An Atheist celebrating Christmas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
i know a guy who is an admitted atheist. well, i was talking to him a while back and he was talking about how he was late on his Xmas shopping.
i have a question....does an atheist have the right to celebrate christmas?

LethalFemme
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
i know a guy who is an admitted atheist. well, i was talking to him a while back and he was talking about how he was late on his Xmas shopping.

do christians?................does anyone?..................if there are ppl who i wont name who do........ he can

powerfulone1987
yes

Rogue Jedi
no, i dont think he does. i am not jewish, so i do not celebrate hannukah. nor do i celebrate chinese new year.

Ladyluck

Anyone has the right to celebrate Christmas, in my opinion.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ladyluck
Anyone has the right to celebrate Christmas, in my opinion.
christmas is the birth of christ. if you do not believe in christ, what right do you have to celebrate?

powerfulone1987
no, i dont think he does. i am not jewish, so i do not celebrate hannukah. nor do i celebrate chinese new year.

well it's a good thing, you don't have the right to tell this person what they have the right to do huh.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
well it's a good thing, you don't have the right to tell this person what they have the right to do huh.
i know this, but the question still stands. isnt it like a conflict of interest?

powerfulone1987
yes, but they still can do it

Lana
A lot of people simply celebrate Christmas as a chance to get together with family and friends. Religion doesn't have to play into it, you realize.

Rogue Jedi
i disagree. this shows that we have forgotten what christmas is all about. if you dont believe in christ, you have no right celebrating Xmas. this is just my opinion, mind you.

Darth Macabre
If you truely believed what you just said, then you would'nt tarnish Christmas' name by calling it x-mas.

Raven Guardia
STARTERS: I know what I am about to say will p!ss most of you off. But its my Opinion. An Opinion Only, dont take it as me forcing my belifes on you guys. Many seem to be upset when I talk about this.

Many people consider Christmas a time for gifts,food,family...those people who see only that celebrate no matter if they believe in Christ or not.

However those who look at from a relgious point of view see it as the time to help others and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and be with family and still give gifts(which seems to have become the meaning of christmas these days roll eyes (sarcastic) ). When looking at it from the reglious view, some think that only Christians should celebrate since technically it is a religious holiday.

I, like to celebrate Christmas from a Christian point of view (I believe in God and Christ.) I think any can celebrate it, but I also believe when celebrating they should stop and realize the true meaning of Christmas and not just the fact they will get gifts.

Ladyluck
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
STARTERS: I know what I am about to say will p!ss most of you off. But its my Opinion. An Opinion Only, dont take it as me forcing my belifes on you guys. Many seem to be upset when I talk about this.

Many people consider Christmas a time for gifts,food,family...those people who see only that celebrate no matter if they believe in Christ or not.

However those who look at from a relgious point of view see it as the time to help others and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and be with family and still give gifts(which seems to have become the meaning of christmas these days roll eyes (sarcastic) ). When looking at it from the reglious view, some think that only Christians should celebrate since technically it is a religious holiday.

I, like to celebrate Christmas from a Christian point of view (I believe in God and Christ.) I think any can celebrate it, but I also believe when celebrating they should stop and realize the true meaning of Christmas and not just the fact they will get gifts.
Very well said. clap

Ushgarak
Christmas has long been co-opted as a secular time of celebration- in the same way Christianity originally co-opted pagan celebrations and made it a Christian one.

So yes, of course atheists can celebrate Christmas. It just has no religious significance to them.

Darth Macabre

well said.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ladyluck
Very well said. clap
i agree.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
If you truely believed what you just said, then you would'nt tarnish Christmas' name by calling it x-mas.
huh? thats just a short way of saying it. it doesnt tarnish it.

Darth Macabre
Yes it does. You don't see the christian church running around saying Merry X-mas do you? I went to catholic school my whole life, if I ever said x-mas in side those hall's I would have gotten detention. Infact my friend did last year.

Lana
Yes it does. You don't see the christian church running around saying Merry X-mas do you? I went to catholic school my whole life, if I ever said x-mas in side those hall's I would have gotten detention. Infact my friend did last year.

You know what X-mas means, right? X is a Greek letter (chi), which is the first letter of Christ when written in Greek. It's simply an abbreviation, that's all.

fruits
christmas is the birth of christ. if you do not believe in christ, what right do you have to celebrate?
christmas is the birth of christ, but we've turned it into something totally different. it's now santa claus and a crapload of free presents. hanukah and such is a specific religions holiday, christmas is really universal. i know jewish people who do christmas actually, and all of my atheist friends do christmas. you can't just say, HEY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

LethalFemme

isnt it funny how the thing that piss ppl off the most is the truth?

fruits
amen

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Lana
You know what X-mas means, right? X is a Greek letter (chi), which is the first letter of Christ when written in Greek. It's simply an abbreviation, that's all.

Yes but that is taking from Eastern Orthodox church. Me, being from a catholic school, was always taught to never go by what the eastern church things after the great Schism.

Demarest

yes thank you, someone with great sense. Thank you for posting the truth.

here's a xmas cookie

Lana
Yes but that is taking from Eastern Orthodox church. Me, being from a catholic school, was always taught to never go by what the eastern church things after the great Schism.

Meh, personally, I think that's just silly.....

I was raised in a Catholic family, never went to Catholic school though (thankfully), but no one in the church I went to when I was a kid cared about abbreviating it to X-mas.

Rogue Jedi
well, excuuuuuuuuse me....CHRISTMAS....better? lol

Darth Macabre
well, excuuuuuuuuse me....CHRISTMAS....better? lol

She was defending you. lol

Lana, I personally dont care either way. But it's so ingrained into my mind, that its a natural reaction these days.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by fruits
christmas is the birth of christ, but we've turned it into something totally different. it's now santa claus and a crapload of free presents. hanukah and such is a specific religions holiday, christmas is really universal. i know jewish people who do christmas actually, and all of my atheist friends do christmas. you can't just say, HEY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!
i know you cant say "dont do that". i think that if someone is an atheist and celebrates CHRISTMAS, then they are a complete idiot.

fruits
let me add that if your gonna be like, atheists can't celebrate christmas!!!! then you're just as bad as the people trying to get the christ out of christmas. it's stooping to the same level but in a totally opposite level. let them do what they want, doesn't hurt anybody

Ushgarak
Not at all. Like I say, the meaning of Christmas has broadened- it is no longer something only for the religious.

Things change- get used to it. Christmas is becoming increasingly secular and divorced from its religious origins. It has happened before and it is happening again.

fruits
i know you cant say "dont do that". i think that if someone is an atheist and celebrates CHRISTMAS, then they are a complete idiot.
i think you're a complete idiot, what else are they gonna do?? just not do anything december 25th except hang out? maybe have a no-god party and give gifts?? this is all sarcasm if you didnt pick it up.

Rogue Jedi
i think you're a complete idiot, what else are they gonna do?? just not do anything december 25th except hang out? maybe have a no-god party and give gifts?? this is all sarcasm if you didnt pick it up.
are you an atheist? do you love atheists? then why are you calling me an idiot?
you are taking this way too personally.

Rogue Jedi
let me rephrase the question. when you celebrate christmas, do you do so just for the gifts?

Lana
Really, why does this matter?

Let people celebrate what they want. It doesn't hurt or effect you in anyway, so why should anyone care whether or not someone celebrating Christmas is religious or not?

Ushgarak
Pretty much, yup. It is the traditional time of year for gift exchange (and by extension, the coming together of family for that exchange). Nothing wrong with that.

Demarest
Actually it would be good of you guys to back up these statements with Bible Quotes.

fruits
i am not an atheist, but over 75% of my friends are, and i think it'd be stupid if they didnt celebrate christmas. and i kinda do just do it for the gifts. think about it, do you really sit down on christmas and be like, oh goody, it's jesus' b-day, happy b-day to jesus! no, you wake up , go to the christmas tree and start rippin away at wrapping paper. you're not a complete idiot, i just wanted to use a comback, but just like Ush said, christmas has totaly lost its true meaning and it has just turned in to getting some presents.

Rogue Jedi
if you are an atheist, you believe in something. you believe that there is no god. by celebrating christmas, you are celebrating the birthday of a being that you do not believe in.
its like a vegetarian eating meat. if someone is a sworn vegetarian and they have a burger, they cease to be vegetarians.
if someone is muslim and they eat pork when they are not supposed to, they cease to become muslim.
if someone is buddhist and they celebrate hannukah, they cease being a buddhist.

dont give me this tradition crap. if someone is really an atheist, then they wouldnt celebrate christmas. of all the days of the year, i would think that this is the day that they would stand by their beliefs the most.

fruits
but you see, greed overpowers beliefs in this situation. atheists would rather get crap loads of free stuff then make a point to nobody. why don't they just call it Xmas, then suddenly its just a day they get presents that happens to be the same as christ's birth

Lana
Except, as has been said countless times, many people do not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, but rather as a day to get together with everyone and give gifts. A lot of people don't even celebrate Christmas on Christmas day itself.

fruits
exactly

hotsauce6548
A lot of people simply celebrate Christmas as a chance to get together with family and friends. Religion doesn't have to play into it, you realize.

Exactly.

People will celebrate what they want, and you have no control over it, whatsoever.

Demarest
but you see, greed overpowers beliefs in this situation. atheists would rather get crap loads of free stuff then make a point to nobody. why don't they just call it Xmas, then suddenly its just a day they get presents that happens to be the same as christ's birth

they're such assholes. I hope they get shot

Rogue Jedi
by receiving the gifts they are denouncing their ways of atheism.

hotsauce6548
by receiving the gifts they are denouncing their ways of atheism.

Not if they aren't celebrating it as a religious holiday.

Who says it has to be religious?

LethalFemme
cant we just stop arguin and agree im too really, really good looking already damn!furious

Demarest
aethists have no right to celebrate a holiday that's not for them

Rogue Jedi
the simple fact that they are using the day as an excuse to get gifts goes against everything they believe in.
if atheists celebrated satans birthday, who here would use the day as an excuse to get gifts?

Lana
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Not if they aren't celebrating it as a religious holiday.

Who says it has to be religious?

Exactly. Seems that people don't like this, though.

Lana
Originally posted by Demarest
aethists have no right to celebrate a holiday that's not for them

You have no right to decide who can celebrate what eek!

LethalFemme
You have no right to decide who can celebrate what eek!

sure the hell doesnt lol

Demarest
hoochie, they're not allowed to celebrate a holiday that's not 4 them.

Imagine if you celebrated chines new year just 4 fireworks would that sound good?

fruits
the simple fact that they are using the day as an excuse to get gifts goes against everything they believe in.
if atheists celebrated satans birthday, who here would use the day as an excuse to get gifts?
goddamnit atheists don't believe in satan you idiot. they dont believe in god satan jesus, any of it.

and what kind of a conceded person says someone doesnt ahve the right to celebrate a day because of they believe. that's terrible. and also...........

hotsauce6548

Imagine if you celebrated chines new year just 4 fireworks would that sound good?

There you go again.

Look in a mirror. Who the hell are you to tell somebody else what they can and cannot celebrate?

Lana

If someone wants to, then they can. Simple as that. As it doesn't in anyway bother you if someone who's not religious celebrates Christmas, why do you even care?

People can celebrate whatever holidays they please. You don't like that, well, too bad for you.

fruits
Originally posted by LethalFemme
cant we just stop arguin and agree im too really, really good looking already damn!furious
amen

fruits

hellz yes, i'd do it

LethalFemme

hoochie...........who are you calin a hoochie?

funny thing is when some ppl hear that others dont worship the same god as them the automatically think they worship satan and its the clear opposite of that you need to read the text a little more carefully erm

amen

can i get a witness lmao

Tptmanno1
Here's the bottom line.
I don't tell you how to be Christian, even though I could and point out multiple hypocrisies to your faith.
You don't tell me how to be athiest.
And we deal.
You do things your way, I do them mine,
If I say I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday. Then thats what I do. You can't come back and say "No you don't." Simply because thats my opinion and my actions.
What If I said "Why do Christians Pollute the pagan celebration of the winter equinox with Jesus?"
That came first ya know...

Demarest
I wasn't speaking to u, i was speaking to hoochie Lana

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Here's the bottom line.
I don't tell you how to be Christian, even though I could and point out multiple hypocrisies to your faith.
You don't tell me how to be athiest.
And we deal.
You do things your way, I do them mine,
If I say I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday. Then thats what I do. You can't come back and say "No you don't." Simply because thats my opinion and my actions.
What If I said "Why do Christians Pollute the pagan celebration of the winter equinox with Jesus?"
That came first ya know...

I think I just pooped myself! eek!

Tptmanno1
Don't pull that shit. Thats flaming pure and simple and WILL get you banned.

hotsauce6548
Don't pull that shit. Thats flaming pure and simple and WILL get you banned.

Doesn't help that she's a moderator. no expression

Lana
Bashing is a no-no happy

Demarest
hey guys, look at this article on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

can u belive that.

Rogue Jedi
goddamnit atheists don't believe in satan you idiot. they dont believe in god satan jesus, any of it.

and what kind of a conceded person says someone doesnt ahve the right to celebrate a day because of they believe. that's terrible. and also...........
again with calling me an idiot. whats with that? is that all you do, insult people that are trying to make a point? and if that is your best shot, then consider me not insulted.

the whole point of celebrating something on a given day is that you believe in what is being celebrated.
since you are taking this way too literal, let me rephrase the question....

if SATANISTS celebrated satans birth day on a given day, would you use it as an excuse to get gifts? is that better? do i need to speak slower, or are my words too big for you?

BTW: it is spelled conceited, not conceded, brainiac. wink

LethalFemme
Doesn't help that she's a moderator. no expression

l know someone not thinking lol

just cause ppl dont agree with u doesnt mean u have to insult them erm

Tptmanno1
Its true.
EDIT: To Demarest

Mišt
This thread is queerno expression

hotsauce6548
again with calling me an idiot. whats with that? is that all you do, insult people that are trying to make a point? and if that is your best shot, then consider me not insulted.

the whole point of celebrating something on a given day is that you believe in what is being celebrated.

if SATANISTS celebrated satans birth day on a given day, would you use it as an excuse to get gifts? is that better? do i need to speak slower, or are my words too big for you?

And who decides what Christmas is celebrating?

Maybe my family celebrates December 25 as a time to get together wih family and friends, and have a good time.

Just because I may not be celebrating the same thing as you doesn't mean I can't be celebrating at all.

I'll do what I want.

Lana
hey guys, look at this article on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

can u belive that.

Ummm....I thought everyone knew that?

Christmas has more or less been secularized, okay? You can still celebrate it as a religious holiday if you wish, but not everyone does.

BTW, Satanists do not believe in or worship Satan either. Do some research wink

Demarest
and hotsauce, before I reply, what religion are you?

hotsauce6548
and hotsauce, before I reply, what religion are you?

My family is mostly Christian, but I'm agnostic.

Tptmanno1
Don't you love it when Athiest get accused of worshiping Satan, Lana?

LethalFemme

hotsauce6548
so you should luv it then stick out tongue lol

OMFG, Mist! eek!

Lana
Don't you love it when Athiest get accused of worshiping Satan, Lana?

Yep....good old ignorance....

My family, btw, is nominally Catholic, though no one is religious, my mom is more or less agnostic, and I am atheist.

Demarest
I'm a catholic so that means me and Lana won't go to hell

hotsauce6548

But I will, correct?

Demarest
nah, that depends on you

Lana

Err, read my post again.

My family is Catholic.

I am not.

Nor do I believe in God, Satan, heaven nor hell.

Mišt
so you should luv it then stick out tongue lol

Yeah cause Im totally into that stuff no expressionOriginally posted by hotsauce6548
But I will, correct?

Yes, you go to hell, you go to hell and you die Kyle...I mean hotsauce..

Tptmanno1
How does one know exactly who is going to heaven or hell?

hotsauce6548

Rogue Jedi
Ummm....I thought everyone knew that?

Christmas has more or less been secularized, okay? You can still celebrate it as a religious holiday if you wish, but not everyone does.

BTW, Satanists do not believe in or worship Satan either. Do some research wink
wow, this coming from a moderator to boot. you guys are going out of your way, taking what i say too literally. lets try again, shall we?

lets say there was a certian religion that worshipped pond scum. they believe that pond scum is the one and only deity. if you are not a pond scum worshipper, and they celebrate the birth of pond scum on june 1st, are you gonna use this day as an excuse to get gifts?

man, i keep getting deja vu. sick

LethalFemme
OMFG, Mist! eek!

lmao

Yep....good old ignorance....

My family, btw, is nominally Catholic, though no one is religious, my mom is more or less agnostic, and I am atheist.

it's weird but i know alot of catholics who grew up catholic and it made them atheist lol

Demarest
If you've confessed your sins so that you cannot be unclean when you reach the afterlife. God will bring you to heaven.

Hopefully, I'll get into heaven. it's far better than this world anyway

Mišt

They flip a coin when you die, head = heaven, tails = hell.Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Kyle? Who is this... Kyle?

South....Park?

Lana

Well, according to the Bible, God forgives all.

But at the same time, he also condemns people to hell for a whole manner of things, most of which are completely trivial and irrelevant.

Kinda doesn't make much sense, hmmm?

No wonder I was kicked out of CCD. I was asking these kind of questions when I was nine years old.

Mišt
If you've confessed your sins so that you cannot be unclean when you reach the afterlife. God will bring you to heaven.

What happens if your right about to confess your sins but you die?no expression How will you unclean yourself?

hotsauce6548
wow, this coming from a moderator to boot. you guys are going out of your way, taking what i say too literally. lets try again, shall we?

lets say there was a certian religion that worshipped pond scum. they believe that pond scum is the one and only deity. if you are not a pond scum worshipper, and they celebrate the birth of pond scum on june 1st, are you gonna use this day as an excuse to get gifts?

man, i keep getting deja vu. sick

Number One: If this religion traditionally traded gifts on this day, and...

Number Two: If this religion became as widespread and popular as Christmas, then yes, I probably would celebrate it. But as an excuse to get gifts? No. If I got to see my family and friends because of this day, then yes, I would--most likely. As, I'd assume, many others.

Some of us are beyond that.

Demarest
Lana, what exact religion are you anyway.

You were baptised into the catholic community as a child so what r u?

Rogue Jedi

But at the same time, he also condemns people to hell for a whole manner of things, most of which are completely trivial and irrelevant.

No wonder I was kicked out of CCD. I was asking these kind of questions when I was nine years old.
if you accept god as your savior and turn your life over to him, you go to heaven...

if not, you go to hell......

dont you people realize the sacrifice he made for us?

Lana

Good old catch-all, confession.

That is part of why I do not like religion. You can lead a terrible life, be a murderer, rapist, etc, but so long as you confess, you're good.

Yet someone can lead a moral upstanding life yet not be religious, and according to the Bible will still be sent to hell.

Seems terribly hypocritical to me, and seems like some priorities got a bit mixed up when people were writing the Bible.

Tptmanno1

Don't waste your time, we don't care.
Anyway, The party's in hell!

hotsauce6548

laughing

Sounds like myself. stick out tongue

Mišt

Yeah thats rubbish....

Lets invent these 10 commandments, and a couple of sins, and if anyone breaks them, they'll go to hell!

Oh but dont worry about breaking them, God forgives you anyway no expression

Tptmanno1
yay for questioning!

Lana

I've said twice now. I do not follow any religion, I am not religious in any way. I am atheist, and while I do have some spiritual leanings, they are more in the way of Eastern philosophies, like Buddhism.

RJ -- you DO know that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday stolen by the Christians in the early days of Christianity when they first started to try and convert people, correct?

Rogue Jedi
Don't waste your time, we don't care.
Anyway, The party's in hell!
nice. say that when you are burning for all eternity and the devil is doing you with a 2 foot dildo laced in barb wire.

Mišt
if you accept god as your savior and turn your life over to him, you go to heaven...

if not, you go to hell......

dont you people realize the sacrifice he made for us?

Sacraficied? Jesus died....then a couple of days later got up and walked off...apparently...

How is that a sacrafice?

hotsauce6548
nice. say that when you are burning for all eternity and the devil is doing you with a 2 foot dildo laced in barb wire.

That sounds like a movie I watched the other day. shifty

I'll be waiting... ninja

Ew... that was nasty... even for me.

Tptmanno1
Dude,
Jesus got Pwned by a 2x4
What kinda savior is that?

Mišt

Getting water splashed on your head or whatever they do doesnt make you religious....no expression

hotsauce6548

Lana
Another thing I've noticed -- Christians seem to forget one little line in the bible.....goes something like this.....judge not lest ye be judged.

Demarest
yeah, i said where you baptised as a child? or at any time?

Obviously I belive and you would do that baptising babies is pointless. isn't it?

LethalFemme
Good old catch-all, confession.

That is part of why I do not like religion. You can lead a terrible life, be a murderer, rapist, etc, but so long as you confess, you're good.

Yet someone can lead a moral upstanding life yet not be religious, and according to the Bible will still be sent to hell.

Seems terribly hypocritical to me, and seems like some priorities got a bit mixed up when people were writing the Bible.

I read somewhere once that most ppl that become atheist used to be catholic and it was because as a religion they're so into the bible and the more and more you read the less and less it makes sense erm

Rogue Jedi
Number One: If this religion traditionally traded gifts on this day, and...

Number Two: If this religion became as widespread and popular as Christmas, then yes, I probably would celebrate it. But as an excuse to get gifts? No. If I got to see my family and friends because of this day, then yes, I would--most likely. As, I'd assume, many others.

Some of us are beyond that.
if you celebrate this day in any way shape or form, and you are not a member of this religion, then you are a sellout, plain and simple.

hotsauce6548

Obviously I belive and you would do that baptising babies is pointless. isn't it?

I'm sorry. Can you rephrase that?

I seem to have gotten some wax in my eyes.

Demarest

Lana

I was raised in a Catholic family. I was baptised and made my communion. Doesn't mean a damn thing so far as I'm concerned though.

hotsauce6548
if you celebrate this day in any way shape or form, and you are not a member of this religion, then you are a sellout, plain and simple.

Call it a sell-out if you want. Who cares? You don't decide who should celebrate what, and who can and can't celebrate what. You also don't decide what a sell-out is, as my definition clearly conflicts with yours.

Rogue Jedi

Mišt
He was dead for a little while, duh. roll eyes (sarcastic)

No he was just a little tired and sleep for a while stick out tongueOriginally posted by LethalFemme
I read somewhere once that most ppl that become atheist used to be catholic and it was because as a religion they're so into the bible and the more and more you read the less and less it makes sense erm

Wait...the Bible not making sense? Show me ANYTHING in the Bible that makes sense erm

Lana

Makes sense to me.

I also find it ironic that for the most part, athiests know more of the ins and outs of religion than religious people do - probably because they studied it and came to their own conclusions about it.

hotsauce6548
jesus knew from boyhood what would happen to him. he was crucified, man. you think that doesnt hurt? he died for us. if that is not a sacrifice, what is? why do you think that self sacrifice earns you a one way ticket to heaven?

And what of all the others that died for their religions. Are their sacrifices not equal to his?

Lana
Good point wink

LethalFemme
Another thing I've noticed -- Christians seem to forget one little line in the bible.....goes something like this.....judge not lest ye be judged.

its also funny how all the big sins get replaced by the ones that arent on the top ten erm

hotsauce6548

Lana
its also funny how all the big sins get replaced by the ones that arent on the top ten erm

Even better is when God breaks a commandment.

Do not kill? Well damn, I guess we'll just have to ignore all the massacres that God himself did!

Tptmanno1
First born's?
Kill em all!!

BackFire
Christmas has transcended from a religious holiday to more or less a global human holiday. It is more to most people then simply "the celebration of Christs birthday", it is a time to celebrate all of lifes joys, family, friends,and other beauties that life has to offer. It's also a celebration of commercialism, which is what this country is all about.

I see no problem with an athiest celebrating the holiday. Just because he doesn't necessarily celebrate it for religious reasons, doesn't mean he has no right to recognize it and celebrate it for the other reasons mentioned above.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by BackFire
Christmas has transcended from a religious holiday to more or less a global human holiday. It is more to most people then simply "the celebration of Christs birthday", it is a time to celebrate all of lifes joys, family, friends,and other beauties that life has to offer. It's also a celebration of commercialism, which is what this country is all about.

I see no problem with an athiest celebrating the holiday. Just because he doesn't necessarily celebrate it for religious reasons, doesn't mean he has no right to recognize it and celebrate it for the other reasons mentioned above.

Well said.

Tptmanno1
Exactly

Rogue Jedi
And what of all the others that died for their religions. Are their sacrifices not equal to his?
when i say self sacrifice, i mean that if someone is fixing to be killed and you let yourself be killed to save them.
give me an example of someone who died for their religions. i am not saying that there are none, i just really want to know, so no snappy remarks please.

Demarest

Jesus died for us. He saved us for into getting into heaven. The Lord of God had known from the start that he was going to die for us and had accepted it.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
yes

Tptmanno1
Jesus died for us. He saved us for into getting into heaven. The Lord of God had known from the start that he was going to die for us and had accepted it.
How do you know he even existed? How do you know someone or a group of someones made him up?

Demarest
Even better is when God breaks a commandment.

Do not kill? Well damn, I guess we'll just have to ignore all the massacres that God himself did!

God never massacres anyone. It is his right to take away someone because he belives that is what's best. Might seem harsh but the person who's life is taken away is put away to a better place.

Rogue Jedi
exactly!!! this is what i am saying!!!!! he was condemned by the very people that had come to love him. he knew this would happen, and he held up his end. this took more guts than i can imagine.

LethalFemme

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire

Hurray for people with common sense big grin

Mišt
Shut the f uck up. Ignoring you anyways

laughing out loud Who are you?

jesus knew from boyhood what would happen to him. he was crucified, man. you think that doesnt hurt? he died for us. if that is not a sacrifice, what is? why do you think that self sacrifice earns you a one way ticket to heaven?

Plenty of people sacrafice themselves to save others, what was the point of his existence then? What makes him soley better than every other person who dies to save others? You get where Im going..?

I dont want to sound ignorant or anything, but I dont follow religion, so excuse me for sounding stupid...because....I am stupid...uneducated in these things.

I choose not to follow, because I choose not to. Now if God made another for of Jesus in modern times, when there can be recorded evidence of these things, then I'd probably change my views, but since all thats here is a book and a guy who died 2005 years ago, what makes me accept this way?

Some of the things written in the Bible are just beliefs, there are scientific FACTS that disprove these theories. And why does Christianity have to be the one sole religion? Why dont I believe in the Egyptian gods, or the Greek gods?

Lana
exactly!!! this is what i am saying!!!!! he was condemned by the very people that had come to love him. he knew this would happen, and he held up his end. this took more guts than i can imagine.

Actually, Jesus was crucified by the Romans because he was a criminal....crucifiction was considered the lowest form of executions, for the lowest of the criminals.

Tptmanno1
God never massacres anyone. It is his right to take away someone because he belives that is what's best. Might seem harsh but the person who's life is taken away is put away to a better place.
Why does he have that right?
Why is God a Hypocrite?
And what about the people that kill for God? Is that ok too?

fruits
this turned into which religion is right and which is wrong which is not the intent of the topic. christmas has become so popular that it can be celebrated as a religious holiday, or not. both ways work just fine. if this pond scum day grew so popular that it had almost lost its religious roots then i would celebrate it to get to hang out with family annd friends and to get some gifts. you're wondering why your getting a bunch of stupid remarks directed your way but it's because of your ignorance towards this topic and how you think you can decide what certain people celebrate

Rogue Jedi
How do you know he even existed? How do you know someone or a group of someones made him up?
your location says "playing chess with death." what exactly do you think happens when you die? dont you think that death, aka the grim reaper, is associated in some way with christ?

Demarest

He was a weak person, at the Garden of Gethsamene show's Christ's weakest time in life. He begs God into why and throws himself at him

WrathfulDwarf
*strokes beard*

The way I see it.....Evolution doesn't mention atheists at all. And the Bible doesn't mention anything about christmas trees and gifts.....so....to each his own. Joy throught the world! Merry Christmas.

Mišt

So why do people who commit sins and crimes get away with it? Why arent they taken before others?

Tptmanno1
your location says "playing chess with death." what exactly do you think happens when you die? dont you think that death, aka the grim reaper, is associated in some way with christ?
Thats from an Old Swedish movie Called "The Seventh Seal"
Its a very good movie about a Knight who comes back from the crusades, and ends up in a chess game with Death, and if he Lose's he dies, if he wins he lives, and he travels all around, seaching for god and what not.
Go rent it.

Demarest
Why does he have that right?
Why is God a Hypocrite?
And what about the people that kill for God? Is that ok too?

God is the ruler of the world, he is to judge everyone that is in his Kingdom. Life is only just the beginning for us, all of us will be given an immortal power in the next life

Tptmanno1
Avoiding the question...

LethalFemme
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
*strokes beard*

The way I see it.....Evolution doesn't mention atheists at all. And the Bible doesn't mention anything about christmas trees and gifts.....so....to each his own. Joy throught the world! Merry Christmas.

thanx merry christmas to you to big grin

BackFire
God....discussing religion on Christmas.....what is the world coming to?

*Plays new Nintendo DS*

Demarest

Tptmanno1
Hehe,
But its FUUNN...

Lana
God is the ruler of the world, he is to judge everyone that is in his Kingdom. Life is only just the beginning for us, all of us will be given an immortal power in the next life

Or he's just something made up by people a long long time ago.

I like that idea much better. Makes much more sense.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>