The New Seven Wonders?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imperial_Samura
The New Seven Wonders Project is a group who aim to bring attention to the destruction of man-made heritage, and to this end established a large scale web poll in 2000 with the intent of formulating an updated list of seven existing man made wonders, to be announced on New Years Day next year. Revenue from the project is ear-marked, apparently, for various global restoration works, such as the Bamiyan Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban.

Recently they revealed the short list based upon 5 years of votes, which follows in no particular order:

1. Great Wall, China
2. Taj Mahal, India
3. Colosseum, Italy
4. Statues of Easter Island, Chile
5. Eiffel Tower, France
6. Machu Picchu, Peru
7. Kremlin, Russia
8. Alhambra, Spain
9. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
10. Statue of Liberty, USA
11. Hagia Sophia, Turkey
12. Sydney Opera House, Australia
13. Petra, Jordan
14. Timbuktu, Mali
15. Acropolis, Athens, Greece
16. Stonehenge, United Kingdom
17. Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
18. Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
19. Kiyomizu Temple, Japan
20. Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
21. Pyramids of Chichen Itza, Mexico.

These marvals beat out other notable landmarks like the Empire State Building, the Panama Canal and Big Ben in terms of votes.

So, what do you think should have made the list? And which Seven should take it out (from the list or elsewhere)?

http://www.new7wonders.com

Fire
the webby is still not working for me.
However I vote for: The Great Wall of China, The Colosseum, The Taj Mahal, The Pyramid of Gizeh, StoneHenge, The Acropolis and The Alhambra.

mechmoggy
What about KMC?

Surely we should be somewhere in that list! wink

Fire
it needs to have architectural value Mechy stick out tongue

mechmoggy
It's a well-built website. stick out tongue

Fire
doubt architects would see your point stick out tongue

mechmoggy
Well... they're wrong.

So there. stick out tongue

bogen
yeah MC kills all of em. easy! big grin .
they should atleast put up KMC headquaters, Raz'es house or office.

§noopbert
Originally posted by mechmoggy
Well... they're wrong.

So there. stick out tongue laughing out loud Nice one Mech.

GCG
The oldest pile of rocks in the world - The Hagar Qim Temples.

debbiejo
I don't know, that's a pretty good list! How about area 51?

botankus
I vote for Michigan Stadium. That's huge!

debbiejo
Well, we have two now...One has a ferriswheel and other amusment rides.pizza

Uhh never been to the new one though.....

botankus
I meant this one, the largest collegiate stadium in the US:

debbiejo
Oh...that one...I was talking about the one in Detoit, not the college one...and ummmmm haven't been to that one either. embarrasment

GCG
I think that in order to qualify for a wonder of the world, it needs to be an amazing feat constructed by man. Something that not only attracts as an eye candy, but has to be singular in its originality.

Atlantis001
Never saw any of those, not even Christ the Redeemer.

debbiejo
How about the Grand Canyon made by god.........It is a pretty cool thing. Not anything else like it in the world....And we have it right here in the US.

jaden101
as an old wonder i would've said the giant buddha statues in afghanistan but seeing as the taliban blew them up before we blew the taliban up...

http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/images/AfghanistanBauort1-l.jpg

as for a modern wonder...i would say the Millau bridge in France

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Millau_Bridge_over_Tarn_River_France.jpg

Hit_and_Miss
that bridge is beautiful... But I would have to say big ben... Sorry but my pride in my country says I have to vote for anything over france...stick out tongue

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
that bridge is beautiful... But I would have to say big ben... Sorry but my pride in my country says I have to vote for anything over france...stick out tongue

What about Stonehenge?

Personally I don't think Australia's opera house should be on there (yes, I love it... but there are just so many other things.) I would be very happy if the Hagia Sophia made it to the final seven, even if it's lost a lot of the glory and gold it had in it's Byzantine days.

I think it'll have to duke it out with the natural wonders big grin I don't think God ever graduated from his architects course.

Hit_and_Miss
I never quite got stone henge... its not really that impressive is it... couple of stones in a circle.. plagued by Gypsies every so often.. Not really as inspiring as a waterfall, or a huge freakin rock...

Sure its English, But Big Ben actual does something/looks good....

Imperial_Samura
I never quite got stone henge... its not really that impressive is it... couple of stones in a circle.. plagued by Gypsies every so often.. Not really as inspiring as a waterfall, or a huge freakin rock...

Sure its English, But Big Ben actual does something/looks good....

Maybe that's the secret of Stonehenge... the ancient druids built it to attract Gypsies... like moths to a flame. Makes more sense then something to do with aliens.

And your quite right, Big Ben is quite iconic, I like it, I'd probably have had it on the short list. I wonder why some people voted as they did?

And the Millau bridge is quite wonderful, I wonder if I could get a travel grant to go and see it...

Hit_and_Miss
Dam those druids....

I quite liked angel falls... something about falling water...

Capt_Fantastic
The Pyramids of Giza are the only structures left from th original 'seven wonders', so should it really be a part of the "New Seven Wonders"? I mean, I think they belong at the top of any list, given the time, tools and resources of the builders. But, the "New Seven Wonders" should be, well...new. You know, modern.

silver_tears
I'm a little disgusted the C.N. Tower isn't on there stick out tongue
It's the tallest land-based free-standing structure in the world afterall confused

"In 1995, the CN Tower was declared one of the modern Seven Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. It also belongs to the World Federation of Great Towers. The following year, the Guinness Book of World Records officially changed the CN Tower's classification to "World's Tallest Building and Free-Standing Structure" and it retains that title to this day."
Wikipedia

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
The Pyramids of Giza are the only structures left from th original 'seven wonders', so should it really be a part of the "New Seven Wonders"? I mean, I think they belong at the top of any list, given the time, tools and resources of the builders. But, the "New Seven Wonders" should be, well...new. You know, modern.

A good point, but then I guess for some there hasn't really been a lot of modern marvels that could rival the grandeur of the more ancient or ancient architectural marvels like some on the things on the list. Not completely true, but then some can be quite pretentious about classic eras and what they produced - so naturally iconic, older constructions would get more attention to more modern buildings.

I think that could be one of the reasons why they are only aiming to create an updated list without an age limit, instead of having a cut off point for a certain era. The original seven wonders came from different eras, as I guess greatness can transcend time.

Still, I wonder what would be considered great enough to go on a list of modern only wonders... Certainly what silver_tears said, the C.N. Tower would quite possibly be on it.

drunk_nazgul
look, we're creating our own history and destroying our foundations!
FUN!

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
A good point, but then I guess for some there hasn't really been a lot of modern marvels that could rival the grandeur of the more ancient or ancient architectural marvels like some on the things on the list. Not completely true, but then some can be quite pretentious about classic eras and what they produced - so naturally iconic, older constructions would get more attention to more modern buildings.

I think that could be one of the reasons why they are only aiming to create an updated list without an age limit, instead of having a cut off point for a certain era. The original seven wonders came from different eras, as I guess greatness can transcend time.

Still, I wonder what would be considered great enough to go on a list of modern only wonders... Certainly what silver_tears said, the C.N. Tower would quite possibly be on it.

If you want to really get weird, how many of those ancient wonders were built by the "God" favored Christians?

What!?! Not a one!?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
If you want to really get weird, how many of those ancient wonders were built by the "God" favored Christians?

What!?! Not a one!?

Heheh. True, true. Sun Cults, pagans, mortuary cults - definitely no Christians associated with the original seven wonders, yet we still all held in awe by them (despite 6 of the seven not really existing any more.) But yes, maybe the Christian world never did build any thing that would seem to match the original seven...

Though it seems a good bit of stone work, something grand, can transcend religion and time. Maybe Christians should take note. Even important parts of the Vatican were "appropriated" from their former pagan owners. Orthodox Christians build the Hagia Sophia, but the Turks happily converted it.

Hit_and_Miss
How about then you rule out anything that hasn't been created in the last 200 years, out with the old... In with the new

KharmaDog
No CN Tower? WTF!

Imperial_Samura
How about then you rule out anything that hasn't been created in the last 200 years, out with the old... In with the new

I guess they could have done that, but the whole thing is about all of humanities heratige, old and new, and it's not really the new that are in danger.

That, and I imagine it wouldn't of interested as many people if it was all modern works, because the new are not always as iconic or wonderous - most people know off the Taj Mahal and the like, they have earned their reputation over many years, but some modern structures are very limited in terms of the numbers who know of them. Most of the landmarks on the short list wouldn't be there with a cut off date of 500 years even.

Storm
My vote would go to the Great Wall, the Taj Mahal, the Colosseum, the Alhambra, Angkor Wat, Petra, the Acropolis, Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza.

KharmaDog
Aren't there the "natural seven wonders of the world", the "ancient seven wonders of the world" and so on?

Hit_and_Miss
I don't know... All I know is that the 8th wonder was andre the giant...

overlord
I don't like modern 'seven world wonders'. The old ones are much more impressive in terms of mythologicy and 'wonders'. stick out tongue

mechmoggy
Isn't "big ben" just the bell, and not the building?

Hit_and_Miss
yes it is the bell... But the whole clock tower is refered to by a whole, not its parts...

mechmoggy
The houses of parliament?

Hit_and_Miss
thats a seperate building, but is often brought up in convo at the same time as the bell/clock tower

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Aren't there the "natural seven wonders of the world", the "ancient seven wonders of the world" and so on?

Yes, natural wonders (non-man made), the ancient wonders which is for many the definitive wish, although most are gone now.

Ah yes, the great Andre, the world was poorer with his passing.. Maybe we could rebuild the Colossus of Rhodes in his image.

Storm
Originally posted by KharmaDog
The Seven Wonders of the World or the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are widely known. In imitation, other list saw the daylight such as the seven natural wonders of the world, but there' s no consensus.

Ushgarak
Re: Big Ben's building- it's popular to call it 'St. Stephen's Tower', but there doesn't actually seem to be any reason to do so.

It's officially known as 'The Clock Tower' or sometimes 'Big Ben's Clock Tower'

Anyway, it's pretty iconic, either way.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Re: Big Ben's building- it's popular to call it 'St. Stephen's Tower', but there doesn't actually seem to be any reason to do so.

It's officially known as 'The Clock Tower' or sometimes 'Big Ben's Clock Tower'

Anyway, it's pretty iconic, either way.

I generally hear people refer to it as Big Ben.

A synecdochical reference that, to me, has become more effective than the actual building name.

Ushgarak
But still spectacularly wrong from any objective perspective.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
But still spectacularly wrong from any objective perspective.

Metonymy tends to manifest when striking features contrast against plain, so it seems a little unfair; the building is hardly pedestrian.

I suppose it's just shorthand laziness.

mechmoggy
Wouldn't shorthand laziness be: -

shrthnd lazenez.

Victor Von Doom
Awful.

River Wild
The Millau bridge in France was really incredible, wish to be there one of these days!

Storm
11 days left to vote.

After the complaints from Egypt, the pyramids of Giza were given special status as Honorary New7Wonders Candidate and removed from the voting list. "The pyramids are the only one of the seven wonders of the ancient world that still exists. It' s ridiculous, they don't need to be put to a vote", dixit Zahi Hawass.

Strangelove
I forget what exactly I voted for (it was a while back), but I believe that I voted for Machu Picchu, Stonehenge, The Great Wall, Kiyomizu Temple, The statues of Easter Island, Petra, and Christ the Redeemer

Robtard
Christ did not find your sarcasm amusing. erm

Strangelove
Originally posted by Robtard
Christ did not find your sarcasm amusing. erm Hey, just because I don't give a shit about Jesus doesn't mean I can't enjoy a statue of him 313

Storm
I eventually voted for the Acropolis, the Alhambra, the Colosseum, Machu Picchu, Petra, Stonehenge and the Taj Mahal.

JacopeX
I VOTED MACHU PICHU at the time!!! big grin Happy Dance smile

Bardock42
Hmm, people don't seem to appreciate modern architecture, really.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hmm, people don't seem to appreciate modern architecture, really. Elaborate.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JacopeX
Elaborate.

No.

Figure it out yourself, moron.

JacopeX
No.

Figure it out yourself, moron. Sigh...

I just want you to explain, why would you say that. You did say Modern.

Bardock42
Sigh...

I just want you to explain, why would you say that. You did say Modern.

And you somehow feel that it is not obvious?

~Flamboyant~
Wasn't the Saturn V one of the candidates? I'm upset that didn't make it.

ADarksideJedi
I VOTED MACHU PICHU at the time!!! big grin Happy Dance smile i

I like everyone of them.They are the wonders of the world!jm smile

Robtard
And you somehow feel that it is not obvious?

Forgive him, he must suffer from trisomy 21, it's the only logical explanation.

Fishy
Stupid list... The old wonders were way cooler. Seriously why would we need new world wonders anyway?

Not to mention that apparently Brazil cheated by lobbying for the Jesus statue above Rio.

Bicnarok
Heres my opinion.

1.The great wall:= just a big wall nothing special.
2. Taj Mahal, India:= Yes
3. Colosseum, Italy:= too modern and nothing special compared to others, No wonder
4. Statues of Easter Island, Chile. = Yes
5. Eiffel Tower, France:- = just a building no wonder.
6. Machu Picchu, Peru:= never heard of it
7. Kremlin, Russia:- = are you JOking (no wonder)?
8. Alhambra, Spain= Been there seen it, amazing definetly a wonder.
9. Angkor Wat, Cambodia:- =Not enough info to judge
10. Statue of Liberty, USA:= now someone IS joking
11. Hagia Sophia, Turkey:= Wonder
12. Sydney Opera House, Australia:= , no wonder
13. Petra, Jordan:= Never heard of it
14. Timbuktu, Mali:= the mountain??
15. Acropolis, Athens, Greece:= its totally ruined nothing to wonder about here
16. Stonehenge, United Kingdom:= definetly a wonder
17. Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany:= seen this, is crap. the pictures mislead the truth.
18. Pyramids of Giza, Egypt:= Obviously a wonder
19. Kiyomizu Temple, Japan:= no
20. Christ the Redeemer, Brazil:= no
21. Pyramids of Chichen Itza, Mexico.:= definetly

Fishy
So wait, you think the Hagia Sophia is a wonder but the Colosseum which was a freaking architectural miracle is not?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
So wait, you think the Hagia Sophia is a wonder but the Colosseum which was a freaking architectural miracle is not?

People are idiots. You didn't know?

exanda kane
They missed out Camden Lock.

Alliance
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
The New Seven Wonders Project is a group who aim to bring attention to the destruction of man-made heritage, and to this end established a large scale web poll in 2000 with the intent of formulating an updated list of seven existing man made wonders, to be announced on New Years Day next year. Revenue from the project is ear-marked, apparently, for various global restoration works, such as the Bamiyan Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban.

Recently they revealed the short list based upon 5 years of votes, which follows in no particular order:

1. Great Wall, China
2. Taj Mahal, India
3. Colosseum, Italy
4. Statues of Easter Island, Chile
5. Eiffel Tower, France
6. Machu Picchu, Peru
7. Kremlin, Russia
8. Alhambra, Spain
9. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
10. Statue of Liberty, USA
11. Hagia Sophia, Turkey
12. Sydney Opera House, Australia
13. Petra, Jordan
14. Timbuktu, Mali
15. Acropolis, Athens, Greece
16. Stonehenge, United Kingdom
17. Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
18. Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
19. Kiyomizu Temple, Japan
20. Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
21. Pyramids of Chichen Itza, Mexico.

These marvals beat out other notable landmarks like the Empire State Building, the Panama Canal and Big Ben in terms of votes.

So, what do you think should have made the list? And which Seven should take it out (from the list or elsewhere)?

http://www.new7wonders.com

I think this is effing rediculous...like the common man has any idea what constitutes architectural significance and legacy.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Alliance
I think this is effing rediculous...like the common man has any idea what constitutes architectural significance and legacy. I think the rationale might have been that only the people who actually care would vote.

Strangelove

Rogue Jedi
what happened to the astrodome?

Alliance
Like Chicen Itza ( I assume they mean El Castillo), Christ the Redeemer, and Machu Picchu have architectural legacy. TOTAL BULLSHIT. Petra and Taj are nice, but not wonders. The only real WONDER on that list is the Colosseum.

Rogue Jedi
nice sig.

Alliance
Thanks.

Bardock42
Like Chicen Itza ( I assume they mean El Castillo), Christ the Redeemer, and Machu Picchu have architectural legacy. TOTAL BULLSHIT. Petra and Taj are nice, but not wonders. The only real WONDER on that list is the Colosseum.

Well, then again it is not necessarily a list of the most influential architecture. I mean, the real seven wonders weren't either.

Robtard

Great Wall of China isn't? Think of the engineering it took to build that thing, certain parts of are a ****ing marvel.

Strangelove
Like Chicen Itza ( I assume they mean El Castillo), Christ the Redeemer, and Machu Picchu have architectural legacy. TOTAL BULLSHIT. Petra and Taj are nice, but not wonders. The only real WONDER on that list is the Colosseum. Architectural achievement isn't the sole determiner of "wonder" status, doofus.

Fishy
Originally posted by Strangelove
Architectural achievement isn't the sole determiner of "wonder" status, doofus.

It sure as hell is important, what else would qualify what is a wonder or not? How useful it is to people? How many people benefit from it? In which case I would like to nominate three Dutch structures which protect our most important economical area's and 4 of our 12 provinces from flooding and losing about half their land at least..

Or perhaps just how well known it is or how much a government can lobby for it? Because that's the reason the Jesus statue is on that list.

Bardock42
Architectural achievement isn't the sole determiner of "wonder" status, doofus.

Haha, you called yourself doofus...oh...no wait...I just can't see the difference between you two.

Robtard
edit.

Bardock42
Yea, thanks, I know, asshat... I just can't see how he could saw "Yes" to the Colosseum and "No" to the Great Wall.

Huh? How are we alike? Read that over my gay friend.

Robtard
Read that over my gay friend.

I did, still don't see, please clarify. Not gay though.

Bardock42
I did, still don't see, please clarify. Not gay though.

Well, now, my certainly gay friend, read who he quoted. Then read it over.

Robtard
Well, now, my certainly gay friend, read who he quoted. Then read it over.

Ah shit, I see; I erred... I wil fix. If by gay you mean "happy", then sure.

xmarksthespot
Hehe Robtard has been officially gayed by Bardock.

Frankly the Colisseum is meh, compared to the Great Wall, to me at least... but I'm not an architect.

Robtard
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Hehe Robtard has been officially gayed by Bardock.

Frankly the Colisseum is meh, compared to the Great Wall, to me at least... but I'm not an architect.

I constantly have my psychic "gay shields" up; yes, even when I sleep.

Most people have only seen pictures of the nice "flat" areas the Great Wall is built on, there's sections where it sharply zigzags and is built at crazy angles, that's what impresses me most.

Strangelove
It sure as hell is important, what else would qualify what is a wonder or not? How useful it is to people? How many people benefit from it? In which case I would like to nominate three Dutch structures which protect our most important economical area's and 4 of our 12 provinces from flooding and losing about half their land at least..

Or perhaps just how well known it is or how much a government can lobby for it? Because that's the reason the Jesus statue is on that list. Of course it's important, but it's certainly not the most important.

Just to clarify, for a site to get UNESCO World Heritage Site status, it must be of "outstanding universal value" and meet one of the following 10 criteria:

While important, architecture is not and should not be the only criterium for something to be "wonder"

Fishy
Of course it's important, but it's certainly not the most important.

Just to clarify, for a site to get UNESCO World Heritage Site status, it must be of "outstanding universal value" and meet one of the following 10 criteria:

While important, architecture is not and should not be the only criterium for something to be "wonder"

It's still pretty damn important.

I mean these few things

http://www.minbuza.nl/binaries/afbeeldingen-nieuw/foto-album/nederland-in-beelden/detailfoto-s/067.jpg

http://ontwikkel.thinkquest.nl/~lla076/images/illustrations/31.1.jpg

http://www.netcoast.nl/coastlearn/website/pp/images/maeslantkering.jpg

All match those criteria none of them are on the list? Probably because they are modern and ugly. Not to mention although brilliant probably a bit easier to create then something like the great wall or the Colosseum because of the time frame.

So why aren't those things on the list and why are these other things? Why the hell was the Jesus statue in Rio considered a wonder if it has to meet those criteria, because in my eyes it sure as hell doesn't. This list is screwed up, there are only a few real wonders on there and those that were elected certainly aren't all wonders.

chillmeistergen
Because bridges are boring.

botankus
I'd like to vote for my backyard. Never has one man fought through weeds as much as I have, only to have to do it all again the next day when they break through my weed control tarps, chemicals, and root-plucking and grow back.

Robtard
Originally posted by botankus
I'd like to vote for my backyard. Never has one man fought through weeds as much as I have, only to have to do it all again the next day when they break through my weed control tarps, chemicals, and root-plucking and grow back.

Burn it down to nothing but ashes, then salt the earth.

Fishy
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Because bridges are boring.

Exactly my point they choose other less qualified structures over those because they are older and far more interesting architecturally speaking, meaning it certainly is the most important factor in deciding what becomes a wonder and what does not... All the other points mentioned are just there to make them seem even more interesting.

btw: those aren't bridges...

Bicnarok

Yep.

The colosseum is no miracle, just a pile of bricks like the Hagia, the hagia is just cuter

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Yep.

The colosseum is no miracle, just a pile of bricks like the Hagia, the hagia is just cuter

J-just a pile of bricks?

Robtard
Yep.

The "History Channel" did a great show on the Colosseum, showing the great feats that had to be accomplished to build it and what it looked like when it was new/newer and functioning. You should really watch it, or in the very least read up on the Colosseum's history before you declare it "just a pile of bricks", asshat.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Marvels-Colosseum-History-Channel/dp/B000NDIATM

Netflix has it too, if you subscribe.

Strangelove
It's still pretty damn important.

I mean these few things

http://www.minbuza.nl/binaries/afbeeldingen-nieuw/foto-album/nederland-in-beelden/detailfoto-s/067.jpg

http://ontwikkel.thinkquest.nl/~lla076/images/illustrations/31.1.jpg

http://www.netcoast.nl/coastlearn/website/pp/images/maeslantkering.jpg

All match those criteria none of them are on the list? Probably because they are modern and ugly. Not to mention although brilliant probably a bit easier to create then something like the great wall or the Colosseum because of the time frame.

So why aren't those things on the list and why are these other things? Why the hell was the Jesus statue in Rio considered a wonder if it has to meet those criteria, because in my eyes it sure as hell doesn't. This list is screwed up, there are only a few real wonders on there and those that were elected certainly aren't all wonders. Again, I only posted that list for example's sake. I doubt that any of those three sites you posted are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. And I wasn't saying that any UNESCO World Heritage site should automatically be considered for "wonder" status. I was just illustrating that architecture is not and should not be the sole determiner, as Alliance seemed to imply.

vinz07
Why the Philippines famous Banaue Rice Terraces was not included in the seven wonders of the world????? confused

Alliance
Yep.

no expression

Even if you doubt its status as an engineering marvel, it was te model for every subsequent stadium in the world. That is called LEGACY

(something minor, albeit beautiful, ruins in South America DONT EFFING HAVE)

This whole American Idol of World Wonders is a giant aggravating POS.

vinz07
there are lots of wonders in this world!!!!last time this banaue rice terraces in the philippines included in the list..but now why????

vinz07
This is the philippine heritage....The Banaue Rice Terraces

dsilva
I WAS'NT VERY PLEASED OR FOR THAT MATTER CONCERNED WITH THE LIST. THIS LIST {according to me} DOES NOT HOLD ANY SUBSTANTIAL VALUE, AS IT IS ONLY POPULAR OPINION THAT HAVE GOTTEN THE WINNERS THEIR CROWNING GLORY. roll eyes (sarcastic)
THOUGH IM NOT SURE IF THIS WILL BE DOCUMENTED, IM HOPEING NOT.

vinz07
Exactly!!!i think popularity doesn't matters....it is the heritage!!!!!

Alliance
Originally posted by vinz07
there are lots of wonders in this world!!!!last time this banaue rice terraces in the philippines included in the list..but now why????

they're not wonderful...they're fricking farmland.

No architectural significance.
Very little engineering.
Horrible environmental effects.
Zero orginality.
Zero legacy.

botankus
Burn it down to nothing but ashes, then salt the earth.

That might be the way to go. For example, the daisies I planted are dead, while a stray bunch are somehow growing on their own in the middle of the backyard.

Fishy
Again, I only posted that list for example's sake. I doubt that any of those three sites you posted are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. And I wasn't saying that any UNESCO World Heritage site should automatically be considered for "wonder" status. I was just illustrating that architecture is not and should not be the sole determiner, as Alliance seemed to imply.

And it really should be the most important factor, because like said my examples fit more of the requirements then a few of the new wonders of the world, and they aren't wonders. And I'm sure there are many more out there exactly like that. So why those stupid things and not the other more impressive things that fit the requirements more?

Or why not just the wonders we already had, they were nice enough.

Bardock42
And it really should be the most important factor, because like said my examples fit more of the requirements then a few of the new wonders of the world, and they aren't wonders. And I'm sure there are many more out there exactly like that. So why those stupid things and not the other more impressive things that fit the requirements more?

Or why not just the wonders we already had, they were nice enough. Cause people are morons.

I am sure I stated that before.

Fishy
Cause people are morons.

I am sure I stated that before.

Yeah but I wasn't really asking you, just the person who claimed there was a good reason. When there clearly isn't, well except for perhaps the one you gave.. If you could call that good.

Strangelove

Or why not just the wonders we already had, they were nice enough. You are mistaking the meaning (again). Those requirements are not for Wonders of the World. They are requirements for UNESCO World Heritage status. The initial run and finalists of the New 7 Wonders on the website were nominated and voted on by people online.

And while I agree that architecture should be an important part (if not the most important part) of choosing "wonders", it is not and should not be the only aspect (which seemed to be Alliance's position, as I've said before)

And the 7 Wonders were updated a) because only a handful of people decided the original seven wonders and they were picking only from the Mediterranean and Middle East; the online voting is decidedly more egalitarian and b) all but 1 of the original wonders have been destroyed, and 1 might not even have existed.

Fishy
You are mistaking the meaning (again). Those requirements are not for Wonders of the World. They are requirements for UNESCO World Heritage status. The initial run and finalists of the New 7 Wonders on the website were nominated and voted on by people online.

And while I agree that architecture should be an important part (if not the most important part) of choosing "wonders", it is not and should not be the only aspect (which seemed to be Alliance's position, as I've said before)

And the 7 Wonders were updated a) because only a handful of people decided the original seven wonders and they were picking only from the Mediterranean and Middle East; the online voting is decidedly more egalitarian and b) all but 1 of the original wonders have been destroyed, and 1 might not even have existed.

Okay, well in that case I can agree with you.

However there is plenty of reasons that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon did indeed exist, just not at Babylon.. Which should really mean it just needs a name change.

Also this voting is not really something that should just be left to the public, at least not if they want us to take the list seriously. Brazil lobbied with their people to make them vote. I don't know how it is where you live, but nobody did that here, and I doubt any other country did.

Not to mention the legacy of something even if destroyed and the beauty it must have held while still being around, can sometimes many times be more important then some stupid statue standing over Rio. I'd still rate many of those things that used to be wonders more important and more amazing then those newly chosen ones.

Bardock42

Well, that makes more sense though. A sholar that has an idea talking about it. Not the masses that just have one favourite for a more or less stupid reason.

Strangelove
Well, that makes more sense though. A sholar that has an idea talking about it. Not the masses that just have one favourite for a more or less stupid reason. True, but the fact that all seven were in the Mediterranean and Middle East still stands. The worldwide system works better.

Bardock42
True, but the fact that all seven were in the Mediterranean and Middle East still stands. The worldwide system works better.

I dunno

The thing is it's not seven wonders because seven is such an awesome number, but because there happened to be seven great wonders. Why do we have to get 7 now? Makes no sense. We could just have a chart of the great wonders of our time..you know?

Robtard
I dunno

The thing is it's not seven wonders because seven is such an awesome number, but because there happened to be seven great wonders. Why do we have to get 7 now? Makes no sense. We could just have a chart of the great wonders of our time..you know?

"The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on our Capacity for Processing Information"

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Miller/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.