Duel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

16carlos1989
Hi people, i was wondering what you think about a certain duel. One between Harry and Voldemort. Who do you think would win? i would like to hear some opinions.

gshkris7272
Harry Potter rules!

TheSun
Originally posted by 16carlos1989
Hi people, i was wondering what you think about a certain duel. One between Harry and Voldemort. Who do you think would win? i would like to hear some opinions.
Obvious really - Harry will never be able to defeat Voldemort - people with Harry's talent are ten-a-penny - however there is obviously something unique that Harry possesses, and whatever it is it will play a critical role in the evntual downfall of V-mort.

zombieman
It is his ability to love, it has been mentioned several times.

Imperial_Samura
Straight up, at the end of book six, there is no way Harry could enter into a duel with Voldermort and win. He lacks the skill, the speed, the spell power. He was even on slippery ground with Malfoy, who got the drop on him once, then nearly did again.

Which brings us to what Harry has that will help him win. His friends (they've always helped him) - but then they aren't all that much superior to Harry in terms of skill. He has the link to Voldermort, that power sharing thing that Voldermort gave him when he tried to kill him. He has a wand that reacts with it's brother, Voldermort's wand. He has that protection staying with the Dursley's gives him. He knows all about Voldermort's past, including his muggle father. Might he even end up with Godric Gryffindors sword again? And he has his ability to "love." Though it must be asked "how" this ability to love will allow him to overcome Voldermort.

His ability to love might very well come into it, maybe he saves someone, or someone turns good, or turns out to be good, like Malfoy, Snape or Wormtale and they come through and distract Voldermort long enough for Harry to strike the necessary blow or Harry sacrifices himself for someone he loves (Ginny?), an act which undoes Voldermort just like when Harry's mother sacrificed herself for Harry, only without his horcruxs Voldermort wont be saved this time. Kind of a full circle situation.

TheSun
Originally posted by zombieman
It is his ability to love, it has been mentioned several times.
Yes I know, however I can't see that being much use in a straight duel - which is what the topic is about.

zombieman
Don't be so certain, how may times in the past has JK thrown in a twist?

TheSun
Don't be so certain, how may times in the past has JK thrown in a twist?
That's fair enough, anything could happen.

sammii
yeh very true , i think the whole book will be leading up yo killing volly,and he,ll be taking pieces away from volly and making him weaker so when it comes down to the end,the fight wil be fairy equal
an easier ..............

Jade Chihuahua
Voldermort should win
Harryy would win.

sammii
TRUELY

TheSun
Originally posted by sammii
TRUELY
Do they not teach spelling in schools nowadays?!?!

sammii
does it really matter if i added one extra letter , is it going to keep you awake all night ...i think not so who cares ..... you just don't like it because ppl are disagreeing with your opinions

TheSun
does it really matter if i added one extra letter , is it going to keep you awake all night ...i think not so who cares ..... you just don't like it because ppl are disagreeing with your opinions
I don't mind people disagreeing with my opinions, that's how debate starts, and I like debate. However I don't like people spelling perfectly simple words incorrectly and not bothering to check if they're right or not. It's an insult to the English language.

sammii
yeah ok fair enough if the word was so badly spelt that you couldn't,t read it but not with one fcuking word .....& yeah i understand it is easier to read with words spelt correctly

TheSun
yeah ok fair enough if the word was so badly spelt that you couldn't,t read it but not with one fcuking word .....& yeah i understand it is easier to read with words spelt correctly
I'm not talking about whether it is easy to read or not - you were trying to say 'truly'- if you can't spell that, then how are you going to manage to spell more complicated words? Spelling is essential, it's not merely enough that one can read what you write.

sammii
omg will you drop it ,its not like my writing is getting inspected so no it dosen,t matter if a fuking word is spelt wrong as long as it can be read !!!!

ladygrim
Originally posted by TheSun
Obvious really - Harry will never be able to defeat Voldemort - people with Harry's talent are ten-a-penny - however there is obviously something unique that Harry possesses, and whatever it is it will play a critical role in the evntual downfall of V-mort. This time 'THe sun' i have to agree i dont think harry has the power to defeat such a great evil ....

TheSun
Originally posted by ladygrim
This time 'THe sun' i have to agree i dont think harry has the power to defeat such a great evil ....
Thank you kindly

TheSun
omg will you drop it ,its not like my writing is getting inspected so no it dosen,t matter if a fuking word is spelt wrong as long as it can be read !!!!
Well yes it does, for errors committed during general writing, such as this, will eventually overlap into academic and indeed common use, i.e. errors made here will become permanent errors. However if your spelling is correct in all your writing you are much less likely to make them when it does matter. Please stop being offensive, there is no need to show immaturity.

DarkC
Book 6 Harry couldn't defeat VOldemort.

But we don't know what will happen in book 7. So, undecided really.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by DarkC
Book 6 Harry couldn't defeat VOldemort.

But we don't know what will happen in book 7. So, undecided really.

Book 6 Harry had trouble even dealing with Malfoy.

Which is the thing - I don't see any reasonable way he could learn the skills needed to take Voldermort, second most powerful wizard after Dumbledore, in a straight up duel.

In such a situation, if it was realistic, Voldermort would win 10/10 unless other factors come into play, like some sort of protection that knocks a death spell back onto the caster. And I don't think Voldermort will make quite that mistake again.

Who knows, maybe at the last minute Dumbledore will suddenly posses Harry or something - maybe when he died his soul was able to enter Harry and lie dormant, and it's just waiting for the right moment to strike, to duel Voldermort by controlling Harry... It would after all still fulfill the prophesy, and we know souls can exist in other things, other living things... maybe like a good version of the horcrux, instead of murdering someone you sacrifice yourself... and... who knows. I'm rambling.

zombieman
Do they not teach spelling in schools nowadays?!?!

Didn't they teach you punctuation? If you want to get pedantic, I could tell you that it is improper to use both a question mark and exclamation mark at the end of a sentence! It is only acceptable in such things as comic books, and this does not look like a comic book to me.

TheSun
Didn't they teach you punctuation? If you want to get pedantic, I could tell you that it is improper to use both a question mark and exclamation mark at the end of a sentence! It is only acceptable in such things as comic books, and this does not look like a comic book to me.
I think that's actually incorrect, in my opinion it's perfectly viable to use both an exclamation and question mark, for two reasons -
a) to express dual sentiments, e.g. anger/curiosity
b) to accentuate certain ideals
Although I admit it's not widely used, I believe it's acceptable, although am happy to admit I'm wrong if you can prove it.

16carlos1989
Listen it doesnt really matter, as long as the word is readable then no one should really care.

sammii
yes zombie man your right ....& the sun shut your face for once have you never made a spelling mistake in your life

DarkC
I think that's actually incorrect, in my opinion it's perfectly viable to use both an exclamation and question mark, for two reasons -
a) to express dual sentiments, e.g. anger/curiosity
b) to accentuate certain ideals
Although I admit it's not widely used, I believe it's acceptable, although am happy to admit I'm wrong if you can prove it.
It's accepted in such things like comic books, online conversations, but I have never, ever seen it in a novel. And I've read a load of novels. So, it must be grammitically incorrect.

TheSun
Originally posted by DarkC
It's accepted in such things like comic books, online conversations, but I have never, ever seen it in a novel. And I've read a load of novels. So, it must be grammitically incorrect.
I've seen it in quite a few novels, and being an avid reader myself I have also read a wide variety of literature. However I suppose it must be personal interpretation - the more creative authors will use alternative devices to accentuate certain points, whilst the stricter of them will probably rely on using conventional techniques. It's 'grammatically' as well.

TheSun
yes zombie man your right ....& the sun shut your face for once have you never made a spelling mistake in your life
Of course I have made mistakes, but I am pleased when people point them out to me - that's the only way people can improve, learning from their mistakes. Furthermore you should have intended to use 'you're', not 'your', in your sentence 'yes zombieman YOUR right'.

Imperial_Samura
Dear me, a question about the ultimate Harry Potter duel has turned into a duel between forum members. Can't we all just get along?

And yes question marks and exclamation marks can be used together - though it's not a traditional thing in literature, much more a new grammatical development. Much like the rule about never beginning a sentence with "and" though people will do it these days - the English language is alive and changes.

I know Terry Pratchett, notable humorous literature satirists, has made points about the use of multiple "!!!" in his books and other grammatical rules.

16carlos1989
Ok this is not supposed to be a talk on how to write properly, you're supposed to answer the question. Oh and shut up about spelling mistakes and other stuff like that, it doesnt really matter.

TheSun
Originally posted by 16carlos1989
Ok this is not supposed to be a talk on how to write properly, you're supposed to answer the question. Oh and shut up about spelling mistakes and other stuff like that, it doesnt really matter.
Actually it matters a great deal.

Take_Me_Away
Harry says to Voldy," I love you!"

Voldy cringes with disgust,"I give up!"

TheSun
Originally posted by Take_Me_Away
Harry says to Voldy," I love you!"

Voldy cringes with disgust,"I give up!"
That's unliklely to happen.

babysooner13
Well yes it does, for errors committed during general writing, such as this, will eventually overlap into academic and indeed common use, i.e. errors made here will become permanent errors. However if your spelling is correct in all your writing you are much less likely to make them when it does matter. Please stop being offensive, there is no need to show immaturity.

Okay, yes The Sun, I do have to agree with you on that. Spelling is essential. Even I have to spell things right so I know someone can read what I'm writing.

ladygrim
Yes.... spelling is somewhat important makes things easier to read but please this thread is to discuss The Duel between potter and voldemort so can we get back to that please

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.