Conversion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
I know many good christians for sure, but the same topic that keeps coming up over and over again is conversion of others. For instance I just came back from a New Years party when I heard people talk about non christians were they work, and the words that kept coming up is, ok now we have to pray and work and get them converted, my god here our prayer in this....I sat back and cringed....Could I really have been part of this at one time, when I was a christian? It's part and wholly part of the christian life. Without this, the christian denominations would certainly fall wouldn't it?

Atlantis001
What ? Without converting people ?

debbiejo
It's a Major teaching, I swear to god...No matter how subtle it's put...Modern crusades.

Atlantis001

debbiejo
This conversion thing never ends. From what I've seen it becomes more a badgering thing, though they do it in the name of love...They don't want to see anyone go to hell. But every church I've been to..IT'S TAUGHT to go out into the communities in one way or another to bring them to the truth. And to think all the different denominations are doing it...and they all teach something a bit different and look down on the other denominations. No wonder people get confused.....See, I don't think a god or sorts would even care what you would believe. It is what it is...Don't need any conversion for acceptance or what ever....Stupid Paul...

Its vacation bible school, bible studies, home groups, plays, wittnessing tools, passing out booklets, movies, teen groups, adult groups....Never ending supply of ideas..

Atlantis001
Yeah, I understand. When we sincerely want to understand something, we know that agressiveness, political, social acceptance.. popularity, marketing are not means to judge the truth. But people always want to stay fashion... to do what everyone else does, so everyone end up by accepting the current spiritual trends. Spirituality is not something to show on stage.

Spirituality is hard work, it takes time, attention, dedication.... not something to talk with our friends when they start to talk about religion.

debbiejo
Definitely not religion for sure...It differs all so much. Spirituality is so unique but still so old, but displaced with the rules of religion. It stifles the natural force of all there is and dispels it as evil for the sake of religious belief, which calls it so...evil that is...Yet older, natural, and many understood it as just that...So natural that people have lost site of it and ignore it, and then weep trying to please the god.

Imperial_Samura
Actually that's kind of right. I know some of the Christian groups at my university, and in they have aims and the like - pray, read, interact with other Christians, and spread the word to people who aren't Christian - in short they see evangelism as one of the pillars of Christian faith, that a good Christian will do those four things listed above.

They say it comes from the bible, these four aspects which are vital to a good, healthy Christian life. Personally I think it's a bit questionable, people should make their own choices, forcing your religion down the throat of another is wrong in my books (one of the groups is part of a larger thing known as "The Campus Crusade" - they have goals like a bible for every student, and recently they started sending DVD's about creationism to schools in the hope it would be shown in opposition to evolution, or at least given equal time)

AOR
Doesn't work like that with me. If you want to convert than I let you, if not I'll still treat you like a human being, and get this with dignity. I get pretty mad when I see people trying to convert people. One time I saved a Jew from Jehovah's Witnesses. Today he's still a Jew, but he's a good friend of mine.

debbiejo
Well good. big grin A person should lead by example in my book...If people like what you have going for you, they'll ask.

Atlantis001

debbiejo
It's the inclusion for likenesses (is that a word?) But people feel they need to be like everyone to meld, to blend, to feel a part of, If on the out bouts of knowledge of cause they would be out casted just as they always were in history...It's incredible how those with inner truths were always ousted and persecuted....In my view from what I've read, Spirituality is so much older and so full of truths, and it didn't matter what belief you were from, because this truth was the same. They might of had different names for things, but yet knew the truths of what it was, unlike religions which castrated the spiritual belief and instilled obedience to doctrine.

Storm
Conversion efforts can be accompanied with a lack of respect for other' s beliefs, leading to harassment.
Believers are welcome to ask questions which will make one think, they are also welcome to ask questions about what one thinks and the doubts you have. But they are not given the license to be disrespectful to what one believes or to act as if one were some sort of target for evangelization.

Shakyamunison

debbiejo
Yes, cause the next step after they come to your church is to become a member, which mean you have to tithe at least 10% if not more. I remember hearing statistics on how a person would convert after being witnessed to approx. 32 times...So, if they didn't do it on your shift, so to speak, it would be done by another.

Atlantis001

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.