Pet Sematary Remake is coming to life!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

p_s_luvit1989
I was watching this show on AMC, and Stephen King was like "Hey Boys and Gouls, ready for something so terrifying it'll have you pissing in your pants?

Then some clips from the old movie came on screen and then it switches to Alexis Arquette dressed up as Zelda (Rachel Creed's dead sister) and all you hear is a heart beat. Then some old chick running down the road and this midget is chasing her. Then PET SEMATARY pops up and Stephen Kings says MORE FRIGHTNING THEN THE FIRST.

Someone, help me save thi movie please! I swear to god, they're gonna kill it like they did TCM!

p_s_luvit1989
* This

b-dan
It was an ok movie Stephen is my fave author but i think his best was The Stand. And i dont think it will kill the movie if the new generation see it they might be curious what the orignal was like. If they like it hey more fans to the orignal

Impediment
90% of movie adaptations of King's novels suck rectum, IMO. Pet Sematary was awful, because a novel that complex and interior (Louis' thougts and emotions) do not translate well to screen at all. If, in fact, they re-make this movie, I hope that it is handled with better care than the previous. That's just my opinion, though. I'm not even that big of a Stephen King reader, personally (Although I loved the Pet Sematary novel). I like a few of King's novels, but I prefer Richard Matheson and Chuck Palahniuk.

Pandemoniac
Right-o! I am a big fan of King's writing, but I am greatly dissapointed by most of the movie-adaptations of his books. Pet cemetary is a good example of that, clever book but I fail to see what all the hype around the movie is all about. Even the Ramones song sucked, and I like other music by them alot.

jayy
What about The Shining? Damn. That movie rules!!

wink

Pandemoniac
'The Shining' was good indeed, some attempts to put King's tales to the screen do succeed. 'Christine' was fun to watch aswell, and 'It' rocked to. Also liked the 'The Stand' miniseries (still a faint shadow of the book however).
But somehow the guys in the moviebiz just pick the lesser stories, or just mess up the better ones as they put King's tales on screen.
Take 'The Mangler' for instance, about one of the most ridiculous movies I ever saw, and it was directed by Tobe Hooper and starred Robert Englund for crap sake! From the same collection of short stories in which 'The Mangler' appeared I could point out atleast 5 better ones to base a movie on.
King is a damn genius, but movieworld mostly doesn't pull it enough to pay the proper respect to his creations

LizzyT123
Tommy Knockers was a bad Stephen King movie.

I've seen parts of Pet Semetary 2, which was pretty much awful. I don't think any remakes will make it better.

Gregory
Well, I think this is at least a step in the right direction--remaking mediocre movies that have a lot of room for improvement instead of clasics that have nowhere to go but down.

Pandemoniac
They should do more Creepshows based on King's short stories, and have a proper special effects crew on it. Thinking about 'The moving finger', 'The Mist', 'Umney's last case', 'Mrs. Todd's shortcut' and stories like that. F#cking amazing, but just to much of a gamble for hollywood

LizzyT123
More Creepshows would be cool! big grin

Pandemoniac
Defenitly! Pick up 'Nightshift', 'Skeleton Crew' and 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes' by King if you get the chance and just read how cool Creepshow 3 could be!

jayy
Yeah, Creepshow 3. I can't wait for that one. wink

LizzyT123
I've read a few of the stories from Nightmares and Dreamscapes. The very first story would be pretty cool to see in a movie. smile

b-dan
Originally posted by LizzyT123
Tommy Knockers was a bad Stephen King movie.

no IT was they left so much out like IT was female and was having eggs and they did one indian riturale to kill him. The Stand was well done to i didnt see anything lef out on that one

DeadIsBetter
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with all of you. Pet Sematary is probably my favorite book of all time. Whereas the movie is not as good as Carpenter's Halloween (they really shouldn't be compared, though), it should definitely be considered one of his best screenplays. I have read the book twice and actually listened to the audio book online; I've truly developed a sense of understanding of the themes of the story and the personality of Louis Creed. The movie was pretty accurate in terms of developing the stages of grief as the plot intensified, but obviously there are going to be some aspects of the book that will be too difficult to act. Come on, Stephen King even made a cameo in the movie. Remember that he even cited this book to being one of the most frightening stories he has ever written.

A remake would be AWESOME to see. Perhaps maybe we'll see more flashbacks like the book portrayed; especially of the fantasy that Louis has about Gage barely missing the truck and winning medals in the Olympics. (man this brings shivers to my body just thinking about it!).

Anyway, the Shining was a good movie but remember that King was so unsatisfied with it that he felt the need to re-make it (remember the 90s television movie with completely different actors?) Sometimes a remake is necessary and I think a re-imagining of Pet Sematary would be truly remarkable.

jinXed by JaNx
No man, the only Flaw in the original Shining was Shelly Duval. The problem with Kings Movie adaptations is that his books are so god damn meaty. It is nigh impossible to take a Stephen King Novel and turn it into a movie and hope to cover everything. This is why his movies are always better served as Mini series but the problem there is that they never get the type of budget and attention they truly deserve. Now, when King writes the screenplay, it is gold. Storm of The Century is one of the Best mini series i've ever seen.

When his work is turned over to another writer and Director, well, there is only so much of the original story that they can incorporate into the film. So, unless you get a Director like Frank Darabont who constantly references King and adds his opinions into his work. You will have a Director who wants to make their own movie. The movie they see in their mind is often very different from the story that king envisioned in his. I remember that Kings main criticism towards Kubricks Shining was that Jack was to comical. Now that is just insane.

I'm all about Stephen King movies but i would like to see HBO get invovled. Could you imagine an HBO production undertaking the gunslinger series. That would be fuking gold. No, rather, we will continue to see average and awful king serials sprawl up all over NBC, TBS and ABC. I am definitely for any of Kings stories being made or remade into movies because their is definitely gold to be mined and every once in a while someone does strike the vein which connects to the heart in Kings books.

I will say, however, no matter what Stephen King movie you are watching. You can usually sense his his imagination in the seams without even knowing that you are watching a King movie.

MildPossession
Yeah, and King's version was terrible, he learnt a lesson there. The Shining film is a horror classic.

DeVuL
Originally posted by Impediment
90% of movie adaptations of King's novels suck rectum, IMO. Pet Sematary was awful, because a novel that complex and interior (Louis' thougts and emotions) do not translate well to screen at all. If, in fact, they re-make this movie, I hope that it is handled with better care than the previous. That's just my opinion, though. I'm not even that big of a Stephen King reader, personally (Although I loved the Pet Sematary novel). I like a few of King's novels, but I prefer Richard Matheson and Chuck Palahniuk.

Very true... consider this as well... look at The Shining... while, yes it was a great movie.. Stephen King was PISSED.. it was not HIS story... so what did King do? He, HIMSELF remade The Shining for TV, like all his other movies usually are... that took 3 friggin days to watch...

And if Stephen King is advertising a remake of his original movie.. then, something good is going to come out of it...

I have faith in this flick... way to be...

DeVuL
Originally posted by DeadIsBetter
Remember that he even cited this book to being one of the most frightening stories he has ever written.

My Pet Semetary DVD has a thing in the special features of King talking about why, in fact this movie is one of the most frightening he's ever written.. cuz a lot of it is TRUE.. yah.. crazy eh? Not the whole dead people coming back to life shit.. but, the fact that a little girl had a cat that was killed in the road, and she buried him down in the Pet Semetary, which was spelled exactly that way, that he noticed... and that this cemetery was huge because of all the animals that died in the road due to the traffic... and he just rolled with it...

I mean, c'mon! big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.