Books about Music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
i know this should be in the book forum, but i figured more people would have read them here, but are the Motley Crue and Marilyn Manson biogs worth buying. i bought the slipknot "Behind the Masks, Underneath the Sickness" (or something to that effect) and it was pretty good (even though i lost it).

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by tabby999
i know this should be in the book forum, but i figured more people would have read them here, but are the Motley Crue and Marilyn Manson biogs worth buying. i bought the slipknot "Behind the Masks, Underneath the Sickness" (or something to that effect) and it was pretty good (even though i lost it).

I've read-

Dave Thompson's (I think) biography of Kurt Cobain. That was ok I seem to recall, although it was about ten years ago.

Hammer of the Gods- pretty good read.

I read the new Jimi biography by Charles Cross- that's good.

I've also read a Zappa biography that wasn't bad if you like Zappa, but I don't recall the name or author (although I could find out).

I'm not a big biography reader though, so that's about it.

tabby999
yeah i read "Kurt Cobain" and "Come As You Are," both good books, but theres a million Nirvana biogs

Deathblow
I really liked ''Perfect Sound Forever'', the biography of Pavement.

Apparently their first drummer used to sit outside the venue before shows making cinnamon toast for the people waiting in line.

tabby999
haha, awsome. oh "Nobody Gets Out Of Here Alive" the Bio of Jim Morrison is pretty cool, such a...interesting person to say the least

papabeard
I have read both Marylin Manson "The Cold Hard Road out of Hell"(sic) and The Dirt about Motley Crue. Both are amazing books, very funny, interesting and some of the stories are unbelievable.

Other great music books are :

Walk This Way (about Aerosmith)
Englands Dreaming by John Savage (about the british punk movement.)
Please Kill Me (about the US punk Movement)
Hammer of the Gods (about Led Zeppelin)
Freaky Dancing ( about Bez and the Happy Mondays)

and i would say Heavier than Heaven is the best book about Nirvana.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Catch A Fire - The Life of Bob Marley' by Timothy White is an excellent in-depth history on Jamaican culture, the rise of Reggae and Rastafarianism. It also has some fascinating things to relate about the legend that is Bob.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.