Mother's life gift to unborn baby

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/4515202.stm

A sad but heart warming story of hope.

Bardock42
Wow. Well she had something worth more to her than her own life, I can respect that.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Bardock42
Wow. Well she had something worth more to her than her own life, I can respect that.

Indeed - A story of hope for Christmas. smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Indeed - A story of hope for Christmas. smile
ore like a story of Death for.... I dunno no expression

jaden101
shame

this guy faces an equally difficult decision

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16522862&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=dad-s-choice--name_page.html

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
shame

this guy faces an equally difficult decision

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16522862&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=dad-s-choice--name_page.html

Easy solution..wait till one of them dies...the other won the kidney lottery.

Anyways I love you Whirly...I only read Watchen because of you and it's my 2nd favorite graphic novel now...you are the man .

jaden101
i think you're onto something there...might liven up saturday night telly...

Sir Whirlysplat
Easy solution..wait till one of them dies...the other won the kidney lottery.

Anyways I love you Whirly...I only read Watchen because of you and it's my 2nd favorite graphic novel now...you are the man .

Thanks mate - If you want a contemporary treat pick up JMS Supreme Power trades 1 - 3 you'll love em.

Bardock42
Thanks mate - If you want a contemporary treat pick up JMS Supreme Power trades 1 - 3 you'll love em.
I'll look it up. What's the theme?

Originally posted by jaden101
i think you're onto something there...might liven up saturday night telly...

Hmm....might be too extreme...maybe MTV would take it.

Sir Whirlysplat
I'll look it up. What's the theme?

JLA in a "real world" setting. What if the American Government had got Superman and raised him to be their "Secret Weappon" (he gets used in the first Gulf War) then he finds it's a lie. He finds the "Kents" are agents etc.

It's awesome.

Bardock42
Sounds good. Who is your favorite Watchmen?

Sir Whirlysplat
Sounds good. Who is your favorite Watchmen?

"Ozzyman", he's awesome

Bardock42
"Ozzyman", he's awesome

Haha, i thought you are that type of guy. I think Rorschach is just too awesome.

Sir Whirlysplat
Haha, i thought you are that type of guy. I think Rorschach is just too awesome.

Rorschach is brilliant the scene with the toilet in prison is one of the best ever in comics.

Bardock42
Rorschach is brilliant the scene with the toilet in prison is one of the best ever in comics.

Yeah, awesome character...but they are all pretty brilliant. Tell me how did you like Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns"?

Sir Whirlysplat
Yeah, awesome character...but they are all pretty brilliant. Tell me how did you like Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns"?

It was very good but..... I believe the darkest "Dark Knight" was the Austin /Scwhartz version that introduced Manbat etc in the seventies

Bardock42
It was very good but..... I believe the darkest "Dark Knight" was the Austin /Scwhartz version that introduced Manbat etc in the seventies

Well I only read few of the 70's, but I agree they were pretty good, wasn't that for example when Ra's Al Ghul was introduced?

Sir Whirlysplat
Well I only read few of the 70's, but I agree they were pretty good, wasn't that for example when Ra's Al Ghul was introduced?

yup the introduced Ra's, Those issues were awesome Ra's kidnapped Robin and pretended to be helping Batman superb stuff. Supreme power has a black "Batman" character in it who has real issues. I won't spoil it by telling you what they are.

Bardock42
That's good..I hate spoilers for comics. I hope I can find the Supreme Power Comics. How many are there?

Sir Whirlysplat
That's good..I hate spoilers for comics. I hope I can find the Supreme Power Comics. How many are there?

18 comics or 3 trades get the trades you can do it all on ebay pretty cheaply

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Supreme+Power+Contact

Contact is the first trade

Bardock42
Well you know I am kind of...in germany stick out tongue

Sir Whirlysplat
Well you know I am kind of...in germany stick out tongue

I bet Germany Ebay has it. I bought some comic issues and trades from America which are hard to come by in Europe and knocked them out for 3 times the price..... I know embarrasment thats a bit capitalist for me.

Bardock42
I bet Germany Ebay has it. I bought some comic issues and trades from America which are hard to come by in Europe and knocked them out for 3 times the price..... I know embarrasment thats a bit capitalist for me.

Oh well I bet I'd do that too..but I don't have the money. The thing is I'd like to switch to american Comics (I pretty much only read Batman nothing else anymore) I don't like to have it all translated and such, I will ahve to take care of that sometime. But I think my local Comic Book Shop has Supreme power...I seem to recall the title.

Sir Whirlysplat
Oh well I bet I'd do that too..but I don't have the money. The thing is I'd like to switch to american Comics (I pretty much only read Batman nothing else anymore) I don't like to have it all translated and such, I will ahve to take care of that sometime. But I think my local Comic Book Shop has Supreme power...I seem to recall the title.

Its been a huge hit.

Justice looks like it's going to be awesome also.

Bardock42

Sir Whirlysplat

Bardock42
Shit Bardock my friend use Ebay you would get Watchmen for 20 Euros on there plus maybe 10 for postage and packing form the UK. saving a lot of money. Justice. It's a new Alex Ross drawn Justice League mini. I have issues one and two, it's very good - the cost of comics is scary these days though.

Dammit. Well i got it for Christmas but I know the Price.

Alex Ross, he is jsut awesome. I think I have one or two Comicsof him on the Justice League.

Sir Whirlysplat
Dammit. Well i got it for Christmas but I know the Price.

Alex Ross, he is jsut awesome. I think I have one or two Comicsof him on the Justice League.

Have you ever read Kingdom come it's almost as good as Watchmen Ross does the art on it, Mark Waid writes it.

Bardock42
Have you ever read Kingdom come it's almost as good as Watchmen Ross does the art on it, Mark Waid writes it.

Yeah, Kingdom Come is awesome. Also one of msy favorites. I don't know if you like Marvel I don't really but Alex Ross Marvels is just awesome.

I read the Sequel to Kingdom Come but it's just not the same without Ross' work.

Sir Whirlysplat
Yeah, Kingdom Come is awesome. Also one of msy favorites. I don't know if you like Marvel I don't really but Alex Ross Marvels is just awesome.

I read the Sequel to Kingdom Come but it's just not the same without Ross' work.

I enjoyed Marvels for what it was, which was really just to showcase Ross. It's a beautiful set of 4 comics.

Bardock42
I enjoyed Marvels for what it was, which was really just to showcase Ross. It's a beautiful set of 4 comics.

Actually I even enjoyed the story, although it's very marvelish. It jsut gives some sort of overview and peope, who know some but not too much aboot marvel will enjoy the references (like I did) and of course the basic idea was "Alex Ross' Favorite Marvel Heroes".

Sir Whirlysplat
Actually I even enjoyed the story, although it's very marvelish. It jsut gives some sort of overview and peope, who know some but not too much aboot marvel will enjoy the references (like I did) and of course the basic idea was "Alex Ross' Favorite Marvel Heroes".

It's incredibly pretty, The Galactus issue with the Surfer on the front might be the most eautiful comic (aesthetics wise) ever produced.

Bardock42
You mean the one with The Human Torch mirroring in silver Surfer?

Do you know his work with Paul Dini? War on Crime for example?

Sir Whirlysplat
You mean the one with The Human Torch mirroring in silver Surfer?

Do you know his work with Paul Dini? War on Crime for example?

Thats the one, it's beautiful, the only issue that might be as beautiful is funnily enough the Moore Swamp thing issue drawn by Totleben starring Batman, it's so intricate is printed in BBlack and White in trade to keep the cost down.

No I have never read that. Is it good?

Bardock42
sad There are so many Comics I issed...the curse of the late birth.

It is. The Story is alright. but his pics are awesome. I know he did two on teh JLA and then one on Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman. I basically bought it for his pics who are just great.

Sir Whirlysplat
sad There are so many Comics I issed...the curse of the late birth.

It is. The Story is alright. but his pics are awesome. I know he did two on teh JLA and then one on Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman. I basically bought it for his pics who are just great.

I will hunt it up.

Bardock42
Do that. I think I will go to bed now. It's late.

Sir Whirlysplat
Do that. I think I will go to bed now. It's late.

Me to, seeya mate.

Syren
*looks around*

Wait, this is the GDF, right? For a moment there I thought I'd wandered into the OTF roll eyes (sarcastic)

The first story about the mother's sacrifice is really sad. I don't know what I would have done. To be honest, unless I was in that position I really couldn't say for certain, but I think I might have had to give the baby up so that I could give myself and my partner another chance at having children in the future. That baby has a chance at life, but has no mother and a father who has no wife. It's heartwarming in theory, but the reality seems very unfortunate IMO.

Rave X
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/4515202.stm

A sad but heart warming story of hope.

I dunno. How can it be good for children to grow up without mother?

Syren
Exactly! People will be speaking from the standpoint that it's worse to give up a baby, to murder potential life. But, for me, losing the baby to save the mother's life would have been a preferable choice. The father would still have the person he loves, the mother a chance at life and the opportunity to create more life in the future. Do you think it's going to be easy for the father to look at the child and see only the baby? There's going to a lot more heartache for that man, and for the child as it grows, knowing its mother sacrificed herself.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rave X
I dunno. How can it be good for children to grow up without mother?
I dunno. How can it be good for children not to grow up at all?

Now the problem is obvious.
On the one hand the mother had to think aboot her baby. How would she have felt to know that she aborted it (it's not that ewasy for all women). She might have died anyways and then there wouldn't be her there wouldn't be her baby only her husband. Kind of the worst case scenario isn't it.

On the other hand. Syren is right too, there are many reasons that for not saving the baby.

But that's the whole point. it's not an easy decision at all. I know I would want to save my life cause i am an egoistical bastard but other people value other things more. So the fact remains she decided against her own life which in y opinion is a very hqard decision and therefore I respect what she has done. If it was the right decision from an utilitarian standpoint we will never know.

Syren
I'm not saying I don't have unlimited respect for what she's done, that must have taken some courage and I can see it as being one of the hardest decisions anyone would ever have to make. None of us know what we'd really do in that situation. I, also, would more than likely save my life. Probably for selfish reasons, I can't deny I'd rather not die. But also for the reasons I outlined above.

Bardock42
Of course. Htere are multiple reasons for each side. And therefore it's one of the harder decisions one can encounter (yay for being male).
Although just like you, if I was in a similar situation I would mostly out of selfish reason save myself, that's why I find it very interesting that she didn't. Although ikt might have been an overall more painful decision.

Syren
We also don't know all the details, right? Was she guaranteed to live if she'd had the therapy and given up the baby? {I know you already mentioned that} wink

Also, how can we judge the decision she made without experiencing all the emotions she and her husband did? Not something we have any right to comment on, really. It is hard...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Syren
We also don't know all the details, right? Was she guaranteed to live if she'd had the therapy and given up the baby? {I know you already mentioned that} wink

Also, how can we judge the decision she made without experiencing all the emotions she and her husband did? Not something we have any right to comment on, really. It is hard...

So you agree it was better to talk aboot comics since we can actually judge them stick out tongue

Syren
laughing I wouldn't know where to start embarrasment

Bardock42
Oh that's easy. It's best to start with Batman. Just pick up one of the current issues. Detective Comics for example. Although wait a minute you are british (means you must have a hawt accent but anyways) you could buy "Batman: Legends" I heard aboot that it'y supposed to be pretty good. Then I would slowly start with the more advanced stuff like Sin City, The Dark Knight Return and of course Watchmen. Don't forget to get an Alex Ross Comic. Kingdom Come for example is awesome.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.