Culture of Ignorance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
ok, i was browsing snopes.com and found this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

Claim: The Mississippi state legislature removed fractions and decimal points from the mathematics curriculum of public secondary schools.

Origins: First

Alabama tried to redefine the value of pi to 3. Then Kansas removed the requirement for teaching evolution in its public schools. We thought it couldn't get any worse, but then Mississippi came along and proved us wrong:

13 August 1999
Jackson, MS -- Bolstered by the state of Kansas' recent measure removing the requirement for the teaching of evolution in public schools, yesterday afternoon the Mississippi legislature passed a bill eliminating fractions and decimal points from the mathematics curriculum of all public secondary schools in the state.

"Despite the coincidental timing of the measure, this was no whim," asserted Mississippi state senator Cassius de Spain. "We'd had the issue under consideration for several months now."

The bill, which cleared the Mississippi Senate by a vote of "a lot" to "a little" (with "this many" senators abstaining) after some initial confusion over how many votes constitute a "majority," directs public secondary schools in Mississippi to emphasize whole number arithmetic in mathematics courses and orders the removal of questions involving non-integer mathematics from standardized state tests after 1999. The fate of percentages remains undetermined as educators attempt to work out an alternative scoring method for tests.

Judith Sutpen, chairperson of the Mississippi Senate Education committee, defended the legislature's action against charges that it was motivated by "controversial religious beliefs."

"This has absolutely nothing to do with religion," she told reporters at a press conference Friday morning. "We're simply seeking to make mathematics more accessible to schoolchildren by de-emphasizing the elements that so many of them find confusing. It makes no sense to try to train our students how to think logically, then present them with nonsensical concepts such as 'irrational' and 'imaginary' numbers."

Senate minority leader Cora Tull indicated that religion did play a part in the passage of the legislation, however, maintaining that "if cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church, it ought to be good enough for the children of the great state of Mississippi." She added that "'improper fractions' have no place in any respectable school system, public or private."

Freshman senator John Sartoris of Brookhaven elaborated on the reasons for his colleagues' support of the bill: "We're sick and tired of hearing about how everything in our culture, from art to entertainment to education, is aimed at the 'lowest common denominator' of society. We're took aggressive action to do something about it yesterday by eliminating that denominator."

School librarians expressed concern about whether they will be able to continue categorizing books according to the Dewey decimal system once the law goes into effect, but Jason Compson, chief librarian for the Greater Biloxi School District, opined that "anyone who couldn't beat that pinko Truman doesn't deserve a place of honor in our schools' libraries anyway."

Several senators indicated that an additional measure aimed at removing "irregular verbs" from English classes might be in the offing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know this is old news, but its new to me. i never would have thought that i would ever hear the line- "'improper fractions' have no place in any respectable school system, public or private."

and now they want to eliminate irregular verbs? remember how up in arms they were at the thought of 'ebonics' being taught in predominately black school systems? (a ridiculous idea as well, i know. just pointing out the hypocricy)

isnt it clear that steps are being taken blatantly to promote ignorance by our more 'special' states in the union? is it surprising that this same culture wants to replace science with religion, distort the english language (irregular verbs),
and declare fractions and decimals to be the devil?

i know feceman will come down on me for using the term "dumb rednecks"
but if the shoe fits....

discuss

Sir Whirlysplat
Doesn't suprise me at all in the UK standardised tests have had consistantly simpler questions to answer over the last 16 years, since the testing regime altered. A dumbed down world sadly.

Gregory
"Oh, well ... Mississippi"; that was my first response. My second response is that it didn't seem to be true, no matter what Snopes thinks: you can see Mississippi math curiculum online, and they still include fractions . My last response? I clicked on the link at the bottom of Snopes, which lead me to a page stating that the entire article was a lie designed to teach a lesson--namely, that you can't believe something just because you find it on a seemingly authoritative web-page.

So, um ... lesson learned?

Bushwacker
Originally posted by Gregory
"Oh, well ... Mississippi"; that was my first response. My second response is that it didn't seem to be true, no matter what Snopes thinks: you can see Mississippi math curiculum online, and they still include fractions . My last response? I clicked on the link at the bottom of Snopes, which lead me to a page stating that the entire article was a lie designed to teach a lesson--namely, that you can't believe something just because you find it on a seemingly authoritative web-page.

Can't believe everything you read.

overlord
"Alabama tried to redefine the value of pi to 3."

Priceless! eek!

hysterical2

Bardock42
WHAT THE **** ...Mathematics isn't something you change.....Math just IS. The only truth we have.....how can you ...that's just too painful....god. But wait..maybe I misunderstood, what exactly are secondary school? Is iut for kids between lets sa 1 and 1.5 (oh shit did I jsut break a law?). Now I can understand if you start out with Real Numbers in Elementary School and slowly raise the bar to calculus and such..but just banning ...how utterly stupid and strange.

Oh and Pi = 3 (best joke I ever heard) ....sorry to you sane americans but "Something is rotten in the states of America"

Removing Irregular Verbs: Right, since modern english isn't to simple anyways (now I know that english as a whole is a beautiful and complex language, but the more...:"special" people can get along with around three verbs and a few nouns)

PVS

link clicked, fact learned....lesson lost

i must let out a big "WTF". i mean, it IS a factchecker site.
so i guess the lesson is "we at snopes, after all the time and hard work we put into fact checking, have decided to throw in some false facts to prove to you that you shouldnt believe what you read on a fact checking site...which pretty much renders all our work useless and this site benign by that very philosophy...wait a minute...why the hell are we paying for this domain then? ATTENTION: snopes.com will be shutting down indefinately. have a nice life"

...right?

GCG
Originally posted by Bardock42

Oh and Pi = 3 (best joke I ever heard) ....sorry to you sane americans but "Something is rotten in the states of America"

Its not only the Americans ; that pi = 3 derives from the bible.

Ushgarak
Yup, someone got burned by Snopes' joke section! That area was quite famous for a little while, actually.

But it is an interesting experiment in the acceptance of authority- that people will believe the patently ridiculous because a site like Snopes says so.

Perhaps the best lesson here is that Snopes always produces its sources- always worth a surface check of them before posting anything as fact.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yup, someone got burned by Snopes' joke section! That area was quite famous for a little while, actually.

But it is an interesting experiment in the acceptance of authority- that people will believe the patently ridiculous because a site like Snopes says so.

after the addition of 'intelligent design' to the science curriculum in kansas,and the attempted addition of 'ebonics' to inner city school curiculums, tell me please...what counts as 'patently ridiculous'? where you see a brick wall i see a hair thin line...and a blurry one at that.

Ushgarak
Sorry, I can't see a serious relation between the huge debate about Intelligent Design, and actually re-adjusting the value of pi.

I also added a thing about source checking above.

Victor Von Doom
Ah come on man. It's clear it's ropey as soon as you read it.

There's no verisimilitude at all.

MC Mike
Just for everyone else, if you still don't get it, click here: http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

PVS
well, thats where we disagree completely ush.
i see the merging of science and religion, as well
as the factual attempt to bastardise the english language
as equally ridiculous...

but anyway, its clear that there is no purpose for this thread.
could you please close it?

PVS
gee thanks ush messed

Ushgarak
I dunno, there might be intrinsic value to this one.

Besides, they never closed the thread when I made a *** of myself believing Raz's April Fool's joke years ago.

PVS
well, i have no problem being a public ass,
but i do have a problem with contributing to the spread of misinformation.
if you want you can close this one and ill open another thread
titled "LOOK AT ME!!! IM AN ASS!!!! THATS ME!!! PVS THE ASS!!!!" stick out tongue

Capt_Fantastic
In a related story, Georgia has outlawed the number 7. Lawyers for Sesame Street are filing suit in the state supreme court.

GCG
Originally posted by PVS
well, i have no problem being a public ass,
but i do have a problem with contributing to the spread of misinformation.
if you want you can close this one and ill open another thread
titled "LOOK AT ME!!! IM AN ASS!!!! THATS ME!!! PVS THE ASS!!!!" stick out tongue

nah ; nothing wrong with this title. stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Ah come on man. It's clear it's ropey as soon as you read it.

There's no verisimilitude at all.

Well, I totally fell for it....either shows that I am really stupid or that I don't trust the american states as far as I can spit a rat......I prefer to hope for the second.

Sir Whirlysplat
Well, I totally fell for it....either shows that I am really stupid or that I don't trust the american states as far as I can spit a rat......I prefer to hope for the second.

Same here Bardock, I also fell for it.

Victor Von Doom

It's written in the wrong tone; there's too much sarcasm.

Read the librarian's quote, and if the alarm bells aren't resonating wildly then I'd worry.

As for the 'irregular verbs' overkill, let's not go there.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It's written in the wrong tone; there's too much sarcasm.

Read the librarian's quote, and if the alarm bells aren't resonating wildly then I'd worry.

As for the 'irregular verbs' overkill, let's not go there.

Well but to be all honest the inclusion of Creationism in Science Textbooks just sounds as crazy as what was said ther.... I guess it was just to stupid to be taken seriously...but the fact of the matter is that not only I but others to thought this might be a possible actiuon by United States Officals.

Gregory
At the beginning of the story, they complain about Alabama changing the value of pi; if you follow the link, you'll come to the Snopes page in which they say that never happened. So that would be a major alarm bell right there. They also mention "Senator Cassius de Spain"--Cassius de Spain is a character from Faulkner's Snopes novels, and Judith Sutpen, Cora Tull, John Sartoris, and Jason Compson are also characters from Faulkner novels (and you probably thought that those lit classes would never come in helpful!)

Honestly, once they start talking about "the lowest common denominator" and how cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church ... you people must really have low expectations of us Americans if you thought this sounded real.

Bardock42
Honestly, once they start talking about "the lowest common denominator" and how cardinality is good enough for the Catholic church ... you people must really have low expectations of us Americans if you thought this sounded real.

Well I guess it was my fault since I didn't actually research it nor read it very closely....but well...I actually thought (judging by the american high school system..meaning Algebra II might be the hardest form of math some will ever experience) it might be a possibility...I feel embarassed now.....twice in one week....KMC makes me sad.

PVS
you people must really have low expectations of us Americans if you thought this sounded real.

i am american, and yes....very low expectations. i've given my reasons

Darth Jello
I've heard a lot of communities wanted to dumb down math, science, and philosophy specifically so their children wouldn't learn that there are no absolutes. there have also been attempted bans on the greek alphabet, since it "promotes homosexuality". and a push to get africa and germany off the map because they don't represent "christian values".

Bardock42
Why Germany? ....Oh...yeah...that thing......I remember.

Darth Jello
the thing everyone's forgetting is that american idiots are still really no match for the eastern european and russian equivilants of the "redneck". I mean, at least american rednecks don't chase Jews, Albanians, Romani and Turks out of their villages for practicing witchcraft or rub their doorframes with garlic to ward off vampires. Not to mention Terpetation.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Darth Jello
the thing everyone's forgetting is that american idiots are still really no match for the eastern european and russian equivilants of the "redneck". I mean, at least american rednecks don't chase Jews, Albanians, Romani and Turks out of their villages for practicing witchcraft or rub their doorframes with garlic to ward off vampires. Not to mention Terpetation.

As true as that may be, rednecks from eastern european countries and russia do not have the educational facilities and opportunities as those in North america. Ignorance in may countries is a result of poverty or lack of opportunity, ignorance in north america is often a choice.

PVS
Originally posted by KharmaDog
ignorance in north america is often a choice.

indeed. a truth all to evident, even on this very forum.

FeceMan
On the use of the phrase 'dumb rednecks':

Catering to the LCD is a common practice today. Simply because one is from the South and does so does not make one a redneck. However, were this true, it would be a sad day indeed. I would not classify them as rednecks, though--I would just classify them as dumbasses (wait for the "same difference lolz" post...) and shake my head sadly. Then I would suggest recruiting the Japanese as calculators for our society.

(Happy, PVS? wink)

That did it for me right there.

PVS
Originally posted by FeceMan
I would not classify them as rednecks, though--I would just classify them as dumbasses

ZOMFG LOLZ!!!!! SAME DIFFERENCE!!!1111ONEONE

stick out tongue

botankus
For the sake of our country's weight problems, I'm glad we have fractions. Otherwise, quarter-pounders would be replaced by full-pound burgers.

crazy_c
Originally posted by botankus
For the sake of our country's weight problems, I'm glad we have fractions. Otherwise, quarter-pounders would be replaced by full-pound burgers.

hehe laughing

Eek i'm glad you posted this.. i read it ages ago (I'm quite addicted to snopes...) and I believed it because of my laziness to read the fine print! woopsy daisy. whistle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.