Godzilla - 1998

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mando
I searched, and searched, and even asked around. Nothing on this particular movie. But to get to the point, What did you think about the American version of The Japanese classic 'Godjiga'? I'm talking about The 1998 film with Matthew Broderick. I've seen it before, but not scince '99. So, I'll be back in a minute with my new opinion.

I would like to hear others opinions. Due to the fact that IMDB gave it such a low rating.

Solo
Haven't seen it for years, but at the time I didn't think it was so bad.

Probably on the average line.

Mando
Originally posted by Solo
Haven't seen it for years, but at the time I didn't think it was so bad.

Same here, I don't remember a lot about it. But from what I do remember, it wasn't that bad.

The only complaint I remember having, Is the fact that The changes in Godzilla's appearence between the original and the '98 film. It was very Different.

Nevermind
I believe it's spelt "Gojira". I remember seeing this film in the cinema ages ago. I've seen the Japanese Godzilla movies and they are pretty good. I didn't like the American take on Godzilla, especially the design.

Ultimate Hulk43
This movie was okay and I think that the new design for Godzilla was great but they should've made a part two called ''The Son of Godzilla''.Just about anyone who saw and remembers the ending should agree.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
they should've made a part two called ''The Son of Godzilla''.Just about anyone who saw and remembers the ending should agree.

I don't.

Ultimate Hulk43
I said just about everyone,not everyone should agree.Anyway,it was a great movie but the question is,should they have killed off Godzilla?

Solo
they should've made a part two called ''The Son of Godzilla''.Just about anyone who saw and remembers the ending should agree.
That's a very, very bad idea.

T.M
Originally posted by Nevermind
I don't.

Agreed.

I said just about everyone,not everyone should agree.Anyway,it was a great movie but the question is,should they have killed off Godzilla?

yes they should have killed him.

I thought this movie was alright wasn't great but it is watchable if there is nothing else on.

imdb.com rating = 4.4/10 that is low. It was at least 5.5/10 (maybe 6) IMO.

ladygrim
hmm i havent actually watch this but ive always wanted to check it out ....

PVS
its watchable....but very forgettable

ladygrim
rightyo i'll rent tho these days its probably cheaper to buy it on dvd ......

but i dont think i would want to own it

-hh-
hated it sick

the old Godzilla movies are classics.

i remember as a kid watching 'Godzilla vs King Kong' like 5 times a day. droolio

Mando
I watched It last night. And fell asleep to be honest.

The Special effects were sub par, but the visual effects were Very nicely done. When I say "Visual effects" I mean the bridge that collapsed upward when the old man was fishing on it, And the Debree falling off the building when Godzilla smacked into them.

Verdict: 6/10 Popcorn Flick

stunna1773
i havent atched it in a long time i just lost interest

Mindship
How King Kong has just been done -- this is how Godzilla shoulda been done...not a Jurrasic Park rip-off.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Mindship
How King Kong has just been done -- this is how Godzilla shoulda been done...not a Jurrasic Park rip-off.

With a herd of Brontosaurs and raptors chasing humans, I'd say there was a little rip-off in King Kong too.

Mindship
Originally posted by Nevermind
With a herd of Brontosaurs and raptors chasing humans, I'd say there was a little rip-off in King Kong too.

No doubt the new Kong is playing to the JP mindset, though not as much as Godzilla, IMO, since the original Godzilla was upright and had no babies running around. Overall, Kong did come first, in 1933, with dinosaurs. It would be fairer to say that JP built upon what 1925's Lost World, 1933's Kong, and the countless other movies before JP, did, the new Kong in effect completing the "circle of FX."

SpyCspider
most fans of the original kaiju films hate the American version. In one of the recent Tokyo released Godzilla movies, they even have a scene where they talk about the "American Godzilla" and the characters state "they thought it was Godzilla, but it really wasn't " :P

The Japanese kinds stood for something..a symbol of mankind's destructive power gone unchecked, creating a monster who destroys humans in the process...almost like Princess Mononoke. Yes, they were corny and the special fx horrible, but that was what made them good. They had heart and soul.

The 1998 one was a big lizard who couldn't withstand conventional weapon attacks, who ate FISH??, who couldn't shoot atomic breath, etc. It didn't stand for much other than some monster who got taken down as soon as it started attacking. And yes, the JP references....so overdone.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Mindship
No doubt the new Kong is playing to the JP mindset, though not as much as Godzilla, IMO, since the original Godzilla was upright and had no babies running around.

In the Americanized version of Godzilla didn't only one of the eggs hatch and it was the only at the end? Plus the American version of Godzilla wasn't a remake of the original. It was an attempt to make their own version of it. Unlike King Kong. I'm not saying King Kong was bad in any way, it was terrific. I just don't see how Godzilla was anymore of a rip-off than King Kong because to be honest I don't really see any likeness to Jurassic Park.

Ultimate Hulk43
Me either.Godzilla was a great movie and I was watching it last night,great special fx.It may have been nothing like the originals but it was still good and I believe he did blow fire out of his mouth in one scene.

MC Mike
It was somehow pale, and yet enjoyable, with good special effects.

74%

SpyCspider
Has anyone seen Godzilla: Final Wars? Toho actually adopted the US version of Godzilla and named it Zilla, and had it attacking Sydney in the film. When the Japan Godzilla met him, hahahah.....well, see for yourself if you don't want spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/w/%28JAP%29GODZILLA-VS.-%28USA%29GODZILLA?v=7Dyd2whEIoI&search=godzilla

What Zilla's got in speed he lacks in the weapons and durability department. He has no atomic breath and he is susceptible to conventional weapons. In fact, what he does is blow at things, causing them (cars, etc) to combust and explode..hardly a formidable weapon compared to that of Japan Godzilla.

Ultimate Hulk43
No,I haven't seen that movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.