Did the Darkside Improve Anakin's Fighting Skill?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
its been touched on many times, but never a topic...at least i searched and couldnt find anything.

now, before people start quoting GL, keep in mind, im not asking if the darkside improved anakin all around. its clear that by allowing his passion to overtake him, his mind was clouded with rage and arrogance,
causing him to make the near fatal mistake at the end.

on the floating platform, he pulled out his ace-in-the-hole, so to speak. by that i mean the flip over obiwan around to the back and attack. i firmly believe thats why obiwan knew exactly where to strike when anakin tried the exact same move. he gave away his surprise move prematurely and imho thats why he lost. fool me once...shame on me. fool me twice shame on you. if he had been thinking clearly, he would have had a strategy behind it and just may have bested obiwan.

when anakin fought dooku, it seems clear to me that once dooku dared anakin to release his anger, anakin did just that. the skillfull moves we saw disapeared and anakin just began swinging his saber in a sort of hacking motion, allowing raw power to overtake dooku. also, after cutting dooku's hands off and doing that head scissors thing, you could see the want in his eyes to kill dooku right there.
not out of the thought "he's too dangerous" but more of a "i got you NOW mother******!!!!!" even when he said "i shouldnt" those were just the obligatory words of a failed jedi, since he sooooo wanted to for satisfaction. i think thats proof that it was his anger that killed dooku.

what i believe is that although the most important aspect of a jedi's skill was lacking (level head to outsmart his opponent) he was more powerful and dare i say more skilled in technique as a duelist when he turned.

so yeah...thats what i believe. apart from his poor decision making, anakin was a better fighter as a sith lord.

what do you think?

Ken Kenobi
I think that he was only better because he was no longer holding anything back.

AntniEllison
are you sayin was he better jus in EIII or the whole OT as well coz if so i agree that as a sith lord he was a better fighter and with the time inbetween EIII n EIV he also perfected his fighting skills.

PVS
Originally posted by AntniEllison
are you sayin was he better jus in EIII or the whole OT as well coz if so i agree that as a sith lord he was a better fighter and with the time inbetween EIII n EIV he also perfected his fighting skills.

but he was basically a cripple after ep3.
perhaps he improved his use of the force outside of duelling. for example by way of choking (effortless in ep4 and unlimited range in ep5) but as far as duelling he was ruined.

Stun
he had so much going on emotionally during Attack of the Clones, i.e - the death of his mother and his love for Padme which would obviously be a hindrance to his fighting ability. He couldnt fight with patience as a Jedi because of these emotions, and he couldnt fully express his anger due to his lack of control. During the Clone Wars, he grew much stronger and disciplined, yet he couldnt rely on his Jedi training to win large scale battles - some of which were against impossible odds, yet by using his anger, he could change the outcome. Yet at the back of his mind, he wanted to do what was right - and he naturally thought the Jedi embraced that, until Palpatine ofcoarse offered him a way out, and convinced him that he was doing right by Palpatine. I think for all of his needs, it was inevitable that Anakin would turn. Palpatine embraced his needs, which not only allowed him to feel comfortable about what he was doing, but it ultimately made him a better fighter.

darkjedi132
^^^couldnt hav said it better myself^^^

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by PVS
but he was basically a cripple after ep3.
perhaps he improved his use of the force outside of duelling. for example by way of choking (effortless in ep4 and unlimited range in ep5) but as far as duelling he was ruined. aggreed

by the way nice sig

overlord
All I know is that Yoda said that the dark side is an easy way to power..

16carlos1989
Originally posted by overlord
All I know is that Yoda said that the dark side is an easy way to power..

i dont think it improved anakins fighting ability, the dark side that is, because think of how anakin ended up if anakin hadnt let rage take over then he wouldnt be in the suit. Even though it is a cool suit, think of how much more agile he would of been if he hadnt let his rage loose then he would of been a way better fighter for years to come.

yeah even though anakin gained power from turning to the dark side, it didnt leave him with agility, fighting prowess, or capability. and yeah he did improve his usage of the force when not using the lightsaber but it still mucked him up.

where's the use of the lightsaber in 'Return of the Jedi' at the end, Anakin was useless and the last move he did was the 'lift and throw' which wasnt exactly the best of throws or wasnt exactly the greatest ending for Anakin, if he wasnt in the suit he would of been able to go out with a band. and i mean literally.

overlord
Why did you quote me?

16carlos1989
Originally posted by overlord
Why did you quote me?
i didnt mean to i meant to quote the very first person i'm new anyway.

PVS
Originally posted by 16carlos1989
i dont think it improved anakins fighting ability, the dark side that is, because think of how anakin ended up if anakin hadnt let rage take over then he wouldnt be in the suit. Even though it is a cool suit, think of how much more agile he would of been if he hadnt let his rage loose then he would of been a way better fighter for years to come.

yeah even though anakin gained power from turning to the dark side, it didnt leave him with agility, fighting prowess, or capability. and yeah he did improve his usage of the force when not using the lightsaber but it still mucked him up.

where's the use of the lightsaber in 'Return of the Jedi' at the end, Anakin was useless and the last move he did was the 'lift and throw' which wasnt exactly the best of throws or wasnt exactly the greatest ending for Anakin, if he wasnt in the suit he would of been able to go out with a band. and i mean literally.

you completely missed the point.

i didnt ask if having his limbs hacked off and having to live in an iron lung improved his fighting ability. i asked if he was a better fighter when he used the dark sideof the force in ep3. (disregarding his stupid move which ended his career and a master duelist)

16carlos1989
Originally posted by PVS
you completely missed the point.

i didnt ask if having his limbs hacked off and having to live in an iron lung improved his fighting ability. i asked if he was a better fighter when he used the dark sideof the force in ep3. (disregarding his stupid move which ended his career and a master duelist)

that is what i mean though, if u read it, i do mean when anakin uses the dark side of the force. read it thoroughly.

PVS
you opened and closed your argument siting only mechanical vader, and the points stated in the second paragraph do not specify pre-suit vader. hence the vagueness, then misunderstanding.

16carlos1989
Originally posted by PVS
you opened and closed your argument siting only mechanical vader, and the points stated in the second paragraph do not specify pre-suit vader. hence the vagueness, then misunderstanding.

Ok let me sum up my point to save confusion and annoyance.
i dont think the dark side improved anakins fighting ability, i believe it was all his rage and not the dark side. even though the rage does lead to the dark side, it was all anakins anger that caused his improvement, or decline in ability whichever way you view it.

exanda kane
its just the whole philosophical thing about the dark side - its the easy way.

so instead of sparring, meditating and studying for a couple of decades, fall in love with some over political wench and you'll be just as powerful.

rubinator
it was more agressive

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.