Are human feelings & emotions just a chemical reaction/process?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Do we instinctively act the way we do due to biological preinstallations we need as humans like emotions and feelings or do we willingly care warmly or hate alot or love so much from our hearts. Because people say that love comes from the heart yet last I heard what a heart did was pump blood.

I think all emotions and feelings come from the brain and can probably be linked to neurosis & chemicals.

Mindship
No doubt emotions have a biological component which has served an evolutionary function. But humans, being human, do have the mental component (and spiritual too, if you are thus inclined) which can transcend "pure biology." Of course, one can also take the reductionist's approach and say that spirit is a fiction and even all mental processes are epiphenomena, "pure biology," and nothing more. Biology is destiny, whole enchalada, end of story. I personally don't agree with that; so ultimately it depends on your View of Life.

debbiejo
Biology yes, but still more than that.

Great Vengeance
Yes, unless your into spiritualism.

AOR

plexed
yes, but i hope im wrong

Mindship
Are human feelings & emotions just a chemical reaction/process?

IMO, the word "just" introduces a very subtle bias, as if somehow emotions are "not really" important or necessary for healthy human functioning. Unless you're a Vulcan, I think most would agree that "feelings and emotions" are, in large part, what being alive is all about.

Especially love. Just like if you don't breathe or don't eat, if you don't love, you die. Just takes longer.

Atlantis001
We just need to remember that "emotions being just chemical reactions" is not a scientific fact, that is just a guess that some people easily accept.

TheOne101
Originally posted by Mindship
Especially love. Just like if you don't breathe or don't eat, if you don't love, you die. Just takes longer.

You say that if your dont love and dont breathe and eat, yea, you die. Death is ineviatable, so what does love have to do with it. I can be in love but still die. Or do you mean live on in memories? Something of that nature or....?

Lord Follen

Especially love. Just like if you don't breathe or don't eat, if you don't love, you die. Just takes longer. why would emotions cause your life to shorten? I dont see how not "loving" somthing could "kill" you in a way regardless of which meaning it represtents

xyz revolution
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Do we instinctively act the way we do due to biological preinstallations we need as humans like emotions and feelings or do we willingly care warmly or hate alot or love so much from our hearts. Because people say that love comes from the heart yet last I heard what a heart did was pump blood.

I think all emotions and feelings come from the brain and can probably be linked to neurosis & chemicals. It's your brain isn't it?

xyz revolution
anyone here?

xyz revolution
Ah.

Mindship
Scientific/medical studies and (for those who have just plain lived long enough) common sense show that a person needs more than just food, water and air to live a long, healthy life (Heroic Loners, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise).

Simply put: No love leads to depression. Depression lowers the immune system (physical effect), and it also lessens the "will to live" (psychological effect). To those who have always had a source of love (parental, gf/bf, pet, etc), you will not be able to understand how its long-term absence can affect you physically, mentally, emotionally.

Yes, you won't die from lack of love in the same way no food will kill you. But if you ever find yourself in an extended period of your life when you are w/o it, then you will definitely understand. Guaranteed.

redcaped
What can you say about it?

Great Vengeance
Scientific/medical studies and (for those who have just plain lived long enough) common sense show that a person needs more than just food, water and air to live a long, healthy life (Heroic Loners, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise).

Simply put: No love leads to depression. Depression lowers the immune system (physical effect), and it also lessens the "will to live" (psychological effect). To those who have always had a source of love (parental, gf/bf, pet, etc), you will not be able to understand how its long-term absence can affect you physically, mentally, emotionally.

Yes, you won't die from lack of love in the same way no food will kill you. But if you ever find yourself in an extended period of your life when you are w/o it, then you will definitely understand. Guaranteed.

Heroic loners lol......

Ill add something to this, science has proved that a baby WILL die if it is not given enough love and attention, no not just 'unhappy' but it will actually die even though it is still given plenty of food and water. I dont gather much spiritual meaning out of this, biology can explain it... but its still interesting.

redcaped
Try to understand the result of your actions.

redcaped
A response from the reaction we get.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.