I'm in need of advice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
I need to apply to university, and I still haven't made up my mind in what courses to take.

I'm thinking majoring in european history, and taking a psychology and english lit minor.

Thoughts?

Ladyluck
Just take whatever you're really interested in. yes

silver_tears
That would be it, but I'm worried about the load of work that would entail, so I'm curious is maybe someone's taking any of the above.

PVS
if the amount of work entailed is even a factor then you are not being realistic at all. do you want to waste time, get a piece of paper in the end and never pursue a career as per your major? or perhaps pick a major since it sounds cool on a whim and in the end once you get that paper realise you hate it?

you shouldnt have to decide right away anyway.
just take general education courses if you havent made up your mind.
why rush into a major like that? bad move imho.

Lana
Keep in mind that most people end up changing their major a few times while in college yes

silver_tears
No, the major is the one thing I'm certain about, it will be european history no matter what.
It's the other two I can still change or drop altogether.

Plus, I'm going to law school, my major is kind of irrelevant.

PVS
what lana said as well, all the more reason to start out with general ed. courses. good to get them out of the way anyway so you can focus on your major.

Ladyluck
There's a course you can take that's called General Arts and Science. You can either go into the science field or the arts field. It's gives you an overview of almost everything in those fields. It's a great course to take when you're not too sure what you want to go into.

I don't know where you live, but they have it here in Canada.

PVS
Originally posted by silver_tears
No, the major is the one thing I'm certain about, it will be european history no matter what.

oh, thats different then. i thought you were basically asking everyone what you should be

Ladyluck

Ohh... well ignore my previous post then. stick out tongue

Lana
Well, do you NEED to pick a minor right away? Most schools don't make you pick one, if at all, for a while. I'm halfway through my second year of college and still haven't chosen a minor.

Take some gen-eds and see what you think you'll like more.

Jedi Priestess
Yep yep, always best to get your gen-eds out of the way anyway. yes

silver_tears
That's probably best, I might just take an open minor.

Mišt
How does your whole system work? For us, we pick the overall degree we want, and within that degree they give us set courses to do, and we just pick a couple of minors.

Do you have to pick everything out yourself?

silver_tears
We pick the overall course, which comes with its own courses to take, but then you have to pick a minor, and the minor's courses you pick yourself.

But since I'm attending law school afterwards, basically it's all what I wanna do type of thing. I just don't want to take on too much, thereby lowering my marks.

Mišt
We get (usually) 4 courses each semester, 3 of them are already set that you have to do, and the last is a minor that you pick. They tell us to pick anything, it doesnt matter whether its relevant or not, its just another thing to pick, so I dont stress....just pick something easy so you can pass. smile

DarkC
I need to apply to university, and I still haven't made up my mind in what courses to take.

I'm thinking majoring in european history, and taking a psychology and english lit minor.

Thoughts?
Waterloo's a very good one.

silver_tears
I'm going to U of T.

Mr. Bacon
i just turned in all my apps last week

Capt_Fantastic
Best of luck with your descision. I'm studying buisness, with a focus on international buisness. I'd much rather get a degree in Paleontology or archaeology, but that takes so long, and the pay isn't what it should be for a doctorate. Plus, I have a lot of experince in buisness, so I know I can excel in that field.

Darth Jello
just beware that a lot of majors force you to take micro and macroeconomics (which i will soon be repeating for the second time) so beware. Economics is satan's *******.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Best of luck with your descision. I'm studying buisness, with a focus on international buisness. I'd much rather get a degree in Paleontology or archaeology, but that takes so long, and the pay isn't what it should be for a doctorate. Plus, I have a lot of experince in buisness, so I know I can excel in that field.

I was so fascinated by archaeology for the longest time, and I'm still considering it embarrasment

Capt_Fantastic
I was so fascinated by archaeology for the longest time, and I'm still considering it embarrasment

It's one of my passions. You should consider it, carefully. It's extremely personally rewarding, but not monetarily rewarding. I'm not saying you won't be able to survive on what you make, I just need more than enough. I'm a glutton.

So, after I make my millions, I'll become a patron of the science. Ancient history is most fascianting, to me at least.

silver_tears
All history is fascinating to me, so much that I'm a loser and read history text books for fun blink
I even thought of becoming a museum curator after getting my degree, still thinking about that path.
But like you, I'm a glutton too and that's the only reason I'm going into corporate law, then when I'm living the high life I'll quit and go back to school big grin

Wonderer
You'll know what to study when the time is right. Don't try too hard to choose a direction; it will come to you when you know what you wanna do. wink

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Wonderer
You'll know what to study when the time is right. Don't try too hard to choose a direction; it will come to you when you know what you wanna do. wink

I said the same thing to a homeless guy last night.

Wonderer
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I said the same thing to a homeless guy last night.
That's good. My mom met a homeless guy who has cancer a few weeks ago. He told her that he is just as happy now as he was years ago when he had his health and material wealth. Just shows you that inner happiness is the only true and lasting happiness - happiness shouldn't depend on outer circumstances.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.