Michael Bay The Auteur

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bad Boy
For film studies, I have chosen Michael Bay to study as an auteur. Now I know a lot of you don't like him as a director, but there simply is no denying that he is an auteur when it comes to the visual, audio, cinematography etc. style of his films.

In terms of this, what do you guys think of him. Please be mature though, cos I know a lot of you don't like him.

BackFire349
he's nothing special.

mah
well you pretty much know that nearly all people'll talk negative about him, except thomas h and the odd other bay-fan.

BackFire349
is that a soccer celebration you have for your pic bad boy?

Bad Boy
Yeah its when Barry Town when the Welsh Cup.

Like I said, I know a lot of you don't like him, but again when it does come to the visual style, he is something special because its so unique.

You may not agree with some of his ideas (fair enough), or like his films, but he has some of the most beautiful cinematography sometimes.

BackFire349
special effects mean nothing. and thats all micheal bay is. and soccer is an awful "sport" too.

mah
what the...! you come here and insult the worlds biggest sport, the real football? and dare to put sport in " "?

BackFire349
yeah, its quite a boring game, its like they combined hockey and football and pussified the result. those players get hurt so easily, its so funny.

finti
at least they dont need any paddings for protection roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire349
they have shin pads, and soccer is a no contact sport so of course they dont where pads.

Bad Boy
Although he has a lot of special effects, he still has to choose the camera angle, content etc. Thats a pretty poor statement. Besides, Bad Boys had no CGI effects. Instead it had a unique use lenses and filters with never seen before music-video style cinematography. Theres no point in saying he's worth nothing, cos thats just not helping.

Hey, football is the greatest sport ever! If someone smacks you in the shin, its obviously gonna hurt.

BARRY TOWN TO WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2002-2003!

BackFire349
not to the point of leaving a game because of it. little pansies, with their little shorts and little shin pads to protect their little legs. and not the mention the damn sport is so boring, the games like 90 minutes and theres like 5 shots on goal in a whole game for both teams combined, its really sad, they cant aim on such a huge goal, and hockey is the best sport ever created. its everything soccer is and much much more.

BackFire349
we'll see how talented he is when he totally screws up with his remake of the horror classic texas chainsaw massacre, see how he does when he's trying to improve on a movie far better then anything he's ever made in the past. now if you want to see a movie with a unique camera lens and angle, thats the movie to watch. puts everything micheal gay has ever done to shame.

finti
try be a goalie then and see if you are able to avoid contact .

What has Michael Bay done so far?

BackFire349
what about goalies? they useless, they could replace them with a stick in the middle of the goal and no one would know the difference, they only stop the shots that come at them. yeah every now and then they lightly touch another player, nothing major though. i still stand by my statement that soccer is for pansies with an incredibly low thresh-hold of pain.

mah
un-educated fool

finti
and about Michael Bay???????????

Bad Boy
He did Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor.

Yes, TCSM did have a good use of lenses, but Bay has taken it one step further, employing the music video style techniques.

I know you may hate his films but please open your mind, stop being snobbish and look at his good features. And stop being homophobic.

I know how Finti must have felt when trying to get a word in in the homophobia thread!

finti
hmm at least two good movies

Texas
After hearing the Bible story of Job:

"Kyle- I knew it, Job has his family killed and Michael Bay keeps making movies, there is no god"- Southpark rolling on floor laughing

finti
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Thomas H
The best Bay film is The Rock.......anyway, backfire 561415614861, why do you even bother to discuss this?

BackFire349
cuz the guy wanted to know what everyone thought of micheal bay.

Thomas H
back in Norway, we only need to say things once to be heard..and you have only said the same bullshith on every post you have posted................

Bad Boy
Well done Tom! Keep that Norweigen spirit going!

BackFire349
what exactly are you reffering too, my insults on soccer or my exploitation on micheal bays lack of talent?

Texas
Oh guys, dont be so hard on Backfire50000, he likes Michael Bay, he has his photo in his sig for god's sake!!!! big grin rolling on floor laughing big grin

BackFire349
haha

Bad Boy
I accept thats funny!

He has more talent than u think!

BackFire349
bay wishes he looked this good.

Bad Boy
Probably!

But have u seen his g/f?

BASTARD!!!!

BackFire349
lots of those untalented movie stars have good looking spouces.

Bad Boy
yeah, but hes not untalented. he a genius of the visual style!

BackFire349
so is my ass, but you dont hear me bragging about it.

Bad Boy
well i wouldnt wanna see the visual style of ur ass!

BackFire349
why, its no worse then micheal bays roll eyes (sarcastic)

Texas
Here is a typical Micahel Bay movie as dramatized via smilies:

http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/drowned/transam-red.gif http://216.40.201.38/contrib/blackeye/2gunsfiring_v1.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/love/kotc.gif http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/blackeye/AR15firing.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/funny/smileysex5.gif http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/sarge/BoomSmilie_anim.gif THE END

BackFire349
lol, oh man thats funny. laughing out loud

Zed
Children, Children calm down.

There are many points that have not been looked at, firstly Michael Bay is a director and not a scribe.

Michael Bays role is to direct the movie, he might sacrifice story over action now and then. But you would have to admit that the movies he's made are'nt really sh*t, there just not so good.

And football isnt really just about brute force its about skill, teamplay, control, athleticism...

BackFire349
its about passing the ball and never shooting and watching the players hurt themselves. cool

Thomas H
finaly, someont with some comon sence.....

Thomas H
when you got several og millions on the bank you dont need to look good...you get what you want anyway!

Bad Boy
Yep! I wish I was rich! I might be one day!

Hey Tom, I heard sumthing about a BHD Criterion Edition.

Thomas H
nothing yet, but I keep on looking...smile

ParanoidAndroid
I can't pass up a chance to vocalize my hate of Bay. He's a hack. He makes commercials. His directs as though he has Attention Deficit Disorder. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. Pearl Harbor was trash! Sorry, I really hate him. Good luck on your film studies, though!

Bad Boy
Whats wrong with directing commercials. Thats a line of work I would like to do.

BackFire349
they're commercials.

Bad Boy
Way hey! Another reply from Backfire lacking any intellect!

Corran
You seem surprised.

Thomas H
go bay go bay------...... smile
Most talended diector alive!

BackFire349
false

Bad Boy
Well I don't agree with that actually.

He's by far the most talented action director alive but I would like him to get his teeth into something really serious like 'A Beautiful Mind'.

Tex
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

Bad Boy
wot?

BackFire349
i think he's laughing at the fact that you said he's the most talented director alive, i mean, no offense, but that statement is pretty laughable.

mah
if he'd tried something like A Beautiful Mind most people would laugh..or cry

Tex
Yup, hence my smilies.
Laughing and crying

BackFire349
i dont think he has what it takes to make a movie without the 100 million dollar special effects.

Bad Boy
As I've said before, it's not a bad thing if films have special effects. The director still has to direct the lighting, angle, action, compostion, mise-en-scene etc. Besides, how do you expect any director to direct the films he's done without any CGI effects? Hmmmmm, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor with no CGI? That would be successful!!!

At the end of the day, you are just putting your dislike over his films before criticising what is ACTUALLY wrong with his directing. Instead your just typing silly comments.

He is NOT the greatest director alive!!! Directors like M. Night Shyalaman and Christopher Nolan are better. But saying that, could they direct something as exciting as The Rock? It can't be said because they have never done something like that, so you can't judge. But Bay hasn't done anything in their style either, so you can't judge that! Give him a chance!!!

Let me try and answers some of your statements:-

1) "He's a hack". Well in what way? Be specific instead of typing crap comments.

2) "His films are just full of explosions". THATS BECAUSE THEY ARE ACTION FILMS YOU BUMDONGS!!!

mah
that would be fine if they actually had SOMETHING ELSE than explosions...and those sappy romance parts

BackFire349
yes, ill give hime credit when he makes a drama that can be powerful or intense without all the explosions

Tex
I think PHarbor was suppose to be his drama

BackFire349
well he failed if that was the case. it was still half explosions and half lousy dialogue

Thomas H
the explosions in ph was GREAT!...some could also have been better...if he had used less gazolin and more dynamite, thats makes the explosions look much more reel!

Bad Boy
Can we just close this thread now?

All I wanted was some suggestions on how Bay is an auteur (like it or not, the fact is that he is). Instead all I have got are comments saying his films are crap.

Oh well, I least I won't run off crying like Sabrea!

BackFire349
not a fact, you're opinion.

Tex
Then this thread would have only had 1 reply. wink

Bad Boy
Ummm actually it is a fact because otherwise I wouldnt have been allowed to do the assignment if he wasnt an autuer.

Anyway, its all done now and I got 88/90 for it!!!

WooHoo!!!!

Thomas H
I just read that Marlyn Manson is going to make the music to The Texa chainsaw masacre,,,,well that makes the movie even more horrible!!!!

Bad Boy
Bugger that!!! That new director has made some weird choises!!

Anyway, I don't like the original so I don't particularly care about it.

2.35:1
I've seen most of his films. He's making a living behind the camera because he has that MTV touch (which is how he broke into the business--by directing music videos). If I had to choose between someone like James Cameron and Michael Bay for talent and ability as a storyteller, I'd certainly go with Cameron.

You've applied the term 'auteur' to Michael Bay, and realistically I believe it better describes Cameron. They both have a problem with romantic subplots, though, but Cameron knows how to make up for it by adding a certain honest dimension to characters that works. I'm not sure if Bay even writes scripts. Perhaps. With Cameron you have "Aliens". When I see films like "Con Air" and "Armageddon", the characters are the same rehashed "Aliens"-motley group of smart-alecks of every size shape and color. A simple-minded approach to "diverse characters". Booorrring.

Bay set out to make "Pearl Harbor" in the same style as "Titanic". He craved the same multi-level success that "Titanic" achieved, including the industry respect that Cameron attained as a result. Hollywood, in it's characteristic sadistic-style, wanted Cameron and the film to flop. Instead, they ended up giving him two Academy Awards, and they hated doing it. Kind of sweet, when you think about it.

As far as the human elements of "Titanic" and "Pearl Harbor" go, I thought both films were as pretentious as a cheap soap opera. But "Titanic" has heart where "Pearl Harbor" seems to be on life support.

I know crew who have worked for both men and the overwhelming opinion is that they are both, well, jerks. Of Cameron, one guy said to me, "he knows his job AND he knows YOUR job, so you better know your job, too, or your in for it." Of course, that doesn't make him a jerk, but micromanaging has some obvious negative effects. One Bay story I heard involved "The Rock", where Connery got fed up and said to him, "Michael, you can be an a**hole to everyone else around here, but you can't be an a**hole to me because I'll walk." Supposedly, the crew loved it.

So back to Bay as a filmmaker. He's the captain of a very big, state-of-the-art, aircraft carrier. Put him in a canoe, and we'll see how good he can stay afloat.

If you're writing a paper about a modern filmmaking auteur, Cameron would be an authentic subject.

-Joe

BackFire349
cameron is better yes. neither are all THAT great though. there are better directors out there for sure.

Thomas H
cameron is superb!

Bad Boy
Yeh, Cameron is great!

Thanks 2:35.1 for making a thoughtful reply. I didn't agree with most of the stuff but I respect your opinions. But thanks again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.