41 percent of all reported rapes were later determined by police to be false

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
Tucker Carlson and False Rape Accusations

By Brian Carnell

Sunday, July 27, 2003

CNN's Tucker Carlson recently wrote a book, Politicians, Partisans and Parasites, which includes an account of Carlson being falsely accused of raping a woman. Carlson's reaction to the false accusation is illustrative of how even a patently false accusation can potentially ruin a man's life, especially thanks to the nonsense touted by advocates that such false accusations are so rare as to be negligible.

Tucker writes about learning of the accusation,

For an hour I sat on the front steps thinking about my life, my wife and my three children, my job, and how it was all going to end because of something terrible I didn't even remember doing.
In the end, Carlson spent thousands of dollars defending himself against the accusation. Fortunately for him it turned out that the woman who had accused him was not only had a chronic mental disorder, but she accused Carlson of raping her in a city that Carlson had never even visited.

The sad part is that Carlson not only felt he couldn't talk about the accusation, but also did not take legal action against the woman's lawyer because of the effect that even word of a false accusation might have on his career. As Carlson admits,

I always assumed, like every other journalist does, that all sex scandals are rooted in truth, period. You may not have done precisely what you're accused of, but you did something.
Carlson is quite correct that this is the stigma attached to even false rape accusations. Another conservative journalist, John Fund, has seen his career derailed after also being falsely accused of assault by a mentally unstable woman.

Unlike Carlson, Fund was unable to keep the accusation from hitting the press, and his career has suffered notably from it.

An important, and still unresolved, question is just how common are false accusations of rape. On the one hand are the radical feminists who repeat the claim that making a rape accusation is so serious that women rarely lie about it. They typically use Susan Brownmiller's claim that only two percent of reported rapes are false, although they rarely point out that there is a paucity of evidence to back up this claim.

In a column about the Kobe Bryant case, Wendy McElroy pointed to a study by a Purdue researcher who examined reported rapes at a Midwestern city from 1978 to 1987 and found that fully 41 percent of all reported rapes were later determined by police to be false accusations.

So was this the caase then? Is it the case no? are half the Rapes reported made up?

overlord
Yeah, I have known some psycho bitches like that, luckily they most often crack. But then you still have America, don't you.. Everything is bigger there. Still.. 41% is a bit hard too believe.

Those american lawyers are apperantly like magicians.

General Envy
You just love to read about rapes huh?

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by General Envy
You just love to read about rapes huh?

It seems to extend the issues from the other thread.

PVS
shouldnt this be a post in the "oops i was raped" thread? seems redundant

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
shouldnt this be a post in the "oops i was raped" thread? seems redundant

Nope imo - I think this is asking a different set of questions. Its asking about how much "Victims" lie, rather than the motivation for the lie from some women. Or is it Advocates are just that good? Or are the police worried about prosecuting in some circumstances.

§noopbert
Why doesn't this surprise me?

KharmaDog
The 41% stat seems a bit excessive. The fact that this was written and researched by Tucker Carlson leads me to believe that it's total bullsh*t.

Sir Whirlysplat
New Zealand Police believe 64% of reported rapes are false

http://www.anandaanswers.com/pages/naaStats.html

amity75
Originally posted by PVS
"oops i was raped" Still the greatest thread title to appear anywhere in KMC.

overlord
Isn't it fun that they believe that when they don't include about how many rapes get unreported?

At least it adds to women being questioned when they finally pick up the strength to do so.

Feed the fear!

Imperial_Samura
The question though, and like they say the devils in the fine print, is what constitutes false?

A simple question it would seem, but are they false because they were in fact a lie, or are they false in the sense that police were unable to make the charges stick? Now these two are quite different, and it does happen, the fact police can't always find enough evidence, or whatever, doesn't necissarily mean it's false.

Because I would imagine, and I might be wrong, but that percentage would also have to include both down and out false accusations, as well cases where there simply wasn't any way for the police to prove it true, or to press charges. Because that latter group I know makes up a huge percentage of rape allegations that don't go anywhere, and if it isn't included in the 41% here, then that would mean a remarkably small percentage are actually ever proven, or go further.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
The question though, and like they say the devils in the fine print, is what constitutes false?

A simple question it would seem, but are they false because they were in fact a lie, or are they false in the sense that police were unable to make the charges stick? Now these two are quite different, and it does happen, the fact police can't always find enough evidence, or whatever, doesn't necissarily mean it's false.

Because I would imagine, and I might be wrong, but that percentage would also have to include both down and out false accusations, as well cases where there simply wasn't any way for the police to prove it true, or to press charges. Because that latter group I know makes up a huge percentage of rape allegations that don't go anywhere, and if it isn't included in the 41% here, then that would mean a remarkably small percentage are actually ever proven, or go further.

This is interesting and quite well researched from the UK on just that

http://www.angryharry.com/esRapeBaloney.htm

Ushgarak
What's the point of any research if you are going to base your conclusions on a completely arbitrary set of variables you have made up yourself? The article is totally useless.

This thread is littered with such vagueries. "New Zealand police say." What, all of them? Which New Zealand police officers? In which circumstances? Based on what? Over what period? In all places?

False accusations according to whom, and by what definition of false? Is it the only such study conducted? Is it reliable? Is it contradicted?

This is all film-flam and opinion; none of it is solid.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ushgarak
What's the point of any research if you are going to base your conclusions on a completely arbitrary set of variables you have made up yourself? The article is totally useless.

This thread is littered with such vagueries. "New Zealand police say." What, all of them? Which New Zealand police officers? In which circumstances? Based on what?

False accusations according to whom, and by what definition of false?

This is all film-flam and opinion; none of it is solid.

shifty it is Ush?

Hit_and_Miss
While I agree with the point of the thread, I got to say you have picked some very biased sources whirly!

That last one.. LOL angry harry! what a sexist! while he might have a point, its covered with soo much sexism the truth is hindered with lies and tales...

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
While I agree with the point of the thread, I got to say you have picked some very biased sources whirly!

That last one.. LOL angry harry! what a sexist! while he might have a point, its covered with soo much sexism the truth is hindered with lies and tales...

Yes I thought "Angry Harry" might be going a bit far

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. He likes the word balony and bogus.... after reading it I tend to think that word applies to him as well. And I know plenty of researchers who would be saddened muchly by his view of them. Well actually, they wouldn't be, they probably laugh and call him a fool.

Because that's what he seems like - a lot of inaccuracies, a lot of shoe horning data into his theories - and the downright conviction that most rapes claims made to police are false which equals bias, has he been accused in the past or something? Yes, a bit bodge I fear.

Sir Whirlysplat
Hmmm. He likes the word balony and bogus.... after reading it I tend to think that word applies to him as well. And I know plenty of researchers who would be saddened muchly by his view of them. Well actually, they wouldn't be, they probably laugh and call him a fool.

Because that's what he seems like - a lot of inaccuracies, a lot of shoe horning data into his theories - and the downright conviction that most rapes claims made to police are false which equals bias, has he been accused in the past or something? Yes, a bit bodge I fear.

I thought perhaps thats where his anger might have come from as well

Imperial_Samura
If so I wonder if the accusation was false? It wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Hit_and_Miss
His views tend to be supported by circumstance... not really a long range thinker...

Imperial_Samura
You mean he thinkis at all? Hot damn, I'll have to reconsider my poor view of Angry Harry.

Hit_and_Miss
have you ever read maddox??? Hes a much better verson of angry harry...

Imperial_Samura
Ah yes, MADDOX, greatest man in the universe, or whatever he calls himself these days. It's been forever since I had a look there. Still, the two are kind of different. Maddox can be funny and doesn't take himself too seriously and doesn't butcher statistics like this angry Harry does.

Hit_and_Miss
maddox's t-shirts crack me up!!!! I would love to get a few!!!

Imperial_Samura
Yeah. I also can't wait for his book to come out. Can't imagine what that'll be like, still should be good.

Hit_and_Miss
I got a bad feeling it might be tooo random... His best stuff only strays a little from the truth... where as his worst tends to be him killing his neighbours cause they said hello...

Imperial_Samura
True, true. His main strength is blunt satire, some of his pointless rants are just a bit to pointless.

Sir Whirlysplat
True, true. His main strength is blunt satire, some of his pointless rants are just a bit to pointless.

but that's why they're funny smile

DarkCrawler
These crack me up everytime, though:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=dare_devil
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/immigrant.gif

Hit_and_Miss
mines...
http://theworstpageintheuniverse.com/images/parent_web1.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.