Essenes compared to Christianity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CosmicSurfer
According to this article, the essenes are radically different from Christianity. So different, that fundamentally....Christianity didn't evolve from the Essenes at all but formed on its own. Meaning there was *NO* influence from the Essenes at all.

The article also says that Jesus and John the Baptist are definately not part of the essene sect. And their teachings and beliefs were completely different from the Essenes as well

http://www.tektonics.org/af/essene.html

AOR
who are these essenes?

debbiejo
The Essenes are a Gnostic sect, I believe, and I have read many articles telling how "Christ" is within us all, we just have to acknowledge him...It's a inner growth not an outer set of rules....They were considered more spiritual...I have read that Anna Jesus grandmother, Mary his mother, John the Baptist,(though not sure about him, cause there are earlier myths that are the same story), and many of the disciples...They were vegetarians, and treated their bodies as temples, they knew much about the affects certain foods had on the body. They ate mostly raw, and were selective on what plants to eat, but they did eat dairy,, and eggs, also, I think....Essenes were very well known at the time of Jesus.....

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by debbiejo
The Essenes are a Gnostic sect, I believe, and I have read many articles telling how "Christ" is within us all, we just have to acknowledge him...It's a inner growth not an outer set of rules....They were considered more spiritual...I have read that Anna Jesus grandmother, Mary his mother, John the Baptist,(though not sure about him, cause there are earlier myths that are the same story), and many of the disciples...They were vegetarians, and treated their bodies as temples, they knew much about the affects certain foods had on the body. They ate mostly raw, and were selective on what plants to eat, but they did eat dairy,, and eggs, also, I think....Essenes were very well known at the time of Jesus.....

But do you agree with what the article says?

This article is based on what a Dead Sea scrolls expert confirms.

debbiejo
Originally posted by CosmicSurfer
But do you agree with what the article says?

This article is based on what a Dead Sea scrolls expert confirms. From some things I have read, the Gnostic's or the group called Essenes are much older, and practiced, in one form or another, Though in the article it is slanted of course because it's in a "Christian Apologetics" link, is trying to state that Jesus was a very different type person. And this will always be interpreted on what denomination is looking at it...For one, it says that Jesus (If he was a real person), didn't follow the Sabbath, but no where in scripture is this found(as an example)...I did read that the Essenes did keep to themselves for purity..

The article does have some good points, but as with all experts, you can find them on both sides. That's the problem with experts...I myself would not want to be an Essene, though I think they had it right when it came to diet and health.......IMO

I don't feel that Christianity developed from the Essenes, but more how the early church interpreted what scriptures were allowed in the Cannon. In early church history there wasn't a set teaching. Greece for example might have letters from an apostle, lets say John, another area might have Philip, another might have Thomas, another area might just have one of Pauls, while another might have The secret teachings of John. Writings and interpretations of writings were scattered all over the different regions and read out loud and followed. It wasn't until they were later gathered and then certain ones were chosen while others were thrown out or burned that we have our Cannon today. The dead Sea Scroll are just another group that had a belief and just happened to be found.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.