeks? I heard The Adventure on tv the other day, have they released it as a single? And what was the album called?

StinkFist462
"The Adventure" took "Valkyrie Missle"'s place as the single. "We Don't Need To Whisper" is the album title. May 23 is the release date.

SnakeEyes
Yup ^

Angels and Airwaves was supposed to release their first single (originally going to be Valkyrie Missile) on December 13th, 2005. That didn't happen and now the single is the Adventure, as Stinkfist stated. The funny thing is, AvA and Plus 44 (Mark Hoppus's new band) were planning on releasing their singles on the same day. Rivalry? Maybe.

Alpha Centauri
I heard Valkyrie Missile, I didn't like it too much. It gave me the impression that the album is going to be a bit samey.

Tom seems to be using delay on everything as opposed to using it sparingly for effect.

-AC

MusicMaster1634
The funny thing is, AvA and Plus 44 (Mark Hoppus's new band) were planning on releasing their singles on the same day. Rivalry? Maybe.

i dont think its a rivalry

Mišt
Yup ^

Angels and Airwaves was supposed to release their first single (originally going to be Valkyrie Missile) on December 13th, 2005. That didn't happen and now the single is the Adventure, as Stinkfist stated. The funny thing is, AvA and Plus 44 (Mark Hoppus's new band) were planning on releasing their singles on the same day. Rivalry? Maybe.

When does P44 album come out?

Time Of Evil
I take your points about Tom sounding the same. However it must be accounted that his voice is pretty unique.

I think he's done well, comprising a band of good musicians and they have created some catchy tune. Although one problem I have is that they are samey and in the same key.

But I do think there is a bit of potential there. They're not going to take over the world like Tom thinks but they will make an impact on a certain section of the public.

cool_dudes_rule
i didnt know that atom willard was in American Hi-Fi i knew he was in offspring from 2003.

Alpha Centauri

MusicMaster1634
the OFFICIAL "The Adventure" Lyrics from thier myspace

THE ADVENTURE

I want to have the same last dream again
The one where I wake up and I'm alive
Just as the four walls close me within
My eyes are opened up with pure sun light
I'm the first to know
My dearest friends
Even if your hope has burned with time
Anything that's dead shall be re-grown
And your vicious pain, your warning sign, you will be fine.

Hey ohhh, here I am
And here we go, lifes waiting to begin

Any type of love it will be shown
Like every single tree reached for the sky
if your gonna fall Ill let you know, that I will pick you up like you
for I
I felt this thing
I can't replace
Where everyone was working for this goal where all the children left
without a trace, only to come back as pure as gold to recite this all.

Hey ohhh, here I am
And here we go, lifes waiting to begin, tonight

I cannot live I cant breathe unless you do this with me..
Hey ohhh, here I am.
Do this with me. Here we go, lifes waiting to begin
Lifes waiting to begin.

Its NOT "Hey Yo"

SnakeEyes
I always just thought it was "hello."

Time Of Evil
If any of you have seen the My Space website Tom comes across as if he thinks AVA will take over the world

BTW what does the V in AVA stand for?

Alpha Centauri
Ava is his daughter's name, and for some reason the shortened name of Angels & Airwaves.

Triple A would have been the car mechanics.

-AC

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Ava is his daughter's name, and for some reason the shortened name of Angels & Airwaves.

Triple A would have been the car mechanics.

-AC

AvA being his daughters name is very ironic!

Morgoths_Wrath
I thought the AvA album came out TODAY confused

I guess they pushed it back a week since I last checked

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
I thought the AvA album came out TODAY confused

I guess they pushed it back a week since I last checked
I thought it was out a month ago

Flying High
i think originall it was to be sooner...but oh well smile

SnakeEyes
May 23rd is the release date of the album.

As for the "v" in AvA, it is supposed to be an upside-down "A" so that the abbreviation could be his daughter's name. It was done intentionally.

As for the album, I can't wait. I'll hopefully be buying it the day it comes out!

MusicMaster1634
AVA on letterman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAljewiRrw

RedAlertv2
Pretty cool video thanks

Time Of Evil
cool video. Did they get interviewed?

Flying High
im gona go see them in June anyway....tickets werent that expensive stick out tongue

Time Of Evil
If anyone has a full interview with them will they post the link please? I want to see how they come across, and see if Tom is a cocky so and so.

Alpha Centauri
I've never seen Tom be cocky about it, he's just extremely confident that he can change the world, but in a humble way. If that makes sense.

-AC

Time Of Evil
I've never seen Tom be cocky about it, he's just extremely confident that he can change the world, but in a humble way. If that makes sense.

-AC

I honestly don't think he can change the world. Not many people even know of them in England if that's anything to go by.

RedAlertv2

-AC

He said it would be the best album of the last decade. Cocky or not, that is a bold claim

Alpha Centauri
Of course it is, and there are probably people who will believe that, Tom included. Personally I don't believe he has a chance in hell of getting album of the year, any year. Let alone album of a decade.

People do know of them here. Just not to a massive degree. The album isn't even out yet anyway. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll get it or not.

-AC

SnakeEyes
This site has a bunch of cool information on it:

http://www.angelsandairwaves.co.uk/

SnakeEyes
Some fan reviews of the CD... which isn't even out yet:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/angels_and_airwaves/we_dont_need_to_whisper/index.html

MusicMaster1634
the album is on thier Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/angelsandairwaves

Time Of Evil
It's brilliant! I'm listening to it now.

I think the album is great.

Df02
hahaha, soo many people were disappointed by this album.

i always knew it would be pretty average.

Flying High
i knew it wasnt going to live up to the hype...but is it decent? lol

Df02
i dont like it at all, but then i didnt think i would... so not my thing

Flying High
well....im actually listening to it on myspace...sounds alright to me...sorta reminds me a little of some of the songs on Blink's self titled album...like sorta an All of This feel to it...but that's maybe just me messed

MusicMaster1634
i think the album is KICK ASS!!!!!

Mišt
This album is better than I expected, Ill be getting it tomorrow for suredroolio

Apparently the album came out 2 days ago here no expression Why was I not informed of this....*stabs someone*

Time Of Evil
The adventure only came in at 20th in the singles chart in England. erm

Flying High
i got the album...not listened to it straight...but listened to a couple of tracks...i like it smile

and 20....geez...thought it was more popular than that stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
The album comes out tomorrow for me... I'll definitely be going to the store to pick it up. I've heard about 5 of the songs already and I like them, and I'm trying not to listen to the other 5, even though it's tempting.

G a n n o n
The album comes out tomorrow for me... I'll definitely be going to the store to pick it up. I've heard about 5 of the songs already and I like them, and I'm trying not to listen to the other 5, even though it's tempting.
same with me. i went to the store but all they had was parental advisory and my mom will only let me get the clean version.

SnakeEyes
That sucks... seriously, the clean versions of any CD are usually a good deal worse, becuase they go silent whenever they're is anything that's considered "bad" and sometimes, full parts of lyrics are taken out all-together. I'll be buying the parental advisory version for sure.

RedAlertv2
seriously? theres a parental advisory?

Flying High
i felt all grown up cause i didnt get asked if i was like...old enough for it stick out tongue

i am...but i always thought i looked way younger stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
seriously? theres a parental advisory?

Yup. wink

G a n n o n
That sucks... seriously, the clean versions of any CD are usually a good deal worse, becuase they go silent whenever they're is anything that's considered "bad" and sometimes, full parts of lyrics are taken out all-together. I'll be buying the parental advisory version for sure.
darn since theres only like four swears on the whole album but my moms weird like that. i looked on itunes and only It Hurts and DO It For Me Now are edited.

SnakeEyes
Okay, I've bought the CD and have listened to all of it and I really like it. It's not going to be some world-changing album, but it was as good as I expected, so I am satisfied. Tom has improved lyrically and musically quite a bit and it has a very melodic sound to it. It's different than his previous works, so even if you didn't like his other stuff, it might still be a good idea to check this album out. It's 50 minutes long, with 10 tracks. I like all of them.

Mišt
Ill have to wait until Friday to get itweep

Saw your name on the birthday list, happy birthday, have a good oneeek!

SnakeEyes
Thanks, man! cool

SnakeEyes

RedAlertv2
Should be getting it Monday, and Im pretty pumped about it.

Mišt
Shit! Forgot to pick it up todaymad Ill have to wait until Mondaysad

MusicMaster1634
i bought the album today

its totally kick ass

.Dance_Inside.
I realy enjoy them! I'm seeing them on July 5th along with Taking Back Sunday and The Subways

SnakeEyes
I think it would be really neat to see them live, but I could care less about the other bands. After their done with this tour, they're supposed to be doing a headlining tour, which I'll be more interested in.

SnakeEyes
BUMP

Anyone else heard the album?

Anyone have a favorite track or anything of that sort?

I'm interested in what you guys think.

Mišt
Oh my god....I completely forgot about it....doh Ill have to wait til tomorrow or whenever to get itweep

MusicMaster1634
BUMP

Anyone else heard the album?

Anyone have a favorite track or anything of that sort?

I'm interested in what you guys think.

HEARD IT!!!

FAV. TRACK.....................VALKYRIE MISSILE!!!!

then its the Instrumental version of the adventure

SnakeEyes
Really? Valkyrie Missile might be my least favorite...

Mišt
I downloaded the video clip for The Adventure the other day, cool clip, kinda describes their style nicely.

Mišt
Damn, too slow for edit.

I just found the perfect speaker set up for The Adventure droolio

5.1 - Rear speakers cranked up, front speakers turned down a bit, center speaker mid-loud, subwoofer cranked droolio

For some reason, the rear speakers make it sound better when the music comes mostly from behind.

MusicMaster1634
Really? Valkyrie Missile might be my least favorite...

then whats your favorite? :P

SnakeEyes
Currently, I'd have to say "A Little's Enough" is my favorite. Although "It Hurts" and "Start the Machine" are close seconds.

MusicMaster1634
Currently, I'd have to say "A Little's Enough" is my favorite. Although "It Hurts" and "Start the Machine" are close seconds.

"It Hurts"...HELL YEAH!!!!

that son's a f*ckin fire out of control

Morgoths_Wrath
"Do It For Me Now" is probably my favorite

Flying High
i havent actually listened to it enough to choose a favourite no expression

G a n n o n
It Hurts, Start the Machine, and Valkyrie Missle are my favorites.

RedAlertv2
Bought the album today. Too early to give a full review of it but I definitely have a handful of songs I liked on first listen

Mišt
Same, just got around to playing it right now big grin Awesome...awesome album.

RedAlertv2
I like "A Littles Enough" and "The War"

SnakeEyes
Yeah, those songs kick some major ass ^

Mišt
I had it on repeat for a while yesterday, and Im listening to it now, and I still cant pick a favouritew00t

MusicMaster1634
I like "A Littles Enough" and "The War"

those are kick ass!!

SnakeEyes

Mišt
Not really laughing out loud But if I had to pick the most replayed song, probably Valkyrie Missile. Theres too many good ones....The Adventure, It Hurts, Valkyrie Missile, The War...gah cant pick one...

Clone
Most of their songs sound like U2........................and the world hasn't changed. erm

Imaginary
They dont really sound anything alike...blink and I doubt that was a literal comment when Tom said it would change the world...he was just hyping up the album. Why would anyone actually believe a single album would change the world?

Its certainly better than half the absolute crap out there at the moment, like Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco....how are they selling albums? Its unintelligible babble with retarded backing instruments mashed together with no concept of structure or talent.

AVA still released a good album.

/Mist

Alpha Centauri
If anyone genuinely thought Angels and Airwaves were going to change the world, well...

-AC

Flying High
i just figured it would be an alright album...and it was stick out tongue

RedAlertv2
This album is pretty good, except it doesnt have much depth can get boring quickly. Still, it has some great songs.

Clone
Originally posted by Imaginary
They dont really sound anything alike...blink

They do. The drumming and the guitar riffs.

and I doubt that was a literal comment when Tom said it would change the world...he was just hyping up the album. Why would anyone actually believe a single album would change the world?

/Mist I think he meant the music world............................

Its certainly better than half the absolute crap out there at the moment, like Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco....how are they selling albums? Its unintelligible babble with retarded backing instruments mashed together with no concept of structure or talent.

Yes, it is.

RedAlertv2
Just because its better than crap doesnt necessarily mean its good. Being better than Panic at the Disco isnt much of an accomplishment

crazy_c
I like the adventure... and Tom Delonge's arm movements in the video... heehee laughing

xLiNdS x 622x
♥

SnakeEyes
Well, after having the album for a while and after having listened to it numerous times, I must say that I still enjoy it. Yet, I do see what some of you mean when you say that it can "get boring quickly." I think that part of the reason for that is that it only has 10 tracks. I was expecting something a bit more "epic" I guess, with all the hype it was getting. I was only slightly disappointed, as I still think it's a great record, but it's still something that I noticed. Tom has improved a lot since his Blink days. Overall, it's still a respectable debut album with a number of awesome tracks.

Mišt
Yeah true, Im hoping their next album can somehow...break off and do something actually groundbreaking, now that they've had their debut. If they keep repeating the same thing, its gonna get boring. At least Blink was different on each album, they improved each time.

jdk
angels & airwaves is AWESOME.....i dont no wat all u haters talking about

Solo
I went to their concert a couple days ago and it was some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Solo
I went to their concert a couple days ago and it was some of the worst shit I've ever heard. As far as the music, or the live performance? Or both?

Solo
Their album wasn't too bad, but seeing them live was one of the worst experiences I've ever undergone.

SnakeEyes
Care to elaborate further? I'm curious.

Solo
The whole show was just DeLonge preaching about how he could make your life so much better.

SnakeEyes
I see. Yeah, that would be annoying for sure.

How about the actual performance/music. How were they live in that sense?

StinkFist462
1/3 Blink 182 1/4 Boxcar 1/3 AVA. the rest is Tom blabbling on about something.

i bet thats what the shows are like

SnakeEyes
Yeah, that's probably a pretty accurate estimate.

SnakeEyes
They have a new album out; "I-Empire."

Overall, it's pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but definitely enjoyable. Tom is preachy as ever and he re-uses a lot of the same hooks in certain songs, but other than that I have no problems with the album.

ragesRemorse
I bought their album when it released last year. IT may not have been their first, but it was the last for me. Although there seemed to be potential there. The music was convoluted and at times very hard to listen to. I wouldnt mind seeing where this band ends up in several years though, if they last that long.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.