If you had the ability to erase any bands or artists from history, who would it be??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MovieMan22
I'd choose:

Green Day
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
My Chemical Romance
The Killers
Fall Out Boy
The Bravery
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Used
Ashlee Simpson
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Backstreet Boys
N*SYNC
Justin Timberlake
Aaron Carter
Jesse McCartney
The Spice Girls
William Hung
Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Fantasia Barroa
Hilary Duff
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Howie Day
Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Tyler Hilton
Keane
The All-American Rejects
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Sum 41
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Future Leaders Of The World
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Trapt
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
50 Cent
Usher
Ludacris
Nelly
Akon
J-Kwon
Master P
Lil' Jon
Common
Mike Jones
Nas
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
New Kids On The Block
Westlife
A-Teens
O-Town
Sinead O'Connor
Milli Vanilli
Annie Lennox

Lana
Green Day, The White Stripes, Slipknot, Sublime, and System Of A Down are all great.

Care to put any reasoning behind your choices?

-hh-
50 cent and G-Unit

completley trashed the Hip Hop culture no

MovieMan22
Originally posted by Lana
Green Day, The White Stripes, Slipknot, Sublime, and System Of A Down are all great.

Care to put any reasoning behind your choices?

Because their music sucks...

MovieMan22
Originally posted by -hh-
50 cent and G-Unit

completley trashed the Hip Hop culture no

Couldn't have said it better myself...

-hh-
Originally posted by MovieMan22
Because their music sucks... gotta disagree with System of a Down and Sublime. i like their music thumb up

WindDancer
All the boy bands and also Eminem and Mariah Carey....

*erase*

Lana
Because their music sucks...

That's not a reason.....why do you think they suck....

Krystaldragon
heck I would just erase the whole Rap and R'n'B Genres, no one needs em, heck, somtimes you cant even CALL it music.
come on you can't erase fall out boy!smile or like the first 6 you had up theresmile

MildPossession
None, I just don't listen to it, simple. But if I was in a shop and some rubbish came on, I would like to be able to click my fingers and then some music that is good will come on.

Krystaldragon
Originally posted by MildPossession
None, I just don't listen to it, simple. But if I was in a shop and some rubbish came on, I would like to be able to click my fingers and then some music that is good will come on.

very good point, I like ur thinkin

-hh-
Originally posted by Krystaldragon
heck I would just erase the whole Rap and R'n'B Genres, no one needs em, heck, somtimes you cant even CALL it music.
come on you can't erase fall out boy!smile or like the first 6 you had up theresmile laughing out loud he says erase the hip hop genre, but keep Fall Out Boy??? laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
The Libertines, specifically Pete Doherty.

-AC

golem370
How about ISCP and POD

exanda kane
Well as much as I like the Libertines, Pete would have to go. Also New Order should be erased, there nothing to Joy Division.

Alpha Centauri
Why would they have to go just because they're not as good as a previous band?

You have the biggest lack in logic I've ever seen.

-AC

Df02
don't think i'd erase any, music is expression and every band has had some minute influence on the whole development of music as a whole.

Afro Cheese
If there was no such thing as shitty music then how would we identify good music? Can't have ying without the yang..

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Df02
don't think i'd erase any, music is expression and every band has had some minute influence on the whole development of music as a whole.

Not only do I not agree with that claim but I think you'll find that Pete Doherty has done f*ck all.

-AC

exanda kane
New Order just dont hit it right (although Blue monday is a tune) and I just feel it takes alot of attention away from Joy Division, and simply Joy Division are way better. New Order live are a harrowing expreience, Joy Division would be a...joy.

And I can never quite understand what your actually on about AC.

Victor Von Doom
Afro Cheese is right. Bad music is necessary in a strange way.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Afro Cheese is right. Bad music is necessary in a strange way.

True.

amity75
Controversial choice But I'd love to see how modern music would be if The Beatles had never existed. Would it be better or worse? Would we all be sitting listening to Bing Crozby cover versions?

Alpha Centauri
I do find that an interesting concept. I sometimes wonder if that's the biggest miscredit of all time.

Saying "Music wouldn't be what it is if not for..." etc. I often wonder just how influential (or not) the legendary bands were.

-AC

Deathblow
I'd choose:

Green Day
The White Stripes
Korn
Slipknot
Sublime
System Of A Down
Master P
Common
Nas
Jay-Z
Ice Cube
Annie Lennox

You know very little. Aside from all the obvious crappy pop artists you listed, all of the above have had positive effects on music (although most had bad too, you have to take both or neither).

You've obviously know nothing about hip-hop, otherwise you wouldn't have put the lyrical genius that is Nas in there, nor the hugely inspirational Jay-Z, Ice Cube and Master P, without whom much of today's rich indie rap scene wouldn't exist.

How anyone can have anything against Common and SOAD is beyond me. Fair enough if you don't like their music, but if you don't appreciate the fact that they both spread intelligent and original subject matter into the jaded mainstream, you're just a bitter fool.

MC_GG
I'd erase all the bands/artists of all the genres except for Techno artists/bands

amity75
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I do find that an interesting concept. I sometimes wonder if that's the biggest miscredit of all time.

Saying "Music wouldn't be what it is if not for..." etc. I often wonder just how influential (or not) the legendary bands were.

-AC Yep, Imagine if The Beatles had gotten into jazz in their later years. Would popular music now be dominated by this genre?

StinkFist462
ICP (and all those other Juggalo/Juggalette bands/groups whatever)
Fall Out Boy
Linkin Park (seriously, what good have they done?)
The Darkness (cheesy overrated re-hash band)
Kid Rock (no explanation needed.)
Limp Bizkit (no explanation needed.)

and countless bands MTV has raped in the years.

exanda kane

StinkFist462

exanda kane
The answer lies within you my friend...

Oh hell, just read the posts laughing

stunna1773
hh u like system of a down i never hear someone like u say that i was asuming u only like rap and hip hop

exanda kane
Ok lets clear this up. I have no idea what your on about btw.
System of a Down?

If there was just the music you liked (in my case indie, alternative and metal) then I would get bored and look for something new and different. Now thats all a bit obvious but there you have it.

I dislike the music, the marketing used (although ingenious), the values of McFly. And because of that I like to look at the opposite side of the spectrum that's different.

So I find a nice group of bands that i agree with and just complain about how much airplay and publicity a "band" llike McFly gets, when I dont actualy want "my" band to be loved by a bunch of misguided pre-teens.

meh

-hh-
Originally posted by StinkFist462
ICP (and all those other Juggalo/Juggalette bands/groups whatever)
Fall Out Boy
Linkin Park (seriously, what good have they done?)
The Darkness (cheesy overrated re-hash band)
Kid Rock (no explanation needed.)
Limp Bizkit (no explanation needed.)

and countless bands MTV has raped in the years. as much as i hate Kid Rock and his music, his ability to DJ is great thumb up

JacopeX
I'd choose:

Green Day
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
My Chemical Romance
The Killers
Fall Out Boy
The Bravery
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Used
Ashlee Simpson
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Backstreet Boys
N*SYNC
Justin Timberlake
Aaron Carter
Jesse McCartney
The Spice Girls
William Hung
Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Fantasia Barroa
Hilary Duff
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Howie Day
Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Tyler Hilton
Keane
The All-American Rejects
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Sum 41
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Trapt
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
50 Cent
Usher
Ludacris
Nelly
Akon
J-Kwon
Master P
Lil' Jon
Common
Mike Jones
Nas
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
New Kids On The Block
Westlife
A-Teens
O-Town
Sinead O'Connor
Milli Vanilli
Annie Lennox

WUT!!!

Jay-Z
Snoop dogg
Akon
ludacris

you crazy!

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Deathblow
You know very little. Aside from all the obvious crappy pop artists you listed, all of the above have had positive effects on music (although most had bad too, you have to take both or neither).

You've obviously know nothing about hip-hop, otherwise you wouldn't have put the lyrical genius that is Nas in there, nor the hugely inspirational Jay-Z, Ice Cube and Master P, without whom much of today's rich indie rap scene wouldn't exist.

How anyone can have anything against Common and SOAD is beyond me. Fair enough if you don't like their music, but if you don't appreciate the fact that they both spread intelligent and original subject matter into the jaded mainstream, you're just a bitter fool. You like Master P?

koolruningz
I'd choose:

Common
Ice Cube

shocking Why these two artists? I know alot of others are being questioned but i'll stick to the genre that i know best. Have you ever listened to their music?

My choices would be the myriad of boy bands, girl bands and the pop idol showcase in general.

Ladyluck
I'd choose:

Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Fall Out Boy
The White Stripes
Christina Aguilera
John Mayer
Avenged Sevenfold
Korn
Slipknot
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
Nas
Jay-Z
Sinead O'Connor

Seriously, what is wrong with these artists/bands?

Pointinel
LOL @ THREAD

yall some funny dudes

Pointinel
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
You like Master P?

actually P held it down until 'ungggh' and the 'ice cream man' era

then no limit soldiers grips the industry and thats where p starts to fall off

yes

there was a time when master p was good

Darth Jello
i'd get rid of axl rose, skrewdriver, creed, blink 182, good charllotte, antinowhere league, pearl jam, and every other band who's music makes me want to mow the lawn or wipe my butt.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Pointinel

yes

there was a time when master p was good News to me. Recommend some songs so I can see for myself.

Phat J
probably 50 cent, but if it wasnt him it'd just be someone else in his place so i dont really care.

fuct_up_kid
Originally posted by Krystaldragon
come on you can't erase fall out boy!smile or like the first 6 you had up theresmile

0_o
I'd probably erase Fall Out Boy. I don't even hate them that much, I just can't stand 90% of their fans.

Mišt
Simple Plan.

We dont need your whiny 'my life sucks and Im gonna force you to listen to how bad it was while making you feel like you can relate' songs.

And quite a few of the bands listed in the first post have influenced current music. Erasing them would erase half of todays music. Its like, why dont we pretend the wars never existed? Because it taught us various things in life we cant and shouldnt forget.

MovieMan22
Originally posted by -hh-
laughing out loud he says erase the hip hop genre, but keep Fall Out Boy??? laughing out loud

Now THAT is funny laughing laughing laughing ....

MovieMan22
Originally posted by Ladyluck
Seriously, what is wrong with these artists/bands?

Their music sucks.....

Mišt
Noooo no no.....theyre written well, theyre performed well, they sell well. Most are original.

If you take some Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera/Jessica Simpson/Blonde of the month, they dont write their music, they dont perform their music (stupid idiots mime), they dont live their music. They are only marketing bimbos.

Bands have talent. They dont suck. When you listen to a song, what are you listening for? If I take...*checks playlist*..System of a Down - Hypnotize, what am I listening for? Im listening to each instrument, how it's used, how they interact with the other instruments, the vocals, how the vocals interact with the instruments, the actual lyrics themselves and it all works well, hence they dont suck.

Alpha Centauri
Well in her defense, Christina Aguilera does have a really good singing voice. Put the music she produces out of your mind, whether you love or hate it, and just concentrate on her ACTUAL vocal technique and she is good. She has a natural ability where as Jessica Simpson has a voice any girl could achieve with enough practice and Britney Spears is just mega-shit.

-AC

Revernd Maynard
I'd choose:

Green Day
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
My Chemical Romance
The Killers
Fall Out Boy
The Bravery
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Used
Ashlee Simpson
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Backstreet Boys
N*SYNC
Justin Timberlake
Aaron Carter
Jesse McCartney
The Spice Girls
William Hung
Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Fantasia Barroa
Hilary Duff
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Howie Day
Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Tyler Hilton
Keane
The All-American Rejects
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Sum 41
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Trapt
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
50 Cent
Usher
Ludacris
Nelly
Akon
J-Kwon
Master P
Lil' Jon
Common
Mike Jones
Nas
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
New Kids On The Block
Westlife
A-Teens
O-Town
Sinead O'Connor
Milli Vanilli
Annie Lennox Pretty much your whole list is spot on for me yes

Alpha Centauri
I don't get why people are saying System of a Down.

-AC

Lana
Their music sucks.....

You still have yet to explain why they suck. Simply saying they suck is not a reason.

-AC

Being as they're easily one of the best bands around today, I don't get it either.

exanda kane
Ive kinda gone off System, but doesnt mean i dislike them. We need bands like System!

Slay
Coldplay...everyone is acting like they're the greatest band ever...but they suck...I mean in Holland,we have a Top 2000's and a Top 1000 at the end of the year..you know with the best songs ever...
The Top 2000 top 3 is: 1.Bohemian Raphsody
2.Child in Time
3.Hotel California (not that i don't agree on that one...)
Then you have the much younger Top 1000 which has:
1.November Rain
2.Bohemian Raphsody
3.Clocks (!!!)
as the best 3....
(They're on different radio stations,btw)

-hh-

-AC most of the SOAD hate i've read from other forums are:

1. The lyrics don't appeal to many people
2. They stole their image (or some shit like that)
3. They stole riffs from Mike Patton or something like that i've read
4. They are Armenian

Alpha Centauri
1. So go read poetry and stay away from music.

2. I'd ask them to name another band who look or act like SoaD enough to say they stole it.

3. They didn't really steal. Serj arguably based his singing style on that of a Patton's from a particular FNM album.

4. Exactly. Who would have expected Armenia to produce one of the best bands ever?

-AC

-hh-
1. So go read poetry and stay away from music.

2. I'd ask them to name another band who look or act like SoaD enough to say they stole it.

3. They didn't really steal. Serj arguably based his singing style on that of a Patton's from a particular FNM album.

4. Exactly. Who would have expected Armenia to produce one of the best bands ever?

-AC thumbup

exactly.

for #2.

some guy was saying they sound too much like RATM

but i dont see how they "sound" the same...

exanda kane
Hmm like RATM. I find that hard to even conjure up a resemblence.

Silverstein
I'd choose:

Green Day
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
My Chemical Romance
The Killers
Fall Out Boy
The Bravery
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Used
Ashlee Simpson
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Backstreet Boys
N*SYNC
Justin Timberlake
Aaron Carter
Jesse McCartney
The Spice Girls
William Hung
Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Fantasia Barroa
Hilary Duff
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Howie Day
Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Tyler Hilton
Keane
The All-American Rejects
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Sum 41
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Trapt
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
50 Cent
Usher
Ludacris
Nelly
Akon
J-Kwon
Master P
Lil' Jon
Common
Mike Jones
Nas
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
New Kids On The Block
Westlife
A-Teens
O-Town
Sinead O'Connor
Milli Vanilli
Annie Lennox

i would also want to erase those people off the earth as well. cool definately system of a down, erg. Trapt didnt need to be erased they died already. and i like the used...when they werent mainstream...good charlotte=posers.

-hh-
why does SOAD get so much hate?^

Mišt
Non believersdisgust

Phat J
i dont hate them, but i dont really enjoy their music. someone was tellin me today that they sort of sold out. their new single is like "lets go party and have a real good time". i do like parts of their songs, but im not a big fan of the singer. i can see how people like them though.

Pezmerga
I'd choose:

The White Stripes
Christina Aguilera
Korn
Sublime
System Of A Down
Ludacris
Master P
Snoop Dogg
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
Annie Lennox

I only like Sublime, Korn, The White Stripes, and Snoop out of this list, but I don't see how you'd wanna erase any of them. Even if you dislike all of them, you can't just discredit them by saying they all suck and have no talent. It just isn't true.

I Only want to erase a particular album. With Teeth by NIN....A Huge Disappointment.

Alpha Centauri
People should stop saying System just because you don't like them "that much". That's no need to erase them from history.

Originally posted by Phat J
i dont hate them, but i dont really enjoy their music. someone was tellin me today that they sort of sold out. their new single is like "lets go party and have a real good time". i do like parts of their songs, but im not a big fan of the singer. i can see how people like them though.

Whoever told you that is obviously oblivious to what the deeper meaning to the song is. Only stupid people think they sold out.

-AC

Phat J
People should stop saying System just because you don't like them "that much". That's no need to erase them from history.

Whoever told you that is obviously oblivious to what the deeper meaning to the song is. Only stupid people think they sold out.

-AC

i was just puttin my 2 cents in, i dont think they should be erased from history.

care to elaborate?

Alpha Centauri
Elaborate on?

"Everybody's going to the party, have a real good time" is a lyric that applies to the war in Iraq. Guitarist/songwriter Daron Malakian thought it up after seeing an advertisement for the US Army, in which it stated that you'd meet great friends and have a great time.

-AC

Bierbommetje
Originally posted by Slay
Coldplay...everyone is acting like they're the greatest band ever...but they suck...I mean in Holland,we have a Top 2000's and a Top 1000 at the end of the year..you know with the best songs ever...
The Top 2000 top 3 is: 1.Bohemian Raphsody
2.Child in Time
3.Hotel California (not that i don't agree on that one...)
Then you have the much younger Top 1000 which has:
1.November Rain
2.Bohemian Raphsody
3.Clocks (!!!)
as the best 3....
(They're on different radio stations,btw)

Actually, I heard that Avond by Boudewijn de Groot is number one at the moment, and rightfully so smile

Lana
Originally posted by Phat J

Hahaha. SOAD sold out. Why don't you stop listening to your seemingly ignorant friend and actually look up the lyrics and see what the song is really about?

FFS.

Afro Cheese
It does have quite a catchy mainstream sound though, doesn't it? I mean I know that writing about Irag sorta gives them a "free pass" to make the song poppy but how is it any better than that "American Idiot" song? I don't think I'd call it selling out.. but there music definitely has changed.. and in my opinion not for the better.

Lana
I wouldn't say they've really changed, and I'd say that I like Mesmerize and Hypnotize better than I like their other albums. They've always been into politics and such, so them doing a song about Iraq isn't the same as Green Day doing American Idiot - since when has Green Day ever had a political song before? Never that I can remember.

Alpha Centauri
Lana, I already gave him/her the explanation of the song. No need to reiterate it.

It does have quite a catchy mainstream sound though, doesn't it? I mean I know that writing about Irag sorta gives them a "free pass" to make the song poppy but how is it any better than that "American Idiot" song? I don't think I'd call it selling out.. but there music definitely has changed.. and in my opinion not for the better.

They have changed, and it is for the better. They're much better now than they have ever been. They're way more inventive. The dynamics of the songs are much better now. Toxicity was great but it was essentially more of the same from the debut. Mezmerize and Hypnotize are completely new for them more or less.

It's not a mainstream song, it's a catchy song. Their debut had "catchy" songs. To claim that B.Y.O.B is poppy is ridiculous. Catchy doesn't equate to poppy. How does it make it better than American Idiot? Do you even listen to System of a Down? To be fair, if you can't tell why it's any better upon listening to both bands, then I really don't know how much more blatant it can be made.

System of a Down are much more politically active and intelligent than Green Day or most other bands ever besides Rage.

-AC

Lana
stick out tongue so sue me then.

I agree with what you say about their albums. With Mesmerize and Hypnotize they really started to vary their sounds....I still wouldn't say so much that their sound has changed, because their new stuff is still very recognizably System.

Afro Cheese
They have changed, and it is for the better. They're much better now than they have ever been. They're way more inventive. The dynamics of the songs are much better now. Toxicity was great but it was essentially more of the same from the debut. Mezmerize and Hypnotize are completely new for them more or less.

It's not a mainstream song, it's a catchy song. Their debut had "catchy" songs. To claim that B.Y.O.B is poppy is ridiculous. Catchy doesn't equate to poppy. How does it make it better than American Idiot? Do you even listen to System of a Down? To be fair, if you can't tell why it's any better upon listening to both bands, then I really don't know how much more blatant it can be made.

System of a Down are much more politically active and intelligent than Green Day or most other bands ever besides Rage.

-AC I liked Mezmerize at first but it really had little replay value to me.. that's why I didn't even bother with Hypnotize. Cause I listened to it a couple times and felt like I was done with it.. it was just a waste of money to me. I'll agree if you wanna say they're "more inventive" now cause their music is more varied now while before they sorta had a style that they stuck to for most if not all of their songs.. but I liked their style. That was the main reason I even listened to them.. I liked their sound.

BYOB is very poppy. What is pop music? It's catchy, popular music is it not? Doesn't BYOB fit this description? Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.. BYOB is not why I don't really take kindly to their new stuff.. but it is indeed a pop song.

And the fact that they always write about politics doesn't really make a difference to me. Iraq is a cliche subject and they didn't say anything that doesn't get said at every anti-war protest around the world.. their political history doesn't make the song any better. It's just like when everyone wrote songs about Katrina. Public Enemy was among that list of rappers.. does the fact that they've been writing about politics for nearly two decades change the fact that they essentially jumped on the bandwagon by making a song about Katrina without saying anything that hasn't been said? No.. it doesn't.

Alpha Centauri
I liked Mezmerize at first but it really had little replay value to me.. that's why I didn't even bother with Hypnotize. Cause I listened to it a couple times and felt like I was done with it.. it was just a waste of money to me. I'll agree if you wanna say they're "more inventive" now cause their music is more varied now while before they sorta had a style that they stuck to for most if not all of their songs.. but I liked their style. That was the main reason I even listened to them.. I liked their sound.

I think Hypnotize is by far their best album and Mezmerize is the album I replayed the most this year, but to each their own.

BYOB is very poppy. What is pop music? It's catchy, popular music is it not? Doesn't BYOB fit this description? Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.. BYOB is not why I don't really take kindly to their new stuff.. but it is indeed a pop song.

"Pop" elements within it, yes. It's not a pop song. The overall goal and achievement both musical and lyrical proves that it's not a pop song. It has pop sensibilites, but it's by no means a pop song. It's still a metal song, already being hailed as one of the greatest for a long time.

And the fact that they always write about politics doesn't really make a difference to me. Iraq is a cliche subject and they didn't say anything that doesn't get said at every anti-war protest around the world.. their political history doesn't make the song any better. It's just like when everyone wrote songs about Katrina. Public Enemy was among that list of rappers.. does the fact that they've been writing about politics for nearly two decades change the fact that they essentially jumped on the bandwagon by making a song about Katrina without saying anything that hasn't been said? No.. it doesn't.

You asked what the difference was between American Idiot and B.Y.O.B, didn't you? I told you. Case closed.

American Idiot was about people being controlled by TV and the general annoyance Billie Joe had with the Bush Admin. B.Y.O.B is nothing close to as trivial. To suggest System are political equals of Green Day is rather...wrong. You only need listen to all the songs they did way before the Iraq war even occured.

Either way, why should they NOT write about a subject they have the intelligence to speak on, just because many idiots are making it THE cool thing to rebel against? If you can't tell the difference between the true political figures and bands in rock music then that pretty much says it all.

-AC

Afro Cheese
"Pop" elements within it, yes. It's not a pop song. The overall goal and achievement both musical and lyrical proves that it's not a pop song. It has pop sensibilites, but it's by no means a pop song. It's still a metal song, already being hailed as one of the greatest for a long time.So you think that whether a song is pop is determined by the artist's motivation and not the actual music? Well then, how the hell do we really know their "goal?"

Well they can write about whatever they want. But if they're going to pick a cliche subject then they take on the burden that it's already been done to death and it's their responsibility to approach it from a new angle that hasn't been explored yet to reinstall a sense of originality. If they don't do so, fine, but I'm not going to pretend they said something interesting or meaningful just cause I like the group that said it.

Alpha Centauri
So you think that whether a song is pop is determined by the artist's motivation and not the actual music? Well then, how the hell do we really know their "goal?"

No not always, but in this case the only thing that the song has going for it in the "pop" sense is the catchiness of it. It has pop elements but it's not a pop song. To claim so would be to claim it has more pop sound than rock or metal, which it doesn't.

Well they can write about whatever they want. But if they're going to pick a cliche subject then they take on the burden that it's already been done to death and it's their responsibility to approach it from a new angle that hasn't been explored yet to reinstall a sense of originality. If they don't do so, fine, but I'm not going to pretend they said something interesting or meaningful just cause I like the group that said it.

I'm not going to pretend either, but I also recognise who can actually back up what they say in their songs and who can't. System can. Serj is heavily involved in politics when he's not making music, Billie Joe isn't, Eminem isn't. So whilst I'm not going to pretend they said something ultra meaningful, I'm not gonna deprive them of the right to be hailed for social commentary just because there are mugs doing it wrong.

As for your originality part, how many other songs sound like B.Y.O.B? 50? 10? None?

-AC

Afro Cheese
No not always, but in this case the only thing that the song has going for it in the "pop" sense is the catchiness of it. It has pop elements but it's not a pop song. To claim so would be to claim it has more pop sound than rock or metal, which it doesn't.Well I have sorta a broad definition of what pop is. I think a song can be pop and be metal or rock or rap at the same time, as I don't really think pop is an actual genre just just a certain type of music that appears at the surface of every genre. The Beatles were pop. The Beastie Boys were pop. Prince is pop. As far as I'm concerned it's not restricted by genre.

Alright that's true, but that doesn't really make the actual lyrics of the song any better to me. It makes me take the band more serious, but does nothing for my listening experience.

"Sound like" as in the music? None that I can think of. I was arguing that the lyrical content is cliche, not that the song itself is not original. I don't care for BYOB's general sound, but I can't think of any specific songs that sound the same. Though to me it sounds like a typical pop song melody wise.. it just seems more rock-ish cause the melody is made with heavy guitars.

Alpha Centauri
Well I have sorta a broad definition of what pop is. I think a song can be pop and be metal or rock or rap at the same time, as I don't really think pop is an actual genre just just a certain type of music that appears at the surface of every genre. The Beatles were pop. The Beastie Boys were pop. Prince is pop. As far as I'm concerned it's not restricted by genre.

Pop has always been a genre. To me, real pop is Michael Jackson, The Supremes etc. Prince is also arguably more rock than pop.

Alright that's true, but that doesn't really make the actual lyrics of the song any better to me. It makes me take the band more serious, but does nothing for my listening experience.

This was never a problem. It does for you what it does for you.

"Sound like" as in the music? None that I can think of. I was arguing that the lyrical content is cliche, not that the song itself is not original. I don't care for BYOB's general sound, but I can't think of any specific songs that sound the same. Though to me it sounds like a typical pop song melody wise.. it just seems more rock-ish cause the melody is made with heavy guitars.

There's nothing typical about the way B.Y.O.B is constructed but we're talking about music, not technique.

So what is it you're arguing? First you say that they should put an original spin on cliched stuff if they're gonna do it, so I prove they have and you retort with "the song is original but the lyrics are cliche".

-AC

Afro Cheese
So what is it you're arguing? First you say that they should put an original spin on cliched stuff if they're gonna do it, so I prove they have and you retort with "the song is original but the lyrics are cliche".

-AC I didn't just say "put an original spin on it," I said if they want to touch on such a cliche subject they should approach it from a new angle. As in, when writing the lyrics on the cliche subject. The music was never in question as far as being cliche.. so how does original sounding music make the lyrics any less cliche? I know you don't think lyrics matter.. but this whole thing did sorta spawn from a discussion on "what BYOB is really about."

exanda kane
I dont think SOAD are that much of a big deal anymore. Musical opinion has moved on...

Thats not too say they cant bring a decent tune, just everything in the usual spectrum of metal has been condensed into this 'emo' (which lets face it, isnt even emo) fad and SOAD were too far away from what everyone else was doing to join in, which is good and bad at the same time.

Alpha Centauri
I didn't just say "put an original spin on it," I said if they want to touch on such a cliche subject they should approach it from a new angle. As in, when writing the lyrics on the cliche subject. The music was never in question as far as being cliche.. so how does original sounding music make the lyrics any less cliche? I know you don't think lyrics matter.. but this whole thing did sorta spawn from a discussion on "what BYOB is really about."

It didn't. Some idiot decided to call them sellouts because he/she didn't get what they were saying and therefore misinformed their friend (the poster here) that they were some kind of commercial sellout.

It's not cliche to write about the Iraq war anyway per se. It just became a popular thing to do to get noticed. It's not gonna last forever and System can still do it musically better than almost anyone. Lyrically I don't care if they say something about the Iraq war that someone else is saying. Why? Because I know THEY know what they're on about.

Either way, B.Y.O.B's lyrics aren't cliche. Nor is the meaning. It just happens to be connected to the Iraq war, it's not exclusively about it.

Originally posted by exanda kane
I dont think SOAD are that much of a big deal anymore. Musical opinion has moved on...

Thats not too say they cant bring a decent tune, just everything in the usual spectrum of metal has been condensed into this 'emo' (which lets face it, isnt even emo) fad and SOAD were too far away from what everyone else was doing to join in, which is good and bad at the same time.

"It's better to let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

SoaD are one of the best, most talented and able bands on the planet today. They're about as big a deal as it can get. They're also a rare band in that they are critically acclaimed in the mainstream but also a genuinely awesome band who don't suck.

Not everything in metal has been condensed into emo. Stop talking, please. For your own good. You are genuinely clueless. Why are you saying it's bad and good that System were miles away from everyone else? It's good. Nothing bad about it.

It seems like you can't decide whether you want bands to be unique or all clones of each other.

-AC

exanda kane
It didn't. Some idiot decided to call them sellouts because he/she didn't get what they were saying and therefore misinformed their friend (the poster here) that they were some kind of commercial sellout.

It's not cliche to write about the Iraq war anyway per se. It just became a popular thing to do to get noticed. It's not gonna last forever and System can still do it musically better than almost anyone. Lyrically I don't care if they say something about the Iraq war that someone else is saying. Why? Because I know THEY know what they're on about.

Either way, B.Y.O.B's lyrics aren't cliche. Nor is the meaning. It just happens to be connected to the Iraq war, it's not exclusively about it.

"It's better to let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

SoaD are one of the best, most talented and able bands on the planet today. They're about as big a deal as it can get. They're also a rare band in that they are critically acclaimed in the mainstream but also a genuinely awesome band who don't suck.

Not everything in metal has been condensed into emo. Stop talking, please. For your own good. You are genuinely clueless. Why are you saying it's bad and good that System were miles away from everyone else? It's good. Nothing bad about it.

It seems like you can't decide whether you want bands to be unique or all clones of each other.

-AC

I'm sorry A.C but you are a complete clueless dickhead. Your not even in touch with what is happening atm. And you dont read the posts correctly. You just go galavanting off, shoving your opinions, most of which are pathetic at everyone else.

SOAD arent the huge thing they were 3 years ago, you dont see the lil' mini moshers wearing SOAD hoodies anymore (well thank god, there dress sense was awful), yes they are a great band dont get me wrong, and most likely they will not be forgotten but its pointless saying there still the biggest metal band on the planet.

And yes its good that SOAD remained where they are, removed from everything else, but it's also given them less credit than they deserve.

Alpha Centauri
I'm sorry A.C but you are a complete clueless dickhead. Your not even in touch with what is happening atm. And you dont read the posts correctly. You just go galavanting off, shoving your opinions, most of which are pathetic at everyone else.

SOAD arent the huge thing they were 3 years ago, you dont see the lil' mini moshers wearing SOAD hoodies anymore (well thank god, there dress sense was awful), yes they are a great band dont get me wrong, and most likely they will not be forgotten but its pointless saying there still the biggest metal band on the planet.

The endlessly funny thing about you, although it's not actually funny, is that you have THE single worst view on what makes a band great. You seem to believe that popularity actually reflects greatness. Biggest doesn't mean best. Regardless of whether they are as big now or not, they're musically better than they've ever been, which is what matters. It doesn't matter how many people like them.

You care more about being "in touch" with the "cool" opinion. Why? I don't know. Oh yes, I do. It's because you're a sheep.

And yes its good that SOAD remained where they are, removed from everything else, but it's also given them less credit than they deserve.

They get all the credit they deserve.

Oh yes, you mean they're not plastered all over TV? Doesn't mean shit, kid. Learn things before you try to debate with me please.

It's painful to read your posts. Embarassing.

-AC

exanda kane
Not at all embarrasing I assure you. Fact is that you got out of me a half-arsed opinion on somthing I don't really have any views on in the first place. Radiohead just don't cut it as Legendary.

I first said that i think you all love Radiohead too much, you declared them instantly Legendary because you couldn't understand a fellow fan not haring that view.

No your wrong about me, I'm no sheep. I have purely said what many people think, I have not said that I dont think SOAD are good or out of touch, or I have said what a general concensus is from people i know.

And SOAD dont get much credit anymore, hell there not even mentioned in public.

So kid, I recommend you stop trying to be different and look at other peoples opinions. Arrogance and subterfuge do not help. And why do you make all your posts so personal? Is that your method when you dont actually have the capacity to deal with the friendly criticism of bands you like? To try and discredit people? You may act intelligent and you sure as hell don't give anything away, but your actually just unhappy with your life.

Alpha Centauri
Not at all embarrasing I assure you. Fact is that you got out of me a half-arsed opinion on somthing I don't really have any views on in the first place. Radiohead just don't cut it as Legendary.

I first said that i think you all love Radiohead too much, you declared them instantly Legendary because you couldn't understand a fellow fan not haring that view.

Well seeing as me and multiple others have already whooped your "Radiohead aren't legendary" argument out into the open ocean, I'm gonna just laugh that off.

I've said to you many times, I don't care if you don't think they're legendary. They are though, are you clear on this? Stop being an idiot.

No your wrong about me, I'm no sheep. I have purely said what many people think, I have not said that I dont think SOAD are good or out of touch, or I have said what a general concensus is from people i know.

Well then that's something to say about the people you know isn't it? Because that's a horrifically inaccurate analysis of the development of the band in question.

And SOAD dont get much credit anymore, hell there not even mentioned in public.

See what I mean with you? Being mentioned in public doesn't matter. It doesn't matter one bit. Public praise doesn't make talent. Some of the best bands in the world are more or less unknown by the general public.

"SoaD don't get credit because they're not mentioned in public." Holy crap. Get some logic boy. Though it's obvious now why you hold the opinions you do. If you aren't massively mentioned in public, you're not getting credit or legendary.

So kid, I recommend you stop trying to be different and look at other peoples opinions. Arrogance and subterfuge do not help. And why do you make all your posts so personal? Is that your method when you dont actually have the capacity to deal with the friendly criticism of bands you like? To try and discredit people? You may act intelligent and you sure as hell don't give anything away, but your actually just unhappy with your life.

Oh dear. I don't even know where to start with this.

I don't care who or what you criticise. If you're right, you're right. Though you haven't been "right" in any of our encounters and the only thing stopping you from conceding is your sheer idiocy and short-term memory.

You say one thing, go back on it, then say it again. All the while trying to skydive into a pile of logic and missing.

-AC

Lana
I think that maybe you should spend less time caring about other people's opinions and think for yourself....better to be different and think for yourself than to base everything off what everyone else thinks and conforming.

exanda kane
Hey A.C, your a prick ok. Stop whoring these forums and get a life.

Alpha Centauri
Stop being bitter, you caught a whooping.

Shit happens, move on.

-AC

exanda kane
I spose you could say bitter. I gave my opinion earlier expecting there to be some normal people around, yet i find a bunch of little gremlins who listen to Radiohead too much under the hoovering of their mothers vacuum above the basement they live in.

Alpha Centauri
Let's make a deal, yes?

I'll listen to Radiohead "too much" and you can diss me for it. You listen to Fightstar and Lostprophets and we'll see how comes out looking worse smile.

-AC

exanda kane
well I'm sorry but based on both Lostprophets and Fightstar's aesthetic looks and styles (less Charlie, withh those eyebrows), your gonna come out rather ugly.

Alpha Centauri
Haha, quite funny. Must admit.

Anyway, you're done. Was good though.

-AC

exanda kane
Well it looks like your done aswell. Unless you have any more personal posts to get through...

So you can just go along listening while SOAD travel out of recollection while I'll just try not to get to attached. Btw if there last album worth picking up? I mean I havnt seen them live since the album before came out so i have little clue.

Alpha Centauri
I think their most recent album is their best yet, personally.

-AC

exanda kane
Well as I'm kind of detecting a pattern in the reason you like certain bands I'll give it a miss.

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha, sure thing.

-AC

tabby999
i really like lostprophets *looks at shoes*

but i do agree with AC, the new SOAD is probably my favourite of all their cds, people went into the split cd expecting another Toxicity and got upset when it didn't happen. oh well, the band are progressing beautifully

exanda kane
I can't say much about their new stuff because the last album I bought from them was Toxicity, but I heard mixed things about Steal This Album and the rest. There's just not as much publicity for them, however lack of publicity doesnt mean that there rubbish, nor does it imply I mean that.

Alpha Centauri
You imply it means that they can't be called certain things, legendary being one.

Legendary status isn't dictated by popular knowledge.

Steal This Album, whilst great, was a collection of unused songs.

-AC

exanda kane
What are you on about now? Your head is way up in the clouds kid. Do you have problems at home?

I mean i've just conformed to your view but you feel the need to segregate yourself.

Of course Steal This Album was a collection of unused songs, we don't need things handprinted in basic sentences to make sense like you it seems.

And most of all, I don't care what your on about because you are really just laughable but your attitude sure is annoying. Just calm down. Relax. Do not worry. These people are good people. You should not feel the need to attack them. You are safe.

Alpha Centauri
What are you on about now? Your head is way up in the clouds kid. Do you have problems at home?

I mean i've just conformed to your view but you feel the need to segregate yourself.

Yes, and my head is in the clouds isn't it? Because what you just said made 100% sense. Some people...

I'm "on about" you claiming that lack of publicity doesn't make a band rubbish. Of course it doesn't. You are the one who constantly cites lack of publicity as a minus.

Of course Steal This Album was a collection of unused songs, we don't need things handprinted in basic sentences to make sense like you it seems.

Well then why judge the band on that material? If you're aware it's just a collection of unused songs from a certain era, why judge their current material on that?

And most of all, I don't care what your on about because you are really just laughable but your attitude sure is annoying. Just calm down. Relax. Do not worry. These people are good people. You should not feel the need to attack them. You are safe.

You're the one who managed one paragraph of relevancy in that whole post, junior.

It's "You're". "You're". Please learn this before replying. Simple request.

-AC

exanda kane
I'm not even reading your reply because you really have nothing to tell people and your opinions have the intelligence of a slightly rebellious teaspoon. All you've done is add a few idiotic remarks under mine and your just arguing for the sake of it.

Now go way gremlin.

-hh-
Yes, and my head is in the clouds isn't it? Because what you just said made 100% sense. Some people...

I'm "on about" you claiming that lack of publicity doesn't make a band rubbish. Of course it doesn't. You are the one who constantly cites lack of publicity as a minus.

Well then why judge the band on that material? If you're aware it's just a collection of unused songs from a certain era, why judge their current material on that?

You're the one who managed one paragraph of relevancy in that whole post, junior.

It's "You're". "You're". Please learn this before replying. Simple request.

-AC not to be off topic, but nice sig droolio

Snoopbert
50 cent.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not even reading your reply because you really have nothing to tell people and your opinions have the intelligence of a slightly rebellious teaspoon. All you've done is add a few idiotic remarks under mine and your just arguing for the sake of it.

Now go way gremlin.

When are you actually going to realise that me questioning your musical opinion is always going to be relevant? It's a music forum.

Don't come here if you don't like it. Don't reply if it's not to a post of mine. Good? Right on.

Points of the teaspoon remark, quite funny.

-AC

exanda kane
When are you actually going to realise that me questioning your musical opinion is always going to be relevant? It's a music forum.

Don't come here if you don't like it. Don't reply if it's not to a post of mine. Good? Right on.

Points of the teaspoon remark, quite funny.

-AC

I'm going to realise it when you have the politeness to respect other peoples opinions instead of assume that you have the greatest musical taste and everybody elses does not mattter.

And no, its not funny at all, I was wrong you're too conservative for any rebellious thought whatsoever.

Alpha Centauri
That's you making the assumption that I think that, not me saying it. When you realise this, we'll talk. Well, we won't, but you get the picture.

Yes, it was funny. Points for it.

-AC

exanda kane
Meh, your arrogance bores me

BackFire
The Beatles.

Lana
I would have to say Avril Lavigne myself. Stupid talentless b!tch who destroys actual good songs with her god-awful covers.

Alpha Centauri
I wouldn't say she destroys the good songs, but I do agree with you on all other counts.

Her cover of Chop Suey is absolutely dreadful.

-AC

Lana
That cover made me cringe.

RedAlertv2
same here.

Alpha Centauri
I remember when I mentioned that cover in a very, very old thread. Nobody had heard it at the time.

I remember ArachnoidFreak and I think, Darth Revan saying they didn't believe me. Then went and downloaded it and proceeded to blame me for making them aware.

-AC

BackFire
Goes to show you, in some cases ignorance is better the knowledge.

Alpha Centauri
I do semi-wish I'd never heard Evanescence's cover of Heart Shaped Box, but it made me laugh. Also their cover of Orestes.

The fact that she thought "I can sing like Maynard" is always hilarious to me.

-AC

BackFire
Yeah, every lead singer has their speciality. Maynard specializes in having a good singing voice and writing good lyrics with great quality music.

Evanescene's speciality is looking sad and wearing a bunch of makeup.

Alpha Centauri
I think even SHE knew better than to cover Tool. I think anybody would. Unless of course it was a band of similar (but different) levelled talent eg: Radiohead, Opeth, *Insert Patton band* (although the latter isn't similar to anyone, but way more than able). At least you know they would try to do it absolutely differently.

She's awful. Truly.

-AC

Lana
I do semi-wish I'd never heard Evanescence's cover of Heart Shaped Box, but it made me laugh. Also their cover of Orestes.

The fact that she thought "I can sing like Maynard" is always hilarious to me.

-AC

Those were equally cringe-worthy....

Darth Revan
I'd choose:

Green Day
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
My Chemical Romance
The Killers
Fall Out Boy
The Bravery
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Used
Ashlee Simpson
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Kelly Clarkson
Backstreet Boys
N*SYNC
Justin Timberlake
Aaron Carter
Jesse McCartney
The Spice Girls
William Hung
Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Fantasia Barroa
Hilary Duff
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Howie Day
Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Tyler Hilton
Keane
The All-American Rejects
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Sum 41
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Trapt
Breaking Benjamin
Sublime
System Of A Down
50 Cent
Usher
Ludacris
Nelly
Akon
J-Kwon
Master P
Lil' Jon
Common
Mike Jones
Nas
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Ice Cube
New Kids On The Block
Westlife
A-Teens
O-Town
Sinead O'Connor
Milli Vanilli
Annie Lennox

But Nas is illmatic. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.