Santa Claus - No Blacks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GCG
Would it be fair to dismiss a black man from an application to fill in the role of Santa Claus at a Store or a Mall on the basis that he doesnt meet the requirements ?

Note to Mods: Please edit the poll to black and white instead of Yes & No respectively

debbiejo
But Santa lives at the North Pole...That's where all the fair skinned people live don't they?....Canada claimed him along with other Northern countries..... no expression

Though you already know there are black Santas, yes?...In the cities, many places.

GCG
Originally posted by debbiejo

Though you already know there are black Santas, yes?...In the cities, many places.

Yes I know. I am asking if it would be racist telling him:

"You didnt get the job because you are black"

and if its a case were its accepted.

shaber
IMO The anthropomorphic personification is not meant to be an aesthetic icon so the physical appearance shouldn't matter. It embodies an attitude rather than a physicality.

fini
hey here it dont matter, lol

guess that happens when "caucasian" people are in the smallllll minority

hotsauce6548
If it was for like, Sears or something, I think I would have to hire a caucasian man. No personal offense to the black man, but the children that came in would certainly notice. erm

shaber
I think it would depend on their demographic messed

whobdamandog
Don't you all understand the Modern race classification system..

Here's how it goes..

Everybody in the world, with the exception of those in the deepest darkest parts of East Africa, are considered "White"....

This includes the Ancient Egyptians..
The Arabs..
The Indians..
The Chinese..
The Japanese...
The Native Americans....
The Libyans...(only light skinned ones, this doesn't include the "Berbers"wink
The Ethiopians...(only light skinned one's)
The Sudanese..(only ones that have Arabic features)

Jesus was a "white" man too. As were all the original Israelites who mirgrated out of Egypt and Ethiopia. Just by looking at the Egyptians and Ethiopian people today, you can tell that the their descendants were all blonde haired blue eyed white people, with straight hair, because we all know that the lighter one's skin tone..the more protection they have against the sun's rays.

So yes Santa should be a white man, because the simple fact of the matter is that everyone in this world is white, and the few who are non-whites(ie East Africans) are the minorities.

The whole world is made up of nothing but white people....duhhh...

Fin

shaber
Well stupid people may prefer simpler categories, but that outlook is fallacious.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by shaber
Well stupid people may prefer simpler categories, but that outlook is fallacious.

I know that's why I posted the simpler categories, so that people like yourself wouldn't get too confused..wink

Fin

shaber
I never posted that I think along those lines, you are the one who did.

TwisterGameX
Santa is green..get over it.

Mišt
Originally posted by GCG
Would it be fair to dismiss a black man from an application to fill in the role of Santa Claus at a Store or a Mall on the basis that he doesnt meet the requirements ?

Note to Mods: Please edit the poll to black and white instead of Yes & No respectively

Good question, shows the true meaning of Christmas is shot out the window. What if a black guy took the role of Jesus in a religious play?

To the question, no its not fair to dismiss someone on the basic requirements of a fictional character blink Thats utterly stupid.

Tex
Originally posted by GCG

Of course not! I'd love to sit on a big black man's lap! smoke

GCG
laughing out loud Tex sitting on Santa's lap.

Santa: "What you you like for Christmas, Tex ? "

Tex: "Ohhhh ; More of This !"

Imperial_Samura
I remember when I was young, (well younger, as I'm not old) all the Nativity sets came with three wise men/kings of the whitest complexion. These days though most come with at least one black wise man, which I think is a good thing, as it's quite possible the wise men were black, if the wise men ever existed.

As to Santa, well, he is Santa to all people who celebrate Christmas, so I don't see why he can't be black or whatever, the way I see it, if a guy's qualified (though what qualification one needs to be a store Santa I don't know) he should get the job regardless of skin colour.

Of course Santa is based on a blend of images and figures that have been assimilated into the Coca Cola Santa image (good old Saint Nick would be spinning in his grave) - many of which have that white, westernised feel, which isn't really correct, but I guess if they wanted to be authentic and accurate to the Coke version, they could only use white people. But then they would also have to ban pimply teenagers, or any young person, thin people and people who don't wear glasses, as well as many others. Personally I think we should ditch the red Santa outfit and go back to the emerald green Robes, so Santa looks more like Dumbledore.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by GCG

Well, that depends on if the store sells the African version of Santa Claus products. Like the animatronic waving Santa. If the store sells xmas decorations that cater to the black popluation, then they should have no problem with their Santas being black.

Okay, in reality, Santa Claus is white, that's all there is to it. I find the notion of a black Santa Claus as silly as a black Kingpin.

chris_64256
Well they wouldnt get to work on time kids wouldnt understand what there saying you would have to keep a eye on them so they would not steal and most of them have a smell to them lol .. there should be black santas Kinda like the barbie thiing they just now got around to making different race barbies...

Capt_Fantastic
Political Correctness is a disease.

overlord
Santa Claus was created by the coca cola company anyway. He sucks.

He originally was Saint Niclaus or however the hell you want to translate it and he had black helpers instead of elves and he lived in Spain instead of the North Pole.
Coca Cola made him into a fat coca cola drinking man.

But the real man who became this saint was a guy from Turkey..
So he was never white to begin with.

GCG
I never knew Santa Claus (v. Red & White ) was a coca-cola product.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by overlord
Santa Claus was created by the coca cola company anyway. He sucks.

He originally was Saint Niclaus or however the hell you want to translate it and he had black helpers instead of elves and he lived in Spain instead of the North Pole.
Coca Cola made him into a fat coca cola drinking man.

But the real man who became this saint was a guy from Turkey..
So he was never white to begin with.

Dude..did you not understand the race classification system..okay..I'll break it down a bit more.

Caucasion = Turkish, Lebanese(light skinned), Arabic, Indian, Native American, Egyptian, Persian, Ethiopian(light skinned), Southeast Asian, Chinese(Northern Part), Japanese, Mexican, Puerta Rican(light skinned), Pretty much every group of people that exist on this planet, with the exception of very dark skinned east africans, that have real wooly hair.(The ones that have straight hair, however, can be considered "caucasian"wink

Everyone categorized as "caucasian", is just broken up into the broad range of different ethnic groups mentioned above.

Afro Cheese
Santa has a certain image and anyone who can't fulfill that image should assume they are disqualified from the role. Would it be wrong to tell a women she can't be santa cause of her gender?

More importantly.. turn the tables a bit. How would people react to a movie about John Henry in which the actor who played John Henry was a white guy?

overlord
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Dude..did you not understand the race classification system..okay..I'll break it down a bit more.

Caucasion = Turkish, Lebanese(light skinned), Arabic, Indian, Native American, Egyptian, Persian, Ethiopian(light skinned), Southeast Asian, Chinese(Northern Part), Japanese, Mexican, Puerta Rican(light skinned), Pretty much every group of people that exist on this planet, with the exception of very dark skinned east africans, that have real wooly hair.(The ones that have straight hair, however, can be considered "caucasian"wink

Everyone categorized as "caucasian", is just broken up into the broad range of different ethnic groups mentioned above. What's your point? I'm contributing to the thread whereas you are over-analysing black and white.
Originally posted by GCG
I never knew Santa Claus (v. Red & White ) was a coca-cola product. Yeah, it's pretty sad that almost nobody knows this about the most popular tradition of continents.
But somehow, the coca cola company managed to take this certain tradition and change it for their commercialization.

DrDoom101
Originally posted by GCG

Note to Mods: Please edit the poll to black and white instead of Yes & No respectively this black guy applied for Santa Claus at a mall near my house. And the manager rejected him because he was black. SO the black dude told the police and the manager was fired. And they made the black guy the manager AND the Santa Claus.

Gregory
People don't know it because it isn't true. The "modern" Santa Clause was well-established in the 20's; Coke did its Santa thing in the 30's.

Dark Urizen
Originally posted by Mi?t
Good question, shows the true meaning of Christmas is shot out the window. What if a black guy took the role of Jesus in a religious play?

To the question, no its not fair to dismiss someone on the basic requirements of a fictional character blink Thats utterly stupid.

Awesome. Can't wait to see your version of Othello, starring a big burly white man roll eyes (sarcastic)

GCG
Originally posted by DrDoom101
this black guy applied for Santa Claus at a mall near my house. And the manager rejected him because he was black. SO the black dude told the police and the manager was fired. And they made the black guy the manager AND the Santa Claus.

But the police have no right to get the manager fired; their job is to uphold the law. Do you mean he (the applicant) took the matter to the civil court and won the case ?

overlord
What a load of crap.. Because a guy refused a black man a position, the police make the black man manager?
Dr. Doom.. Don't make me laugh.

Eis
It's definitley not a racist thing to do, Santa has been portrayed as a white old guy for too long, people are just looking for trouble.
If people hire black people for the job, that's fine it's their decision but if they don't, that's fine too.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by shaber
IMO The anthropomorphic personification is not meant to be an aesthetic icon so the physical appearance shouldn't matter. It embodies an attitude rather than a physicality.

Anthropomorphic?

GCG- in the UK at least, that would be perfectly legal (not necessarily correct, but legal) behaviour. As with Chinese workers in an authentic Chinese restaurant, etc.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Santa has a certain image and anyone who can't fulfill that image should assume they are disqualified from the role. Would it be wrong to tell a women she can't be santa cause of her gender?

More importantly.. turn the tables a bit. How would people react to a movie about John Henry in which the actor who played John Henry was a white guy?

John Henry, while a legend, is still based on possibly true events. Santa ain't real.

meep-meep
Actually, correction: Santa Claus is based on a historical figure, although that was before his name was changed to Santa Claus and commericalized in the U.S.
Also, the original St. Nicolas lived in South West Turkey so I doubt he had light pigmentation anyway.

http://www.unmuseum.org/santa.htm

overlord
It's pretty warped how they made his name santa..

FeceMan
Originally posted by GCG
Yes I know. I am asking if it would be racist telling him:

"You didnt get the job because you are black"

and if its a case were its accepted.
Yes, it would be considered 'racist'; however, specifically asking for a white person to play Santa Claus and then turning the person down for being black would NOT be racist.

Would it be weightist to turn down a skinny person for applying to be Santa Claus?

whobdamandog
Originally posted by meep-meep
John Henry, while a legend, is still based on possibly true events. Santa ain't real.

Did you know that John Henry was a white man?

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by TwisterGameX
Santa is green..get over it.

No, he's red

meep-meep
Did you know that John Henry was a white man?

Seriously? I thought he was supposed to be a black guy.

meep-meep
Originally posted by FeceMan
Yes, it would be considered 'racist'; however, specifically asking for a white person to play Santa Claus and then turning the person down for being black would NOT be racist.

Would it be weightist to turn down a skinny person for applying to be Santa Claus?

Do you think the requirements themself are racsist?

whobdamandog
Originally posted by FeceMan

That's actually a silly basis of comparison. Many "skinny" people do play Santa Claus. All they have to do is put on a beard..and stuff their clothing a bit.

Anyway..my true opinion is "who really cares." Being a Christian..I don't celebrate Christmas for the sake of Santa Claus..I celebrate it to give honor to Christ. Their is to much obsession over this "deity" of "Santa Claus".."nowadays"wink

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by meep-meep
Do you think the requirements themself are racsist?

It isn't racism. It's discrimination in a literal sense, but race is only incidentally the reason for the discrimination. It's hardly a racist action.

If someone wants to have a black Santa, then that's fine. If they don't, then it's for reasons of authenticity.

If it is in some instances based upon racism, then that's inherent in the person making the decision, not the situation itself.

debbiejo
I agree........OMG! If you switched the situation around and said I want a white "Black Sambo" in the play, well....You can have a white black sambo, but it just not as authentic.

Capt_Fantastic
Yeah, I often wonder why Corky on Life Goes On..was played by a retard! I mean, that actor is gonna get type-cast. And, why couldn't he be played by a black retard? I mean, everyone with Down Syndrome looks alike.

Black Rob
Originally posted by GCG

Note to Mods: Please edit the poll to black and white instead of Yes & No respectively Shouldnt matter

whobdamandog
Originally posted by debbiejo
I agree........OMG! If you switched the situation around and said I want a white "Black Sambo" in the play, well....You can have a white black sambo, but it just not as authentic.

Well don't you know that only the good parts go to white people? Can't have a white person playing the lowest of the low. White people own the the entire planet ya know. In fact God himself is white, he has long hair and a beard..kind of like Santa Claus..and Jerry Garcia.

Fin

debbiejo
Well don't you know that only the good parts go to white people? Can't have a white person playing the lowest of the low. White people own the the entire planet ya know. In fact God himself is white, he has long hair and a beard..kind of like Santa Claus..and Jerry Garcia.

Fin You're generalizing. All the good parts go to white people. I never said Jesus was white, if there was such a man. I think with most stories, you have to see where they originate from, then when acted out, it makes since to keep it authentic. But doesn't have to be for the stories sake.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.