Key Character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aurora
Let's get this forum back on track here..... LOTR movie and book related that is.

Who do you think the key character in the movies/books? Hard as it is narrow it down to one if you can.

Aurora
Personally I think that Gollum is the Key character. Without him the journey that Frodo makes would not have happened and the ring wouldn't have been the destroyed. What I love about the story line with Gollum is he is the only character that truley sticks out in Middle Earth as good and evil.

Tolkein designed LOTR wonderfully as a world of extreme good and extreme evil. And in one character the extremes of each are working against each other. I think it is brilliant!

A.D. Skinner
Interesting topic....

As for a Key Character...I would have to say it would be the One Ring

Without the ring itself, Gollum would not have so quickly turned bad from good...nor would Frodo and others been effected by it.
The Ring itself is linked to each and every of the characters in the book and movies, and without it, would make the story pointless and uneventful.

Aurora
True I hadn't thought about the ring.....

DanielLB
The One? Iluvatar is the key character!

He made everything happen! Without him......well nothing wouldve happened......................

A.D. Skinner
I think that Tolkien has many messages in his books, and if you sit back and think about certain things...they all become clear.

isn't it interesting how in the prolouge that it states that Sauron created the One Ring to bind them all, into the darkness...

And during the entire length of the books, isn't everyone binded together by the Ring itself ?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Frodo.

DanielLB
Originally posted by A.D. Skinner
I think that Tolkien has many messages in his books, and if you sit back and think about certain things...they all become clear.

isn't it interesting how in the prolouge that it states that Sauron created the One Ring to bind them all, into the darkness...

And during the entire length of the books, isn't everyone binded together by the Ring itself ?

Yes, indeed, like in ROTK elrond says: ''arwens fate is now tide to the fate of the ring''

Aurora
Originally posted by DanielLB
The One? Iluvatar is the key character!

He made everything happen! Without him......well nothing wouldve happened......................

Yes he is the key character in ME but he had no control over the making of the ring or of the events that happened after.

I think that in a way Eru was fooled, he had ME all planned out and sent the Valar to design and prepare it. But from the begining things were done w/o his knowledge and permission.

DanielLB
But he contrlled who was born and everything didnt he? If we take it on a whole scale then Eru would be the key character beacuse if he had done soemthing diff. everyhting wouldve changed.

On a smaller scale, maybe Gollum and the One Ring were key characters but were all made under the original influence of Eru, even though he was not directly involved

Aurora
Originally posted by DanielLB
But he contrlled who was born and everything didnt he? If we take it on a whole scale then Eru would be the key character beacuse if he had done soemthing diff. everyhting wouldve changed.

I disagree. He might have in the long run controlled when they were reborn but he did not create the Dwarf.

I agree that Eru is a key character but on a larger scale. On a smaller scale was my aim. big grin

DanielLB
Originally posted by Aurora
I disagree. He might have in the long run controlled when they were reborn but he did not create the Dwarf.

I agree that Eru is a key character but on a larger scale. On a smaller scale was my aim. big grin

lol, sorry i like jumping in and making bigger thingsbig grin. well on smaller scale..........the ring or gollum deffiantly. also possible Samwise the Brave, as Frodo wouldve not been able to achieve his mission without sam

Exabyte

ESB - 1138
I will have to say the key character is Frodo Baggins. Tolkien showed everyone through the actions of Frodo that you don't have to be a great warrior like Aragon or a powerful wizard like Gandalf to save the world. Even the smallest of us can change the fate of an entire world. Not to mention Frodo has had to endure more throughout the books/movies then the other members of the fellowship (expect for maybe Samwise).

Darkman87
I think the key character is Aragorn because his behaviours affected the following events.

DanielLB
Of LOTR maybe but not many?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.