Ultimate-Guitar.coms best of 2005

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Best album of 2005:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/the_best_albums_of_2005.html

Best and Worse Bands of 2005:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/the_best_and_the_worst_bands_of_2005_-_fck_yeah.html

So what do you think of the selections?

Personally I think SOAD deserved #1 on both polls, they really had a fantastic year. I find it ironic that Green Day was worst band and also 2nd best.

Lana
Well, certainly can't argue with the worst bands list laughing out loud though I really don't think Green Day should have been the worst one. SOAD was very deserving of their spots, the top CDs were mostly shit, and the top bands list was okay.

Tptmanno1
So many better albums of this year....
I mean some moderate productions for some bands, as their overall albums went,
Deadwing and Octavium.
I really enjoy Octavium as much as some of the other Dream Theater Stuff, Mainly Awake, and Images and Words. But maybe that will come after some more listens
But it still was better than the majority of the Best CD's...
But with New Opeth, and Such, especially OCtane, by Spock's Beard, which I thought was amazing... ANd I forget if Levithian by Mastodon was a 2005, might have to do some research, but I enjoyed all of those, although I havent gotten a chance to listen to all of the new SOAD yet...

Lana
This was user-voted, you should know very well that it'd only be mainstream stuff stick out tongue

...and you still haven't listened to all of Hypnotize?! Go listen damnit!!!

Tptmanno1
heh..
I just got it for Christmas, I have had zero cash, and now I don't have a CD player, just the Ipod, so it has to wait till I get back home on the 1st...

Alpha Centauri
Mastodon was 2004, for the record.

System are topping a lot of the best polls in guitar magazines.

-AC

Tptmanno1
Alright AC. I was just going off my apparanly failed memory.

Bardock42
Just how the **** did Green Day make the first band of the worst bands and the second of the best bands? ...Dan there'S something wrong with that list.

Df02
screamo/post-hardcore/emo-metal band - Avenged sevenfold

wtf is that? that's not a genre, and i mix genre titles together all the time.
not only are they definately nothing to do with Screamo... they arent close to Post Hardcore or Emo either.

they have metal influences so i'll give you that, but they're Metalcore, and shit as well.

i stopped reading when i got that far... was a crap list anyway.

RedAlertv2
Their old stuff was screamo.

Alpha Centauri
They've never been screamo.

Screamo is just another pointless label. Nobody can justify it's use and I challenge anyone to do so.

"Is like emo, but more screaming." Then it's still emo isn't it?

-AC

RedAlertv2
Is screamo really a genre, or just a vocal style?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
Just how the **** did Green Day make the first band of the worst bands and the second of the best bands? ...Dan there'S something wrong with that list.

It happens a lot when there is hype present. One group swallows it; the other thinks they are rebellious for going against it.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Is screamo really a genre, or just a vocal style?

It's a genre, if you're insecure enough to wanna label things right down to sub-sub genres (aka it's not a genre).

People can make all the excuses in the world as to why it is it's own genre, but it's not different enough from the genre of which it is derived to be a sole genre. You can't create another genre label just because a group of bands have vocalists who sing a bit different. It's pointless.

Opeth, Metallica and Mastodon are all metal bands. It doesn't matter what kind of metal, nor do I care. They're metal though.

-AC

el_barto
I think it's funny what happened to Green Day. I dont think they deserved the worst band of the year, or the best, but it happens. I do agree they have been everywhere and I can see why people dislike them. Oh well.

fruits
i got a huge smile on my face when i saw green day number 1 on worst bands. i woudlnt say the worst band, but i agree i used to love them but then it just got annoying and now i dislike them. but SOAD deserves number 1, they've done a lot and they earned it

Alpha Centauri
Green Day aren't exactly slouches if we're talking about earning things.

-AC

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

People can make all the excuses in the world as to why it is it's own genre, but it's not different enough from the genre of which it is derived to be a sole genre. You can't create another genre label just because a group of bands have vocalists who sing a bit different. It's pointless.

If people did that, Every song by Mike Patton would have a different Genre!

Alpha Centauri
I wouldn't go that far, but I see where you're going.

-AC

Tptmanno1
I've got more stuff by him now, I picked up Mr. Bungle Self Titled...
Thats crazy, I love it. Its so random, although at points it starts to sound a bit like Oingo Boingo...

Alpha Centauri
It sounds absolutely nothing like Oingo Boingo.

It's not necessarily random, it's just irregular. Everything Patton does, he does for a reason.

-AC

Tptmanno1
It does sound Like Oingo Boingo. Carousel in peticular.
I didn't mean random in a bad way, Just the time changes, and style switching seems to come out of nowhere.

Darth Jello
After recently buying Bleed Like Me, i'm convinced that it should be #1 album.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
It does sound Like Oingo Boingo. Carousel in peticular.
I didn't mean random in a bad way, Just the time changes, and style switching seems to come out of nowhere.

No, it doesn't sound like Oingo Boingo by any long stretch. Then again you've not had much time with Bungle so you're still getting used to it.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.