Plus 44

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker (from Blink 182) recently started a side-project together. They have an album planned for next year, and I'm looking forward to this as well. I'm a little skeptical, but I'll reserve judgement for a while. It's electronic-based, which should be a lot different than anything they've done before.

Check them out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_44

http://plusfortyfour.com/

RedAlertv2
I really like the song. Funny how much Mark bashes Tom in it.

PINBALL
The song is pretty cool

Imaginary
Eh... not a fan of Blink or any related bands...

Mišt
This is wicked, Im looking forward to Tom's Angels and Airwaves band as well, cant get enough of teh Blink boys, even if theyre doing their own thing droolio

SnakeEyes
I know what you mean. I'm looking forward to AVA a little more, though. wink

Neo_Version 7
Oh, man.

Gotta hear their stuff! big grin

SnakeEyes
BUMP.

There album is out now.

I quite like it. Anyone else heard it/have opinions?

StinkFist462
ive heard a few tracks, werent too bad.

i saw them live on jimmel kimmel. god awful, i regret having hope.

SnakeEyes
Why were they so bad?

StinkFist462
it was just a slop fest. sounds like blink 182 version, if one existed. the vocals sounded nothing like the album, the guitars were turned way too loud and too distorted to the point you couldnt make out what they were trying to do.

although travis did do a good job drumming one handed.

RedAlertv2
I definitely like the album. It helped make up for AVA falling short.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by StinkFist462
it was just a slop fest. sounds like blink 182 version, if one existed. the vocals sounded nothing like the album, the guitars were turned way too loud and too distorted to the point you couldnt make out what they were trying to do.

although travis did do a good job drumming one handed.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I just watched the performance on youtube, and I must say, it wasn't that great. Mark and Tom have both been a little sloppy live, though.

I also watched some live performances from them on AOL Sessions and they were a lot better.

So, who knows, maybe their just not consistant.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I definitely like the album. It helped make up for AVA falling short.

Agreed. But I do like both albums. I just think that Plus 44 attempted to be exactly what they are, whereas Tom hyped up his album (ie: saying it was going to be the best Rock Album in the past 20 years), and thus made it fall short.

RedAlertv2
I havent seen the performance you two are speaking of, but part of the reason it might not sound good is because on the album Mark overlaps his voice on a lot of the songs, which could makethe live version sound weak in comparison.

I like +44 more than AVA because I felt like Tom was trying too hard to write songs that were big and pretty and "perfect," if you will, whereas Mark wrote music with darker themes and more conflict. Ultimately, I just think that When Your Heart Stops Beating is a more honest record than We Dont Need to Whisper.

The Core
Honestly, I think Mark Hoppus needs to grow up. He's 34, rich as **** off of the little kids he still caters to, andjust needs to give up. There's a reason bands break up and nobody cares. Trying to revive your career in a sea of oneder whiny tweener bands isn't recommended.

SnakeEyes
I havent seen the performance you two are speaking of, but part of the reason it might not sound good is because on the album Mark overlaps his voice on a lot of the songs, which could makethe live version sound weak in comparison.

I like +44 more than AVA because I felt like Tom was trying too hard to write songs that were big and pretty and "perfect," if you will, whereas Mark wrote music with darker themes and more conflict. Ultimately, I just think that When Your Heart Stops Beating is a more honest record than We Dont Need to Whisper.

Yeah, that could definitely be a possibility.

Here's a link to the performance we're talking about, if you wanna watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxn8St9sHlg

Also, I urge people to watch THIS performance of the same song (It's much better): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszuJ06VnHU

Yeah, I definitely think that +44's album is much more direct and honest. Although I'm still undecided as to which album I like more. Probably +44, but we'll see.

Hopefully both bands will continue to make albums that get better and better.

Originally posted by The Core
Honestly, I think Mark Hoppus needs to grow up. He's 34, rich as **** off of the little kids he still caters to, andjust needs to give up. There's a reason bands break up and nobody cares. Trying to revive your career in a sea of oneder whiny tweener bands isn't recommended.

Meh, I think that Mark is doing fine. According to Mark/Travis, Tom left the band in a real *******-ish way, so it's fair to have some songs about it on the record.

RedAlertv2
Yeah, the 2nd video is far better. Does Travis use a pedal to hit the snare?

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by The Core
Honestly, I think Mark Hoppus needs to grow up. He's 34, rich as **** off of the little kids he still caters to, andjust needs to give up. There's a reason bands break up and nobody cares. Trying to revive your career in a sea of oneder whiny tweener bands isn't recommended. Compare +44 to Blink and Id say its fairly obvious that Mark has matured a lot over the years.

SnakeEyes
... bump.

StinkFist462
Yeah, the 2nd video is far better. Does Travis use a pedal to hit the snare?

upon second viewing of the first vid, i saw this also. i dont know how i missed it the first time through.

its either he uses a pedal to hit the snare or its a back track. i'm guessing back track, cause there are some things must be really hard to do with a snare using a pedal.

as for +44 or AVA, i'm going with Angels. i like the "big" sound tom goes for and overall it sounds more put together than the +44 album (which im not really a fan of). also i can only imagine that AVA's live shows are infinetly better than that piece of trash youtube vid. (the first one)

Neo_Version 7
Just downloaded the album and I can't help but keep listening to "155". The electronic sound is really catchy. WYHSB is a solid single too.

And after watching their AOL Sessions, I couldn't believe Travis' drumming with one hand. I wanted to laugh and praise him at the same time.

SnakeEyes
Bump.

Anyone else heard the album/have opinions?

Or is there any news on the band?

papabeard
I heard the single, it's better than what i have heard from Angels and Airwaves, but thats not saying much. None of it is as good as "stay together for the kids".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.