Who Likes GodLike Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fishy 500
If it can work with Sentry/Surfer, why cant it work with Supes ? smile

Bardock42
Cause DC is not that way.

DC is cool cause people like Batman have a chance against Superman. And just ho stupid is ist that for some reasons all SUperman powered Supervillains go to Metropolis, all Green Lantern League villains to New York/Coast City and Batmans villains to Gotham? Now if there wasn*t such a gap (it never seemed to be that bad) it would be alright.

Fishy 500
Originally posted by Bardock42
Cause DC is not that way.

DC is cool cause people like Batman have a chance against Superman. And just ho stupid is ist that for some reasons all SUperman powered Supervillains go to Metropolis, all Green Lantern League villains to New York/Coast City and Batmans villains to Gotham? Now if there wasn*t such a gap (it never seemed to be that bad) it would be alright.

I agree the whole protecting a city thing (Except in the case of Batman) kind of sucks .... Supes and G.L. should be patrolling the whole world and Beyond .... If Supes is going to have cosmic level powers, his influence may have to extend beyond earth ! He has the speed and abilities to nearly be everywhere. smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy 500
I agree the whole protecting a city thing (Except in the case of Batman) kind of sucks .... Supes and G.L. should be patrolling the whole world and Beyond .... If Supes is going to have cosmic level powers, his influence may have to extend beyond earth ! He has the speed and abilities to nearly be everywhere. smile

Or he should be downsized.....

Mindship
As a kid, one of the reasons I found precrisis Superman B-O-R-I-N-G was because he was so GAB powerful. When I rediscovered Superman through the 1990s cartoons and saw how vastly depowered he was...
1) I was stunned. I did not wanna see Supes needing a breathing mask/spacesuit; or hear Luthor say maybe half-a-kiloton could hurt him. "Hey, that's not Superman!" Though as a character I found him boring, I did not wanna see the icon tarnished.
2) Suddenly, Superman became interesting. He could no longer do whatever the story needed him to do. He had limits, he could be hurt. I was hooked. I endured the tarnish.

If he's gonna be amped to cosmic levels, then indeed he needs cosmic adversaries to keep things interesting. But take care: too many over-the-top stories make it that much harder to inspire awe and amazement in story-telling. Humans get used to such things very quickly, and then where can ya go? Bigger isnt always better. Quantity should not be put in place of quality.

chris_64256
In my opinon hes already at that level he just chooses not to unleash his true power because through his will I believe there is no limit to him. HIs whole life hes has taught himself not to harm, hurt or kill to walk amongst us cause deep down he wants to be human, To me thats a great character someone who could destroy the world or dominate it but chooses to love and protect for the greater good.. Who treats all people equal even though hes godlike.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by chris_64256
In my opinon hes already at that level he just chooses not to unleash his true power because through his will I believe there is no limit to him. HIs whole life hes has taught himself not to harm, hurt or kill to walk amongst us cause deep down he wants to be human, To me thats a great character someone who could destroy the world or dominate it but chooses to love and protect for the greater good.. Who treats all people equal even though hes godlike.

Agreed

Arabian Knight
I don't mind uber characters. I DO mind pet characters who are treated like royalty by the writers. I would like Godlike Superman if it wasn't for the fact that it is the character called Superman.

Probably why I dig Sentry or Supreme.

roughrider
It's been said earlier - it's kind of frustrating for a being to have herald level power, yet hang out in just one Earth city, have a day job, because he was raised by simple folks and wants to identify so much with the human race he's not a part of?
I have found it interesting in various Supes stories of the past, when he stops being such a follower of authority and tries to take care of the world the way HE wants. That's someone coming to realize his power and destiny.
Someone like Thor has had similar identification problems with humans, but always remembers he's a God and can return to Asgard. What would Superman be like if he could return to Krypton when he wanted to, or some outpost of Kryptonians, where he remembers he comes from a more advanced line of beings?

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Fishy 500
If it can work with Sentry/Surfer, why cant it work with Supes ? smile
For me, Surfer being powerful sounds so much more logical. It's like the relation between Green Lanterns and the Guardians, who I also like more than Superman.

His powers are so bland now. And his origin sounds like something I'd make up in the 8th grade. The first thing people would ask me is "So there was an entire race of people who could physical fight angels? Isn't that a little overboard?"

He reminds me of seeing Hulk Hogan come back to wrestling this last time and seeing everyone crap their pants over a legdrop.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by roughrider
It's been said earlier - it's kind of frustrating for a being to have herald level power, yet hang out in just one Earth city, have a day job, because he was raised by simple folks and wants to identify so much with the human race he's not a part of?
I have found it interesting in various Supes stories of the past, when he stops being such a follower of authority and tries to take care of the world the way HE wants. That's someone coming to realize his power and destiny.
Someone like Thor has had similar identification problems with humans, but always remembers he's a God and can return to Asgard. What would Superman be like if he could return to Krypton when he wanted to, or some outpost of Kryptonians, where he remembers he comes from a more advanced line of beings?

That's what makes Superman so interesting, especially now. ALL his clones do exactly that... Supes always holds back and tries to do the right thing.

If Supes was going crazy and doing that kind of thing...there wouldnt be a need for any Supremes, Majestics, Sentry's..etc.

It's like Rap, a lot of the best rappers aren't the ones who show all the bling in the video, and flaunt what they might or might now have.

roughrider
If the day comes when DC does an Ultimate line of continuing comics - not Elseworlds - I would like to see Supes go into more "controlling" territory, like we saw at the end of DK2 and parts of Kingdom Come.

Sir Whirlysplat
If the day comes when DC does an Ultimate line of continuing comics - not Elseworlds - I would like to see Supes go into more "controlling" territory, like we saw at the end of DK2 and parts of Kingdom Come.

agreed. smile

Mindship
Originally posted by chris_64256

My sig could not agree more.
It's one of the things I always loved about the Silver Surfer. But what keeps the Surfer interesting on this power level is that he also has physical/combat, not just moral, challenges.

An interesting philosophical question. A godlike being wanting to identify as human therefore practices restraint. Yet when humans have acquired "godlike power" (eg, through military conquest), restraint is hardly practiced. Power corrupts. Is such "godlike restraint," then, being realistically human?

One might conclude that Superman and the Silver Surfer want to identify with what humans could be, the "next stage" of human evolution, where power won't corrupt, where power is used for the common good, honoring justice, honesty and compassion.

Man, did they pick the wrong planet... wink

DarkCrawler
Examples of enemies Superman should fight with, IMO:

Darkseid (the non-jobber one).
Mongul
Bizarro
Zod

Juntai
Why does everyone always pretend Superman's villains are weak? He's got some of the strongest around.
Mxyz.
Maxima.
Doomsday.
Queen of Fables.
Mongol.
Darkseid.
Occasionally Eradicator.

Juntai
If the day comes when DC does an Ultimate line of continuing comics - not Elseworlds - I would like to see Supes go into more "controlling" territory, like we saw at the end of DK2 and parts of Kingdom Come. You mean "All Star"? It's already being done, but there's only 1 issue out for Superman so far.

roughrider
Well - I suppose if you think about, watching someone Superman-like getting into more world-control ideas, that's what we have going with Hyperion and Supreme Power.

The Ion
Originally posted by Juntai
Why does everyone always pretend Superman's villains are weak? He's got some of the strongest around.
Mxyz.
Maxima.
Doomsday.
Queen of Fables.
Mongol.
Darkseid.
Occasionally Eradicator.
Chances are they don't read Supes comics. Then there's the idea that because Supes beat them, it's not because he got stronger, it's because they got weaker. Just look in the versus forum for proof of that. Supes deflects the Omega Beam so now Aunt May can aswell. laughing

Of course they disregard that technically Supes grows just a bit stronger everyday.

thesilverspider
by the end of this crisis we gonna start seeing supes at the top of his game even during the crisis maybe.

chris_64256
I agree completely silversspider starting in issue 5 when the two supes confront each other... cant wait..

Arabian Knight
Originally posted by Juntai
Mxyz.
Maxima.
Doomsday.
Queen of Fables.
Mongol.
Darkseid.
Occasionally Eradicator.
Not very impressive. Especially when he never really fights these alone. It's JLA. Or he just PIS's his way out of it.

Still, very unimpressive for a near top herald level being. All his rogues should be able to beat him one on one. But, obviously, they don't and can't.

If we were to name EVERY Superman villain, 70% are humans and meta humans.

Originally posted by The Ion
Chances are they don't read Supes comics. Then there's the idea that because Supes beat them, it's not because he got stronger, it's because they got weaker. Just look in the versus forum for proof of that. Supes deflects the Omega Beam so now Aunt May can aswell. laughing

Of course they disregard that technically Supes grows just a bit stronger everyday.
It's apparent he grows stronger, it's also apparent his foes grow weaker. Which, to me, is stupid.

Psycho Ninja
What ??

I like Supez, but not Godlike supez......

My fav Supez moments are when he gets "bloodlusted" all of a sudden !!!

Creshosk
A character is not defined by their powers. That's not who makes them who and what they are. The person defines the powers, how they are used, a characters character is what matters, that is why you hcan have a hundred clones that are not Superman. Superman who personifies the concept of meek.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.