Worthy Remakes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
I know most remakes are the work souless demons, however I think there are some that are worthy. Anyone got any opinions on a film that was a decent remake of a film that merited it.

Its not horror but King Kong is a good example also I think that 2001 Maniacs and The Hills Have Eyes are worthy.

The originals suffered due to technology, knowledge and budgetary constraints and were made by directors who were just starting out and were not too accomplished.

These remakes will benefit from improved technique and understanding of film making, as well as budgets, special effects , talented directors and hindsight.

Mando
Honestly, I can't think of one remake that was as good as, or better than the original film.

Gaetane
i know everyone is going to trash me for this, but at least i have the courage to be honnest. I thought the 'Texas chainsaw massacre' and 'Night of the living dead' remake were very good remakes.

papabeard
The remakes were OK, but TCM definitely did not merit being remade.In my opinion the original is an almost perfect realisation of the horror film.

PS, I suppose Evil Dead 2 would be considered a remake and it was ace.

Gaetane
I really believe every horrorfan has at least one 'classic' they don't like.
For me, it was the original TCM (I know everybody loves it, sorry) but i really didn't like the komedie-undertone it had almost constantly. Thats why i liked the remake so much i think.

redcaped
I'm still waiting for Jaws & the Abominable Snowman.

-hh-
Manhunter -----> Red Dragon

great remake thumb up

MildPossession
I agree with The Hills Have Eyes getting a remake, can't wait for it.

Haven't found a remake, that I can remember anyway, that was better or good as. But I have liked some remakes like Dawn of the Dead, and The Ring.

SnakeEyes
I think that the Dawn of the Dead remake was really good.

Wolfie
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321294&highlight=remakes

The Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't bad, the TCM one too. I've never seen the original Thirteen Ghosts or Toolbox Murders but I liked the remakes.

deathbycorn
I like remakes and think they should remake any horror movie they can that had bad production/sfx etc.

My best example is Children of the Corn, remake that Hollywood.

And although they shouldn't of touched TCM, the remake was pretty good imo.

Wolfie
I think they should just remake really bad movies that had potential. Why remake a classic? You can't possibly do it better.

LizzyT123
I don't think they should make anymore remakes. Please no!!!! sad

Wolfie
But there have been movies that I wanted to like but couldn't 'cause it's so bad. More recently Mortal Kombat Annihilation (though I bought it anyway) and The Brothers Grimm.

Myth
Originally posted by Mando
Honestly, I can't think of one remake that was as good as, or better than the original film.

I can think of one. The Thing.

CobbleR
I think Dawn of the Dead was a nice remake, but it's far from better than the original.

cropsy_is_god
No film should ever be re - made. When they get re - made they get destroyed.

LizzyT123
Originally posted by Myth
I can think of one. The Thing.

You kiddin me? John Carpenter's The Thing was an AWESOME movie. If they did remake it, then it'd better be damn good, cause I'm gonna be pissed if it ends up like The Amityville Horror. sad

redcaped
Remakes should be good depending on who makes them. Creation is the projection of the creator.

Wolfie
Originally posted by LizzyT123
You kiddin me? John Carpenter's The Thing was an AWESOME movie. If they did remake it, then it'd better be damn good, cause I'm gonna be pissed if it ends up like The Amityville Horror. sad
John Carpenter's The Thing is the remake. I don't think the original was ever available on DVD, my friend's dad has the VHS of it. It's from the early '50s I think.

Undertaker
Night of The Living Dead (1990) is way better then The Original, It only worked because Tom Savini directed it and George Romero oversaw the Production of the Movie, It was a 4.5/5 movie easy, Awesome Effects.

cropsy_is_god
I don't like remakes. If an older film comes out and it's shite leave it at that. If a classic horror film comes out leave it don't remake it. In my opinion remakes are no where near as good as the orininal films.

annettemint

cropsy_is_god
Thank You thats what i was trying to say.

Pandemoniac
Usually remakes are indeed cheap attempts to gain a buck from a known movie from the earlier days, but at times a director chooses to remake a film to bring it's story in a more impressive and updated manner, as it's idea might have been great, the execution did not fulfill it's potential.
The Fly for example?

K.Diddy
Only worthwile remake has been Texas chainsaw massacre, dont know why it was needed though.........but it kept true to the original

Wolfie
The TCM remake was needed because Hollywood execs don't have enough money.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Wolfie
The TCM remake was needed because Hollywood execs don't have enough money.

laughing out loud Good point

MildPossession
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/theomen/

That's a teaser for the remake of The Omen.

MR Potter
the theard says: worthy remakes in spanish, peores remakes, i think that the worst remake was The House of Wax....

papabeard
Originally posted by Undertaker
Night of The Living Dead (1990) is way better then The Original, It only worked because Tom Savini directed it and George Romero oversaw the Production of the Movie, It was a 4.5/5 movie easy, Awesome Effects.

Are you serious?

Penfold2006
Agreed, I really liked the Dawn Of The Dead remake too. Also liked The Grudge remake too!

papabeard
2001 Maniacs ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.