Why less mutants are good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
It was getting like the Marvel Universe was Angels LA or Sunnydale superbeings (mainly mutants) were everywhere. Now they are not! The time of Marvels is back in my opinion. Discuss.

GalacticStorm
I agree its much better with a much smaller mutant population. big grin

DarkCrawler
You are right. yes

Everyone and their dog was a mutant...I know that they are supposed to be the next step of evolution, but still...it was getting ridicolous.

Especially the bizarre mutations...what kind of evolution is change that doesn't help you survive, just gives you extra pair of genitals on head...or something like thatconfused

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
I agree its much better with a much smaller mutant population. big grin

it's common sense really GS, how wondrous can it be when everyone and his dog is a mutant.

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
You are right. yes

Everyone and their dog was a mutant...I know that they are supposed to be the next step of evolution, but still...it was getting ridicolous.

Especially the bizarre mutations...what kind of evolution is change that doesn't help you survive, just gives you extra pair of genitals on head...or something like thatconfused

laughing out loud it's true DC a culling of super beings was needed at Marvel hence H of M everyone had got silly. The same was needed at DC which had lost its "heroic" feel (it seemed to be giving its icons "feet of clay" like Marvel) hence Crisis.

Scoobless

that's what natural selection is for.... animals and stuff mutate in various random ways... then some of those mutants are able to survive better and go on to thrive... the others gain no advantage or are disadvantaged and die out

(theoretically)

ScarletSpider
I posted this on Dark Side Alliance back in September before House of M had wrapped up and there had been no hints of Mutants being depowered. DC hangs around there sometimes, I don't remember if he saw it or not.

"Post: #91 Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the X-Men as a team, and blanket concept, under one stipulation. They are a group of gifted individuals--nature's next course in evolution, and they are an extreme minority. When everyone and his brother is a mutant, it diminishes the concept. There should be the X-Men, Brotherhood, a few others (Quicksilver, Wanda, Justice, Firestar, Darkstar, Vanguard). All in all, there should be no more than 100 mutants world wide. The X-Men should be the first link in the long process of evolution. Once in awhile, nature jumps ahead, but it doesn't do so prolifically. A few gifted people should appear and introduce their genetic aberations to the genepool, allowing their mutation to either grow in power and number (ie, a race of flying people, or a race of metal skinned, or a race of energy casters, etc.) if one mutation isn't that well suited to survival (like say, Skin's) then that genetic variation should eventually die out--survival of the fittest. The X-Men/Mutants should be advanced individuals using their powers to help the world, while unbeknownst to them, introducing new strains of dna to the human race as a test for the next wave of humankind. They should be prototypes for an eventual "new and improved" model that will appear in a couple thousand years."

While there are more left than I had suggested, it's pretty close. Everyone on the forum said they wanted more, the X-Men should represent a minority and not be the gifted minority, then they started talking about Shadow King and patting themselves on the back.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Scoobless
that's what natural selection is for.... animals and stuff mutate in various random ways... then some of those mutants are able to survive better and go on to thrive... the others gain no advantage or are disadvantaged and die out

(theoretically)

sort of read the "blind watchmaker" if you haven't already smile

hotsauce6548
The thing that bugged me the most was the number of mutants with weird physical mutations. In a few comics, the blue skinned, hairy, reptilian, alien-looking mutants were more than the others that looked normal!

Maestro
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
The thing that bugged me the most was the number of mutants with weird physical mutations. In a few comics, the blue skinned, hairy, reptilian, alien-looking mutants were more than the others that looked normal!

i.e Squidboy, the boy everyone loves to hate!!!

Lucid Lui
I agge, less is better. It just sucks that Chamber got de-powered...

Piedmon
You are right. yes

Actually, IRL, mutation is usually completely useless and affects nothing. Examples include webbed toes, double-jointed thumbs, and the ability to curl your tongue inward. So seemingly random and worthless mutations should in fact FAR outweigh those that are useful.

And just to throw in my two cents; I've really got to say I'm not enthusiastic about this decision. I won't burn my collection, or cry tears of anguish for Squirrel-Girl and vow vengeance on Joe Quesada. It's just a bummer that so many promising characters had to be sacrificed for one "big event."

Yeah, that's more cynical than I like to be, and I'm sure Bendis will write a great story out of this Devastation scenario. But by shutting out dozens of other characters, you close the door on what could have been another dozen great stories.

I might be the only one on this board, but I liked it when Mutants were a big population in their own right, and steadily growing. Ideas like Mutant Town, the International X-Corp, an emerging sense of identity for the Mutants. These were interesting ideas that could have sent the entire Marvel universe in a NEW direction.

Instead we're treated to revision and regression. This seems like a forced return to the Marvel Universe of the 60's, or the 70's. No disrespect to the stories of that era, but I say leave them in that era. Give us something NEW.

Joe Q's made a lot of noise about how they're "going back to the days when change was the only constant," (I'm paraphrasing him). Well, how does resetting everything so that Mutants aren't a problem anymore, so that Gwen Stacy's death matters less because it turns out she was a shopping-around whore, how do these mark progression?

But wait---Spidey's webbing's organic now! It's all-new, all-different, all-the-time!

Ah, well. I hate to trumpet negativity over upcoming storylines.... you'll never enjoy comics if you demand any serious continuity or actual progression in the characters. You have to look at it story by story. If a story's good, great, if it's not, well there's plenty else out there.

I didn't even intend to turn this into a rant, but I suppose this would be the thread.

The Ion
I can hardly see a difference. The same mutants we've been reading about for years are still around save for a few notable exceptions that won't last long anyway. Polaris is likely to be a Horseman so her powers are coming back. We all know Magnus will be back. Quicksilver is still up in the air with the Son of M mini. Whether there are 16 million mutants or 300 doesn't matter.

Piedmon
Originally posted by The Ion
I can hardly see a difference. The same mutants we've been reading about for years are still around save for a few notable exceptions that won't last long anyway. Polaris is likely to be a Horseman so her powers are coming back. We all know Magnus will be back. Quicksilver is still up in the air with the Son of M mini. Whether there are 16 million mutants or 300 doesn't matter.

There's that, too. It ties into what I was saying earlier, because essentially the only thing that will come of this is that writers won't be allowed to create new mutant characters.

This basically just locks us in for Wolverine & The X-Men vs Magneto round #324 ad infinitum.

In fairness, when the audience sneers at everything and cynically derides any attempt to alter the status quo, why should the editers and writers even bother? They won't change this storyline rut so long as it stays profitable, and if fans are prepared to buy everything even as they roll their eyes and deride it, nothing will change for the better. This is why I don't like to be negative. There's enough doomsayers out there already, more aren't needed.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Piedmon
and the ability to curl your tongue inward.

I'm...a mutant? eek!

Maybe the X-Men will recruit me!

The Amazing Tongue-Rolling Man!

Piedmon
YOUR TONGUE WAGGING TOMFOOLERY IS NO MATCH FOR MY WEBBED TOES OF WONDER!!!

DarkCrawler
Tongue wagging is an gate to complete omnipotence!

Scoobless
Webbed toes make you swin 8% faster yes

TwisterGameX
I think the government should set war on mutants and kill all the crappy ones.

ScarletSpider
Good thing Magneto was depowered, and Wolverine pretty much shat on him. Pretty dumb seeing Wolverine once again skewer Mags, but whatever.

If I recall correctly. As for quirky biology facts, a five fingered hand is actually a recessive trait. We should all have six.

Dark Urizen
Props to spetznaz for this:

When he wrote that post i remembered what he was talking about, and thought just how much i loved that story arc.
And THAT particular view on things would fit perfectly with the whole less mutants idea.

I love the notion that after all these years that the x-men and the brotherhood, and the acolytes and so on thought of themselves as the next step in human development were wasted. Them thinking they're obviously the next step in mankind's evolution being completely wrong. And all the humans calling them freaks and muties actually being correct. That humans would all evolve into something like Vargas. The same basically, but with much greater innate intellect, strength, speed, agility and such. Not freaky appearances and wierd powers.
Showing that mutants actually ARE freaks, and not the next step like they thought. Completely shattering their notions that underneath it all, they're still human, actually more than human.
There's an evil sadistic and still incredibly appealing notion in there evil face

To me at least big grin

DarkCrawler
Damn...that's nice.

Dark Urizen
Damn...that's nice.

I know eek!

But i doubt Bendis will insert any of that into the upcoming crapfest sad

DarkCrawler
Of course he won't...

In the end, it will come to Wolverine.

It always will.

Dark Urizen
Of course he won't...

In the end, it will come to Wolverine.

It always will.

What...you mean there are OTHER mutants than wulbereen? What the f**k?

DarkCrawler
It's hard to believe...but there are.

(Did you know that they are making a cartoon named: "Wolverine and the X-Men"? True story.)

The Ion
It's hard to believe...but there are.

(Did you know that they are making a cartoon named: "Wolverine and the X-Men"? True story.)
So it's a cartoon based on the movies?

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by The Ion
So it's a cartoon based on the movies?

Might be... stick out tongue

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Good thing Magneto was depowered, and Wolverine pretty much shat on him. Pretty dumb seeing Wolverine once again skewer Mags, but whatever.

If I recall correctly. As for quirky biology facts, a five fingered hand is actually a recessive trait. We should all have six.

Sort of SS it's a bit more complicated than that.

The Hardy Weinberg principle explains why we don't always see dominant traits being most common. In humans, for instant, polydactyly (having an extra finger) is a dominant trait. However, the vast majority of humans have 5 fingers which is the recessive (aa) trait. The reasons for this may be unclear..for instance, in the past a human with extra fingers may have trouble finding a mate or even surviving if it made it difficult to perform tasks. This means that the dominant trait was selected against, though it still exists in the population. Selection may eventually change this fact, if for some reason the extra digit makes survival or reproduction easier (though not likely in this day and age).

Sometimes we see isolated populations with a skew of these principles, due to genetic drift. For instance, in isolated populations, a larger amount of people may display an uncommon trait because their gene pool is so small. If a few founding members had an allele, then all their descendents and the smaller breeding population may amplify the incidence of the trait. Polydactyly is more common in Amish populations than it is in other populations, for instance.

Piedmon

Dark Urizen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.