General Tourney Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
So it's been a while since we had an official tournament. I DON'T want to run it, but right now while school is out, I'm more than willing to start us up and headed in the right direction.

Here's what we know...

1. A roughly "Iron Man limit" seemed to be the consensus during early talks.

2. Voting will have to be much different...probably a set number of judges (2 or 4) and then the "popular vote" (random voters on the thread) acts as a tie-breaker if the judges are split.

3. 16 will have to be the limit again...any more and it's unwieldly and time-consuming.

4. No amalgams this time around...for obvious reasons of play-balance (and for a change of pace from the last 2). Team format.

5. No more "PM drafting"...it sucks for whoever is running it.

Here's what we need...

1. Ideas and interest in doing this.

2. Draft number (probably 3...any more and it would take forever).

3. Specific limits (energy, strength, powers, etc.)

4. Someone who feels like running it...since I won't. It might be possible to run it AND participate in it, and I can help with random stuff if necessary so that can happen. But about mid-January I'll be back to just mod-duties and not much posting (it's going to be a busy semester) so I won't be around for long.

..Ready? Go! stick out tongue

-DM

Valeciano
EDIT sry....nah i dont wanna be a part of this....

Arabian Knight
I'd be happy to be a judge, but I'm sitting out of tournements for a bit.

LethalFemme
can i be a judge?

newjak86
Can't decide between Judge or contestant got some cool ideas for a team but it could be fun to judge.

HigH ScholaR
Hmmmmmmmm

thesilverspider
Judge right here

Scoobless
Originally posted by Arabian Knight
I'd be happy to be a judge, but I'm sitting out of tournements for a bit.

got a "bridesmaid" complex now, have you

stick out tongue

DarkCrawler
Judge!

DigiMark007
The interest is appreciated and welcome, but nothing in this thread is set in stone yet. LP..(or Arabian Knight, I guess)...you said you might not want to be in it. But you're also very familiar with these tourneys. Director-ship??

I would imagine it would be possible to be a judge and also participate...we'd just have to rotate judges occasionally. But if someone just wants to be one or the other that's fine too.

...at this point discussion on power levels would be the main concern. I'll gauge the consensus and help things along, but since I won't really be a part of this I don't want to decide things on my own.

-DM smile

King KAM
Lets fight, im in.

Dizzle
I'd direct it... I don't really wanna pull an Evangel and have everything go way longer than it should. If anyone wants to co-moderate it, I'm perfectly willing. I'm just kind of afraid that I'm not on here enough...

As to power levels... We're shooting for Iron Man type guys? Tony would probably then be a good place to start for energy projection, at least. Strength should probably be low class 100ish (slightly stronger than Iron Man... I'm thinking Thing range and lower). For speed... Mach 10? Maybe a little less. Telepathic shutdowns are still a no no. I have no problems with illusion casting. TK is probably fine to a certain extent. Matter manipulation's probably not happening. What else... Bah, I'll think of it later.

golem370
3 people?

golem370
How about Current Juggernaut,Cannonball & Blink?

DarkCrawler
Huh?

golem370
aren't you suppose to pick people for the tourney?

dman2008
I would like to be in it

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by golem370
aren't you suppose to pick people for the tourney?

It's not decided yet what kind of tournament this is.

golem370
How about a Gorilla Warfare Tournment Three vs Three in a Jungle no prep.

golem370
Maybe a three on three paint ball match

DigiMark007
This isn't the time for choosing people yet golem.

Ok, sweet Dizzle. I can pin threads and whatnot, but you can be the one who spearheads it.

Your power levels seem a good place to start too...I'm sure they'll change some, but to start with...
Energy: Iron Man
Strength & Durability: Thing
Speed: Mach 10 (?)
Prep Time: ??
No matter manipulation or telepathic shutdowns. Limited telepathy and TK might be allowed.

Voting wil consist of an even # of set judges, with the 'popular vote' acting as a tie-breaker.

(all subject to change)

But to avoid a problem from the last tourney, we shouldn't have "I pick Professor X and just won't use him to shut down minds...only hinder them." That creates tons of problems...so there shouldn't be any 'toning down' of powers to fit within the limits. Either the picks fit the limits, or they don't.

Any other limits anyone can think of are also welcome.

Also, who else (that hasn't already said something) would be interested in being in this?? Without sufficient interest it'll fall flat on its face.

Judges should help though if voting lags, and they will need to agree to be impartial and wait for a decent amount of debating before deciding anything. So far we have Arabian Knight (LP), LethalFemme, possibly newjak, silverspider, and Darkcrawler. That's plenty right there, but if there's lots of interest in being a judge (or if there's an odd number of judges) we can certainly rotate somehow.

...all I got for now...I'll start removing myself gradually once the tourney starts to pick up steam.

-DM

Khellendros
Hey, are we doing just comic characters or do we pick from any medium as in the last tourney?

DigiMark007
^^ Undecided right now, but good question. It made it more complicated last time, but also more fun...so there's pros and cons.

My suggestion would be to have sign-ups for the tourney first, then poll the 16 who sign up about various things (prep time, non-comics allowed or not, number of draftees, etc.). That way, you'll have participants before concrete rules, but it will streamline the rule-making process. And a live draft (like Evangel's) will probably be best....even if it means everyone knows everyone else's team.

Since it's also teams and we might have prep, we'll also have to deal with the "Can shields be up as the fight starts?" question that came up in Evangel's tourney.

Dizzle
Originally posted by DigiMark007
^^ Undecided right now, but good question. It made it more complicated last time, but also more fun...so there's pros and cons.

My suggestion would be to have sign-ups for the tourney first, then poll the 16 who sign up about various things (prep time, non-comics allowed or not, number of draftees, etc.). That way, you'll have participants before concrete rules, but it will streamline the rule-making process. And a live draft (like Evangel's) will probably be best....even if it means everyone knows everyone else's team.

Since it's also teams and we might have prep, we'll also have to deal with the "Can shields be up as the fight starts?" question that came up in Evangel's tourney.

That's a very good idea... Especially since we're kind of reverse sticking-it-to-the-man and putting a lot more power in a few, more forum recognizable people, rather than leaving it up to everyone who signed up before X point in time.

And yeah, since I'm probably going to be (co) director of this tourney, I'm not dealing with massive PM drafting things. It matters a lot less now, since one specific weakness probably won't destroy an entire team.

Are we fairly good for the general power level stuff then? Mach 10 might be a little bit high for the speed cap, but everything else looks alright to me... For number of people per team, I was thinking somewhere in the 3-5 range.

ScarletSpider
I'd like to participate. I missed the last few because I hate amalgams, and I had left the forums for a bit. But now I'm shirking all responsibilities and can hang out here all the time.

life is cruell
if we arent doing amalgams then we're just picking one character?

ScarletSpider
If we are doing amalgams, count me out. They suck.

grey fox
Originally posted by life is cruell
if we arent doing amalgams then we're just picking one character?

No were picking teams , of course discussion will be currently about the basic rules (Can non comic characters participate etc).

I will join in with this tourney , i won my last match hopefully i may get further......

Dizzle
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
If we are doing amalgams, count me out. They suck.

No, this is definitely teams. Probably something between 3 and 5 people per team. I think some of the more personal preference kind of things (number of people on the team, certain abilities, prep time, allowing non comic characters, etc) will be left to the actual contestants and judges to decide. The more general rules are being established now, like basic power caps.

Oh yeah, I think signups will be sometime next week. I know Digi opened all of his threads around noonish Eastern time, but I'm usually not on until a bit later. I want to wait until there's been a little more discussion on general power levels before signups. I may even wait as long as next weekend...

grey fox
Originally posted by Dizzle
I may even wait as long as next weekend...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Seriously don't , everything i freaking want has been delayed .

Hellsing ova , Advent Children , Doctor Who.......

outavodka
Originally posted by grey fox
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Seriously don't , everything i freaking want has been delayed .

Hellsing ova , Advent Children , Doctor Who.......
lol i feel ur pain... iwant in too

Scoobless
are you just going to go with straight out battles again or team missions where they don't just fight each other?

Blair Wind
I think that judges on rotation would work best....ill volunteer for that to be a judge, since I come on almost everyday, but since some others dont (and if some want to be candidates for the tourny, it would work perfectly)

I think that team missions would be a cool idea, but how would you approach that type of thing?

Dizzle
Originally posted by Scoobless
are you just going to go with straight out battles again or team missions where they don't just fight each other?

Battles.

Dizzle
Originally posted by Blair Wind
I think that judges on rotation would work best....ill volunteer for that to be a judge, since I come on almost everyday, but since some others dont (and if some want to be candidates for the tourny, it would work perfectly)

We have a lot of people who want to judge, so it's definitely going to be a rotation. The number of judges per match will also be something decided by the participants.

There's already a good amount of interest for this tourney... I think signups will probably start Wednesday, and first drafts will be around next Sunday. Depending on how fast we fill all 16 spots and get all of the smaller details hammered out, of course.

Precisely the reason why we... aren't doing missions...

DigiMark007
Couple things to remember...

More people on the team means WAY more drafting. And since we're not picking from multiple power levels (like scarletspider's old tourney) picks will be hard to come by in later rounds. I'd set a cap of like 4 to a team...and 3 would be even easier. Still it's up to others.

If anyone wants to co-direct with Dizzle, feel free to speak up. I'll be acting as sort of an advisor occasionally too...tourney directors shouldn't have to go in blind.

Make sure you post the limits and basic rules when you make the sign-up thread Dizzle...and PM me so that I can pin it.

To the judges....battles will probably be up around a week (give or take depending on what is decided). So you won't have to worry about being on every day...though it obviously couldn't hurt. But there'll be plenty of time to vote. The people who have expressed interest in being a judge are Arabian Knight (LP), LethalFemme, possibly newjak, silverspider, Darkcrawler, and Blair Wind. I would imagine that they can also participate in the tourney if they want too...they just obviously couldn't judge their own matches.

MuffinmanMike
If you need an extra judge during one of their matches, I'd gladly take the spot as the official "Non-Participant" judge :P

grey fox
Everything seems to be going swimmingly...superb

Blair Wind
what about time before match? is there gonna be prep time, no time, and magic characters need to be discussed, cuz if someone wanted to they could pull anything they want from their ass and say its within "magic"......

thesilverspider
I'm always on so I'll co-direct with dizzle if neccesary.

grey fox
what about time before match? is there gonna be prep time, no time, and magic characters need to be discussed, cuz if someone wanted to they could pull anything they want from their ass and say its within "magic"......

It would make sense if magic was limited , eg zatanna is a off limits character , wheras spawn on the otherhand uses magic in a not-so-over-the-top way.

Dizzle
Originally posted by thesilverspider
I'm always on so I'll co-direct with dizzle if neccesary.

Sweet deal. If you wanted to be in the tourney, don't feel obligated to help direct it, but if you don't mind, the help would be much appreciated.

Dizzle
It would make sense if magic was limited , eg zatanna is a off limits character , wheras spawn on the otherhand uses magic in a not-so-over-the-top way.

Most matter/reality warping is going to be banned as it is, so most of the uber magic people (Strange, Zatanna) aren't going to be allowed. Neither of them really fit the description of "Iron Man level" anyway. If someone is "magic" in the Thorlike sense, meaning they are powered by magic, should be fine. People who have control over reality, not so much. Magic is allowed, but many of the things that people do with magic won't be. (Thor isn't really allowed, btw... but he doesn't do crazy, all but unexplainable stuff with magic, which was my point)

Dark Urizen
I'd also be very happy and honored to be a judge.

By the way, maybe you should also think of eliminating conscience-like characters such as Iceman, who doesn't need a physical form to affect the match. Because normally in order to take those out you need high ranking telepathy or matter manipulation, and those are both restricted. So if you allowed someone like Bobby, it wouldn't be very fair.

Dizzle
Originally posted by Dark Urizen
I'd also be very happy and honored to be a judge.

By the way, maybe you should also think of eliminating conscience-like characters such as Iceman, who doesn't need a physical form to affect the match. Because normally in order to take those out you need high ranking telepathy or matter manipulation, and those are both restricted. So if you allowed someone like Bobby, it wouldn't be very fair.

There's a durability cap on Thing though. Bobby, and anyone else who can transfer a consciousness, can take WAY more than Thing. Maybe we should call it a killability cap or something instead, just to clarify...

That said, I was also thinking about intangibility... And "ring out" characters (mainly Blink and Cloak). Both of them are probably going to be banned, as would anyone who can teleport other people outside of the environment.

Dark Urizen
There's a durability cap on Thing though. Bobby, and anyone else who can transfer a consciousness, can take WAY more than Thing. Maybe we should call it a killability cap or something instead, just to clarify...

That said, I was also thinking about intangibility... And "ring out" characters (mainly Blink and Cloak). Both of them are probably going to be banned, as would anyone who can teleport other people outside of the environment.

Not really. His "durability" would be about 1000 times worse than Thing's. Make sure you don't get caught up in the semantics before things start wink

Maybe the proper terminology would be "characters without the need of a tangible body in order to use their powers are banned".

Dizzle
Not really. His "durability" would be about 1000 times worse than Thing's. Make sure you don't get caught up in the semantics before things start wink

Maybe the proper terminology would be "characters without the need of a tangible body in order to use their powers are banned".

Meh, that's what I meant by "killability". His body will get destroyed by a lot less than it would take to kill thing, but to kill him completely? It would take a LOT more.

I'm trying to generalize it more, in case someone comes up with a guy who can do something similar, but not quite exactly, what Bobby does. Loopholes suck. If someone can transfer consciousness, they will undoubtedly be harder to kill than Thing, so the "killabilaty" cap would still cover them.

Dark Urizen
Meh, that's what I meant by "killability". His body will get destroyed by a lot less than it would take to kill thing, but to kill him completely? It would take a LOT more.

I'm trying to generalize it more, in case someone comes up with a guy who can do something similar, but not quite exactly, what Bobby does. Loopholes suck. If someone can transfer consciousness, they will undoubtedly be harder to kill than Thing, so the "killabilaty" cap would still cover them.

Yep, be sure to look out for loopholes when the drafting starts.

grey fox
And you guy's still have to discuss on whether or not it should just be comic book characters , because let's be honest we all want to use an anime character . The only reason we weren't swamped with a billion Anime characters in the amalgam tourney was because not many people knew so only me and someone else used them (with me picking walter from hellsing and another guy choosing kenshin)

Dizzle
And you guy's still have to discuss on whether or not it should just be comic book characters , because let's be honest we all want to use an anime character . The only reason we weren't swamped with a billion Anime characters in the amalgam tourney was because not many people knew so only me and someone else used them (with me picking walter from hellsing and another guy choosing kenshin)

I was actually thinking about picking Vash, but I figured he might be TOO fast, and the Angel Arm would've been banned anyway.

I'm leaving the "non-comic characters" up to the people who are actually in the tournament, as well as the number of draft picks (I think it's gonna be 3 or 4... 5's a bit too much from one range of power) and some of the other details.

Scoobless

i'd be against it..... Anime characters seem to live by different rules of physics and life & death than other comic type characters.... and when they're shown to be lightning fast are they ever really moving faster than peak human?

there's too many differences that'll be argued over for ages taking attention away from the actual point of the match ups

Dark Urizen
i'd be against it..... Anime characters seem to live by different rules of physics and life & death than other comic type characters.... and when they're shown to be lightning fast are they ever really moving faster than peak human?

there's too many differences that'll be argued over for ages taking attention away from the actual point of the match ups

I agree. They also add to the "chi factor" which i find annoying as hell. Is it magic? Is it energy? Who the f*ck knows. All i know is that it's too goddamn annoying to figure out.

God i hope nobody pics chi-based characters.

Dizzle
I agree. They also add to the "chi factor" which i find annoying as hell. Is it magic? Is it energy? Who the f*ck knows. All i know is that it's too goddamn annoying to figure out.

God i hope nobody pics chi-based characters.

I really don't care what it is... As long as it's within power limits. There's stuff outside of anime as well (books, video games, etc)

Anime characters can be confusing as to power levels, because no numbers really get stated. Kenshin and Goku both move as little flashes, but one flies and does the whole "interplanetary travel" thing, while Kenshin stalemates guys who later get owned by a gattling gun and a skinny drug lord.

However, some of them DO bring in an interesting twist, and there's never really direct comparison between them and comic characters, so it eliminates a lot of the "No, see, my guy beat your guy once", regardless of PIS and such. There's both pros and cons, which is why I'm leaving it to the participants.

thesilverspider
Sweet deal. If you wanted to be in the tourney, don't feel obligated to help direct it, but if you don't mind, the help would be much appreciated.
yea I'll help since I'm not to familiar with past tourneys sad

DigiMark007
silverspider and Dizzle...

I mentioned some of this to Dizzle but you can both start thinking of battle locations. Coming up with enough good ones will be tricky.

Decide early on how you want to set up the matches. Evangel threw us together into matches. In the last one, I decided that the order in which people signed up for it would determine thier "rank" so that 1 played 16, 2/15, etc. That seemed to work well for me for randomness and fairness, but you can use whatever you like.

You'll both have the final say on draft picks...listen to others' gripes and opinions, but don't be afraid to exercise your power (with limits too if necessary).

I'll help for a bit, but once school starts again (mid Jan. or so) I'll be swamped.

K Von Doom
how about the more unusual powers like... phasing or multiple man or door man, instant ko's like rogue, absorbing man, gideon, human torch with nova blast, mind switches, time travellers, death spores, mandarins rings

DigiMark007
^^ Most of that stuff would likely make them above Iron Man somehow anyway.

{Edit} Judging by Dizzle's post beneath me, it sounds like things are well in hand. You're eons ahead of what I was prepared for at this phase in the last tourney.

Dizzle
Multiple Man should be fine-his powers don't make him invincible, nor do they make him really godly powerful. He's very useful for street level destruction, but once you get into the actual Iron Man level people, quality definitely reigns over quantity.

Let me start the rest by saying that no one in this tourney is getting cut down. If you pick a guy, his maximum levels must be within the caps. So while Human Torch's normal blasts are below Iron Man level, his Nova Blast would not be. Intangibility is being left to the contestants. Mind switches are a no no, time traveling will be ruled as a ring out against you. (so someone who CAN time travel isn't necessarily banned, but trying it would simply remove you from the fight, and put you down one guy) I'm probably actually just going to enforce LP's imaginary "no instant kill" rule, to make it a little easier. If you're picking someone because they can take someone of Thing level killability, via any method, in one easy go.... Don't even try it.

I'm thinking about actually enforcing the power caps as well. The past solutions have mostly been to simply adjust what one character "should" be able to do according to the tourney, and restricting them to that. I'm thinking about just eliminating characters from teams if they are argued to be well beyond any of the limits. It's an Iron Man level tourney. Is it really fair if one person wins because they drafted an obscure herald leveler?

Lord Magnus
Indeed.

Talking_Owl
agreed

Lord Magnus
Indeed agreed.

DarkCrawler
Agreed indeed.

grey fox
Indeed agreed which supercede that i pee'd

DigiMark007
Weak. Keep it on topic please.

Blair Wind
ok....so what would be about the fastest person who could participate? (quicksilver or northstar would work?) strengh is about Thing level...(colossus would work too right?)...what about regenaration powers?

would cyclops, havok, Cyborg, or beast boy work? just trying to think of who would be acceptable and who would not be.....

now that I think about it I MAY want to participate, i got a few aces up my sleeve.....

ScarletSpider
No we don't. If this is an American Comicbook tournament, this should be limited to characters who regularly appear in comics. Anime/Manga are not American Comicbooks, they are just crap.

Dizzle
ok....so what would be about the fastest person who could participate? (quicksilver or northstar would work?) strengh is about Thing level...(colossus would work too right?)...what about regenaration powers?

would cyclops, havok, Cyborg, or beast boy work? just trying to think of who would be acceptable and who would not be.....

now that I think about it I MAY want to participate, i got a few aces up my sleeve.....

We haven't agreed on a speed cap yet. I proposed mach 10, which would allow Quicksilver, but not Northstar, since he can definitely go faster. He cruises at mach 10, but is not limited to it. Since no one has really argued, I'll leave that to the participants in the tournament.

As to healing: Killability really wouldn't work, since people who regenerate take sustained damage and more focused attacks extremely well, but ususally wouldn't take larger blast-type things as easily...

Healing's probably going to be restricted to Wolverine level. Though that is again going to bring up questions of consistancy, where healing factors are almost notorious for being inconsistant. We're probably going to end up defining "Wolverine level" with the 16 contestants, and write off higher showings as PIS, for the sake of a smoother tournament, if nothing else.

Don't ask about individual characters now, because I don't really want to start saying yes or no to people until someone actually tries to draft them, after all the rules have been settled upon. I won't even try to pretend that know the upper limits for every character that's going to be proposed, so I'm going to let other people argue for or against potential characters during drafting, and I will still be requiring all picks to have an online bio. Preferably not wikipedia or something of that nature, though I may accept it for slightly more obscure characters... I definitely used it in the last tourney for both of my book people. And if you're going to try to fake a site, please don't insult my intelligence with it. It just makes you look like an idiot, and WILL destroy any respect you may have built up on this forum so far.

Blair Wind
ok...just read this...but I already sent you a pm about something...sorry ignore it for now I guess.....unless you can give your opinion?

Khellendros
Yeah... I find myself agreeing with the people arguign against Manga/Anime characters. I don't care what other mediums are allowed in, but I;d like to see those excluded.

Dizzle
Hmm... I was thinking to just group all non comic people together and allow them all or allow none. Anime and manga are really hard to judge though. If most contestants want other mediums, but also want to ban anime characters, we could do that. I like adding as much variety as I can, but if everyone but grey fox really hates anime...

inamilist
hey, if possible im interested in judging this!

ill participate anyways smile

K Von Doom
Hmm... I was thinking to just group all non comic people together and allow them all or allow none.

Non comic like... for instance... Macgyver?

Dizzle
Originally posted by K Von Doom
Non comic like... for instance... Macgyver?

Macgyver is way beyond Iron Man level... But yes, books, video games, movies, etc.

grey fox
Ok then mabye it's just because i like manga , i was only going to pick a particularly weak character (seeing as it was possibly the only one to conform to standards) . So no anime but other options still viable ?

Dizzle
The signup thread is up, people. Hopefully, Digi will be here soon to pin it. I think we should probably leave this thread here as well, as a general discussion thread for the tournament.

life is cruell
The idea of judging and playing in the tournament doesnt sound good to me. Im not accusing the ppl here of dishonesty but they are clever and judges could eliminate ppl thye find stronger and stuff.

Sir Whirlysplat
I would be interested in judging guys. If you'd let me.

Dizzle
Originally posted by life is cruell
The idea of judging and playing in the tournament doesnt sound good to me. Im not accusing the ppl here of dishonesty but they are clever and judges could eliminate ppl thye find stronger and stuff.

People won't be judging guys that they'll fight in the next round, if I can help it. We have a lot of volunteers, so I don't really think it'll be a problem.

Khellendros
So, will there be a time when we can run potential picks by you, or do we just wait until draft day and hope for the best?

Dizzle
Not all of the rules have been set yet... I was hoping to let the contestants decide on some stuff beforehand.

So far, that I can think of, we need to settle on:

Non-comic characters (anime is probably getting shot down, but stuff like books, video games, etc)

Speed cap

Healing factor limits

Number of picks per person

And of course, any other suggestions contestants have for me and silverspider.

If you have a question about a certain type of power that hasn't been brought up, feel free to PM me.

Blair Wind
im just assuming here but what I remember him sayins is that we as candidates would discuss if a person was allowed or not if there was some concern about power.....like my case, but Dizzle ima see if I can anyways....cuz I can make it permanent for him/her, and I dont they will mind.....(and SilverSpider looked at it and said that it should be fine.....)i really dont think that he/she would be a problem.....

the only thing I have an opinion on right now is the number of characters (I think four to five would be perfect.....)

Dizzle and Silverspider any way that you could pm the 16 of us (7 so far that I know of) when your gonna start with drafting?

Dizzle
I'll make sure everyone knows about drafts beforehand...

If SS disagrees with me about a character, feel free to run it by the other contestants during drafts. I stick with my opinion, however. If no one else really sees a problem, and SS gives him the ok, he'll be allowed.

5 characters per person is a lot... That'd be a total of 80 characters from a single power class. I was thinking 3-4 picks per person. (48-64... and that's STILL a very good number of guys)

Blair Wind
how about 4? right in the middle? not five, not three, but four?

Khellendros
Not all of the rules have been set yet... I was hoping to let the contestants decide on some stuff beforehand.

So far, that I can think of, we need to settle on:

Non-comic characters (anime is probably getting shot down, but stuff like books, video games, etc)

Speed cap

Healing factor limits

Number of picks per person

And of course, any other suggestions contestants have for me and silverspider.

If you have a question about a certain type of power that hasn't been brought up, feel free to PM me.
I really don't see healing factors being nearly as much of a threat as they were in the street tourney. Deadpool may have massive damage soak, but Colossus could still twist his head off like the lid off a pickle jar.

Blair Wind
lol but he would still come back from that....hes gotten through with worse

K Von Doom
Originally posted by Khellendros
Deadpool may have massive damage soak, but Colossus could still twist his head off like the lid off a pickle jar.

those lids are tough

inamilist
wouldn't deadpool's immortality diqualify him?

Khellendros
Originally posted by inamilist
wouldn't deadpool's immortality diqualify him?
Yeah, well he was just an example...

Dizzle
I really don't see healing factors being nearly as much of a threat as they were in the street tourney. Deadpool may have massive damage soak, but Colossus could still twist his head off like the lid off a pickle jar.

We still need a limit though. I'm trying to cover every angle that I can, to keep it all fair. There's always loopholes to tournament rules, so I'm trying to eliminate them. Healing definitely won't be as big of a factor, especially since it's not amalgams, and because we have much more deadly offense this time around, but there's still a line that would put someone above the damage that even these guys can dish out. Hulk or Shaggy Man would be good examples, if they didn't beat the other caps into the ground too...

And immortals aren't necessarily banned, becuase they can be incapacitated. KOs, damage that would take an extended period of time to heal, and ring outs all count as wins.

grey fox
Are we banning magic all together or only 'i can do anything by uttering a few words' kind of magic ?

inamilist

And immortals aren't necessarily banned, becuase they can be incapacitated. KOs, damage that would take an extended period of time to heal, and ring outs all count as wins.

thanks for the clarification

inamilist
what about something like the symbiote which provides partial invulnerability to certain attacks, like bullets or claws?

or the power "invlunerability" in general i guess, though im sure thats easily covered under killability

so specific immunities, whats the word?

DigiMark007
Iron Man would own a symbiote...but you're welcome to pick one.

Announcement:

This thread is being switched to a "General Tourney Discussion" thread. Don't spam the battles and sign-ups and stuff...use this thread for questions and tourney-related discussion.

inamilist
Iron Man would own a symbiote...but you're welcome to pick one.

no doubt, but my question was about the inclusion of people who are invulnerable to X

it was the best example i could think of...

probably moot anyways :P

Dizzle
Are we banning magic all together or only 'i can do anything by uttering a few words' kind of magic ?

If something is "magic" but still abides by all of the rules (no matter manipulation, nothing bigger than Iron Man level blasting) it's allowed. Unpossible stuff like what Zatanna and Strange do regularly is not allowed.

Scoobless
like Black Knight's sword?

Dizzle
no doubt, but my question was about the inclusion of people who are invulnerable to X

it was the best example i could think of...

probably moot anyways :P

Immunities to stuff like radiation, sickness, poison, etc are all fine. Resistances to temperature and whatnot should be ok too. For any physical resistances, think Thing. If it's very specific, but goes a little beyond what Thing should do, we'll probably let it slide.

grey fox
If something is "magic" but still abides by all of the rules (no matter manipulation, nothing bigger than Iron Man level blasting) it's allowed. Unpossible stuff like what Zatanna and Strange do regularly is not allowed.

Ok i just had a possible character choice who has a energy blast type attack which is magical..... just wanted to make sure it was possible to use him big grin

Dizzle
like Black Knight's sword?

Yeah, magic weapons are fine. Even magic-based blasts and such would be fine, but stuff like that usually comes with at least some degree of reality or matter manipulation, or stuff that is definitely banned, regardless of where it comes from.

grey fox
Sweet....

K Von Doom
How about teleportation... say... like Lila Cheney... she gets her field close enough to the opposing three and teleports the four of them, would that be a ring out for the other team seeng as Lila would still have her two teammates in the battlefield?

inamilist
How about teleportation... say... like Lila Cheney... she gets her field close enough to the opposing three and teleports the four of them, would that be a ring out for the other team seeng as Lila would still have her two teammates in the battlefield?

wasn't any sort of "instant death" thing banned?

i think being able to teleport oponents (especially parts of opponents) is too powerful for this type of thing

same with dimensions and what have you

DigiMark007
Dizzle already mentioned teleportation as a ring-out tactic wouldn't be allowed. Not sure what the ruling is on it for other purposes though.

grey fox
Dizzle already mentioned teleportation as a ring-out tactic wouldn't be allowed. Not sure what the ruling is on it for other purposes though.

You mean like when blink can grab objects and teleport them away.....

K Von Doom
I thought the teleporation mentioned before was regarding a situation in which a character is about to get beat up but then teleports as a defensive measure - which would be a ring out - better that they get wailed on and hope for help.

inamilist
I thought the teleporation mentioned before was regarding a situation in which a character is about to beat up but then teleports as a defensive measure - which would be a ring out - better that they get wailed on and hope for help.

you are proposing an instant win trigger

obviously it's not allowed

K Von Doom
you are proposing an instant win trigger

obviously it's not allowed

?

well, it'll be an instant win for team 1 if all characters from team 2 teleport away.

inamilist
?

well, it'll be an instant win for team 1 if all characters from team 2 teleport away.

so, if a character from your team has the ability to remove other characters from the field of combat through dimensions or teleportation you are instantly winning.

might as well let people use Strange

K Von Doom
so, if a character from your team has the ability to remove other characters from the field of combat through dimensions or teleportation you are instantly winning.

might as well let people use Strange

umm... yeah... that's why i was pointing it out. Would a character like Lila Cheney be allowed, or anyone with similar powers, because it would imbalance the tourney if they were.

inamilist
umm... yeah... that's why i was pointing it out. Would a character like Lila Cheney be allowed, or anyone with similar powers, because it would imbalance the tourney if they were.

lol, well then, we agree big grin

Dizzle

Teleporting over large distances is illegal. Guys like Nightcrawler should be fine, but even Blink is a little too much.

Dizzle
All right, now is the time for settling the final rules. So far, picks are limited absolutely to the following caps:

Strength: Thing
Killability: Thing
Energy Projection: Iron man
Speed: Mach 10
Telekinesis: ? (Phoenixless Jean Grey level, possibly?)
Regeneration: Deadpool (just above Wolverine)
Teleportation: Nightcrawler
Mind switching is banned.
Telepathy is banned.
Matter and reality manipulation are banned.
"One hit kill" abilities are banned.

If I'm missing anything, feel free to add to the list. Right now, the 17 tourney participants (16 plus alternate) should vote on
1) Number of draft picks: 3 or 4.
2) Non-Comic Characters: In or out. (or vote to allow certain outside mediums, but ban others)

Blair Wind
1) 4
2) out, only other medium I can think of is anime and video games and there on different physics

im unfamilar with speed limits any character that fills the bill perfectly??
on the subject of teleportation....would people like nightcrawler be able to teleport people outside of the environment? cuz if someone was too powerful for there team would they be able to just teleport them out and then kill themselves to.......

dman2008
1. 4
2. out

K Von Doom
I would have to vote against teleporting people off the battlefield... in a scenario where it's Nightcrawler and Black Knight against Rhino, all NC had to do was teleport himself and Rhino off the battlefield for a double ring out then Black Knight's team wins. It's like, sic Nightcrawler on the opposing teams most powerful.

Blair Wind
exactly what Im saying....

inamilist
1) 4, just to conform... 3 would be cool also
2) out

im also in favor of a full ban on teleportation. Its already leading to confusion...

+ i think its application may make it too strong for the contest (they would have to not teleport in a "certain way" to continue to use the power)

Scoobless
1) either is fine

2) out... comic characters only.... it is the comic book versus forum we're having it in

life is cruell
for jean level tk do u mean psylocke?

Khellendros
1) I'd rather have just 3
2) out

EDIT: Also, does killability mean the same as durability? If not, what is the limit there?

Dizzle
I would have to vote against teleporting people off the battlefield... in a scenario where it's Nightcrawler and Black Knight against Rhino, all NC had to do was teleport himself and Rhino off the battlefield for a double ring out then Black Knight's team wins. It's like, sic Nightcrawler on the opposing teams most powerful.

My rationale is that Nightcrawler maxes his teleportation at 2 miles, give or take. If battlefields are smaller than that, (with walls, or something) I'll just make them block teleporters too. In a cage match type of settings, teleporters can't leave the arena. In more open ended places, 2 miles won't be a really insurmountable distance. Any flyers could cover that within a minute, grounded characters would take just a bit longer... Just being 2 miles away wouldn't really constitue a ring out, since Thing will probably be able to throw some people that far. If most are in favor of banning teleportation completely, it'll be banned. I just didn't think it'd be much of a problem.

For the speed cap, I was thinking of Quicksilver...

inamilist
i still have to say no to TP

*Nightcrawler grabs enemy deadpool

teleports

nightcrawler is in front of the tree, deadpool is in it

Scoobless
grrrr.... whenever these things are about to start i get a little impatient.... i've come up with my first draft choice and i want to get him/her asap..... friggin' waitin' till sunday.... psssshhht

Blair Wind
hes about mach 10?? aight.....me to scoobs....im more worried about my second pick tho.....

Dizzle
i still have to say no to TP

*Nightcrawler grabs enemy deadpool

teleports

nightcrawler is in front of the tree, deadpool is in it

Gah, didn't think of the 'kamikaze' approach. He won't get far enough away, but if he teleports inside of something... No fun at all. For right now, I'mma say that most teleporters can potentially (and fairly easily) break the OHKO rule. BANNED!!!

And for anyone living east of Greenland, drafts have been pushed back till next Wednesday. smile

Dizzle
(just kidding Scoob)

inamilist
Gah, didn't think of the 'kamikaze' approach. He won't get far enough away, but if he teleports inside of something... No fun at all. For right now, I'mma say that most teleporters can potentially (and fairly easily) break the OHKO rule. BANNED!!!

the system works!

Scoobless
(just kidding Scoob)

you will pay!!!

Scoobless
whistling...... is it gonna be open or secret drafting?

Blair Wind
he said open so that we could discuss them amonst ourselves

Khellendros
Dizzle, did you see my question on the last page about Killability?

inamilist
EDIT: Also, does killability mean the same as durability? If not, what is the limit there?

killability is more of a general term. It refers to characters that require special means by which to incapacitate them.

Lobo, needs to have his molecules destroyed
Iceman, can live without a body

durability is definatly a factor of killability, but not the only one

Blair Wind
um last he said, it should be about the same as things, like say iceman cant be allowed because his durabily is much lower but his killability is much higher....

long pig
I'd prefer no TP...or TK.

Dizzle
Oh, sorry, no I didn't.

Killability is basically durability, but a step further. If an attack can kill Thing, it should be able to kill whoever you pick as well. I changed it from durability when someone questioned about Iceman's whole consciousness transferring thing. His body would get destroyed, but he himself can survive a blast that would also demolish Ben Grimm. Ben is more durable, but Iceman is less killable.

EDIT: Dammit, I was beaten to it.

Oh, and drafts are open, not closed, because Digi says it's a complete pain in the arse, and I really don't think it has really huge benefits. Plus discussion is easier this way, because no one will really try to be secretive about their picks...

Ok, LP has voted for no TK. Votes for or against, add it as #3. (TP is banned already)

Scoobless
i'm against TK as well

Blair Wind
I vote for tk....

long pig
Drafts are open?

Blair Wind
open not secret, not that there open yet

Dizzle
^ What he said. You just post who you pick in the thread, rather than PMing me your choices and having me announce everyone. They'll start on Sunday.

Scoobless
^ What he said. You just post who you pick in the thread, rather than PMing me your choices and having me announce everyone. They'll start on Sunday.

but i wanna start drafting now!!!!!!!

inamilist
TK = telekenesis? im assuming

id vote against it aswell. To many little tricks one can achieve.

man, it sucks that so much needs to get banned...

Dizzle
Characters who would give Iron Man a fight aren't really being restricted that much though. Most of the banned stuff is pretty much exclusive to herald levelers and above. (matter/reality manipulation, for example)

long pig
Characters who would give Iron Man a fight aren't really being restricted that much though. Most of the banned stuff is pretty much exclusive to herald levelers and above. (matter/reality manipulation, for example)
I better figure out who I'm picking, then.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

inamilist
lol

i compleatly agree with all the bans

im sure half way through someone will discover another power/gimic that should have been banned

long pig
Will the teams have good ammounts of prep?

Scoobless
and a spellcheck roll eyes (sarcastic)

long pig
and a spellcheck roll eyes (sarcastic)
Here in america, that's how we spell it. NAZI SCUM!!!!!111!!!!EXCLAMATIONPOINTS!!!!

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
Here in america, that's how we spell it. NAZI SCUM!!!!!111!!!!EXCLAMATIONPOINTS!!!!

don't waste your energy getting angry.... in fact you don't have long to go pick out your new dress

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4297/bri30438ce.jpg

eek!

laughing out loud

Dizzle
Originally posted by long pig
Will the teams have good ammounts of prep?

Oh yeah... One hour, everyone?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>