Should Absinthe be legalized

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Alright, time to bust those myths. Absinthe is a very high proof herbal alcohol that causes mildly psychotropic effects in a small percentage of people and is mostly legal in most parts of the world. Even in the united states, the laws pertaining to its sale are full of probablies. I personally love the stuff and find it to be a more mild and intelligent alternative to the vodka or weed which my college friends prefer. so what do you think?

PVS
ive been meaning to try it for some time now.
so yeah

GCG
It IS legal. Where do you live ?

PVS
its not legal to sell it.

amity75
It's a bit overrated. A can of Carlsberg Superlager does a far better job.

Darth Jello
i live in the United States, so importation and sale is usually interpreted as illegal, tho personal use is usually interpreted as legal.

GCG
Ahhh. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The joys of Europe

Maestro
The first time I had it, it did some weird things to me & everyone else who decided to have a drink of it round my yard. One of my mates went home and thought the tv was attacking him, my brother went to sleep with his eyes open and I was watching tv at 11pm and all of a sudden woke up in my bed at 3 in the morning, and I couldn't remember walking to my room. The funniest thing is, thats nothing compared to another person who was drinking it. The previous day he was in prague and in the middle of the night after drinking absinthe, he woke up went downstairs poured himself a drink, went back upstairs and turned his parents light on because he thought he was still clubbing in prague. Just a little warning for anyone wanting to drink it, though we all did drink a fair amount of it ( it was 90%).

PVS
well ffs, you're not supposed to drink it neat messed

Maestro
Originally posted by PVS
well ffs, you're not supposed to drink it neat messed

neat, you mean straight from the bottle?

Yea, we were doing 6-7 shots of it, you don't feel much early on, but later it comes down on you like a ton of bricks, like I said above laughing

debbiejo
Oh, never heard of the stuff, but you should smoke some Lady Salvia....Can soak it for a tea too......Legal....Shamans use that stuff.....

OH, am I OT again....Nah...still am on...

PVS
Originally posted by Maestro
neat, you mean straight from the bottle?

Yea, we were doing 6-7 shots of it, you don't feel much early on, but later it comes down on you like a ton of bricks, like I said above laughing

ok, you are supposed to dillute it 1 part absinth and THREE parts water.
you are only supposed to have like 3 or 4 drinks and sip it SLOOOOOOOOWLY.

what happened was your own fault.

Maestro
Originally posted by PVS
ok, you are supposed to dillute it 1 part absinth and THREE parts water.
you are only supposed to have like 3 or 4 drinks and sip it SLOOOOOOOOWLY.

what happened was your own fault.

I know I was doing it on my own accord, not trying to take away the fact that it was my own fault, just wanted to experience the taste & effects of absinthe. We were drinking by shot glasses, so that basically equates to just drinking absinthe on its own.

PVS
this site should be helpful
http://allthingsabsinthe.com/

GCG
Water ? WATER ?

wtf ?

No; You are supposed to put the absinthe in a glass, get some sugar in a teaspoon, soak the sugar with the absinthe, and light it up. Leave for a minute until the flame dies out, stir the sugar with the absinthe, and drink it.

debbiejo
Where do you buy this stuff...???

Never mind ..... saw the link...

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
Water ? WATER ?

wtf ?

No; You are supposed to put the absinthe in a glass, get some sugar in a teaspoon, soak the sugar with the absinthe, and light it up. Leave for a minute until the flame dies out, stir the sugar with the absinthe, and drink it.

you are wrong

you drip the water over the cube and into the glass using a fountain.
3 parts water. check the site i provided or any other one of your choice and you'll see.

Maestro
Originally posted by GCG
Water ? WATER ?

wtf ?

You sir know your absinthe, that's exactly how we were doing it, but there are probably other methods, for example, PVS' way.

GCG
I am not wrong. I have always done it that way. It has been done that way without water involved.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't know what the situation in Blighty is now, but during my student days, I worked in a bar. We were only allowed to serve people 2 glasses of absinthe, after which they would receive a stamp on their hand to show they were not allowed any more. It's a pretty stupid rule seeing as you could drink a whole bottle of vodka without getting a little stamp.

Is this still the case?

PVS
please do research and dont just trust the word of some random strager on some internet forum dedicated to movies, especially when dealing with potentially dangerous substances.

again:

http://allthingsabsinthe.com/

or even

http://absinthe.com/ (i hear their absinthe is crappy though)

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
I am not wrong. I have always done it that way. It has been done that way without water involved.

im glad for you. but you are doing it WRONG.
research it ffs.

PVS
1.Pour approximately one shot into a glass.

2.Use your absinthe spoon or a fork and place a single sugar cube on the fork. Balance the fork on the top of the glass.

3.Take about three times (3 shots) the amount of CHILLED water and SLOWLY DRIZZLE IT OVER THE CUBE AS YOU WATCH THE SUGAR GRANULES DRIP INTO THE ABSINTHE. YOU WILL SEE A CLOUD OR LOUCHE OF, PERHAPS, WHITE, PEARLY, GRAY COLOR.

4. Let the movement of the water, the sparkle of the sugar and the opalescence of the color mesmerize you. When the sugar cube is dissolved, sit back into a comfy chair and SIP the ELIXIR.

5.Notice its initial flavor and ,also, the progression of subtle tongue changes in the swallow and a few moments later, fantastic taste sensations.

6.Depending on your size and normal liquor intake you may drink 1-4 shots in the same way.

http://allthingsabsinthe.com/sippinginstructions2.html

GCG
Originally posted by PVS
im glad for you. but you are doing it WRONG.
research it ffs.

The only research I do is in a bar. Water is for goldfish.

Maestro
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't know what the situation in Blighty is now, but during my student days, I worked in a bar. We were only allowed to serve people 2 glasses of absinthe, after which they would receive a stamp on their hand to show they were not allowed any more. It's a pretty stupid rule seeing as you could drink a whole bottle of vodka without getting a little stamp.

Is this still the case?

I don't think so, it's available to buy in shops.

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
The only research I do is in a bar. Water is for goldfish.

well you sir can hold your liquor. congrats.
but what you do could be very harmful for many others

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by PVS

4. Let the movement of the water, the sparkle of the sugar and the opalescence of the color mesmerize you.

I wonder what happens if you omit this part.

Maestro
Originally posted by PVS

They shouldn't try doing it then.

PVS
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I wonder what happens if you omit this part.

then you blow it laughing out loud

GCG
Originally posted by PVS

I dont hold it. Just down it straight away. It still tastes horrible, but well worth the tipple.

Having said that, the last time I did absinthe was some 4 months ago. I stick to beer & wine lately.

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
I dont hold it. Just down it straight away. It still tastes horrible, but well worth the tipple.

Having said that, the last time I did absinthe was some 4 months ago. I stick to beer & wine lately.

"hold your liquor" is just an expression for the ability to drink alot of liquor and not fall over.

Maestro
Originally posted by GCG

Just curious, how many shots did you do?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by PVS
"hold your liquor" is just an expression for the ability to drink alot of liquor and not fall over.

Of course fall is over, it's winter.

GCG
Just curious, how many shots did you do?

A small bottle. That would be 2 shots.

PVS
ok, look. if you want to end up in the exact same situation as last time, try GCG's method. the only difference is your drink will have a sweeter flavor. but trust me, you will meet the same end.

or you can utilise your favorite search engine and learn the correct method.

PVS
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Of course fall is over, it's winter.

EXACTLY!

GCG
Oh ; and it was the Black Absinthe. happy

http://absinth-black-absinthe.stinko.de/absinth_black_absinthe_1.jpg

Maestro
Originally posted by GCG
Oh ; and it was the Black Absinthe. happy

http://absinth-black-absinthe.stinko.de/absinth_black_absinthe_1.jpg

How did you feel afterwards, feeling a bit clumsy, room spinning a little, feeling slightly sleepy.

Lol

edit: whats the % on that, 90?

GCG
How did you feel afterwards, feeling a bit clumsy, room spinning a little, feeling slightly sleepy.

Lol

edit: whats the % on that, 90?

80%. I was loud and boisterous and carried on the night in another nightclub.

There is also the Rodnik Canabis Absinthe, a new absinthe made by Rodnik mixing 2 cult plants.

A very careful consumption is counselled. laughing out loud

Maestro
Originally posted by GCG

There is also the Rodnik Canabis Absinthe, a new absinthe made by Rodnik mixing 2 cult plants.

A very careful consumption is counselled. laughing out loud

laughing out loud

Maestro
After all this talking about absinthe, I think I might pop down the local tomorrow and get some of this top quality drink, relive the good times.

PVS
good for you. and thanks to both for perpetuating misinformation
i just hope people research rather than take your word for it

GCG
The only information one needs to know about Absinthe is:

Its guaranteed 59-89.9 % !

Maestro
Originally posted by PVS
good for you. and thanks to both for perpetuating misinformation
i just hope people research rather than take your word for it

perpetuating misinformation, it's the general discussion forum, don't see why we can't talk about it, seeing that what we're talking about applies to the subject, even if it does stray a bit. You still annoyed no one uses your method of using water to drink absinthe smile

PVS
simply because its dangerous to drink absinthe neat.
a fact which the discussion has glossed over and which could
easily land someone in the hospital on a stomach pump erm

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by GCG
Water ? WATER ?

wtf ?

This is how I've always done it.

GCG
Ahhh. There's my man ! zorro

KidRock
To many women in this thread..who waters down their liquor? Just drink it straight from the bottle and stop being a *****

Capt_Fantastic
Well, let me elaborate:

I don't mix it with anything, except the sugar. I place a sugar cube on top of a metal martini strainer, pour the absinthe over the sugar cube and then light it. The sugar starts to melt, dripping into the absinthe, turning it a nice shade of smoky jade. The flame goes out, drop the last of the sugar into the glass and stir. Enjoy.

It's the wormwood that is bad for your physical well-being. It's a poison.

GCG
Thats exactly the way it was done. It was that method that Johnny Depp used in the film:

"From Hell"

Kidrock, We sepak of a alcoholic tipple of a high percentage of alcohol. Absinthe ranges between 59% and 89.9% which would be almost equivalent to drinking benzine.

Its not like 'drink it from a bottle'. But hey, if you do (and down a whole bottle) I want you to make a video about it and its aftermath laughing out loud

Capt_Fantastic
It's strictly a New Years drink for me. Since it's illegal here in the States, I have to order it from a store in London. It arrives in a non-discript cardboard shipping box, labelled: "Unsolicited Gift"

I have seen 'From Hell', but I learned how to drink it from an old Scottish guy in London, on a trip there when I was 19. Our parents signed a waiver before we went, since the leagal drinking age here is 21. However, I don't think the moderators were ready for a group of 20 or so 18/19 year olds drinking freely for the first time.

I've always found it tastes like black liqorice.

Victor Von Doom
I dunno why that's in From Hell. The graphic novel was pitifully ignored as a source.

Darth Jello
there are two methods:
1. The traditional method involves putting a sugar cube in a perforated spoon and slowly dripping water on it until it disolves. with the mixture being 3:1 to 5:1 depending on the proof of Absinthe (if it's spelled Absinth on the bottle, it's Czech and is therefore missing anise as an ingrediant and probably quite a bit more potent-up to 180 proof).
2. The new Czech method involves pouring the absinthe into the glass with the spoon already over it, then the sugar cube is lit on fire and as it melts, it's stirred into the glass, thus setting the drink on fire. water is then slowly added to dilute the drink and put it out.

Absinthe is dangerous either when it's taken straight or when it's bootlegged (which can actually cause combustion in humans).

Imperial_Samura
That's what I call mighty impressive, less hang over, more flaming alcoholic death.

Not sure if it's legal in Australia, though if not it's still seems to be available. The time I tried it sounds like I had it was the traditional way, didn't like it much though, washed it down with a much more agreeable gin and tonic (I know, I know.) But eh.

Still, don't see why it shouldn't be legal, after all, as long as the prospective consumer treats it with due respect and moderation it's not a problem - though of course it can be dangerous, but then any alcohol in excess (and not always even that) can be dangerous.

botankus
When I first glanced at this thread title, I thought it was "Should Abstinance be Legalized?"

Sir Whirlysplat
Absinthe with Coffee is a right laugh before you go out..... Not as good as GHB though sad bastards made it class A I rememnr when you could get it in health food shops sad

Magee
Only last week my m8s had absinthe, 80% I think. We poured it into shot glasses with a dash of lemonade, I couldn't beleive how much 1 shot gets you wrecked. I think it's such a different drunk from drinking beer or spirits, it doesn't hit u till later on that night.

Jedi Priestess
Well dummy me, I didnt even know this stuff was still aound. embarrasment

Stun
my friends at college drink this stuff all the time lol

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
That's what I call mighty impressive, less hang over, more flaming alcoholic death.

Not sure if it's legal in Australia, though if not it's still seems to be available. The time I tried it sounds like I had it was the traditional way, didn't like it much though, washed it down with a much more agreeable gin and tonic (I know, I know.) But eh.

Still, don't see why it shouldn't be legal, after all, as long as the prospective consumer treats it with due respect and moderation it's not a problem - though of course it can be dangerous, but then any alcohol in excess (and not always even that) can be dangerous.

well, you don't really, um burst in flames. White smoke starts coming out of your mouth, followed by severe pain, delerium, shock, and death.

KidRock
Originally posted by GCG
Thats exactly the way it was done. It was that method that Johnny Depp used in the film:

"From Hell"

Kidrock, We sepak of a alcoholic tipple of a high percentage of alcohol. Absinthe ranges between 59% and 89.9% which would be almost equivalent to drinking benzine.

Its not like 'drink it from a bottle'. But hey, if you do (and down a whole bottle) I want you to make a video about it and its aftermath laughing out loud

Meh, my strong American genetics for holding alcohol is no match for anything those puny Euros throw at me. cool

PVS
so you're an alcoholic. congrats

many questions have been answered. thank you smile

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KidRock
Meh, my strong American genetics for holding alcohol is no match for anything those puny Euros throw at me. cool

Your strong, white "American genetics" ARE European

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Darth Jello
well, you don't really, um burst in flames. White smoke starts coming out of your mouth, followed by severe pain, delerium, shock, and death.

Isn't that what happens when a transformer dies?

GCG
hysterical2

WAhahahah WWWAAAAA HAHAHAHA rofl

PVS
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

laughing out loud

or they just turn gray

optimus primer

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
laughing out loud

or they just turn gray

optimus primer

So, now we know what Energon is made of.

PVS
another thread spirals into geekdom big grin

Capt_Fantastic
YO JOE!!!!!

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Poor Prowl. He deserved better (I suspect he was drunk, I don't think any of them hit a single Decepticon.)

Always had my suspiscions about Iron Hide though.

KidRock
Originally posted by PVS
so you're an alcoholic. congrats

many questions have been answered. thank you smile

Nope, try again cowboy. eek!

Darth Jello
ah kidrock, wait till you experience the absinthe hangover (ever felt tremors?)

overlord
It's has become legal in our country since a shop owner sued the government or something.
I drank a whole bottle of it alone but I just became as drunk as a skunk. I didn't know about all these ways of preparation.

But I think it's better to not try to protect humans from everything like most governments do. It usually only has a reversed effect.

Imperial_Samura

I've never heard it said the the Americans are better at holding their alcohol then the Europeans, the long seen alcohol champions of the world (the Irish, Germans, Scandinavians, Russians and such.) Maybe a drinking competition is in order, like an Olympic sport. Or something.

Magee
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I've never heard it said the the Americans are better at holding their alcohol then the Europeans, the long seen alcohol champions of the world (the Irish, Germans, Scandinavians, Russians and such.) Maybe a drinking competition is in order, like an Olympic sport. Or something.

Im quite confident the Scottish would drink most of you europeans under the table big grin That would be one olympic event we're actually good at lol

overlord
Pff.. I would bet my money on the Russian or Polish..

Magee
I dunno, us Britts like our drink, we live for the week-end beer

overlord
Yeah, I know the British party too much but those eastern European countries have damn cheap liquor and nothing else to do.

PVS
Originally posted by Magee
Im quite confident the Scottish would drink most of you europeans under the table big grin That would be one olympic event we're actually good at lol

Originally posted by overlord
Pff.. I would bet my money on the Russian or Polish..

you underestimate us itailians cool

GCG
My money goes on the Irish. The Irish Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink some more, throw up , wake up and Drink some more.

I drank with them Irish many a time and ended up speaking the same djibberish they speak when drunk and we amazingly understand eachother.

eggmayo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Oh, never heard of the stuff, but you should smoke some Lady Salvia....Can soak it for a tea too......Legal....Shamans use that stuff.....

OH, am I OT again....Nah...still am on...
Salvia is SHITE!
Jeez, noones heard of shrooms?

Darth Jello
thought i'd revive this thread with the general comment that bohemian absinth is crap

DRINK THE SWISS RECIPE!!!

lil bitchiness
Alright, time to bust those myths. Absinthe is a very high proof herbal alcohol that causes mildly psychotropic effects in a small percentage of people and is mostly legal in most parts of the world. Even in the united states, the laws pertaining to its sale are full of probablies. I personally love the stuff and find it to be a more mild and intelligent alternative to the vodka or weed which my college friends prefer. so what do you think?

As im sure its been pointed out many times before, its legal in Europe. England included.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Is this still the case?

Nope, does not apply anymore. At least not where I work. Its extremely expensive and people dont tend to buy it a lot.

AGWA is rather popular however. 40 grams of coca leaf per bottle. Its tasty too.

Darth Jello
Again, it's legality in the US is weird since you can own and drink it and technically, Sage has more thujone in it than wormwood.
Regardless, my point of restarting this thread was to warn people in the US who are ignorant of the difference to stay away from bohemian absinthe. If you're not sure and the bottle isn't labled as such, know that it's usually made in the Czech republic, it's usually spelled as "absinth", and that real absinthe should not be more than 57% alcohol by volume or 114 proof. Also, Hill's Absinth is all bohemian.
This is my official public service to stop the ignorant from drinking a mouth full of crap.

lil bitchiness
I worked at the perstigious resturant, and they sold absenthe which had 70% vol.

The one which is sold in the club is 65%, and extreamly expensive.

If you can't sell absenthe in the USA then technically it isn't totally legal. Its ''totally'' legal in bthe England, and Europe.

Eis
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I worked at the perstigious resturant, and they sold absenthe which had 70% vol.

If you can't sell absenthe in the USA then technically it isn't totally legal. Its ''totally'' legal in bthe England, and Europe.
And here in China as well... I don't get what's so great about absinthe though, it just gets you drunk... No special effect.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Eis
And here in China as well... I don't get what's so great about absinthe though, it just gets you drunk... No special effect.

Yeah, actually same here. It knocks the hell out of you, but no hallucinations.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Possession and consumption is legal. import, making, and selling is illegal

btw, have you guy's ever tried a hallucinating melon? It's insane

NineCoronas
Possession and consumption is legal. import, making, and selling is illegal

btw, have you guy's ever tried a hallucinating melon? It's insane messed How do you get it then?

Jonathan Mark
Originally posted by NineCoronas
messed How do you get it then?
Same way my friend gets his pot I assume.

NineCoronas
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
Same way my friend gets his pot I assume.

...point taken.

Darth Jello
well, as long as it's under 2.5 liters, customs doesn't seem to care

www.eabsinthe.com

Wonderer
Originally posted by debbiejo
Where do you buy this stuff...???

Never mind ..... saw the link...

You can buy the stuff here in any liquor store. Where the hell do you people live!?

I havn't tried it though, but I've read that Vincent van Gogh loved to drink it...and that he was insane!...but a great artist.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.