Peace out New York City (MTA strike)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StaT1c
http://www.nysun.com/article/24743

So, anyone here from NYC? How do you feel about this strike? sad

Fire
No idea since I don't live in NYC but over here public transport goes on strike about once a year.

WindDancer
I don't see how the strike could affect New Yorkers. Most of them take the subway.

botankus
The subway's one of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's branches.

JacopeX
This all ova the news in NY. The sucky part of it is that its the holidays.

WindDancer
Yeah, this is not a good idea. Having strikes during the holiday season really could backfire on them. Back in 1996 UPS had a strike and because of that their competitors took over. Now DHL and Fedex are on the top with UPS and the Postal Office. Strikes sometimes don't equal success.

Tptmanno1
We'll I don't think the MTA will have the same problem, I don't think that a rival subway system is going to pop up.

Fire
ofcourse they don't certainly not for private companies (which have competition) but I don't think the MTA has a lot of competition

ash007
well why can't the national guard be called to take over?

WindDancer
Taxis are other options New Yorkers can take and there is also carpooling with co-workers, riding a bycicle, scooters, etc...

Fire
the national guard for a one day? (correct me if I'm wrong) strike?

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by ash007
well why can't the national guard be called to take over?
Because that would be forcibly breaking a strike and thats illegal,
Besides their all in Iraq...

Capt_Fantastic
I've had a lot of experience with strikes. It was one of my primary jobs at Volvo Trucks, NA. A huge majority of the time, the unions are corrupt and expect too much. These unions are of the opinion that companies can't operate without them. But thet are sorely mistaken most of the time, and when they see the back up plans being implemented the night of the negotiation deadline, they tend to buckle.

When the airline employees went on strike in the '80's Reagan forced them back to work. It was a matter of national interest. That;s one of the President's powers. However, this MTA strike in NY will never go that way.

And the MTA in NYC is nothing like UPS, or any other service or goods industry. The public transportation system in NY CAN'T be scrapped. It's a billions of dollar investment. However, there are non-union employees that can certainly take over, at a hugely reduced capacity no less, until the situation is resolved.

soleran30
Oh well I don't know the full list of demands nor what it costs for benefits and such so its tough to say who is fair in this however the little snippet on raising retirement from age 55 to 62 does seem fair............

Mostly I dislike unions today...........I realize they have a purpose but they are a business entity looking out for a business entity.....(themselves)

Sir Whirlysplat
Happens in London every Chrimbo and New Year sad

Imperial_Samura
Just heard about this on the news actually, they made it sound serious, something like 7 million commuters stranded having to walk or use taxis (though there aren't enough) and it's the first strike of it's nature in 25 years. Apparently it's been ruled as illegal and the unions are being fined $1 million every day the strike lasts, and the workers who strike can also be fined up to $25,000.

Seems serious, I thought that unions were allowed to call strikes, what in the US makes an "illegal" strike?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by soleran30
Oh well I don't know the full list of demands nor what it costs for benefits and such so its tough to say who is fair in this however the little snippet on raising retirement from age 55 to 62 does seem fair............

Mostly I dislike unions today...........I realize they have a purpose but they are a business entity looking out for a business entity.....(themselves)

i don't know their demands either, in fact I hadn't heard about this until today. but, I'm willing to bet it's fairly unreasonable. Public services, owned by the government pay it's workers very well, on top of the excellent benefits they have.

And the 55 to 65 thing is totally reasonable! If they weren't a government funded and run buisness, they wouldn't have been able to retire at 55 anyway! Very few companies/organizations offer such benefits. I have little to no sympathy for any government worker that organizes and goes on strike. The governement workers are some of the best compensated groups in this country.

And you're right, the unions today are abusive and manipulative. They were created to ensure safe conditions, fair wages and later on a retirement plan. almost immeadiately, they got in bed with organized crime and it all went the way of strong arming these companies.

Unions these days are little better than the mob...

debbiejo
HA HA....subway operators...oh... such a hard job....be hard to retrain anyone. wink

soleran30
yup 60k wages and gotta love the retirement piecesmile.........now I know its NY hey thats chump change right?.........well look at the average wage paid in NY still and 60k is well above average in all the buroughs except manahattan.

Wow you certainly get fired up over that Capt..........I am glad its not just me.

KidRock
Good. To many fat people in New York anyway. It wont kill them to walk more then 5 feet.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by soleran30
yup 60k wages and gotta love the retirement piecesmile.........now I know its NY hey thats chump change right?.........well look at the average wage paid in NY still and 60k is well above average in all the buroughs except manahattan.

Absolutely it is. You can live quite nicely outside the city on 60K. And it's a non-issue to ride the subway to Manhattan and back. I used to live in Manhattan, and I rode the subway out to Brooklyn all the time. You're paying about 800 to 900 a month for an apt in one of the burroughs. So, that's about 10 grand a year. And 9 times out of 10, utilities are included. So, that's 50K a year. You work for the city and you've got great healthcare benefits. What's to complain about? On top of your retirement plan! I could do it.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by debbiejo
HA HA....subway operators...oh... such a hard job....be hard to retrain anyone. wink

Hahah Ah the pun, one of the most unfairly victimised forms of humor of all. laughing laughing

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by StaT1c
http://www.nysun.com/article/24743

So, anyone here from NYC? How do you feel about this strike? sad

No trains and no buses, so a lot of people didn't go to work

They say for everyday the strike continues it'll cost one million dollars

Originally posted by WindDancer
I don't see how the strike could affect New Yorkers. Most of them take the subway.

No trains = No subway

Imperial_Samura
The only answer is for a peoples revolution, you need to overthrow the unions, and man the trains yourselves!!! Stranded commuters of the world unite!!! You have nothing to lose but the chance to ever ride a train again!!

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
The only answer is for a peoples revolution, you need to overthrow the unions, and man the trains yourselves!!! Stranded commuters of the world unite!!! You have nothing to lose but the chance to ever ride a train again!! And I always thought they were more computer operated...shouldn't be hard to run them... smile

ash007
mmm i would not be surprised if the government now start investing more on a computerised system. Which would mean they would not have to rely on workers

Imperial_Samura
I actually think a fully automated system would be good step in the management of mass transit, though it would probably still need a human element in areas like safety, but I suspect it would be much more efficient.

Black Rob
Finally something New Jerz has on New York! HAVE A FUN TIME WALKING B*TCHES!!! AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Bushwacker
I'm sure this would be an inconvenience in most cities, but it has to be crippling to a city the size of NYC. I wonder if this strike caused an increase in the cost of gas and cab fares.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bushwacker
I'm sure this would be an inconvenience in most cities, but it has to be crippling to a city the size of NYC. I wonder if this strike caused an increase in the cost of gas and cab fares.

Gas costs, no. Well, maybe. But gas prices are set from Texas, aren't they?

Cab fees? Most likely. I bet you'd have to sell your first born for a cab in NYC right now. So, the only other option is walking. And that's just in Manhattan! I doubt it will be crippling, but it'll be a pain in the ass, no doubt.

Bushwacker
Don't know how they set gas prices in NY, just using the idea of "supply and demand' vs the increased number of cars on NYC roads.
Either way, it's typical that they picked THIS week to go on strike. Guess they thought that it would give them more bargaining power.

Koala MeatPie
The only reason I herd of this Is Because I watched Connan Last Night.

He had a segament where he offered a taxi Service.

PLUS

no car with under 4 people is allowed In or out of New York.

Capt_Fantastic
Don't know how they set gas prices in NY, just using the idea of "supply and demand' vs the increased number of cars on NYC roads.
Either way, it's typical that they picked THIS week to go on strike. Guess they thought that it would give them more bargaining power.

It's all cool.

1) The Texas joke was just that, a joke.

2) Why would anyone who gets around via an automobile, have to worry about the subway or bus system.

Bushwacker
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Why would anyone who gets around via an automobile, have to worry about the subway or bus system.
The thought is that without the subway or bus now they might have to drive. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Capt_Fantastic
The thought is that without the subway or bus now they might have to drive. roll eyes (sarcastic)

i'm not trying to argue, but if they had cars, then why wouldn't they drive? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bushwacker
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
i'm not trying to argue, but if they had cars, then why wouldn't they drive? roll eyes (sarcastic)
Maybe, just maybe, it's a pain in the ass to drive in NYC. And...oh, I don't know...maybe it costs money to park your car while you're stuck at work. But you know NYC better than I do.

Inspectah Deck
Looks like the strike ended today

Black Rob
Originally posted by Black Rob
Finally something New Jerz has on New York! HAVE A FUN TIME WALKING B*TCHES!!! AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!! Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Looks like the strike ended today ....f*ck....

Inspectah Deck
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.