How dare they!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Envy
How dare they give me very good Christmas, yet gave me shitty presents! Im 13 here and they gave me a chess and Twister. Thats all! Damnit! mad

AOR
Originally posted by General Envy
How dare they give me very good Christmas, yet gave me shitty presents! Im 13 here and they gave me a chess and Twister. Thats all! Damnit! mad

Chess is a very good mind builder. In playing it, one is able to apply certain life saving strategies in the game to real life. Twister keeps the body feasible and agile. In both your are exercising both you mind and body, you should be grateful. Than again, you could have not gotten anything at all.

Leo.M
Originally posted by General Envy

suck it up no expression

LiL nAstY GirL
Christmas is not about presents Ass

TwisterGameX
You lucky they didn't give you a flaming pile of shit.

a1hsauce
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
touche!

chess is awesome, youd learn alot if you played it

and Twister is probably one of the most sexual games ever moron! you should be bowing down to your parents!

AOR

It's not? Than what is it about, if I may ask?

LiL nAstY GirL
The birth of Christ wink

AOR
The birth of Christ wink

Oh really? And what if I may asked did Jesus get when he was born? I can assure you, Christ didn't get "presents" because he was born...

K.Diddy
Originally posted by TwisterGameX

laughing

clapping Not bad

laughing

LiL nAstY GirL
Originally posted by AOR
Oh really? And what if I may asked did Jesus get when he was born? I can assure you, Christ didn't get "presents" because he was born...

He did get gifts, but today's world revolves around the presants instead of what it should, the birth. It makes me sick how greedy people have gotten.

General Envy
Originally posted by TwisterGameX

Yes I am lucky I didn't get a flaming pile of shit...can't say same for you.

a1hsauce
Originally posted by AOR
Christ got presents cause He's King, they were metaphors/foreshadowing of what was to come.

AOR
He did get gifts, but today's world revolves around the presants instead of what it should, the birth. It makes me sick how greedy people have gotten.

For starters Christ wasn't born in December so that should already rule that meaning out. And since December is the month of the Patron Saint of Children (St. Nicholas, who got his reknown to giving presents to poor little children). I think it would be well funded to believe the meaning of Christmas is presents.

GCG
Originally posted by AOR

He got Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh...............while King Herod was sending him death threats.

a1hsauce
thats not what its about though...look at the word CHRISTMAS. and break it up...

CHRIST...MASS. its about JC. it says so in the name.

Christmas.

Lana
Even though Christmas is simply a pagan holiday stolen by the Christians long long ago?

On the topic of the thread....boohoo. Deal with it.

LiL nAstY GirL
Oh yeah? Then why do we go to Mass? And why at Mass do they talk about the birth of Christ and not mention presents at all?

Lana
Oh yeah? Then why do we go to Mass? And why at Mass do they talk about the birth of Christ and not mention presents at all?

Um, not everyone who celebrates Christmas GOES to mass. I certainly don't. Many people do not celebrate it for religious reasons.

GCG
Originally posted by Lana
Even though Christmas is simply a pagan holiday stolen by the Christians long long ago?

Only for those who lost their Christian values.

K.Diddy
Um, not everyone who celebrates Christmas GOES to mass. I certainly don't. Many people do not celebrate it for religious reasons.

That is true smile

AOR
Originally posted by a1hsauce
thats not what its about though...look at the word CHRISTMAS. and break it up...

CHRIST...MASS. its about JC. it says so in the name.

Christmas.

Break this up:

1). Sheperds don't send their flock out in THE WINTER
2). Christ recieved Gifts on his birthday.
3). Christmas began as a Pagan Holiday "Adopted" by the Catholic Church.

Dating back to 336 A.D., Christmas was first celebrated in ancient Rome, around 300 years after Christ's birth. It was a popular Christian holiday until the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s. Because pagan customs had been enfolded into the religious observance, many Protestants chose not to celebrate it at all, including the American Puritans. In the rest of colonial America, Christmas was a raucous public holiday. Hunting, dancing, and feasting were the custom in the country, while city streets filled with enthusiastic celebrants.

While merchants count the shopping days until Christmas, it is also a time to share with those less fortunate. Collecting and donating warm clothing, toys, and food is as American as bell-ringing "Sidewalk Santas." It is the season to rejoice with friends, family, and community and dream of "peace on earth" and goodwill for all.

a1hsauce
then theyre celebrating it because of the twisted card companys.

LiL nAstY GirL
Well, it is a religius holiday. If Jesus wasn't born then the Magi wouldn't have brought the gifts to him, resulting in no gifts today

AOR

Well technically everytime you go to mass you are reminded of Christ. Just this time they decided to light some candles and throw up some wreaths (not throw up like vomit, but throw the wreath up in decoration)

Lana
then theyre celebrating it because of the twisted card companys.

Um, no.

Holy shit, how many times tonight will I have to say this?

It has very much been secularized over the years, and many people simply take it as a day to get together with family. Religion does NOT need to play into it in any way.

Well, it is a religius holiday. If Jesus wasn't born then the Magi wouldn't have brought the gifts to him, resulting in no gifts today

You can celebrate it religiously then, but a lot of people don't.

AOR

Well technically the gift giving comes from the "Santa Clause" who is based on a real saint (St. Nicholas) who lived in Turkey in the 4th century. Saint Nicholas was renowned for his generosity and love of children. According to historical sources, he would drop coins down the chimney to preserve his anonymity and the dignity of his recipients

Darth Macabre
Twister is awesome, get yourself a girlfriend and you got a party.

You should be more happy about giving your parents something, not complaining about not getting anything good.

Lana
Originally posted by AOR
Well technically the gift giving comes from the "Santa Clause" who is based on a real saint (St. Nicholas) who lived in Turkey in the 4th century. Saint Nicholas was renowned for his generosity and love of children. According to historical sources, he would drop coins down the chimney to preserve his anonymity and the dignity of his recipients

yes many people celebrate St. Nicholas Day, which is December 6th. I remember in high school in German class my teacher would always bring in treats for us on that day.

LiL nAstY GirL
I understand celebrating it to be with family and stuff, but it is suppose to mean alot more than a day for presents.

MC Mike
I'm an atheist. I "celebrate" it. Give/recieve gifts, the like. Fun stuff.

...try and stop me.

Also - "Christmas trees" were originally used during the Roman holiday of Saturnalia, therefore have nothing to do with "Christmas". Thought I'd point that out.

Happy Holidays. stick out tongue

a1hsauce
Um, no.

It has very much been secularized over the years, and many people simply take it as a day to get together with family. Religion does NOT need to play into it in any way.

I really dont see how you can celebrate it only half way though... i mean thats like just going through the motions.Originally posted by AOR
Break this up:

1). Sheperds don't send their flock out in THE WINTER
2). Christ recieved Gifts on his birthday.
3). Christmas began as a Pagan Holiday "Adopted" by the Catholic Church.

Dating back to 336 A.D., Christmas was first celebrated in ancient Rome, around 300 years after Christ's birth. It was a popular Christian holiday until the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s. Because pagan customs had been enfolded into the religious observance, many Protestants chose not to celebrate it at all, including the American Puritans. In the rest of colonial America, Christmas was a raucous public holiday. Hunting, dancing, and feasting were the custom in the country, while city streets filled with enthusiastic celebrants.

While merchants count the shopping days until Christmas, it is also a time to share with those less fortunate. Collecting and donating warm clothing, toys, and food is as American as bell-ringing "Sidewalk Santas." It is the season to rejoice with friends, family, and community and dream of "peace on earth" and goodwill for all.
yah I understand that December 25 is not JC's bday..it could have been anytime...

Lana
I understand celebrating it to be with family and stuff, but it is suppose to mean alot more than a day for presents.

Well, if you want it to mean more than that to you, then that's fine, but it doesn't to many people.

Originally posted by MC Mike
I'm an atheist. I "celebrate" it. Give/recieve gifts, the like. Fun stuff.

...try and stop me.

Also - "Christmas trees" were originally used during the Roman holiday of Saturnalia, therefore have nothing to do with "Christmas". Thought I'd point that out.

Happy Holidays. stick out tongue

And Jesus wasn't even born in December, rather his birthday is sometime in early January I believe, but the 25th December was the date of a pagan holiday, so in the early days of Christianity when they were first trying to get followers, they adopted the holiday as Christmas to get those who followed the pagan holiday to convert stick out tongue

Darth Macabre
Decmeber 25th is the birth date of Mithra, the Persian Son of God,born to a virgin mother, who happend to be born a thousand years before Jesus.

AOR
Here's some more Holiday Info (btw A1 and Lil Nasty,I'm Catholic, so that you know.)

1. Christmas Greenery Ancient Egyptians used palm branches, while northern cultures preferred evergreens, to brighten the home during the winter. Continuing a custom that dates back to the 16th century, German immigrants were the first Americans to purchase and decorate Christmas trees, typically in the pine family.

2 Gift Giving Once frowned upon as a pagan custom dating back to the Romans, gift giving is an integral part of our Christmas tradition. Santa's alias, "Kriss Kringle," means Christ child in German, and referred to a medieval legend that the infant Jesus distributed presents.

3. Mistletoe Kissing Remember the following Norse fable the next time you sneak a smooch under the mistletoe: Frigga, goddess of love and beauty, wanted to make the world safe for her son, Balder. Everything on earth promised to do him no harm except the one plant Frigga overlooked, mistletoe. Loki, an evil spirit, made an arrow from the mistletoe's wood and killed Balder. Frigga's tears became the plant's white berries and revived her son. In her gratitude, Frigga promised to kiss anyone who passed under the mistletoe, just as we do today.

4. Candy Canes The striped confections we now love to crunch were once straight white sticks of sugar candy. In the 1600s, in Cologne, Germany, traditional folktales reveal that the candies were bent at the end to remind children of a shepherd's crook and to keep them quiet in church.

(I'm hitting the sack, Merry Christmas and Good Night)

Lana
I really dont see how you can celebrate it only half way though... i mean thats like just going through the motions.

How is it only celebrating halfway? It has no religious meaning to me whatsoever. It's just another day on the calendar.

AOR
I really dont see how you can celebrate it only half way though... i mean thats like just going through the motions.
yah I understand that December 25 is not JC's bday..it could have been anytime...

Actually they're rounding it around Aprilish maybe May

Lana
Well, badly mangled German anyway stick out tongue Christ child in German is 'Kristkind' or 'Kristkindl'.

LiL nAstY GirL
Well, if you want it to mean more than that to you, then that's fine, but it doesn't to many people.

Thats just the values of people today, and I think its sad

Lana
Thats just the values of people today, and I think its sad

Dear, not everyone in the world is religious. This has ALWAYS been the case. It has nothing to do with the values of people today, and I'll think you'll find that many people who are not religious are just as moral as those who are, even more so I've noticed.

a1hsauce
Originally posted by AOR
Here's some more Holiday Info (btw A1 and Lil Nasty,I'm Catholic, so that you know.)

1. Christmas Greenery Ancient Egyptians used palm branches, while northern cultures preferred evergreens, to brighten the home during the winter. Continuing a custom that dates back to the 16th century, German immigrants were the first Americans to purchase and decorate Christmas trees, typically in the pine family.

2 Gift Giving Once frowned upon as a pagan custom dating back to the Romans, gift giving is an integral part of our Christmas tradition. Santa's alias, "Kriss Kringle," means Christ child in German, and referred to a medieval legend that the infant Jesus distributed presents.

3. Mistletoe Kissing Remember the following Norse fable the next time you sneak a smooch under the mistletoe: Frigga, goddess of love and beauty, wanted to make the world safe for her son, Balder. Everything on earth promised to do him no harm except the one plant Frigga overlooked, mistletoe. Loki, an evil spirit, made an arrow from the mistletoe's wood and killed Balder. Frigga's tears became the plant's white berries and revived her son. In her gratitude, Frigga promised to kiss anyone who passed under the mistletoe, just as we do today.

4. Candy Canes The striped confections we now love to crunch were once straight white sticks of sugar candy. In the 1600s, in Cologne, Germany, traditional folktales reveal that the candies were bent at the end to remind children of a shepherd's crook and to keep them quiet in church.

(I'm hitting the sack, Merry Christmas and Good Night)
im catholic too i know the traditions stick out tongue

How is it only celebrating halfway? It has no religious meaning to me whatsoever. It's just another day on the calendar.
well, its just Christmas always held a deeper meaning than just a day of presents. like Hanukkah, i dont know many jews who just celebrate it just because. it holds meaning

Lana
im catholic too i know the traditions stick out tongue

well, its just Christmas always held a deeper meaning than just a day of presents. like Hanukkah, i dont know many jews who just celebrate it just because. it holds meaning

But see, it DOESN'T hold a deeper meaning for a lot of people. That's simply the truth. If people want to think it does, that's fine, but at least recognize that not everyone believes that.

LiL nAstY GirL
But that doesn't mean they should take out the religion in Christmas... I agree wuth A1 you can't just celebrate it halfway...

MC Mike
Or everyone could just leave everyone else alone and celebrate it their own damn ways?

Captain REX
Um, no.

Doesn't get any more straightforwards than this.

n00b, be happy you got something at all. Twister is the most sexual game on Earth, you should see my party photos...

Lana
But that doesn't mean they should take out the religion in Christmas... I agree wuth A1 you can't just celebrate it halfway...

It has nothing to do with taking the religion out of it. No one is trying to stop people from celebrating it religiously. But not everyone DOES celebrate it religioiusly because to them it has no religious significance and is just a day to get together with their family and friends.

Darth Macabre

So if I celebrate the birth of Mithra, who was born on the 25, am I taking religion out of Christmas?

Lana
Originally posted by MC Mike
Or everyone could just leave everyone else alone and celebrate it their own damn ways?

Oh come on. That would be WAY too simple.

Though I agree. What does it matter to anyone whether or not someone celebrates Christmas religiously or just as a day to get together with people and give gifts?

Originally posted by Captain REX
Doesn't get any more straightforwards than this.

n00b, be happy you got something at all. Twister is the most sexual game on Earth, you should see my party photos...

You wouldn't believe the debate that happened on this very subject earlier today and only died down because I had to lay down because my back was killing me.

And Twister can be lots of fun stick out tongue

BackFire
Chess is awesome.

LiL nAstY GirL
Actually, you guys are kinda right...I'm sorry for trying to force my opinions on you guys...

a1hsauce
i just feel like the true meaning, which is the birth of JC, is just lossing its identity with how so many people are complaining..oh my family didnt get this for me, my family didnt get that for me.

I mean look at how many people posted threads about how horrible gifts they got. its just sad.

Lana
i just feel like the true meaning, which is the birth of JC, is just lossing its identity with how so many people are complaining..oh my family didnt get this for me, my family didnt get that for me.

I mean look at how many people posted threads about how horrible gifts they got. its just sad.

Even though that's really not it's true meaning at all, as has been explained wink

Though I do find it incredibly shallow and childish to complain about gifts that other people got you. I only asked for a couple things, and while I only got a few things, they were excellent and I'm very happy with what I got. And as I always do, I went nuts and spoiled my family with presents laughing out loud

MC Mike
Actually, you guys are kinda right...I'm sorry for trying to force my opinions on you guys...

smile I hope you have a wonderful time spending Christmas and the holiday season the way you believe it should be spent.

LiL nAstY GirL
Thank you, you too happy

GCG
Um, no.

You can say that as many times as you want as it will ultimatly be the WRONG thing. Had Jesus not been born, you wouldnt have a Christmas to celebrate as a get-together. Therofre its origin should be given importance if you truly give a value to it. TRULY. Makes me wonder if you ever make a crib in your house.

So lets all go along and celebrate it the way most people do, when you may, just for one time in a year, feel that you are celebrating it the way it was originally supposed to.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by GCG
You can say that as many times as you want as it will ultimatly be the WRONG thing. Had Jesus not been born, you wouldnt have a Christmas to celebrate as a get-together. Therofre its origin should be given importance if you truly give a value to it. TRULY. Makes me wonder if you ever make a crib in your house.

Yule has been around for ages. I would still celebrate, but now what im celebrating has a different name.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.