Theme Implication

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
I thought this would be a nice thread to open, regarding the various musical themes used by John Williams throughout the Star Wars saga.

Themes are used to imply something, usually. Simplest one can be a theme that is used for a character, to imply that that person is present or is being spoken of or will appear shortly or...the list goes on.

But hey, not everyone thinks the same thing about a theme. For example...

The Imperial March usually implies that Darth Vader is around or being talked about, but it could be broadened to the Imperial forces, or the Sith, or the Dark Side of the Force in general.

So, what are your views on the themes? Some are pretty simple, A = A type of stuff, like Across the Stars. But the Force theme would be more complicated.

Also, as a side game...count how many themes there are in the entire trilogy! It's a big list. wink

spekdah
i think overall the themes are still sorta reminisent of old fantasy movies. The standout theme in the latest trilogy for me was the openeing classic theme at the space battle in ROTS with the accompanying drums . " BOM ! BOM! ........BOM! BOM!....... " that was cool.

Tangible God
I'm always gonna relate the fast-rolling choir of TPM to Maul, though I think it was used later on too.

Lyn
Originally posted by Captain REX
I thought this would be a nice thread to open, regarding the various musical themes used by John Williams throughout the Star Wars saga.

Themes are used to imply something, usually. Simplest one can be a theme that is used for a character, to imply that that person is present or is being spoken of or will appear shortly or...the list goes on.

But hey, not everyone thinks the same thing about a theme. For example...

The Imperial March usually implies that Darth Vader is around or being talked about, but it could be broadened to the Imperial forces, or the Sith, or the Dark Side of the Force in general.

So, what are your views on the themes? Some are pretty simple, A = A type of stuff, like Across the Stars. But the Force theme would be more complicated.

Also, as a side game...count how many themes there are in the entire trilogy! It's a big list. wink
I notice that as you said there are those themes that apply to one thing, like the Love Theme... but there are also, like you mentioned... those themes that while they seem to crop up for a particular character or relationship, they can apply elsewhere. In the OT, Leia's Theme and the sort of romantic theme she shares with Han is used a lot. Even just to identify the Rebels.

I love that the Force Theme is used right through in so many different ways.

DucLangur
The Emperor's theme with the male chorus. It relates to him when he is in the room, or he is near. But it also has become a theme of the sith. It was used in "Knighting Of Darth Vader", after Mace Windu is killed. It was also used when Anakin says, "I killed them". It seems to be used as a theme for the sith now.

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by DucLangur
The Emperor's theme with the male chorus. It relates to him when he is in the room, or he is near. But it also has become a theme of the sith. It was used in "Knighting Of Darth Vader", after Mace Windu is killed. It was also used when Anakin says, "I killed them". It seems to be used as a theme for the sith now. laughing

DucLangur
What's so funny?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.