Religion in ME?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aurora
It has always made me wonder... Why do you think that Tolkien left religion out of LOTR since he himself was such a religious person? I know that the Sill. is almost like the bible of ME. But he makes no referrence to any of it in LOTR really.

DanielLB
Maybe he thought it was improtant to write a story about creation and war etc similar to the Bible but not include religion so it was verly much like the Bilbe.

Flying High
maybe he didnt want to single a religion out...like make the book hard for those who follow different religions get into it or something...

Neix
I agree with flying. When writing a book and telling a story, it's important not to be a patron to a single idea.

exanda kane
Damn - I heard the reason for this once...but I've forgotten...something like "with all the fantastical elements of ME, theres was no need for a divine entity, for so much of ME was already filled or touched by them"...

Something along those lines anyway.

bogen
firstly theres heaps of refernce to religion if you spot them.
valanor, home of the valar is like the meca of ME.

if you read the silmarilions you'd know that the valar ( god) are in valanor and souron himself is or was a minor god.

and there is one religion in ME, and theres nothing to contest that because they know just by looking mordor way.

Flying High
there's only a creator...no noe prays to him or anything :s

Uberking Robert
http://www.touchstonemag.com/docs/issues/15.1docs/15-1pg29.html

Read that. It shows you that LOTR is very religious (Christian, in fact). And I'm well aware that Tolkien already said that nothing he wrote was supposed to have anything to do with his experiences in WW1 but I think that statement ought to be ignored.

exanda kane
Originally posted by exanda kane
Damn - I heard the reason for this once...but I've forgotten...something like "with all the fantastical elements of ME, theres was no need for a divine entity, for so much of ME was already filled or touched by them"...

Something along those lines anyway.

I am correct.

bogen
why pray when you are absoloutly sure they exist and hear you every word?

exanda kane
exactly

Belegūr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.