-=- Sodium Pentathol Stored In College -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
So my Friend who is in Medical Science was giving me a tour of the upstairs labs in college, and she showed me the Chemical Cabinet...

Among the Bottles there where 5 that cought my attention...

4 marked "Sodium Pentathol"

and one smaller one labled "EMPTA"

IF you want to know what thoes are I suggest www.google.com

This is from the Same college in which i attended to classes which tought us how to kil a man with bare hands and minimal force...

Whata re your thoughts?

Why on earth would they House Sodium Pentathol and Empta?
What would they need that for?

Gregory
Why not? They presumably can be used in labratory situations of some sort, which is why the college has them.

I know what you're thinking (probably; I don't claim to be psychic). But EMPTA isn't toxic by itself, and it has comercial uses other than making nerve gas (yes, I know the government claimed it didn't; they were lying. Again). Sodium Pentathol isn't really that dangerous as far as I know; it'll kill you if you inject too much of it into someone, but so will most chemicals--and if you try to use it as a truth drug based on what you've seen in spy movies, you're going to be terribly dissapointed.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Gregory
(...) and if you try to use it as a truth drug based on what you've seen in spy movies, you're going to be terribly dissapointed.

And you would know?

bilb
labs store chemicals .. go figure

Gregory
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
And you would know?

Um, yes. Because I researched it--this isn't top secret material, you know. Sodium pentathol makes lying more difficult, because it screws up the higher brain functions--it's a lot like alcohol, really--but it's far from being some sort of magic truth drug.

jaden101
sodium pentathol is a general anesthetic...the first injection given during the lethal injection procedure...the second being pavulon which paralyses the muscles and then potassium chloride which stops the heart

tabby999
and thankyou to doctor death for that little tid bit of information

jaden101
Originally posted by tabby999
and thankyou to doctor death for that little tid bit of information

thats a more accurate comment than you'll ever know evil face

Gregory
Originally posted by jaden101
sodium pentathol is a general anesthetic...the first injection given during the lethal injection procedure...the second being pavulon which paralyses the muscles and then potassium chloride which stops the heart

Yeh, but I didn't mention that because most chemicals will kill you if you pump them into your system, so sodium pentathol isn't any more dangerous than most.

jaden101
Originally posted by Gregory
Yeh, but I didn't mention that because most chemicals will kill you if you pump them into your system, so sodium pentathol isn't any more dangerous than most.

indeed...but i got the impression from the thread starter that they thought there was only dubious uses for sodium pentathol

its a barbituate that makes cell membranes more permeable to chloride ions and thus "prepares" the heart for the potassium chloride injections

its used as a anesthetic in operations

it can be used in the treatment of severe anxiety as well as an anti-convulsant in the treatment of severe epilepsy sufferers too.

so its not all dodgy CIA truth serum conspiracies with regards to it

tabby999
although you can use it to make someone lucid and highly suggestable to implant new "memorys" in their heads and get them to do things, bad things...

eggmayo
My school keeps Hydrochloric Acid in unlocked cupboards where we sit.
We stole some. erm

jaden101
Originally posted by eggmayo
We stole some. erm

try and get some sodium or preferably potassium and chuck that into the hydrochloric acid....preferably from a rather large distance....it's fun...

FeceMan
So my Friend who is in Medical Science was giving me a tour of the upstairs labs in college, and she showed me the Chemical Cabinet...

Among the Bottles there where 5 that cought my attention...

4 marked "Sodium Pentathol"

and one smaller one labled "EMPTA"

IF you want to know what thoes are I suggest www.google.com

This is from the Same college in which i attended to classes which tought us how to kil a man with bare hands and minimal force...

Whata re your thoughts?

Why on earth would they House Sodium Pentathol and Empta?
What would they need that for?
Sodium pentothal is used as intravenous anesthesia, not just truth serum.

I don't know what EMPTA is, and I'm heading off to bed in a minute so I won't be checking Google, but I'm going to wager that it has a number of uses aside from killing people.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by eggmayo
We stole some. erm

If its in samll bottles, they dilutted it with water, If its in a big Gl;ass Jug, is most likly pure.

Chuck twice as much POWDERED sugar into a beaker with pure HCL...

the effect is what Some people reffer to "The Coal Bonner"

Imperial_Samura
It seems clear - your university is training you to be soldiers, and stock piling chemicals which can be used in nerve gases and the like. I expect some manner of glorious, bloody, revolution to begin any day now.ninja

Though I guess it's not really that odd. Many chemical compounds have more then one use in research conditions - though in the Empta case I can't imagine what. Though I am sure there is some benefit to having it on hand. Even ones that seem serious can be part of bigger things that might have some benefit (as someone pointed out about the Sodium Pentathol.) And besides, any chemical can be dangerous if treated incorrectly, and the ones in question are only dangerous in the way they are thought if prepared and administered correctly.

Really it doesn't seem so strange. For example at my university/collage, there is quite a large research park and science division, and while teaching students is a large part of it's function, it also carries out a lot of legitimate state and corporate research functions - after all, if your going to lump a lot of resources in one area, it might as well be doing something more then just teaching. Killing two birds with one stone as it were. As a result there is certainly a lot of stuff about that could be considered highly dangerous, but it's stored correctly, and is used in the correct context, so no problem. I imagine it could be the same at your college.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
It seems clear - your university is training you to be soldiers, and stock piling chemicals which can be used in nerve gases and the like. I expect some manner of glorious, bloody, revolution to begin any day now.ninja

(...)

But Its a Canadian college...

jaden101
But Its a Canadian college...

laughing laughing laughing ...thats pure gold.

eggmayo
If its in samll bottles, they dilutted it with water, If its in a big Gl;ass Jug, is most likly pure.

Chuck twice as much POWDERED sugar into a beaker with pure HCL...

the effect is what Some people reffer to "The Coal Bonner"
I know that, but it melted through a ruler when I poured two or three drops on...
I think it's pure, not a very big jug though.
I have some Magnesium but that just makes a bad smell with HCl.

Federill
If I remember correctly, (high school chemistry returns from the dead!) HCl and Mg combined are supposed to create a sudden bright flash...

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Federill
If I remember correctly, (high school chemistry returns from the dead!) HCl and Mg combined are supposed to create a sudden bright flash...

Thats fire and Mg...

Serisouly, Powerded Sugar and HCL, = loads of fun.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.