The End of Middle Earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aurora
How do you think that Tolkien invisioned the end of ME? There was a begining but no end written.

Would Eru have destroyed it?

Would Men really have ruled forever?

Maybe the Elves returned?

Kind openended.... any thoughts?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Well, It'd be really nice if Man ruled M.E for as long as the world would let them, and Elves made their come-backs. That'd be a perfect Middle Earth, that would.

DanielLB

DanielLB
edit: sorry about that, didnt mean to post twice

Aurora
Yes my version of The Sill has an open ending with out the revealed ending.

Aurora
Did that make sense?

A.D. Skinner
Who is to say that Middle Earth would have an end ? Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in respect to his surroundings. During the time in which he was in the war, he created Middle Earth, the beings that lived there and the adventures that they partook in...

But one must think, that there are ties to many of the things we know of today in LOTR....therefore, one must also consider that Tolkien never envisioned an end to this world, much as he never would have considered Earth itself being destroyed.

In the end, he gave M.E. to the race of Men...it was their time to rule, for he saw that they were the species that would best use their surroundings and thrive from it.

With Sauron defeated...would there be another evil that grew from the shadows..would there be reason to keep the armies of Gondor and Rohan ? I think in the end, Tolkien wanted peace...harmony with the different species.

exanda kane
Didn't he plan to write a sequel to lotR, but shortly gave up because he thought it would just be a retelling of the fall of Numenor?

Shadow x 20
Middle-Earth is Britain's mythology. Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings to give Britain its own mythology and thus Britain may be Middle-Earth.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Shadow x 20
Middle-Earth is Britain's mythology. Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings to give Britain its own mythology and thus Britain may be Middle-Earth.

We'd have our own British mythology if the bleedin' French didnt invade mad

DanielLB

It wasnt really written as Middle-Earth as Britan but more as Europe as Middle-Earthsmile

Ushgarak

No- an ENGLISH mythology, as he specifies.

Particular because he was mindful that Britain already had one in the form of King Arthur.

Uberking Robert
Yeah, but from what I heard Tolkien didn't like the Arthurian tales. They say he wanted to create the whole LOTR thing as Britain's mythology because he thought that the Arthurian tales were imported French dog crap. Personally I think that's nonsense; there's nothing that French about the Arthurian tales and I enjoyed them much more than Tolkien ever made anyways. Personally I think King Arthur could kick Aragorn's ass (I think I heard that Arthur had killed ancient giants or something).

exanda kane
No, it wasn't Arthurian tales that came from France, it was the Robin Hood legend. The Arthurian came from the east by crusaders visiting England.

Aragorn could take on a troll, note that the troll in RotK was a last minute replacement for a supposed Sauron, but it never made it past production, so therefore we can just forget about it.

Belegūr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.