Abuse in relationships

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rox
do u agree that both people should keep there hands off each other or should the man just keep his hands off the woman what do u think.

i think neither person should hit the other.

BackFire
No, people should hit eachother in relationships to teach the other person a lesson because sometimes verbally discussing problems takes too much time, and physical violence is such a time saver. A punch to the face will resolve problems much faster then wasting time talking it out.

debbiejo
blink laughing out loud laughing out loud

If somebody wants to hit, I hit back, sorry it must be impulsive.

Itzak
Originally posted by rox
do u agree that both people should keep there hands off each other or should the man just keep his hands off the woman what do u think.

If you mean "hit" as in punch, kick, or slap then NOOO. Both of them should NOT hit each other, that's just crazy. no

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by BackFire
No, people should hit eachother in relationships to teach the other person a lesson because sometimes verbally discussing problems takes too much time, and physical violence is such a time saver. A punch to the face will resolve problems much faster then wasting time talking it out.

Just hit one another. Hitting solves everything.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Just hit one another. Hitting solves everything.

laughing out loud Watch a John Wayne film anyone that doubts the truth of this statement.

rox
Originally posted by Itzak
If you mean "hit" as in punch, kick, or slap then NOOO. Both of them should NOT hit each other, that's just crazy. no

yes punch and kick is what i mean.

rox
what the hell. what gender r u

BackFire
Originally posted by rox
what the hell. what gender r u

Whats it to you? You cruising for a bruising?

Itzak
In a relationship you should never hit the other person at all. (But if you get hit first, and I mean hard, then it's a different story dev in which case I'd say bash em chair)

rox

its just that u condon hitting. i don't take kindly to threats, don't start nothing it won't be nothing.

KidRock
If my girl brings me a warm beer shes just askin for a backhand..and she will get it.

BackFire
Originally posted by rox
its just that u condon hitting. i don't take kindly to threats, don't start nothing it won't be nothing.

Hahaha

rox
Originally posted by KidRock
If my girl brings me a warm beer shes just askin for a backhand..and she will get it.

r u serious

BackFire
r u

Tha C-Master
Abuse comes in many ways and forms, for example if a person DOESN'T WANT to be happy they'll do whatever they can to ensure it, even messing up the ones who were nothing but kind to them.

tabby999
oh rly!

§noopbert
Originally posted by rox
r u serious r u gay?

K.Diddy
I hit my girlfriend all the time smile For instance if she is on her period and she wont go down on me, she feels my pimp handpimp

Hitting my girlfreind makes me feel tough wacko

debbiejo
laughing out loud This thread is really really weird........

Bardock42
No one should hit another person......except in war and love What the f**k?

GCG
Originally posted by rox

What are you on aboot ?

Mate,

My friend got vicously assaulted twice on his birthday by his girl for some unknown reason. The second assault resulted in a black-eye.

She didnt even apologise. It took her 3 days until she finally apologised. And during those 3 days, they didnt speak to eachother under the same roof.

You think that neither person should hit out.

Yet, sometimes, hitting out actually generates a reaction that improves a relationship. Hitting out is like a nudge and is there as a pull factor.

I believe some people should not be too pompous about themselves and accept a good punch when they are in the loss.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by tabby999
oh rly! 100% true...

rox

dragon milly
I don't think violence solves anything in a relationship on the side of either party. That being said, playful fighting can be lots of fun. wink

Syren
This could have been a good topic to discuss, if it had been approached in a professional manner.

Oh well, guess it's time to jump on that band wagon...

Anyone got a problem with that? boxing

Alpha Centauri
I know plenty of girls who have no problems hitting men but also say openly that they aren't gonna ***** if they get hit back. Which is fair, I think.

I don't like the idea of certain girls thinking they can openly beat a guy without him defending himself with retaliation.

I've never hit a girl, personally.

-AC

bilb

and just in the nick of time BF comes in with the post of the year!! greatness!!

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

KidRock
A wise man once taught his wife Karate so beating her would be more fun. Is that true? Of course it is..cause that man was Chuck Norris.

Imperial_Samura
You mean to say somebody actually married Chuck Norris? Oh, the humanity.

I guess it gets lonely out there on the plains of Texas. Oh when the eyes of the ranger are upon you...

But to topic - playful fighting which isn't intended to cause harm or hurt? No real problem. Of course there is no reason why a man and woman should be seriously fighting with the intent to hurt the other, though it happens. It is unacceptable for a man to beat up his wife, girlfirend, whatever. And it's equally bad for a women to do the same to her husband, though generally domestic violance is seen man using physcial vilence against a woman.

Personally I wouldn't hit a girl, even if she was hitting me, as there are plenty of non-violent ways to retaliate, the most basic being just removing oneself from the situation. Might seem silly, and probably not for everybody, but eh.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've never hit a girl, personally.

-AC

Have you ever hit one through someone else?

Alpha Centauri
No, I've never got someone else to hit a girl for me if that's what you mean.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat

Funniest post of the week laughing out loud

Capt_Fantastic
No, I've never got someone else to hit a girl for me if that's what you mean.

-AC

It's not. I was just pointing out the redundant nature of your statement. It just seemed like a funny way to word it.

Alpha Centauri
Oh, I see.

I meant I'd, not I've. Personally meaning I personally choose not to. Not I would get someone else to do it.

-AC

debbiejo
Meat eaters! cool

vaya_the_elf
Keep in mind there are all kinds of abuse. Mental, and sexual both count as well

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
Keep in mind there are all kinds of abuse. Mental, and sexual both count as well

Some people like and want both of those in a relationship, some only want them on weekends wink Many who do dress like in your sig. smile

vaya_the_elf
laughing out loud Probably

debbiejo
Stun guns are so usefull...maybe in foreplay also..

§noopbert
Originally posted by rox
NO Any evidence to back that up?Originally posted by KidRock
A wise man once taught his wife Karate so beating her would be more fun. Is that true? Of course it is..cause that man was Chuck Norris. laughing out loud

bilb
Originally posted by debbiejo

eek!

Capt_Fantastic
Oh, I see.

I meant I'd, not I've. Personally meaning I personally choose not to. Not I would get someone else to do it.

-AC

wink

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Have you ever hit one through someone else?

that seems illogical. if you ignore the moral implications completely, girls are not very aero dynamic. Now if you threw a porcupine at someone, that would make more sense.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Darth Jello
that seems illogical. if you ignore the moral implications completely, girls are not very aero dynamic. Now if you threw a porcupine at someone, that would make more sense.

Seems? What is this, existentialist humor?

No, he understood. And all is right with the world.

K.Diddy
I buried my last 2 girlfriends cause I knocked them out with the pressure from my pimp handpimp

Bardock42
Originally posted by K.Diddy
I buried my last 2 girlfriends cause I knocked them out with the pressure from my pimp handpimp

You, Sir, belong here. Try not to leave. It doesn't work.

MysteryRidah
Man should never hit a woman at anytime
Woman should never hit a man at anytime

Thats pretty much the bottom line here folks.

Peace.

debbiejo
Originally posted by MysteryRidah
Man should never hit a woman at anytime
Woman should never hit a man at anytime

Thats pretty much the bottom line here folks.

Peace. It's just better to drug them. wink

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by rox

Of course neither should hit each other.

The murder in home or a murder when one partner is killed by the other, is more common than the murder and crime on streets.

K.Diddy
I hit my girlfriend all the time smile For instance if she is on her period and she wont go down on me, she feels my pimp handpimp

I was joking about this post as well

No, seriously I would never hit a girl...................unless it was my wife smile

Uberking Robert
Interesting facts: Women are violent towards men as much as men are towards women. The majority of injuries children recieve from their parents are in fact inflicted by their mothers, not their fathers.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Interesting facts: Women are violent towards men as much as men are towards women. The majority of injuries children recieve from their parents are in fact inflicted by their mothers, not their fathers.

source?

Actually, as far as the domestic violence goes, men are more violent towards women - one in 3 women today has been either, assaulted, sexually assaulted or have been a subjected to sexual cohesion.

violence against children, and mother against son, is not female on male violence - its adult on child violence - huge difference.

Thus, your ''interesting fact'' is not a fact to begin with.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Interesting facts: Women are violent towards men as much as men are towards women. The majority of injuries children recieve from their parents are in fact inflicted by their mothers, not their fathers. Originally posted by lil bitchiness
source?

Actually, as far as the domestic violence goes, men are more violent towards women - one in 3 women today has been either, assaulted, sexually assaulted or have been a subjected to sexual cohesion.

violence against children, and mother against son, is not female on male violence - its adult on child violence - huge difference.

Thus, your ''interesting fact'' is not a fact to begin with.

How can there be representative studies? Oh right there can't. All statistics in this field are rather inaccurate. that is for sure. And of course it is also changed by definition.

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by debbiejo

Cause sleeping with comatose people is fun? erm

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
How can there be representative studies? Oh right there can't. All statistics in this field are rather inaccurate. that is for sure. And of course it is also changed by definition.

They are inaccurate how?

In Britain we have something called British Crime Survey, plus police reports and records.

So unless police is ''making up statistics'' then i guess they would be innacurate.

And BCS's surveys says violence against women, when compared with the statistics of the police are underreported.

Syren
I was in an extremely violent relationship and, because I stupidly decided not to leave him, I resorted to hitting him back. Self defence? I dunno... now I think that a better form of self defence in my case would simply have been to get rid of the scumbag.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Syren
I was in an extremely violent relationship and, because I stupidly decided not to leave him, I resorted to hitting him back. Self defence? I dunno... now I think that a better form of self defence in my case would simply have been to get rid of the scumbag.

Yeah - but its not easy, I understand.

Many people wonder how women who are married abusive men can stay with them, but it isn't easy, nor its a matter of just walking out.

Its far more complicated than that sad

Alpha Centauri
I understand that love etc can make the whole situation harder than it might otherwise be, but if you continually get battered and he says "I'll change" but doesn't and continues beating you, then it's pretty blunt.

If you don't leave after that, it's nonsense. I'm not a girl, I'm a guy, but at the same time I fail to see absolutely any sense behind staying with a man who beats the shit out of you, probably because there isn't one.

Although there is the whole "He threatened me to stay" element, which I suppose is very dangerous, but that's what the police are for.

-AC

Syren
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yeah - but its not easy, I understand.

Many people wonder how women who are married abusive men can stay with them, but it isn't easy, nor its a matter of just walking out.

Its far more complicated than that sad

Exactly... but in hindsight (bloody hindsight), I wish I could have been the one who was strong enough to walk away. But I loved him.

AC ~ I see that now and probably saw it at the time, just decided to push my common sense to the side. I would still strongly urge anyone in this sort of situation to get rid of the person who is doing such things to them, or at the very least try to get some decent help. I'd never use excuses as to why I stayed with my ex, but I know how hard it is to make that final decision.

WrathfulDwarf
It's not love to beat up or abuse your partner. No one should be a punching bag for another person. Well, except the mindless socks and trolls running wild in the forums.

Alpha Centauri
I understand love is strong and I do sympathise that you went through that, but how many right hands does it take before you go "Wait..."?

Blaming love is no excuse, although you've said that you now know you should have got out.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
I understand love is strong and I do sympathise that you went through that, but how many right hands does it take before you go "Wait..."?

Blaming love is no excuse, although you've said that you now know you should have got out.

-AC

I said all that. blink

Syren

-AC

I know... and I agree completely. One right hand is one too many.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I said all that. blink

Posted it before I saw yours, you wretched harriden.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Oh, sorry...NVM.

lil bitchiness
I understand that love etc can make the whole situation harder than it might otherwise be, but if you continually get battered and he says "I'll change" but doesn't and continues beating you, then it's pretty blunt.

If you don't leave after that, it's nonsense. I'm not a girl, I'm a guy, but at the same time I fail to see absolutely any sense behind staying with a man who beats the shit out of you, probably because there isn't one.

Although there is the whole "He threatened me to stay" element, which I suppose is very dangerous, but that's what the police are for.

-AC

True, but love excuse is not the issue i am refering to, though.

For women, who are married at least, there are numerous problems in leaving abusive relationship -

a) they have children and nowhere to go
b) they are afraid to leave, because men threaten to kill them/take their children away
c) they simply love them (as you refered to it)
d) they depend economically on the other person
e) they are psychologically affected by abuse to the point that they do not see anything wrong with what is happening to them
f) the abuser is buying the women everything and financially supporting her, and making her feel she is indebted to him

Bardock42
They are inaccurate how?

In Britain we have something called British Crime Survey, plus police reports and records.

So unless police is ''making up statistics'' then i guess they would be innacurate.

And BCS's surveys says violence against women, when compared with the statistics of the police are underreported.
Oh yes I see, so you take all abuse filed as accurat..hmm...nevermind ttalking to you then.

Alpha Centauri
True, but love excuse is not the issue i am refering to, though.

For women, who are married at least, there are numerous problems in leaving abusive relationship -

a) they have children and nowhere to go
b) they are afraid to leave, because men threaten to kill them/take their children away
c) they simply love them (as you refered to it)
d) they depend economically on the other person
e) they are psychologically affected by abuse to the point that they do not see anything wrong with what is happening to them
f) the abuser is buying the women everything and financially supporting her, and making her feel she is indebted to him

Well C is pointless, as I just said, so we can strike that one off.

D and F are more or less the same and I'll admit, not a good reason but a reason nonetheless.

B can be solved with legal intervention, police intervention etc.

E is a poor excuse in my opinion. If you don't see that someone kicking the shit out of you is wrong, then...well. Good luck in life.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Well C is pointless, as I just said, so we can strike that one off.

D and F are more or less the same and I'll admit, not a good reason but a reason nonetheless.

B can be solved with legal intervention, police intervention etc.

E is a poor excuse in my opinion. If you don't see that someone kicking the shit out of you is wrong, then...well. Good luck in life.

-AC

It does not suprise me that people are finding it difficult to comprehend this, as it isn't uncommon.

If a child grows up in an enviroment where, the abuse is constant isuch behaviour becomes a norm.

If one person lives in an invaroment where the abuse is constant(or any kind of behaviour), it becomes a norm. This kind of thing is called ''learnt behaviour''
The abusee will learn how to either, make the abuse less effective to him/her, or it will accpt it as the ''way it should be''

People who are in prison for life, and have exoperienced violence every day of their life, flighting or being fighted, have taken this behaviour to be a norm, and although others may find it disturbing, for them it is a norm.

I'll give you an example - a survey was done on the prostitutes of San Francisco - they were asked if they were abused as children or as adults - they said no. When they were asked about if pimps hit them, they confirmed, but said that they did not see that as an abuse - its simply something that happens.

Alpha Centauri
It does not suprise me that people are finding it difficult to comprehend this, as it isn't uncommon.

If a child grows up in an enviroment where, the abuse is constant isuch behaviour becomes a norm.

I've seen severe physical abuse between partners before, so if you're implying I don't comprehend this, I suggest you don't make assumptions. We've seen what happens there before. I'm growing tired of you assuming that due to reading surveys and stats, you know more than people. No disrespect meant, but it's just shit.

A child being used to something doesn't mean it becomes less bad. There's a difference between being accustomed to it and being desensitised to it.

If one person lives in an invaroment where the abuse is constant(or any kind of behaviour), it becomes a norm. This kind of thing is called ''learnt behaviour''
The abusee will learn how to either, make the abuse less effective to him/her, or it will accpt it as the ''way it should be''

People who are in prison for life, and have exoperienced violence every day of their life, flighting or being fighted, have taken this behaviour to be a norm, and although others may find it disturbing, for them it is a norm.

Whether they fight or get FOUGHT, it makes zero difference. The norm it maybe, but you are again confusing desensitisation with being accustomed to it.

I'll give you an example - a survey was done on the prostitutes of San Francisco - they were asked if they were abused as children or as adults - they said no. When they were asked about if pimps hit them, they confirmed, but said that they did not see that as an abuse - its simply something that happens.

Idiots then aren't they? It's abuse. They don't see it because they are compromised, it's abuse. There's no debating that really.

Beating a female to achieve dominance is abuse.

-AC

Thoma5

laughing laughing laughing

River Wild
both, dont have the right to hit each other!

Ushgarak
Frankly, I would rate Lil's quoted studies and stats far beyond the testimony of the odd person here. She is making use of serious academic research, and that deserves some respect. Your witnessing of violent contact between partners strikes me as having no relevance as to whether you can comment with authority on the situation, AC. To witness is not to experience, and even to experience is not necessarily to know. It requires objective analysis which Lil has provided, and if you cannot combat that with something other than your own opinion then she is looking in a much superior position.

And I certainly agree with her that there is a distinct lack of empathy here, and labelling all such people as 'idiots' is a remarkably unhelpful attitude to a difficult situation. It would be a much nicer and simpler world if all things like this were down to stupidity- but things sure as hell are not like that, as experts in the field will readily tell you.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Frankly, I would rate Lil's quoted studies and stats far beyond the testimony of the odd person here. She is making use of serious academic research, and that deserves some respect. Your witnessing of violent contact between partners strikes me as having no relevance as to whether you can comment with authority on the situation, AC. To witness is not to experience, and even to experience is not necessarily to know. It requires objective analysis which Lil has provided, and if you cannot combat that with something other than your own opinion then she is looking in a much superior position.

Studies and stats are all well and good, they may very well be accurate, but if that's all you have, then you don't have much. The fact that I've asked her before if she has experience in matters she talks about and got dodged more than Wile. E Coyote suggests that she's relying on her stats and studies to override actually experiencing it. You said experiencing isn't to know, but it sure as hell helps. If she's holding these studies to be gospel without practical experience or evidence, then it's like reading a book saying "Most men/women are cheaters" and believing it. No matter how convincing the book may be, experiencing life will prove that differently. Just like witnessing physical abuse will undoubtedly make you think twice about those studies. Whilst it's not necessarily objective, it's without a doubt important.

I agree that this subject needs to be afforded a greater respect that "The woman should just leave" but there are two sides to the coin here. If all Lil has are stats, nice. IF she's never experienced it or been in an active situation in which there is abuse going on, then she is ALSO uneducated on a certain aspect of this.

She can have all the stats she wants, she's learned them from a book or the net, or a teacher. If she wants to trade that with having to witness the abuse, then I'll gladly do so. Because I'm sure she'd be the first person to retort with "You haven't experienced it" if the roles were reversed.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
And I certainly agree with her that there is a distinct lack of empathy here, and labelling all such people as 'idiots' is a remarkably unhelpful attitude to a difficult situation. It would be a much nicer and simpler world if all things like this were down to stupidity- but things sure as hell are not like that, as experts in the field will readily tell you.

I've openly said that there are not always ways that make it easy to get out and when Lil raised some of those, I agreed.

I don't believe love is a justifiable reason, because if you are getting socked around and still think "Aww he loves me" then yes I question the woman's intelligence.

-AC

Syren
But I have personal experience and I agree with Milla confused

redcaped
We are equals so must behave.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Syren
But I have personal experience and I agree with Milla confused

Then go you.

I'm not even saying the woman is wrong, am I? I even went so far as to say I agreed with what her and Ush said in some places. The problem I have is that Milla seems to override and overrule personal experience and the effect of, everytime she speaks about something. Ironically, she almost never has any experience in the matter outside of her studies.

I'm not saying she's wrong, I'm saying she should take more into consideration.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.