Mario Kart DS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SaTsuJiN
Figured since it was such a popular game, maybe we can all converge and discuss big grin

heres a great tutorial on how to "Snake"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4422514278785769760&q=Mario+Kart+snaking

Any of ya have a favorite car/driver combo?.. I'm traditional, so I use Yoshi with the Standard YS embarrasment ... and my fave track is tick tock clock

and definately share time trial times big grin yum yum happy

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8930473271536815.JPG

General Kaliero
I like Yoshi, preferably with the Egg kart. I suck with anyone else, but Yoshi seems just perfect for my driving style.

Having trouble taking the Retro cups on 150cc, though...

My favorite course... tie between Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road.

And the snaking video doesn't work for me. How do you snake?

As a final note, Sats, what's your friend code for MKDS? (My list is decidedly empty) Mine's 545522217023.

JKozzy
Who plays online? I got this for Christmas and wouldn't mind a few friend codes. stick out tongue

I usually use the Mushmellow.

Smasandian
Snaking?

So thats how they go alot faster than I do in WFC Multiplayer.

Damn.

One thing I dont like is that you dont get a win if somebody disconnects during gameplay. If you do, you get a lost, but if it happens to you, you get nothing.

Kinda of sucks when your on the last track, and your about to beat him/her, and then they disconnect. Especially considering it takes me a couple of minutes to get somebody.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by General Kaliero
And the snaking video doesn't work for me. How do you snake?

As a final note, Sats, what's your friend code for MKDS? (My list is decidedly empty) Mine's 545522217023.

- http://media.putfile.com/Mario-Kart-DS-Snaking -
heres another vid.. although not quite as thorough as the one I posted above.. snaking is basically abusing the mini-turbo system.. on straightways you drift in an S shape along the track.. thus its called snaking

I pmed friend code.. anyone else who wants, PM me big grin

and I agree about yoshi.. I sux0red bad til I picked him.. then I started getting star ratings o_o it was scary

disconnecting is downright drrrty.. I take my losses.. wink

Red Superfly
Got it for Christmas. I'm "snaking" like a pro now.

I don't see how people can call "snaking" abusive or cheating. It's just using the tools you have been given to full effect. You still need skill to do it properly, too.

As for online mode, I only play with friends and people I can punch in the face the next day if they disconnect.

It's the best Mario Kart so far. It just oozes fun. Every track is fun. I enjoy the SNES tracks as ever, just big flat fast laps. My personal favourite is either the Airship from Mario 3, Bowsers Castle or Rainbow Road (I still get a kick outta powersliding the corkscrew in one go).

I unlocked Waluigi (bizarrely I unlocked Dry Bones AFTER Daisy and Waluigi) and I've been using him in the go-kart type car.

Mario using Waluigis digger is also pretty cool.

Brilliant game.

Smasandian
Yeah, there is alot of content in this game.

I try to play online, but Ill pretty much only play with people I know.

StarShine or what its called is loads of fun with a bunch of bud's.

clarson49x
mario kart for DS was way to damn easy. beat it less than a day. but out off all the mario kart games i like the one from nintendo 64

Red Superfly
Originally posted by clarson49x
mario kart for DS was way to damn easy. beat it less than a day. but out off all the mario kart games i like the one from nintendo 64

Want a medal?

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Want a medal?

I do. confused

clarson49x
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
I do. confused same

SaTsuJiN
I noticed alot of players hang around in last place til they get a gold shroom.. then on the 3rd lap they start snaking to 1st usin the shroom

Red Superfly
Yeah because pushing for 3 laps at the front only have every bastard spiky shell hit you, just isn't worth it.

SaTsuJiN
not that I dont find that strategy to be clever.. but it sorta beats the whole idea of 1st place being desirable doesnt it?...

I wonder if they can patch the game over wifi

HigH ScholaR
yes it tis a great game, i'vem played it but haven't got it yet so i'm going down to gamestation (my closest dedicated game store) about amile away or more.

anyway i was thinking aboyt getting
Sonic rush
Mario kart
Advance wars Ds

TwisterGameX
Sonic RUSH IS THE best

HigH ScholaR
how would you rate those games out of 10

powerfulone1987
God, I knew I forgot something. I wanted to start this thread, oh well.

Yeah, I got this game for christmas and I can't stop playing it. It's way better than I imagined. I haven't unlocked any extra places yet, but I guess my favorite so far is the figure 8 track. I like doing the power slides.

And I read up above that somebody unlocked waluigi and others. Does this mean this game has unlockable characters? I didn't think so.

And if my memory serves me correctly I got 1:39 on the figure 8 track. I was surprised the first time a staff member's time came up in my game. But I guess once you get a certain for a track, there score comes up. I haven't tried against the ghost yet for the figure 8 track b/c i know i could never beat it right now. obviously they races with unlocked vehicles or something, so i'll wait until I unlock more powerful vehicles.

Oh yeah, and my favorite character is Mario in the traditional kart. Red is my favorite color and I happen to be good with Mario also. For some reason I don't really like the optional cars that you have in the beginning for some reason. They just don't do it for me.

And since I'm still in the process of getting DSL/broadband at my house and I haven't been able to play online yet. And i'm still waiting for my Nintendo DS WiFi USB thing in the mail, and I don't know back to college until the 15th where they have a cable or dsl connection, so i'll let yall know when i get online.

And where do you get your friend code from in the game. Maybe I didn't look for it yet, but i thought i did. Anyway. And can you input friend codes in the game without haven't been online and playing the person yet?

Spartan005
I just got Mario Kart DS for Xmas and it's insane. I was expecting to just play it whenever all my Xbox games got boring, but to my surprise I would actually pick Mario Kart over my Xbox games. Anyway my favorite tracks are Warluigi pinball, Bowsers Castle, Airship Fortress, DK Pass, and Rainbow Road. I usually use Luigi with the vacuum* kart or whatever the hell it's called. The only bad thing about the game is that it gets ridiculously unfair... especially online. I would be in first place the entire race, and then one of those damn blue shells would hit me, and I would come in 4th place. mad

Red Superfly
Originally posted by powerfulone1987

And I read up above that somebody unlocked waluigi and others. Does this mean this game has unlockable characters? I didn't think so.

Well I've unlocked three so far. Dry Bones (he's the skeleton Koopa turtle thing), Daisy (a yellow version of Peach) and Waluigi.

There's one left I think, who is called R.O.B and he's that old school robot you could get for the NES back in the day.

powerfulone1987
a simple "yes" would have sufficed. I would have liked to discover the unlockable characters on my own but thanks anyway.

Red Superfly
Ah crap. Sorry.

Shadow x 20
My favorite character is Yoshi and I'm old school so my favorite track is Moo Moo Farm from N64 and Choco Mountain from the N64.

General Kaliero
...N64 tracks are old school?

I prefer the SNES stuff over Moo Moo Farm and Choco Mountain any day. Koopa Beach 2, anyone?

Shadow x 20
Yeah. Mario Kart 64 came out almost 5-10 years ago.

powerfulone1987
I rewatched an episode of X-Play today where they review Mario Kart DS and it showed the unlockable characters. So I've seen them now. I must not have took note of this the first time, although the first time I watched it I hadn't gotten Mario Kart DS yet b/c it Christmas hadn't come yet. And I saw some of the unlockable stages. They looked interesting. I need to get to it.

Spartan005
Does anyone know how to find how many wins/losses you have from the game?

Shadow x 20
Check the game records.

Spartan005
Oh thanks.... I'm stupid laughing

powerfulone1987
lol.........yes you are............just kidding.....................am I.......not really because you admitted it yourself..........just agreeing with you....

Shadow x 20
...yeeeeeah. They should have added in the N64 Rainbow Road. That was the best Rainbow Road level.

powerfulone1987
I've been hearing about people liking a level called rainbow road in the game, so maybe they did put it in there and you just haven't unlocked it yet.
I wouldn't know though since I haven't unlocked it.

And this is also my first Mario Kart game.

Shadow x 20
No every Mario game has a Rainbow Road as the last level. I just like the N64 version better then the DS version, SNES version, and GBA version.

powerfulone1987
I don't know if i forgot or never knew about the GBA version. I can't imagine how this would translate to that system.

darth_royke
i've had mario kart for a while... and its the best mario kart game ever... in fact, best mario game ever. i also need to recommend pheonix wright, ace attorney. awesome game and different.

SaTsuJiN
well if you noticed they didnt include the N64 tracks with the glitched shortcuts.. rainbow road was one of them, even though it was nicely designed

JToTheP
well if you noticed they didnt include the N64 tracks with the glitched shortcuts.. rainbow road was one of them, even though it was nicely designed

Or the classic, get in 8th on the first attempt, be behind Bowser or DK.

Get the turbo boost, launch off their back w/ a jump, and skip half the level. I got a 1:49 time for lap one. laughing out loud

Shadow x 20
I wanted Koopa Troopa Beach N64 on it.

General Kaliero
I really wanted a circuit that was all the Rainbow Roads of the series. Each circuit includes four tracks, there were four past MK games, it was the perfect situation. Alas, it didn't happen.

Spartan005
The Koopa Troopa beach on N64 had a lot of short cuts and cheats. But yeah that was one of the better levels in that version. But I wish they put that jungle level from N64 on the DS.... it was the one where you jump over the Ferry and you cross over that bridge at the end. Happy Dance

SaTsuJiN
yeah, I liked the massiveness of the N64 levels.. I'm sure they coulda fixed the glitchy shortcuts.. but perhaps they didnt want to show favoritism to N64.. I like Yoshi canyon, calimari desert, n rainbow road

Red Superfly
Actually, I prefer the smaller SNES style tracks. The likes of Donut Plains are incredibly simple, but so much fun.

I found the N64 tracks to be overblown. I always dreaded Rainbow Road on the N64 version, it was so unbelievably dull. Some of the tracks were just too long.

The only track I really miss from the N64 is Donkey Kong Jungle. For some reason, it was insanely fast comparred to all the others, and it was a really nice design. Yoshi Canyon (the one with the big egg spinning around) was also a strong map.

The DS and SNES sizes are perfect. Neat and quick and well designed for ultimate fun.

Spartan005
Does anyone know if the unlockable characters are actually better than the normal characters? B/c I just unlocked Dry Bones a couple days ago and he doesn't seem any better than anyone else. smile

Shadow x 20
Unlockable characters in Mario Kart are as good as the normal ones. They just give you more choices.

Spartan005
oh... thanx smile

Red Superfly
Yeah, they just offer different combinations of stats. It just gives you more choice. Every character has their strengths and weaknesses and you can find what suits you best by changing their karts.

powerfulone1987
I finally unlocked a new set of tracks today. I was thinking I would never unlock anything.
At first I went through the grand prix on a circuit and I finally beat it in first place but I got a rank E, so I was like oh my god, I give up on unlocking stuff. And I had also previous gotten first place on another circuit and still hadn't unlocked nothing, but as I was saying about the other circuit where I got rank E but still got first place I was about to give up but then a message comes up and tells me i unlocked another set of tracks.

So I guess it doesn't matter the rank, just that you get first place a number of times even though I don't see how I got rank E having gotten First place.

Hopefully I'll unlock character's soon.

is it comprehensible.....

Shadow x 20
I think the only reason you get rankings is that if you get all 1 star rankings on all stages you get a star by your name on Wi-Fi. Same for 2 stars and 3 stars.

powerfulone1987
I don't get numbers, I get letters.

Shadow x 20
No it goes from (lowest to highest)

You have to do the level at a center time and not get hit or stuff like that to determine your ranking.

powerfulone1987
oh, well, i doubt i'll ever see the starts.

the highest i've gotten is a B, what have you gotten?

Shadow x 20
*** on Moo Moo Farm N64 and Choco Mountain N64.
No **
A bunch of *

powerfulone1987
have you unlockec everything then?

Shadow x 20
Pretty much. Got Bones, R.O.B, Waluigi, and Daisy. Every character can get 36 karts now.

powerfulone1987
i didn't know they could each get that many, i thought maybe 3-5 karts a person.

It must be difficult to choose 1 out of 36 for one character to ride.

Shadow x 20
They have like 3 for each character and you can pick other people's karts.

powerfulone1987
well your statement above about 36 karts for each characters must have been a mistake then.

And what do you mean "pick other people's karts"? Don't you mean pick your own kart, and that goes without saying, b/c I own the game and I know you can pick which kart your player drives.

Shadow x 20
It means at first each character can chose 2 karts then you can unlock 3 karts for each then 7 and then 36. Once you get 36 (or 7) you'll notice that other racers have the same kart.

powerfulone1987
maybe i better just wait and find out for myself b/c now you're just flip fopping around what you say and keep going back and forth and i'm even more confused.

Red Superfly
I just unlocked R.O.B.

So far I've got at least every trophy with One Star Rating.

50cc = All ***

100cc = All ***

150cc = Half ** a couple with *** and a couple with *

150cc Mirror = Mostly ** and * but a couple of ***'s.

I know I can get three stars on everything, but when it gets to 150cc/150cc Mirror it starts to rely on pot luck a little bit more. Sometimes I feel like there's a conspiracy. Like how, for some reason, on the fourth track of a GP, if I'm in the lead on the third lap, the computer players all start to get a dubious amount of blue shells. They also seem to get them JUST as I'm approaching the finishing line too. It does get frustrating when you get hit and instantly drop 3 places despite the fact you were miles ahead for most of the race, but it does make you try and go even faster the next time.

Spartan005
that always happens online to me... sad

SaTsuJiN
so has anyone found any surefire way to evade a blue shell?

I've only found a few methods from gamefaqs..

Defending Against - If one if coming your way, there is little you can do but
bite the bullet. Dispose of your items just before as it'll
destroy them anyway. If you hear it coming and there are
other karts behind you, then you could try and drop back
and catch them in the blast radius as well, and if you
are really luckily, the shell could get them instead. You
can also avoid getting hit by using a Star or a Boo Ghost,
but otherwise as said most of the time you'll have to get
hit, so don't get too annoyed if this happens a fair
amount.

Shadow x 20
I doubt they made the blue shell able to be avoided. Anywho I've been playing those missions thingys on Mario Kart DS. It sure is fun fighting Big Bomb-omb again.

Spartan005
You can look at the left side of the screen to see if someone has a shell. If they do and they didn't fire it yet, then you can try dropping back to 2nd place if your not too much in the lead. smile

Shadow x 20
Yeah but sometimes doing that makes you fall futher back then just getting hit by the blue shell

Spartan005
I guess it depends on how close the race is

Shadow x 20
Plus you don't know when they will throw the blue shell. I remember pulling into 2 but I guess I was too late for the shell hit me and I fell into like 5 and lost badly.

Spartan005
Yeah that happened to me once

Shadow x 20
I'm playing Mario Kart DS on Wi-Fi at this moment

Spartan005
How many wins/losses do you have?

I think I'm at 52/53

Shadow x 20
14/14

Wolf Dog
I heard you can block a blue shell with a bomb but i haven't had any luck with it, i always miss.

Shadow x 20
I heard that. Tried it once. I got blasted by the blue shell and my bomb

Wolf Dog
laughing out loud Anyone else try it?

Shadow x 20
Does anyone else miss Wario Stadium for the N64? That jump where you can screw someone over where they'll fall off that jump and basically have to restart the race.

Spartan005
I loved the original Wario Stadium, but I actually think I like the new one a bit better smile

darth_royke
i thoght i was seven karts per person. thats wat i've unlocked. also on teh mirror mode, but havent done it yet... pheonix wright took my attention away.

Spartan005
yeah I think it's only 7 too b/c I did all the difficulties on the new races, and I still need to unlock 3 characters. I guess you unlock them from the older races

Shadow x 20
Did you do the old and new cups and get a gold trophey on all of them?

Spartan005
No, just the new ones. But I still have to unlock Warluigi, the robot, and the Princess, so I'm assuming you get them from the old races

HigH ScholaR
hey powerfulone1987, I NOW KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT ANNOYING QUOTE FROM, BLEACH EPISODE 39 said by ichigo's other side or whatever

powerfulone1987
No, never heard of it.

Anyway. I've being playing in the highest engine level b/c the other ones are just too slow. I don't understand why if you unlock levels in one engine class, they aren't unlocked in others. I know I don't want to have to unlock the same levels 3 times.

And also. In the lower engine classes it's way easier to get high ratings and stars as I found out. It's like even though you go much slower, they just go way slower, like it's not even or fair or something.

Red Superfly
Man, I just got screwed majorly.

GP - 150cc Mirror, I was on the Choco Mountain track from the N64 version.

I was winning the entire time. Last lap. I'm way ahead. Some clown fires a blue shell. I go as fast as I can because falling back wouldn't be worth it and even though me and 2nd place would get hit, 3rd or 4th place racers would likely fly past anyway. So I bite the bullet and get hit. I'm still in the lead. 2nd place catches up, fires a red shell. I'm over by the falling boulders, the red shell stops my kart under a falling boulder. I get hit AND knocked off the track. Four cars fly past and the only item I get is a mushroom. I finish 5th. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do when this sort of shit happens. You are beating the CPU senseless, then the CPU decides to make you it's b!tch and gives all the CPU players powerful items.

F**king conspiracy.

HigH ScholaR
****ing exactly

Refused
LMAO I hate that shit.

Shadow x 20
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Man, I just got screwed majorly.

GP - 150cc Mirror, I was on the Choco Mountain track from the N64 version.

I was winning the entire time. Last lap. I'm way ahead. Some clown fires a blue shell. I go as fast as I can because falling back wouldn't be worth it and even though me and 2nd place would get hit, 3rd or 4th place racers would likely fly past anyway. So I bite the bullet and get hit. I'm still in the lead. 2nd place catches up, fires a red shell. I'm over by the falling boulders, the red shell stops my kart under a falling boulder. I get hit AND knocked off the track. Four cars fly past and the only item I get is a mushroom. I finish 5th. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do when this sort of shit happens. You are beating the CPU senseless, then the CPU decides to make you it's b!tch and gives all the CPU players powerful items.

F**king conspiracy.

Happened to me once or twice. You are not alone

powerfulone1987
I thought it was just me, but i've noticed the cpu getting very useful items near the end of the race when you're in the lead.

Smasandian
It's typical Mario Kart fashion. It always happens.
It's like other racers on where the cars behind somehow start going alot faster.

It's suppose to keep the game intersting. It's annoying, but if your that person who fires the blue shell, you would love it.

But I do find it really annoying.

JToTheP
I wanna buy the Red DS bundle w/ this game, but mainly for the wireless online. Now, how will I know if my house has a wireless connection, we have Comcast Cable modem, but they say the wireless connection can come from anywhere, but if I can't confirm my house has a wireless connection I will not buy it at all. Help perhaps?

Lana
Hurray search function.....

Merged threads.

JToTheP
Sorry Lana.

I liked the demo of this so if the online works how I hope I will probably buy it.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by JToTheP
I wanna buy the Red DS bundle w/ this game, but mainly for the wireless online. Now, how will I know if my house has a wireless connection, we have Comcast Cable modem, but they say the wireless connection can come from anywhere, but if I can't confirm my house has a wireless connection I will not buy it at all. Help perhaps?

you need a wireless router... the router converts your hardline connection and transmits it to all WiFi devices in a given radius

visit www.nintendowifi.com for more information

Spartan005
EDIT

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
you need a wireless router... the router converts your hardline connection and transmits it to all WiFi devices in a given radius

visit www.nintendowifi.com for more information

yep, or if you get nintendo's USB connector thingy

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by JToTheP

You need a DSL/Broadband connection and either a wireless router or the Nintendo DS USB connector, only available online at the nintendo store, and then you're set.

JToTheP
I got it all set up, thank you. If anyone is online and wants to play let me know I will give you my friend code.

powerfulone1987
That was fast, did you already have the necessary equipment?

I don't have DSL at my home so when I go back to college for spring semester i'll start playing online and get my friend code.

JToTheP
I have a wireless router, but we have cable modem. So basically I used that to my advantage and just checked it downstairs, and here I am again upstairs playing it.

powerfulone1987
so you can play wi fi with cable? I didn't know that. Since it only says broadband/dsl i assumed that was all.

SaTsuJiN
broadband is all forms of internet connections that go over 300 kb/sec I think..

powerfulone1987
that's good to know.

But what kind of a connection would Direct tv be?

SaTsuJiN
I'm pretty sure direct TV is satellite feed.. which means if you get a cloudy day or a storm, ya best find something other to do than watch tv.. else you'll be enjoying some static for a good hour

powerfulone1987
no, i was referring what kind of internet connection would it be called through direct tv, it's called Earthlink. Would that be considered DSL or broadband also.

Pretty much if anybody has a bad enough thunderstorm their signal would go out wouldn't it.

And it's not necessarily gonna go out when clouds come out. Just if a real bad thunderstorm comes along it can go out, but it'll play through coulds and rain and average storms.

TwisterGameX
I almost picked the game up but the line was so longgggg. gametop is making me mad. ok is this game different than the consoles ?

powerfulone1987
From what I've heard it's back to the original gameplay which everybody loves and is a good thing. It's not like the gamecube version with 2 people to a car.

(please light up your light bulb)

TwisterGameX
From what I've heard it's back to the original gameplay which everybody loves and is a good thing. It's not like the gamecube version with 2 people to a car.

(please light up your light bulb)

ok. Also how can you play a car game without a joystick ?

powerfulone1987
Just like you play with an analog stick accept you use your whole hand. Why?

darth_royke
its like when you used to play a snes? u use a dpad. and it is more like the golden days of mario kart, which was the snes version. they've been downhill since.

TwisterGameX
Yeah but the d pad is so small on the ds....

powerfulone1987
Oh, i misread your question.
And wouldn't you mean Analog Stick?

Anyway, the D-Pad isn't any smaller than the ones that were on the Super Nintendo or the original nintendo.

(lightbulb)

Shadow x 20
That is true

SaTsuJiN
no, i was referring what kind of internet connection would it be called through direct tv, it's called Earthlink. Would that be considered DSL or broadband also.

Pretty much if anybody has a bad enough thunderstorm their signal would go out wouldn't it.

And it's not necessarily gonna go out when clouds come out. Just if a real bad thunderstorm comes along it can go out, but it'll play through coulds and rain and average storms.

earthlink comes in both DSL and 56k.. I dont think they offer cable..
they might offer ISDN though

Originally posted by TwisterGameX
I almost picked the game up but the line was so longgggg. gametop is making me mad. ok is this game different than the consoles ?

I think the gameplay took elements from MK 64 and double dash mostly

darth_royke
i say more of the snes version. mario kart hasnt been as fun since then

powerfulone1987
How old are those that played the Super Nintendo Version, b/c I had a super nintendo but I don't ever remember hearing anything about mario Kart for it.

Shadow x 20
I played Super Mario Kart for the SNES

HigH ScholaR
well yesterday (time is now 12.17 UK) i bought Mari kart, Sonic rush and Avance wars though i played mario kart before when i ought it and played it i kinda wanted to go back to gamestation(the store) i get my money back. i don't know why i have this feeling espiically as i was anticipating this game oh well maybe i got the play it more or play it when i'm ready, right now to busy with Advnace wars.

powerfulone1987
How is Advance Wars DS?

HigH ScholaR
REALLY GOOD.......................AND HARD, the game is going to take me ages to complete.

powerfulone1987
Well I know on the first ever advance wars for the gba, I got to what I think was the last battle and I tried at it and got no where, I didn't proceed onto the territory nor was my territory taken, just a standstill so I took a break and haven't picked it up sense. So i didn't get the next advance wars game and that's whats stopping me from getting this the DS one.

Okay. I just played Mario Kart DS online for the first time a while ago and I was schooled.
Yes, I know it's hard to believe. I guess it's b/c they unlocked some new vehicles and I have yet to do so. So yeah, I won't be attempting online play anymore for a very long while. My record is tainted forever.

HigH ScholaR
well you should, its not a great graphical step in next gen(handheld) buts its very enjoyable esopiically 2 player as long as they know what they are doing i can't even get past mission 8 or 9. nyway Sonic Rush is a top game aswell perhaps the best Sonic game i played the 3D visuals resemble sonic huffle visuals, i say that the sonic 3d games should adopt that way next time they do a 3d sonic.

Anyway just unlocked Daisy and skull guy or whatever oh and i'm getting b's mostly in 50 cc but not 150.

powerfulone1987
I'm gonna try and unlock som new vehicles before I attempt online again, if i can. I don't know what needs to be done to do it.

And what are you getting on 150 cc?

HigH ScholaR
D's and A's odd isn't it.

powerfulone1987
just a little.

SaTsuJiN
usually getting bad score means you should try new cars / drivers.. you may find something that suits your playstyle more.. which in turn will earn you higher rankings

powerfulone1987
well what does it take to unlock new vehicles and characters?

darth_royke
i find waluigi teh best person to use, in the jcb, kart or trike. hes a bit better than allround. mirror made causing me trouble.. argh!!!!!!!

SaTsuJiN
well what does it take to unlock new vehicles and characters?

is it comprehensible..... defeat each cup with A or better.. when you complete the last cup of each 'grand prix' . like the retro gp or the regular DS gp.. at the end youll recieve a message of what you've unlocked

powerfulone1987
If I complete each cup with a A or better and unlock some stuff in one engine class, will the characters and cars still be unlocked in other engine classes, b/c I don't see myself gettin gall A's and better in the higher engine classes.

SaTsuJiN
yeah you keep all the cars drivers you've unlocked so far..getting good grades just unlocks more

powerfulone1987
ok, that's good.

do you play online?

SaTsuJiN
Yeppers

powerfulone1987
how do you get it so you can play against specific people?

DarkC
This is an excellent game, tried it at my local Future Shop.

powerfulone1987
Why didn't you get it?

Smasandian
how do you get it so you can play against specific people?

Friend's code.
They'res an option to connect to a friends game.
If your buddy is online, it will pick it up.

powerfulone1987
yeah, I heard about the friends code, but where is it and where do you insert your "friends" code at?

ESB - 1138
Is it me or foes anyone else feel a little gay playing balloon battle in public when you have to blow into the mic?

powerfulone1987
I actually never find myself playing my DS in public. It's "not characteristic" of a Black Male for some reason. Plus I never have the opportunity in public. Just in my room, or dorm room or in the car.

SaTsuJiN
rofl.. well honestly its a more technological world than ever these days.. it'll get more public acceptance the more people do it... I just hope none of you get robbed DS'ing outside.. blink I ds if theres someone to ds with but I really have no reason to otherwise

JToTheP
I just see no reason to play the DS outside of my house at all. So powerfulone if you for some reason see no reason to play it outside your house that's cool, but to bring race into it is weird. stick out tongue

ESB - 1138
I play DS with my friend outside all the time.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. I did today in the emergency room.. me an my friend were multiplaying MKds while she waited for her name to be called.. needless to say we finished several circuits... /sigh..

and you'd think people would know that its polite and cleanly to cover their mouth before they do a nasty clammy cough.. sick

Smasandian
Hahahah yeah.

Red Superfly
I'd just like to comment on the fact that over the past week I managed to get ***'s on EVERYTHING.

But damn you Rainbow Road! For five GP's I would ace the first three races, then get to Rainbow Road, only to have my *** chances go up in smoke because the CPU got blue shell, after blue shell, after blue shell. I blow up, get hit, fall off the track, get going again, go round the loop, get hit with a red shell, fall off the loop. Rainbow Road is about 80% pure luck when it comes to getting ***'s. If you are lucky enough to not get gangbanged by the other races at the start, you can make your lead big enough that blue shells are not a problem. Drop a few places, and getting back in the lead is really hard due to the sheer chaos.

I also think if you out-maneuver a red shell it SHOULD NOT turn around and come back or curl to hit you. You should be rewarded for being skillful in these situations. Also I think Blue Shells should only be given to the last two places, should be avoidable if you go over a big jump, or at least have a bigger blast radius to catch 2nd and 3rd more easily.

Remember when you could be at top speed and see the blue shell right behind you, and only when slowing down would you get hit? It should be more like that because in the CPU races it can feel like you are really being cheated. The frequency of the CPU's blue shells when I'm in first place is also unbelievable. CPU in first place? I'd be lucky if anyone got a single blue shell. Me in first place? Then its two or three blue shells PER RACE.

SaTsuJiN
if they didnt get blue shell I dont think CPU would be able to prevent any human player from winning .. since human can easily win by half a lap or more when they understand how to play

Red Superfly
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
if they didnt get blue shell I dont think CPU would be able to prevent any human player from winning .. since human can easily win by half a lap or more when they understand how to play

True, but that just proves that the AI should be stepped up a notch, or at least an "Elite" class added for those that find 150cc/Mirror a breeze.

They shouldn't give the AI cheap probabilty like that just because the player is doing so well.

"Understanding how to play" doesn't mean you deserve to get battered by blue shell after blue shell for all your troubles. If you are that good, you deserve at least a fair fight, rather than having the AI take a dislike towards you.

Spartan005
I was just playing Mario Kart yesterday.... and the online is starting to suck! I played 5 games, and in every single game the person I was playing quit. mad And on the last game I played, we actually got through all 4 races, and I won..... but right before the screen comes up that says Victory, the stupid kid quit on me, and I never got the win. mad

swedish_bum
Ohhh that have to suck!!

Too bad you cant chat with each others

JLred
I dont have a router thing or whatever.....I play against friends at school....

Spartan005
I heard that in some upcoming games like Metroid Prime, you'll be able to talk to each other over Wi-Fi

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>