Hitler versus Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ianus
Who is the better politician and why?

Se7in
Depends.

AnakinNihilus
Originally posted by Se7in
Depends.

Thanks for the input.

In my opinion it is most certainly Sidious. They are both manipulators, but the thing is that while Hitler manipulated a weak Germany, Sidious manipulated a fairly strong Republic, and for a number of years. And both had the goal of taking over the world/galaxy, and where Hitler failed miserably, Sidious succeeded and ruled for over twenty years. Hitler doesn't even compare.

Tangible God
Ruling out Force benefits?

I'd still say Palpatine. As said above, he DID manipulate, conquer, and rule a galaxy for some 23 years. Not to mention what he pulled on people when he was a chancellor.

Hitler manipulated a weakened country that was dieing to follow anyone who could lead them out of the depression and recession caused by the Treaty.

Captain REX
Hitler does not compare, simply because everything in Star Wars is on a grand scale.

You could say that the Republic was not as strong as it could have been; it was fairly corrupted.

Fishy
Well hitler unlike Palpatine did manipulate his enemy's, Hitler also didn't have the chances Palpatine had or the possibility's, Palpatine had far better results though

ssj3gohan007
yes sidious is much better, there is no contest. Since you didnt mention anything about the force, its not ruled out so now hitler has less than 1% chance of beating Palpy

Ianus
A fight was never implied. I was focusing on methods. I'd also like to point out that while Sidious may have been far more subtle with his rise to power, he failed to have a cult of personality like Hitler did, and Hitler managed to resurrect a weakened state and make it into the most formidable fighting force of its era, able to for some time wage war on all fronts, and essentially tipping off a war in which the most people were killed (Estimates are upwards of 50 to 60 million, possibly more.)

Sidious basically inherited other men's work. He did not create an infrastructure of his new empire, he did not do nearly as much reconstructive legislature work (Though you could compare the two in terms of further stratifying the society they ruled over by passing racist/speciesist laws.) Sidious had far more resources to utilize, was aided by being Force sensitive, and had the control of an army that could not question its own orders.

Also, Sidious' state was unchallenged. It is not as if Sidious had to fight larger or more numerous states to maintain his rule and to keep his people in fine spirits while fighting on two to four fronts. As far as achieving power and being a manipulator, Sidious can be said to be arguably better. But in being an actual LEADER, I believe a deeper analysis is needed. Please note that I am not all for one side or the other, but when I hear this "there is no contest", I realize just how little time people spend thinking before they post.

Se7in
Sidious, as Janus mentioned, inherited the majority of his Empire from former rulers. He also managed to do so by hiding under a guise of benevolence and frailty. However, he managed to control an entire galaxy by doing so. Sidious had numerous others do his work, Dooku and Sifo-Dyas making his army, Grievous strategizing his army. This shouldn't lower his scale as a ruler however, since it takes a skilled and deceptive individual to trick Jedi, nevermind an entire galaxy.

Hitler was more straightforward. His fascism captured much of Germany, yet whether this was by fear or charisma is arguable. He started a World War, helped restore Germany as a world power. He also started a radical new belief that exists to this day (Neo-Nazism).

I can't really say. Once again, it depends on your idea of what it takes to be a good politicion. Does the end justify the means? In so, you could argue most likely for Sidious. Or do you believe that a politician should boldly declare his goals and views and let the people choose to follow him? Then you're most likely to argue for Hitler.

Ushgarak
Don't open silly threads like this.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.