ROTS Space Battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Clone-pilot
Was anyone else sorely disappointed with the space battle at the start of the film .
It just didn't have the same feel as the one's in ANH and ROTJ , you know with the :

"you got one on your tail...." and "....3 coming in from the top , I'm on the leader....." .

I'm aware that Lucas probably wanted to do something different and didn't want iyt to be too simular to the old sequals , but I feel it was a missed opportunity .
There where loads of stylish ideas that could have been used (that I thought of) that would have set it apart from the older films .

It's far too short , with far too little close up dog-fighting .

Ezekiel
Okay.

How about you redo the Scene?

Exactly.

Clone-pilot
Give me all the eqipment to totally redo the entire thing in CG and I'll do it .

If I had to write it I'd have had much more ship on ship chasing , crashing and exploding starfighters .
I'd have Anakin Skywalker flying his jedi starfighter in crazy spins and loops while annihilating all on-comers . I'd have had force activated gadgets in Obi wans ship .....

You mean to tell me that you were 100% satisfied with it . What happened to Lucas' taste for the amazing dogfights which made the originals so popular ???

DeVi| D0do
The space battles in ANH and ROTJ are far superior to the ROTS one... and if it weren't for Jake Lloyd and the intercutting of the gungans, the TPM one would be okay too. I like that the ROTS battle is different, but I definitely prefer the OT battles.

moviefreak_173
I thought it sucked. sad

Ushgarak
Not a fan of the ROTJ battle, myself.

((The_Anomaly))
this is because the ROTS battle was completely centered on 2 people. the battle also had no real, how should i say, major peril...

the ANH battle yavin was gonna be destroyed along with all the rebel forces.

the ROTJ battle was the epic final confrontation between the rebels and the imperial forces, it meant everything for the rebels to win that battle and destroy the death star.

TPM space battle the naboo forces had to destroy the trade federation command ship to stop the droid armies or they were screwed.

the ROTS battle had none of this, it was merely used to get anakin and obi-wan to GG's ship. it had no real feeling peril (though it was meant to, cause the capitial of the republic was under seige, but there was no foreshadowing to the importance of the battle so it lost any sort of meaning)

the ROTJ space battle is by far the best space battle in the SW saga imo.

JKozzy
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

the ROTJ space battle is by far the best space battle in the SW saga imo. yes

DeVi| D0do
this is because the ROTS battle was completely centered on 2 people. the battle also had no real, how should i say, major peril...

the ROTJ battle was the epic final confrontation between the rebels and the imperial forces, it meant everything for the rebels to win that battle and destroy the death star.

TPM space battle the naboo forces had to destroy the trade federation command ship to stop the droid armies or they were screwed.

the ROTS battle had none of this, it was merely used to get anakin and obi-wan to GG's ship. it had no real feeling peril (though it was meant to, cause the capitial of the republic was under seige, but there was no foreshadowing to the importance of the battle so it lost any sort of meaning)

the ROTJ space battle is by far the best space battle in the SW saga imo.
I agree. Though I think if the ANH battle had better effects it would take the cake. The ROTS battle is just pretty, there is no emotion there, or even any exhileration. It's there simply for its aesthetic value.

Tangible God

the ROTJ space battle is by far the best space battle in the SW saga imo. thumb up yes

HAROLD
Whoa, I haven't been around these parts in a while.

I actually enjoyed it, especially how it began. I mean, it had the longest take in any Star Wars film.

Stun
one word - enjoyable...

thats why people go to the movies - to escape, and i certainly did much of that through the opening battle

Mišt
I rewatched ROTS again yesterday for the first time in like 4 months. The OT battles have moments of 'grabbing the seat, yelling at the pilots to watch out, feeling the ships fly overhead'. They felt like you were in the battles. Everytime a rebel died, it was like 'oh man, they're getting wiped away'.

This one was just watching two ships fly through lots of explosions and lasers. There were so many moments where you'd expect something good to happen where it'd bring back the old feelings, but theres nothing. Pretty much the only part I felt out of the battle was right at the start when the two fighters fly straight over the cruiser, then dip sharply into the massive battle. Even that felt a little let down, I blame the camera work for this though. When clones died, there was no felling of remorse or anything erm

Lana
Meh, I didn't like the ROTJ battle too much, but overall I thought that movie was weak, compared to the rest. ANH's battle was my favorite, I think.

Next Venom_girl
Did anyone else think that whole thing with the "buzz droids" (little insectoid robots that rip up ships) was vaguley reminscent (though far less dramatic erm ) of the squidy sentinels (huge insectoid robots that rip up ships) from the Matrix?

Darth Hawkeye
I think there was nothing wrong with it except it just focused on two damn JEDI cant we see the people who make the cloen army damnit WHY CLONES. But if it was them and then a squadron maybe a bit better Good TOPIC I say

Clone-pilot
Wow I see I'm not the only one disappointed with it .

I agree with the comments about the lack of peril and emotion/ interaction between pilots .... but I actually blame the piss-poor nature of the battle on CG . The ANH and ROTJ battles used models and real explosions giving it a far more raw and edgy appearence .... In ROTS Lucas and his CG crew just went for pure scale kinda saying :
"Hey look , this is what we can do now , look how arty it is!!!" , while actually forgetting the most important elements : tension and excitement .
For the final SW movie ever made and the final chance to show Anakin's piloting skills on the big screen this really was a shockingly poor effort ....

"Here's where the funs begins....." (THIS LINE SHOULD BE HERALDED AS ONE OF THE MOST MISLEADING IN CINEMA HISTORY) .

The rest of the film is great though ....

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Clone-pilot
In ROTS Lucas and his CG crew just went for pure scale kinda saying : "Hey look , this is what we can do now , look how arty it is!!!" , while actually forgetting the most important elements...
This pretty much sums up Lucas & Co.'s philosophy for the whole prequel trilogy.

Ushgarak
I seriously cannot understand the reasoning that the ROTJ battle looked better for use of models- I reject that logic absolutely. And for an apparently final conflict, it was on a pretrty small scale. ROTJ wa salso heartless- there are only two pilots in that you care for as well, unlike the triumph that was the ANH Death Star run.

THe ROTS battle was in eaxctly the same style as the ROTJ one, but much more sophisticated. It also wasn't being continually cut away from.

overlord
Models > CGI.

Ken Kenobi
I also agree about the lack of emotion throughout the ROTS space battle. It was beautiful and stunning, but empty at the same time. To me, this pretty much sums up the entire PT. They are fun films, but lacking a lot to make a truly great series.

I would have preferred some other Jedi in other starfighters flying along with Anakin and Obi-Wan, cutting between all of them and having the others die off one by one (as in ANH) that would have added a lot more to the battle. Seeing the Jedi getting bested and losing more of the peacekeepers of the galaxy instead of expendable clones.

tlbauerle
Word...

Spartan005
I loved the opening space battle. I mean sure it didn't have the same emotion as the original ones, but that's b/c it wasn't exactly a huge battle that would decide the fate of the galaxy. And btw I loved how the two fighters dived straight into the huge battle.... it was insane! droolio

Red Superfly
A New Hope has the best space battle of any movie.

exanda kane
Yes!

Spartan005
NO!

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Clone-pilot
Was anyone else sorely disappointed with the space battle at the start of the film .
It just didn't have the same feel as the one's in ANH and ROTJ , you know with the :

"you got one on your tail...." and "....3 coming in from the top , I'm on the leader....." .

I'm aware that Lucas probably wanted to do something different and didn't want iyt to be too simular to the old sequals , but I feel it was a missed opportunity .
There where loads of stylish ideas that could have been used (that I thought of) that would have set it apart from the older films .

It's far too short , with far too little close up dog-fighting .

I agree. smile It's a crappy example of an exciting, perilous space battle.

That's because it wasn't supposed to be.

It's a transitional sequence.

It reintroduces Obi-wan and Anakin(for those who didn't read any EU or watch Clone Wars), it shows that the clone wars are full on raging, and it takes our heroes into the lions den to re-match dooku/be tempted by the dark side.

It's supposed to look cool and interesting as our heroes make their way through the mess to the chancellor, assisted by thier clones.

It does. big grin

sithsaber408
The space battle is fought primarily by the Stardestroyers and donought ships, and is not the focus of the opening 15 min.

It is merely the SETTING. wink

Twilight Janick
The donut ships to which you refer are called Droid Control Ships. Star Trek does better large-scale space battles.

sithsaber408
Cool.

Thanks for the clarification. smile

Any response to the post? wink

Twilight Janick
At least Star Trek tries to make space battles as large as this one more than mere settings, unlike the ROTS space battle.

sithsaber408
Right you are. smile

Star Trek does make a large space battle a set piece.

So does starwars, just not in EP3.

In ep3, it IS a setting (for the things I posted above).

It does that job well.

I wont beat the dead horse, so my point is this:

People who bashed the space battle in the opening page of this thread, for not being exciting, perilous, etc... didn't understand the point of the scene, and what they expected was something different than what they got.

I got what I expected. cool

J.M FcThumbs-Up

Tangible God
It wasn't that I didn't understand the opening scene, I read the spoilers. It was the fact that, unlike all the other major space battle in SW, this one lacked, "soul." It had no emotion or true feeling to it.

The ANH one--It was kinda "Destroy the Death Star or we're f*cked." 30 Rebels ships against the DS. DOne pretty well.

The ROTJ one-- "Do or die." Alliance fails, they're utterly finished and evil wins. Even the music gave that sense of urgency and adrenaline, something I noticed the ROTS one lacked.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Darth Hawkeye
I think there was nothing wrong with it except it just focused on two damn JEDI cant we see the people who make the cloen army damnit WHY CLONES. But if it was them and then a squadron maybe a bit better Good TOPIC I say

That reminds me of Red Leader.

"I flew with your father!"

From before ANH's Death Star battle?

You know what's funny? Vader is the one who shoots him down...

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Tangible God
It wasn't that I didn't understand the opening scene, I read the spoilers. It was the fact that, unlike all the other major space battle in SW, this one lacked, "soul." It had no emotion or true feeling to it.

The ANH one--It was kinda "Destroy the Death Star or we're f*cked." 30 Rebels ships against the DS. DOne pretty well.

The ROTJ one-- "Do or die." Alliance fails, they're utterly finished and evil wins. Even the music gave that sense of urgency and adrenaline, something I noticed the ROTS one lacked.

Right you are. smile

The opening battle doesn't have that urgency or peril, because THERE IS NONE. Obi and Anakin are bad-assed Jedi, and Anakin is "the best starpilot in the galaxy" (thought you might appreciate a little OT stick out tongue )

They are just making their way through the mess to get to Palps. I didn't expect more than a few cool manuvers and some rocking visuals ( and you knoooow they werrree) till they got to him.

The real peril is in the general's quarters.

You read the spoilers, you knew that, you just dont like it.

wink

Twilight Janick

ladyjedi05
I liked it~ Its like art~ it was beautiful to look at~ Lucas is Brillant....

Cascador
well it's like someone else said, this spacebatlle wasn't about saving the galaxy, it was a diversion to kidnapp the chancelor. That is what they focused on...that is why they mainly concentrated on just the two Jedi who save the chancellor instead on focusing more on the battle itself which was indeed more grand-scaled than any spacebattle seen before in a star wars film. The opening was great tho, how the camera follows the fighters of Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really nice shots.

The best battle is indeed not the one of ROTS...but I can't decide between ANH and ROTJ either...cause in ANH they focus on one thing the battle...but in ROTJ the scale is much greater, but it wasn't the main thing happening in the film. You had the groundbattle and you had Luke fighting Vader. So both are different. Maybe ROTJ is my favourite cause I loved the scenes where the fighters actually began to attack the deathstar and fly over its surface and dive in the deathstar later flying through those corridors. That was really cool.

Tangible God
IMO, ANH and the ROTJ battle can't be compared. Like Cascador said, they've focusing on almost entirely different things. I like 'em both for different reasons.

Jack Daniels
space battle was stupid except for r2 I like watching him shock shit...lol

overlord
All the portrayed wars in the PT were horribly dissapointing but they are good in SW Battlegrounds II. But just imagine how SWBGII would have been if Lucas had actually spent some time in making up sci-fi wars.
That would've freaking rocked!

Tangible God
I was so freakin's disappointed by the BGII space battles. They were tiny, miniscule.

overlord
I don't even have the game actually.. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.