Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, I lost a lot of respect for ol' Mel after that 'Passionate Jesus' fiasco, but his new movie looks ripe for the watching...

I believe it's about the fall of the Mayan empire, but I could be wrong (for the first time). The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Anyway, here's the trailer:

Apocalypto

lovebuzz
any hint of the plot? i couldnt pick it other then theres a pregnant woman and a guy running from some other people..

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Something about some dude doing something to save something that he loves. Or something...

Mando
It looks a lot like a History Channel Special. But I respect Mel Gibson as a Director. And I believe he can do his duties to the fullest. He always has been a good historical Director, IMO.

Plot-: An action/adventure film set 600 years ago, prior to the 16th-century Spanish conquest of Mexico and Central America, where a man goes on a perilous journey to save his idyllic world.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

lovebuzz
somewhat anachronistic for the man to consider his world idyllic no? i mean it may seem simple and carefree to us but thats only because were comparing it to our world..

hey look at me the first person in the world to find a possible fault in this movie!

forumcrew
"Co-written by Gibson and Farhad Safinia, Apocalypto is a heart stopping mythic action-adventure set against the turbulent end times of the once great Mayan civilization. When his idyllic existence is brutally disrupted by a violent invading force, a man is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression where a harrowing end awaits him. Through a twist of fate and spurred by the power of his love for his woman and his family he will make a desperate break to return home and to ultimately save his way of life."

SleaterKinney32
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Haha, I like the way you put that.. it made me laugh. Maybe Mel will bounce back into his old ways. I personally didn't mind The Passion of the Christ, but it was overhyped and I felt like he was overdoing it a tad bit. The plot of this new one does sound interesting though, it seems like something worth seeing.

Mando
Originally posted by SleaterKinney32
I personally didn't mind The Passion of the Christ, but it was overhyped and I felt like he was overdoing it a tad bit.

Her under did the movie. The bible says Jesus didn't even look human when haging from the cross. I could go on for a while. but this is not the religion forum.

Deathcow
Originally posted by Mando
The bible
Book of lies.

And yeah, I suppose this Apocalypto jazz doesn't look too bad. Though if it doesn't have Mel Gibson with a half blue face I don't think it'll be good.

SnakeEyes
This movie looks alright from what we've seen and what we know so far. The trailer gives you pretty much no idea of what the plot is, but it looks pretty epic, so I'll most likely see it.

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, I lost a lot of respect for ol' Mel after that 'Passionate Jesus' fiasco, but his new movie looks ripe for the watching...

I believe it's about the fall of the Mayan empire, but I could be wrong (for the first time). The trailer looks suitably epic and the cinematography looks delicious, but then again, it could all be a big cover-up and once you get in the theatre you are strapped to the chair, lashed a few times, then expected to believe in the reality of a story about some dude with a beard who can turn water into wine.

Anyway, here's the trailer:

Apocalypto IMO....i dont like Gibson's movies. They are always so.....well, i cant think of the word. But they always try to grab people and put them into a frenzy, with Passion of the Christ, you HAD to go see that or you were a heathen. And now this comes out, talking about the end of the Myans (I believe), its just another attempt to make everyone be forced to see this movie, only because of its religious part of the movie....

also, never been a big fan of Mel Gibson in any of his movies, except Signs...but that was because of the director of that, M. Night (cant spell last name) is one of my favorite directors

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I've got a feeling that this is going to actually be a load of guff.

Solo
It looks like he's trying to pull a Malick, but I doubt it'll be any good.

Thorin

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
It looks like he's trying to pull a Malick, but I doubt it'll be any good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. He's going for the contemplative pretty-as-a-picture movie, but I don't think he's got the talent Malick has.

crickey77

Grimm22
Bah, I saw the trailer for it at The Prestige today erm

Looks like crap if you ask me.

Then again I also reffuse to watch Passion of the Christ, because it exploits Jesus's sacrifice as the most important part of his life, even though thats a load of crap. After all "Its not how you die that matters, its how you live."

However I did also see the trailer for another Jesus movie in the trailers for the Prestige today erm

Looks really good, i'll be seeing that

The Pict
Looks good, I heard about this a while back and thought it was about Spanish and Aztecs fighting.

crickey77
Originally posted by The Pict
Looks good, I heard about this a while back and thought it was about Spanish and Aztecs fighting.

Actually, it is about the fall of the Mayan Empire -- here is how IMDb summarizes it:

As the Maya kingdom faces its decline, the rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood), a young man chosen for sacrifice, flees the kingdom to avoid his fate

MildPossession
It's a dvd wait for me, like with Passion.

ariwin
Originally posted by MildPossession
It's a dvd wait for me, like with Passion.

I am excited to see it in the theatersx, actually, bc it doesn't seem like it would be a movie that you would enjhoy as much at home, unless you have a sooped up system with surround sound that is out of this world. From the trailer, you can tell that there's just going to be some amazing cinematography and editing...

crickey77
Completely agree -- this is on the of those films you have to see in the theaters to get the full effect but I am sure I will be buying on DVD too.

office jesus
I stopped paying attention to Gibson after his tirade about the Jews.

crickey77
Well you might not agree with his personal decisions but you can't ignore the fact that his films are amazing -- for example Braveheart. He is a talented and phenomnal director and I think this film will be added to other sucessful films.

crickey77
Came across some awesome images from the film -- definitely check them out when you get a change. Very impressed.

Images

WrathfulDwarf
Just saw the trailer and this looks very good! Really looking forward to seen this flick in theaters when is release.

crickey77
Yeah, I know! I think it is going to be amazing!

I saw the trailer before Bobby and wow, it was great to see on the big screen -- was just a tease of how powerful it is going to be on the big screen. And they just added a new tv spot that I saw the other morning that looks spectacular!

Only one more week! Who here is going to see it?

GrillingNemo
idk it looks like a good movie

botankus
Going to try to see it this week. Looks good.

sithsaber408
Pulled #1 at the box office this weekend.

www.boxofficemojo.com

Dusty
Sure did. Came no where near The Passion, though.

Robtard
Watched it, it was enjoyable, it didn't come anywhere near as Mel's best film (imo) "Brave Heart", but it was extremely better than that ridiculous flop "The Passion of The Christ".

SnakeEyes
Anyone care to give a more elaborate/in-depth review or maybe just more comments on the movie?

I'm thinking about going to see it.

Wolfie
I never thought twice about this film but we wanted to go to the movies, and nothing's out right now.

It was a good film. It had some nice graphic gore, nice comic relief toward the beginning, strong and simple story. It's definitely worth a watch.

Bicnarok

SnakeEyes
I saw this movie a week or two ago.

Anyway, I thought it was great.

Definitely the best movie I've seen in theaters in a while.

SnakeEyes
bump

Bicnarok
eventually got to watching this movie on DVD. Absolutely brilliant, original, action, good story. Excellent in fact one of my favourite movies.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Bicnarok
What is all this "lost respect with Gibson because of the christ movie" or "his jewish insult to a cop when drunk"

Oh or is it because he dared to insult a Jew?

BINGO!!

SnakeEyes
This movie comes out next month AKA May (for the U.S. release date).

I'm definitely gonna buy it, I thought this movie was excellent.

Bicnarok
just noticed its running on SOPCAST, good quality too.

NinthSith
This movie was very well done,the costume's,the action, the set's, everything was great.

42ndStreetFreak
I thought this was very good indeed and although it owed a fair bit to parts of "Last of the Mohicans" in the chase I thought it was a solid, violent and brave work to take into a multi-plex arena.

And I fail to see what the racist jibes i've seen hauled at Gibson in the press.

There is nothing racist about known, proven, documented historical facts. And the city dwelling Mayans did hack off heads, feet and hands as sacrifice. And they did it a lot.
And lets not forget that the sacrifices seen in the film are so frequent because they think the Gods are angry because the land is poisoned. They simply don't know it's the pollution from their ming going into the water and thus into the soil.

Quite frankly what is this 21st century garbage where it's okay to show white westerners and their cultures as scum but other cultures are defended as never having done anything bad or icky and all they used to do was dance around meadows of flowers, showering each other with stardust!
NOPE! Even they hacked off heads, and this 21st century PC attitude that just loves to re-write history to please can't change that.

The film looks great on DVD too (recently purchased a 40" Sony LCD Bravia TV and an upscaling DVD player...GOODIES!!) so it's a must buy imho.

ADarksideJedi
Don't plan on seeing t he movie.But it does look good.jm

botankus
It was good. I'm one who can take a lot of violence, but there were a couple of scenes that made my eyes perk up a bit.

SelphieT
I really enjoyed the guy getting the panther in the face.

WrathfulDwarf
I just saw it on Cable last week.

Rather so-so with this film. Can we just have movie based on the Mayans.....without the damn europeans conquistadors.

Aside from that...the film was okay. Does make you think about slavery as part of every culture.

SelphieT
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I just saw it on Cable last week.

Rather so-so with this film. Can we just have movie based on the Mayans.....without the damn Europeans conquistadors.

Aside from that...the film was okay. Does make you think about slavery as part of every culture.

Well yeah, I see what you're saying Dwarf, but they only showed the Europeans for like, 2 minutes, which was at the very ending...

JediSamuraiMRB
I thought this was meh...

ragesRemorse
Incredible movie. This film exudes authenticity. The atmosphere and environments are realized through brilliant cinematography and directing.The Mayan culture and traditions are only made apparent through focused observation. The story is reinforced by subtle cultural references and not overwhelmed by them. Research into this movie was obviously very thorough. Everything from the type of jewelry, body paint to the language spoken is genuine.

=Tired Hiker=
I thought the part where the guy fell from the cliff was laughably fake. Otherwise, it was a decent flick.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.