Super Smash Bros Melee's Greatest Fighter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shadow x 20
Mario
Doctor Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Link
Young Like
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Marth
Roy
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Ness
Kirby
Jigglypuff
Pickachu
Pichu
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Star Fox
Falco
Donkey Kong

Out of these 25 Super Smash Bros Melee fighters who do you believe to be the best fighter?

SaTsuJiN
mostly in tournaments it was jiggly puff and Roy.. jiggly for that 1-hit KO, and roy for guarding the edge of the ring for drifters

dvampire
Link was my favorite!

Shadow x 20
I like Marth the best. Swift and elegant. That's what I like in a fighter.

dark99
I'd have to say that the best is zelda/sheik because sheik is the cheapest character and my friend can beat me alot with her. I personally like Marth the best because I am really good with him, except against sheik.

Espio X 20
Yeah, I'm best with Marth. But how do you do a one hit KO with Jiggly?

SaTsuJiN
that move where he flashes and falls asleep.. I dont know the exact workings of it.. but if you manage to jump at someone and do it, you hear the baseball bat sound and they go clear out of the ring.

and yeah sheik is good at air combat.. I dont find her too threatening on the ground though... Samus is my personal favorite

Shadow x 20
You have to get in the character's center area with Jigglypuff. That's why he/she is so good against Giga-Bowser in event 51.

swedish_bum
Fox, Roy and samus is the best!

Drunk-of-Fury
Falco,Fox and Dr.Mario are the 3 best characters Falco is good in Air Fox on Ground AND Dr.Mario on Both Grabs too

Espio X 20
I'm OK with Falco + Fox, but I suck with all the Mario characters. I'm awesome with Fire Emblem though.

IcePunk
Ganondorf has raw power, I've learned how to avoid speed dissabilities.
Then there's Sheik who's got many good fast attacks and has the ability to change into two different characters.
And last but not least, Fox MacCloud who's the best all round character ever made, if you ask me.

choosewisely
i still own with yoshi embarrasment
no really....hes better than you think...
use his special and you've got time to hit him with his power slam

Shadow x 20
Fox is fast but too light in weight. Ganondorf's attacks are too slow for my taste and Captain Falcon has his specials but are a lot faster. Shiek really has no good KO specials so you would have to use Zelda for those types of attacks. Samus isn't too fast and her attacks ain't so great unless you can fully power up her beam cannon but Mewtwo's is just as good with his shadow ball. Falco is like Fox but slower, able to jump higher, and is a bit heavier. Roy to get the best out of his attacks you need to move close to your opponent(s) which sometimes isn't a good thing and his basic attack is slow compared to Marth for it leaves Roy open for a counter attack by a much more faster characet like Fox or Falcon. Jigglypuff is way too light, no real good attacks, and her rest leaves her open for an attack if you miss. Marth is the second fastest character in the game (second only to Fox) and is best used in a distance but yet his attacks are much weaker then Roy's but he makes up for it in speed not to mention if you try to grab Marth chances are even if he is attacking you will grab and hold Marth. Link I'd say is too slow and most of his specials and hook shot are useless for you can get much better items then his bomb, his arrow takes to long to get the best effect out of it for most of us just run into battle and his hook shot takes to long to bring back in leaving Link open for an attack. Captain Falcon is fast, powerful, and a bit heavy and so over all I say that Captain Falcon is the best fighter in Melee but not my fav. who is Marth.

phase
I don't find jigglypuff to be too light. Simply take to the air and use his Wall of Pain moves, then do a bit of juggling, then some merry-go-round-pound, then lunge kick them off and charge up rollout and they up +B back on stage release rollout and there's nothing they can do!

Or just use the platform trick!

They say jigglypuff's the easiest character to be gd with. I find that!

Kaithen

kamikz
Link and Fox pwns the rest.

Dark-Kenshin
Gotta go with Link. I can easily take out 3 level nine characters without losing any lives, while using him. Link ownz fox any day of the week. wink

MadMel
hmm i reckon link and fox are even.....i'll go withkirby..did cruel melee with him for a good 1 & a half-2 hours. go kirby! marth too. he rocked that big blue level.

Atom_the_hedgeh
I like falco because he's well rounded. he can attack from air, land, he can reflect, attack from up close(physical) and shoot from afar!

powerfulone1987
I'm really mad Zelda/Sheik isn't up there.

They're who I find the best.

And Sheik isn't cheap.

is it comprehensible.....

Thunder Fox
i prefer samus and mewtwo they were good at long range

MadMel
yeah they were alright.

Tekno Boy
Link and Marth are the best characters in the game. I prefer Link, my brother prefers Marth, and we are UNBEATABLE together.

swedish_bum
LOL.... I kick ass with Roy but even more with Fox!! laughing

Impediment
DK is strong and maneuverable.

JToTheP
This will obviously be opinionated, this entire thread.

Although:

I've played and mastered 4 characters while I played this game religiously, Peach, Luigi, Link, and Mewtwo.

I find that Link is the most overall balanced character. He is very strong, quick speed, nice grab via hookshot, good recover, a pure warrior, I've fought with 500% damage before being hit off. (with no tricks, straight up fighting and recovering when neccesary)

Luigi and Peach in second for different reasons:

Luigi's fireballs are nice to annoy people from afar, his charge attack is decent, his missile isn't too bad, his running attack is good to knock people off the edge, and his recover is the same as Mario's.

Peach has the best recover in the game. The golf club, tennis rachet, and Frying Pan are all powerful charge weapons, her hover is extremely useful, especially while fighting Giga Bowser, her parasol is a nice touch also, and the vegetables from Mario Bros 2 help also.

So this opinion is coming from someone who tried completely different types of characters in my history:

Link, a warrior, clearly
Luigi, the goofy, yet overall nicely-rounded character
Peach, the best recover, decent to cause damage
Mewtwo, the psychic with a very powerful charge shot, and dodging abilities

JToTheP
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
Link and Marth are the best characters in the game. I prefer Link, my brother prefers Marth, and we are UNBEATABLE together.

I could probably beat you both as Peach...if we played years ago stick out tongue

Morridini
I've got three favorites I keep switching through, Roy, Link and Jigglypuff (sp?).

DarkC
Link.

MadMel
lots of people like link. i dont blame them. i prefer young link, he is better at mid-air fighting, which i very much excell at sly

Tekno Boy
Originally posted by JToTheP
I could probably beat you both as Peach...if we played years ago stick out tongue

Oh yeah? Why do you think that and why years ago?

swedish_bum
My best character is Fox as nr.1 Roy as nr.2 Samus nr.3 and nr.4 Jigglypuff....

Ps: I own all with Fox!

IcePunk
So? I own you with Sheik laughing

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by IcePunk
So? I own you with Sheik laughing
Sheik/Zelda are mine!

I am the only one that rules with them and can even play with them.

is it comrpehensible.....

JToTheP
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
Oh yeah? Why do you think that and why years ago?

Yeah. stick out tongue Cuz I havent played religiously in forever. stick out tongue

MadMel
laughing out loud i'll own you all with roy, marth or kirby.

kier14matrix
No you won't. I'm brilliant with Marth, i know i sound just like any other person on this thread and you will disregard my post and tell us who you are 'awesome' with and who you can 'beat us all' with but just think about, no matter what you write it will never be enough to prove you are better than myself, i'm invincible with Marth.

Spin.

MadMel
lol. try me on big blue or pokefloats. im unstoppable there evil face

JToTheP
Kirby is a panzy, Marth, and Roy are overrated as far as I'm concerned.

QuincE
esb, Marth is DEFINITELY not the second fastest in the game. The fastest goes to Sheik! Then Falco. Then Fox.

kamikz
No, Capt Falcon is the fastest in the game, then Fox. Check on Wikipedia, they have all the characters ranked up in all chategorys. (Speed, jump, strenght etc.)

powerfulone1987
Sheik is the fastest my friend. And also the Best.

Tekno Boy
I think you'll find that Link is the best. Sheik may be the fastest, but she will succumb to Link.

swedish_bum
Sheik isn't the fastest, C Falcon is.. And Roy and Fox is the best Fox is an all around character and Roy is good at smashing!

MadMel
fox is fast but has relatively weak attacks compared to link woh in my opinion is the classic all rounder, along with mario and the doc.

powerfulone1987
Umm...No, Sheik is the fastest as acknowledged above and the best.

JToTheP
Falcon and Fox are the fastest in the game, I think Fox is faster I don't know. I've never even seen Sheik run when I fought him/Zelda.

powerfulone1987
Sheik is a female.
Zelda is a female also.

And just b/c you didn't see her run doesn't mean anything.

*Just because you can't see oxygen, doesn't mean that it's not there*

Scarecrow756
Fox is my favourite chracter.

HigH ScholaR
Link's the best, well that's who i use anyway, my friend here says captain falcon is the best aswell as falco.

but its all about Link

Shin_Gouken
Marth, and here are my reasons
-He has excellent speed and mobility.
-His sword has a huge range advantage, and a skilled player can hit the enemy with the very end of the blade maximizing damage.
-He can use his parry move to get himself out of a sticky situation.
-His >B move is a perfect recovery move to throw in as it is fast and can potentially break an enemies combo.
-the neutral B move is very fast as well and, if well timed and charged, it can keep an enemy from landing back on the edge or can deal tons of damage
-Also, a direct hit with Marth's midair down A move can send anyone plowing to the ground or even to their doom (out of the ring)

Marth is an excellent fighter, I have taken on two level nines a number of times and won with just him.

kamikz
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Sheik is a female.
Zelda is a female also.

And just b/c you didn't see her run doesn't mean anything.

*Just because you can't see oxygen, doesn't mean that it's not there*

I don't think that's what he ment, he said that he had never seen Shiek run so he though Fox was the fastest, he didn't say that Shiek coulden't run because he had never seen her do it.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by kamikz
I don't think that's what he ment, he said that he had never seen Shiek run so he though Fox was the fastest, he didn't say that Shiek coulden't run because he had never seen her do it.
oh okay, I see now.

But I know he didn't say Sheik couldn't run, b/c obviously she can, he just didn't know how fast she ran to be able to compare her.

MadMel
sheik is good. i like all the fighters, but i especially like kirby, marth, roy, young link, the doc. and game and watch. they all excell in mid air, which i excell at laughing out loud

powerfulone1987
Sheik has very good Air Combat moves as well.

Kaithen
Yeah but sheiks attacks really sucks and she is not so fast.....
Links attack are strong, he got both melee and ranged (Marth only got melee) thats make link the best fighter

Fox is fast as hell and can damage people from range. Than kicking their ass in melee combat

You have to explain why Sheik is so good.

MadMel
sheiks the fastest, mate. "search your feelings.. you know it to be true"..laughing out loud
and your right, powerful. i left zelda/sheik out, dunno y tho. they're both awesome characters. but i personally like the stronger ones like the doc. his meteor smash PWNS.

Blue Dragon
I'd say Star Fox but Link is my favourite character of all! He's slower then Fox though, Fox is fast & easier to use I think.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Kaithen
Yeah but sheiks attacks really sucks and she is not so fast.....
Links attack are strong, he got both melee and ranged (Marth only got melee) thats make link the best fighter

Fox is fast as hell and can damage people from range. Than kicking their ass in melee combat

You have to explain why Sheik is so good. um, sheik's attacks does not suck. There some of the best.

IcePunk
Sheik pwns everyone except Giga Bowser ffs

Scorpion_Master
Originally posted by IcePunk
Sheik pwns everyone except Giga Bowser ffs Have to disagree.. Fox is the all around character

Blue Dragon
yes Fox owns all! Like I said before though I like to use Link though because he's my favourite character, not in combat but just favourite. Now I think about it, Link is pretty good to use to, not as fast as Fox but good attacks.

I say his boomerang, arrows & bombs are a waste of time, not very fast, they take time to use, especially arrows. Spin attack good attack but rest I don't both with, I use all of his 'A' attacks. Down A in the air on top of a character, you'll so own my friends! wink

Foxes' Up A attack rules too but takes time getting use to & using it at right time. Fox has two good 'B' attacks, his Fire Fox & Speed Attack. I mostly just use 'A' attacks in any match, grab 'em, throw 'em, smack 'em, yeah just think fast & beat your friends. No time to deflect attacks with Foxes' Guard move (Down B).

Okay think I've said enough, any comments?

Scorpion_Master
Fox is simply the best yes

MadMel
i think its easy to use the repel think of fox's. but like i said, i like the people who pwn the air. fox is good, but his attacks are too weak and he doesnt stay up for long, for some reason.

sPeAkMyLiNgO22
OMFG!! MARTH IS THE BEST!!! HE ROCKS!!!!!!!! eek!

Vash Stampede
Captain Falcon is the best in the game for the ability to put combos to geter cool

but in the real world the best is link he can be the hardest to beat on the hardest mode the best players use him in

but i like captin falcon

H. S. 6
I'd have to go with Roy, only because I was the best with him. big grin

Dark-Kenshin
Link's boomerang and arrows are meant to stop your foes in their attacks, while giving you time to unleash a fully charged attack.

Like I said before, I beat three level nines with the guy, without losing any lives, and without relying on items(while the computer relied on items). He is no doubt, the best.

MadMel
hmm, yeah, but i can say the same for other characters. i did the same thing you did kenshin, but with the doc., roy, marth, and kirby.

powerfulone1987
In regards to Fox's Repel Attack.

I didn't find out what that did until very late in the game and when I found out, I went crazy with it. Very easy to use in my opinion and fun to use also.

Can be annoying for the opponent, but who cares when you're the one using it right?

MadMel
damn right. the repel is an awesome attack, when samus is after you with a charged energy thingy, use repel and...you know

Tekno Boy
Fox's repel attack is for cowards. I try my best not to use it. Fox is my 2nd favourite, but Link is #1.

powerfulone1987
Umm...it's not for cowards, it's for the experienced players who knows how to use all of his arsenal and everything else he has at his finger tips to keep his enemy at bay.

MadMel
sing it brother...Happy Dance

kier14matrix
yeah but he's not nearly as poweful enough as other people

DarkC
There's nothing really "cheap" about each character.

MadMel
thats actually true, when you think about it. fox isnt that durable, so he has deflect to stop him from flying. kirby will go farther, but he has 5 jumps a a stone attack that makes him invunerable.

darthsith19
Yoshi, then Bowser. Third is Kirby. Idk, I've always been the best with Yoshi, maybe because I have the original Super Smash Brothers game and he's the best on that game (along with Kirby). And Bowser has alot of good moves. I like Yoshi's pound, and Bowser punds, too, and Kirby can turn into a rock and smash people, which is like pound.

MadMel
uhuh..

kier14matrix
Another good fighter not really mentioned is Samus Arran, she is fast and powerful

MadMel
yeah, im suprised that she wasnt brought up before. shes an awsome ranged fighter, quick and agile too.

Blue Dragon
Samas is okay but I can't really get use to her, well maybe that's just because I don't use her but Falcon is hopeless! He even walks like he's limping, he walks wierd...

Peach isn't good either, her guard has to be used at the right time (like Fox's guard) & her other attack (left/right B) when she goes "Ahhh-cha!" which is annoying to listen to, even though it's an okay attack.

FullMetalLover1
I think Roy is the best big grin and Ganon is pretty strong too

Dusty
Dr. Mario for me.

Zen2nd
Samus Aran for me

1021kid
its a tie for me between luigi falco ness young link for me

MadMel
Originally posted by FullMetalLover1
I think Roy is the best big grin and Ganon is pretty strong too
pretty strong??..hes right up there with DK...eek!

MadMel
hmm, i like anyone whos good in midair fights...so thats:..kirby, marth, roy, dr. mario, sheik/zelda and young link

1021kid
Originally posted by MadMel
hmm, i like anyone whos good in midair fights...so thats:..kirby, marth, roy, dr. mario, sheik/zelda and young link i have never met anyone that liked young link besides myself

IcePunk
I've said it before but that was ages ago but my favs are Fox cuz he's the best all-round character, Sheik cuz she can easily pwn anyone around with her swift attacks and that she can get back to the arena easily by turning back to Zelda, Ganondorf...well I pwn Sub-zero master with 'im laughing out loud and Scorpion master at some occations ^^

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by 1021kid
i have never met anyone that liked young link besides myself

my friend likes him though i prefer Link

Clone
Pointless thread. If there was a single person in this thread that actually played SSBM on a competitive level, they would know that the Official Smash Tiers would look a little something like this
(Source: Smashboards.com)

Top Tier

Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier

Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High Tier

Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Middle Tier

Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Lower Tier

Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom Tier

Mewtwo
Pichu

So STFU you Smash n00bs and go practice your wavedashing; I might have a female genitalia, but I'll pwn up all you scrubs up by just spamming my shine attacks w/ Fox all day long. Get off my t*ts, b*tches.

=P

Blue Dragon
Yeah thanks for that...glare Shiek & Marth aren't the top ones to use, Marth is pretty good but Shiek isn't that good. I akso disagree that Mewtwo & Pichu is bad to use. Mewtwo is better yes because he doesn't harm himself & Mr Game & Watch in the lower tier!? Bottom of the baddest I say!

Jigglypuff is bad to, unless you can get your opponant to stand exactly next to you to blast them away but I doubt that would happen, unless they have you a chance & there wouldn't be any time for that.

"Stand there while I do my down B attack..."
"Err...no!" *Whacks Jigglypuff off screen.*
"Game! Red Team!"

Best to use:
Fox
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Young Link
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Falco

Middle:
Peach
Pichu (good to use in attacking but bad that damaged itself)
Mewtwo
Bowser
Roy
Marth
Mario
Dr Mario
Luigi
Ice Climbers
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Samas
C. Falcon
Ness

Bottom:
Jigglypuff
Mr Game & Watch

That's my opinion. I'm female too & good at this game, been playing it since the Cube came out. Plus I agree that Ganon is very strong but also very slow but if you can master him & moves to be used at the right time, use him. smile

Clone
Originally posted by Blue Dragon
Yeah thanks for that...glare Shiek & Marth aren't the top ones to use, Marth is pretty good but Shiek isn't that good. I akso disagree that Mewtwo & Pichu is bad to use. Mewtwo is better yes because he doesn't harm himself & Mr Game & Watch in the lower tier!? Bottom of the baddest I say!

Jigglypuff is bad to, unless you can get your opponant to stand exactly next to you to blast them away but I doubt that would happen, unless they have you a chance & there wouldn't be any time for that.

"Stand there while I do my down B attack..."
"Err...no!" *Whacks Jigglypuff off screen.*
"Game! Red Team!"

Best to use:
Fox
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Young Link
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Falco

Middle:
Peach
Pichu (good to use in attacking but bad that damaged itself)
Mewtwo
Bowser
Roy
Marth
Mario
Dr Mario
Luigi
Ice Climbers
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Samas
C. Falcon
Ness

Bottom:
Jigglypuff
Mr Game & Watch

That's my opinion. I'm female too & good at this game, been playing it since the Cube came out. Plus I agree that Ganon is very strong but also very slow but if you can master him & moves to be used at the right time, use him. smile

You don't know how to play SSBM and you obviously don't know what you're talking about; please just die now. Anyone who puts Bowser above Shiek should go lie on some train tracks.

1021kid
Originally posted by Clone
You don't know how to play SSBM and you obviously don't know what you're talking about; please just die now. Anyone who puts Bowser above Shiek should go lie on some train tracks. pfft bowser is better and im sure she knows how to play and i have been playing it as soon as gamecube came out

Clone
Originally posted by 1021kid
pfft bowser is better and im sure she knows how to play and i have been playing it as soon as gamecube came out

Wow, saying that Bowser is better than Shiek is like saying Akuma is better than Sentinel in MvC2; it doesn't matter how long you've been playing a game. You could've been playing the game longer for all I care, time doesn't neccessarily equal skills you scrub. Do me a favor, and tell me when was the last time that a Bowser player won a major SSBM tournament? The tier list I posted above was officially put together by the VERY BEST of the BEST in SSBM. I think their opinions > your n00b opinion. It's virtually an unarguable list. It's like arguing with Michael Jordan that he was shooting wrong throughout his entire 15 year carreer. But if you still feel strongly about your opinion, feel free to take that garbage to Smashboards.com; becasue that shit is flamebait there.

=)

InnerRise
Zelda/Sheik

Blue Dragon
Wow, saying that Bowser is better than Shiek is like saying Akuma is better than Sentinel in MvC2; it doesn't matter how long you've been playing a game. You could've been playing the game longer for all I care, time doesn't neccessarily equal skills you scrub. Do me a favor, and tell me when was the last time that a Bowser player won a major SSBM tournament? The tier list I posted above was officially put together by the VERY BEST of the BEST in SSBM. I think their opinions > your n00b opinion. It's virtually an unarguable list. It's like arguing with Michael Jordan that he was shooting wrong throughout his entire 15 year carreer. But if you still feel strongly about your opinion, feel free to take that garbage to Smashboards.com; becasue that shit is flamebait there.

=)
Bowser is so much better than Shiek but if you prefer him then far enough, no need to get out your pram about it...depends who you're most comfatable with. Bowser may be slower but he's harder to knock off & packs some bit whacks! Plus don't tell me to die, it shows your age or the age you act anyway...

Scorpion_Master
Bowser>shiek yes

wait.... ALL>shiek yes laughing

kamikz
Oh....that is why Shiek is ranked one of the top if not 1st of all the characters on SSBM by the champions. My personal favourite if Fox though, followed up by Link.

Clone
Originally posted by Blue Dragon
Bowser is so much better than Shiek but if you prefer him then far enough, no need to get out your pram about it...depends who you're most comfatable with. Bowser may be slower but he's harder to knock off & packs some bit whacks! Plus don't tell me to die, it shows your age or the age you act anyway... LOL OMG I <3 you f*cking scrubs. Please just go to http://smashboards.com/ and post there to make it a whole lot easier for me to get my point across since I'm one lazy ass b*tch. I'll even GLADLY give you my SN and my password if you don't feel like making a new account there. ACTUALLY, anyone who disagrees w/ me is free to ask for my SN and you debate about this nonsense there. I'm just going to kick back, get a bucket of KFC and enjoy the flames.

GGs you fail at life

Clone
Originally posted by Scorpion_Master
Bowser>shiek yes

wait.... ALL>shiek yes laughing Shiek >>>> Your family

Scorpion_Master
LOL!!

Me>>>>>>>>>>You, shiek and your family

Clone
Originally posted by Scorpion_Master
Hi, I'm a n00b f*ggot who can't play SSBM, doesn't know what a SHFFL is and loves mutiple penises to penetrate my anal cavity simultaneously Fixed it for you =)

EDIT: don't try to replicate

Clone
Adding on:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=59084

READ

1021kid
that does not matter and anyone who post in here and are scrubbs then dont post in here quote:
Originally posted by clone
Hi, I'm a n00b f*ggot who can't play SSBM, doesn't know what a SHFFL is and loves mutiple penises to penetrate my anal cavity simultaneously
Fixed it for you =) yeah i fixed for you =)

1021kid
scorpian king that was for you

vanice
I don't have the game. But I've played it with a friend of mine. Personaly I think fox is the best one on one fighter in the game. but you have to know how to control him. In a team battle Link. he's kinda overall, not young link tough. too short range.

IcePunk
laughing smokin' Originally posted by Scorpion_Master
LOL!!

Me>>>>>>>>>>You, shiek and your family My winning streaks against you doesnt agree with you laughing roll eyes (sarcastic) cool I got 28/29th place in sweden (or was it the world? I dont remember, man my memory sux) with her, biatch !

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by kamikz
Oh....that is why Shiek is ranked one of the top if not 1st of all the characters on SSBM by the champions. My personal favourite if Fox though, followed up by Link.

Hmm.. Roy won the tournament that they had a while back around here... and I knew the bum that used him! >_<

sheik is cool.. I just dont really care for those useless shurikens.. her physical attacks are awesome... but I still prefer samus as my #1

JToTheP
Clone, you really need to calm yourself down. Things like these are a matter of opinion by someone's abilities with one character versus another, and the moves programmed for each character. Being a girl means absolutely nothing since I'm sure you can give many of us a worthy challenge. You sure need to tone down the arrogance about beating many of us.

I used to be extremely good at this game. Unfortunately, I didn't find any tournaments to compete in, so all I had to go by was my three friends, and three level 9 computers.

Besides, no matter the "Tier" standings and all that shit. I do know Link is one of the best characters in the game, due to his moveset, and thus his abilities.

IcePunk
Shiek >>>> Your family You mean Zelda/Sheik, right?
Zelda is sometimes even better than Sheik. Still not nice to say that to someone you havent even met mad but me on the other hand meet him and fight him from time to time and since I've started pwning them with Sheik/Zelda they've started complaning "ugh, she's ugly" or "ugh, stop using the same character all the time to pwn our asses".

crybabies miffed

MadMel
woah, this is turning into a heated argument...laughing out loud

IcePunk
XD

SaTsuJiN

one that can only be solved Via smash bros brawl online~ evil face *glare*

Edit : LAWL OMG SMASSHSHS FER LYFE! KEK!1

Blue Dragon
How do you play games online? I don't know how. I have a few games that can be played online but can't do it. Is SSBM an online game? I'm sure it wasn't... blink
Originally posted by JToTheP
Clone, you really need to calm yourself down. Things like these are a matter of opinion by someone's abilities with one character versus another, and the moves programmed for each character. Being a girl means absolutely nothing since I'm sure you can give many of us a worthy challenge. You sure need to tone down the arrogance about beating many of us.
I know, having a go at me like that, I wished I hadn't said anything now & kept my mouth shut! glare Not! Just calm yourself. I'm a girl also & I like to play games & have a good time trashing the boys, but I don't get out of my pram about it. I may have a little 'yes he is' or 'no he isn't' arguement, but nothing mager.

Pepito
It depends on the player but the top tier chracters are Sheik, Marth and Fox

theobvious
I'm good with the Sword Characters, Marios, Pika & Pichu, CF, G-Dorf, Bowser, Fox & Falco, G&W, Mewtwo & DK if needed.

DarkC
And no one bothers to give Nintendo credit for making the playables fairly equal.

crazy_shadow
i choose both Link and Fox

MadMel
Originally posted by DarkC
And no one bothers to give Nintendo credit for making the playables fairly equal.
laughing out loud yeah..
Originally posted by theobvious
I'm good with the Sword Characters, Marios, Pika & Pichu, CF, G-Dorf, Bowser, Fox & Falco, G&W, Mewtwo & DK if needed.
gee that covers a good bunch of them 16 out of...hmm, how many are there again?

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Gotta go with Link. I can easily take out 3 level nine characters without losing any lives, while using him. Link ownz fox any day of the week. wink

Captain Falcon or Samus works the same for me. It is all about avoiding that one devastating blow that throw you of balance and expose you to their attacks. Bide your time.

Although the same can be said about many characters if you only play on defense. Those characters potent enough to escape a crappy situation at least (Pikachu anyone). My friends think me a coward because of my constant retreating, but hey . . . I'm a winning coward.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. Best of the best in my experience is Falco. Potentially Link or Pikachu. Pikachu being least preferable due to his limited range.

I would like to apologize for bumping a four year old thread, but I believe it to be a topic worthy of discussion and it is better than duplicating the thread, right?

MadMel
i'm more of an offensive player, tbh...
being offensive with ness (or lucas in brawl) gives me quite a lot of victories big grin
unless of course im playing against my friend, who plays link the untouchable erm

Obsidian Fury
I tried being offense. It worked with Zelda, Fox and Captain Falcon, but never to the same degree as playing defensive. But that is how I game. I wait in patience and play safe.

ScreamPaste
i'm more of an offensive player, tbh...
being offensive with ness (or lucas in brawl) gives me quite a lot of victories big grin
unless of course im playing against my friend, who plays link the untouchable erm Link's terrible in Brawl. :C Makes me sad, but I main him anyway.

LLLLLink
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Link's terrible in Brawl. :C Makes me sad, but I main him anyway.

"Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe how lacking he is at high levels of play. I'm going to go ahead and let you know that his best asset is his bombs, because they at least provide protection against Wolf Lasers, etc.

The Clawshot was an easy way for Sakurai to further his ambition to destroy Link's recovery, making the difficulty of edgehogging him in Melee a thing of the past. No more Hook/Wall recoveries.

I have no idea what was going through their minds when they said "Let's shorten the Master Sword; it's too long.". Nothing like getting tipper'd by Marth as he spaces your horrid range with a F-smash.

Last, but most certainly not least was the Spin Attack's failure. No killing power, no recovery, no good DI after the move, and since when does TP Link spin like a ballerina? He does one spin; that's it.
Samus' Charge Shot suffered the same fate.

I sense beer-canceling coming up...

Ridley_Prime
No items, Fox only, Final Destination!

MadMel
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Link's terrible in Brawl. :C Makes me sad, but I main him anyway.
im talking about the 64 version. i haven't versed him at melee or brawl yet.
but yea your right, link is downright terrible in brawl.

right now all i do in brawl is play as a random versing randoms on a random stage. Pure random fun!

The Scenario
I still main Samus, as well. She's my best character, and my friends fear her, even though I'm less skilled with the Zero Suit.

However, I simply cannot play competitively. I've discovered that I'm absolutely terrible with all the characters that could be considered high/top tier, especially Meta-Knight

LLLLLink
Originally posted by The Scenario
I still main Samus, as well. She's my best character, and my friends fear her, even though I'm less skilled with the Zero Suit.

However, I simply cannot play competitively. I've discovered that I'm absolutely terrible with all the characters that could be considered high/top tier, especially Meta-Knight

I plan on going Link/Peach at MLG Raleigh, but I don't expect to do too hot, especially if I get a suicide pool, like M2K or Ally. I hope I get guys I can beat like Dark Peach or DieSuperFly.

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
No items, Fox only, Final Destination!

That arena is terrible. Straight out fighting, no usage of obstacles or terrain. That arena and the "No Items" function is the opposite of what Super Smash Bros should be.

Ridley_Prime
You never heard that line before? In all seriousness, I'm not much of a Fox user, and I get tired of FD easily.

Obsidian Fury
Never heard it before.

menokokoro
jigglypuff. has the most devestating attack...when it hits

LLLLLink
Originally posted by menokokoro
jigglypuff. has the most devestating attack...when it hits

Up-throw>Rest is a true combo on a lot of characters.

The Scenario
Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
Never heard it before.

It's a fairly popular joke for most of the reasons you listed. Tournament/competetive players tend to use only Final Destination because it's a plain stage and removes a percieved "luck factor." Same thing with items; competetive players absolutely hate randomness in all forms. The thing with Fox is that he was considered to be the single best character in Melee, and the stereotypical tournament player uses only Fox.

Thus, the phrase was born. No luck, no outside influence, just pure skill with the "best" character, which is indeed not what the game is meant to be about. It's less funny when explained.

LLLLLink
Originally posted by The Scenario
It's a fairly popular joke for most of the reasons you listed. Tournament/competetive players tend to use only Final Destination because it's a plain stage and removes a percieved "luck factor." Same thing with items; competetive players absolutely hate randomness in all forms. The thing with Fox is that he was considered to be the single best character in Melee, and the stereotypical tournament player uses only Fox.

Thus, the phrase was born. No luck, no outside influence, just pure skill with the "best" character, which is indeed not what the game is meant to be about. It's less funny when explained.

In the end, however, it was kinda hard not to be skilled with Fox, after so many encounters. Melee guys are awesome. cool
Link, Zelda and Mario ftw.

Cant have a Melee thread without this:

pD_imYhNoQ4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.